Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby xXocea » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 am

^^ It's definitely possible. It's genetically possible for a husky to be white. It's genetically possible for a husky to have a wooly coat. So it's definitely possible for your dog to be both white and wooly, just extremely rare. So she could very well be a purebred Siberian Husky. However without a pedigree you'll never know for sure. With a DNA test you could find that out if your willing to fork out the cash. And with one of them (I believe wisdom panel) it doesn't just tell you the breeds of your dog it'll also look into your dogs genetics to see which hereditary diseases your dog could be susceptible to.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Marley.&.Me » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:50 am

RebelliousWinter wrote:
    ^^ It's definitely possible. It's genetically possible for a husky to be white. It's genetically possible for a husky to have a wooly coat. So it's definitely possible for your dog to be both white and wooly, just extremely rare. So she could very well be a purebred Siberian Husky. However without a pedigree you'll never know for sure. With a DNA test you could find that out if your willing to fork out the cash. And with one of them (I believe wisdom panel) it doesn't just tell you the breeds of your dog it'll also look into your dogs genetics to see which hereditary diseases your dog could be susceptible to.

I would suggest Embark if you want more accurate results. They have a more in depth look.
Marley.&.Me

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby musefart » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 am

I have a dog and am not currently looking for another, I'm just doing this out of curiosity

Have you had dogs before? What breeds? I have had a border collie cross and a mini schnauzer
Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why? Me and my fiancé adore huskys and border collies because of their energy and smooshy faces. I love pit bulls and staffies and English bull terriers.
How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog? All day every day, my collie was a masterful man pup
What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle? I know huskys are very VERY hairy (so are my 3 cats tbh) && my schnauzer needs clipping every few months so I reckon I can handle a bit of grooming
What kind of energy level are you looking for? I can walk for hours and I love cycling with my dog and there are so many fields near me that give plenty of off leash exercise. But I also would love a chilled little snugglebutt
What do you plan on doing with your dog? Loving it
What size dog are you wanting? I love big dogs. But they are not practical for carrying and controlling and they squish you when they sit on you because they all think they're lap dogs.
What age dog are you looking for? I would love to adopt an older dog
What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc) I'm a couch potato mostly but then I have hyper running walking cycling moments for an hour or 2 and my stamina is pretty good.
musefart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am

How do you pick
out a dog trainer? what do you
look for and stuff like that??
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yukinee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 am

Harlow. wrote:How do you pick

i would say look online and look at reviews
you can ask people you know (or people online) what kind of good trainer places in your area
getting other people's opinions is really good!
also, make sure you look for how far away it is, and what kind of dogs they specialize in or do best in. usually everyone has a preference or is good at training a special breed/type of dog ^^

yukinee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tea! » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:26 am

Make sure you look for a positive training only trainer.
    Also feel free to contact one you are thinking
    of working with before actually starting classes.

Lots of research and be sure to check reviews c: .

art above by fiskko @ da

tea!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:45 am

Keriae wrote:
appology wrote:Most of the time when people feed raw they don't do it right.
Muscle meat, often still on the bone.
Bones, either whole or ground.
Organ meats such as livers and kidneys.
Raw eggs.
Vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and celery.
Apples or other fruit.
Some dairy, such as yogurt.
Is some things that pets.webmd says a dogs diet should typically consist of (raw).

If raw makes up more than 20% of the diet, it should be balanced. For PMR, this means a 2-2.5% of body weight is fed, with 80% of this being muscle meat (generally any whole cuts of meat you could get from the store) with 10% bone and 10% organ. Half of this should be liver, and the other half organs such as kidney, spleen, pancreas and brain. Organs such as heart are fed as muscle meat, though things such as intestine often aren’t fed as they lack nutrients.
    Raw eggs, steamed/cooked vegetables and fruit, kefir, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar are optional, but do have benefits. Fish oil should be fed, as well as a vitamin E supplement, as the diet tends to lack in this, though it can be skipped if over 20% of the total diet if fresh fish low in mercury (mackerel, trout, sprays and sardines).

If anyone is interested in feeding raw, you should definitely do heavy research and, if you can, join groups on social media, such as the Raw Feeding Community - which I believe has a blog/website.

Never said as personal knowledge so I don't know why you replied :l This is simply what the source stated
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:55 am

tea! wrote:

Make sure you look for a positive training only trainer.
    Also feel free to contact one you are thinking
    of working with before actually starting classes.

Lots of research and be sure to check reviews c: .

Check out their qualifications. Do they have any formal schooling? Are they certified with any dog training organizations?

Do they train in the area you are interested in? For example if you want to train your dog in agility a trainer that trains and competes in agility then one who does obedience. If you're looking for one who deals with resource guarding you want one who is able and comfortable working in that area. If you want to title your dog and the trainer has never titled a dog in anything, then they're not a good choice for you. If you want a clicker trainer do they do clicker training?

Check reviews and ask for and check references.

https://apdt.com/
http://www.ccpdt.org/
https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/find-a-trainer?source=kpctnavbar

I agree on looking for a positive reinforcement based trainer. Using punishment based training techniques are dangerous and can really mess up your dog.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 am

Find a trainer that uses methods that work for your dog. I prefer balanced training. Positive only training is proven to not work for a majority of dogs, it’s basically shoving treats down the dogs throat when it just decides it wants to listen to you. So you’ll probably end up with a dog that ignores you when it wants, which is not an option for a stubborn breed and more importantly, recall and off leash.

☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby slushy puppy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 am