Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm

skr skrt spaghettios wrote:Yes, that’s what I was trying to say. (Reply to above) Not that they have a higher amount of attacks from just being a pittie, I forgot to add that most are mixes, but “Pitbull attack” sounds scarier than “Dog attack” due to their reputation.

The only time a dog would attack unprovoked would be if it had a psychological issue,
but that can be any breed.

Yes, and also there are attacks where people claim the dog attacked unprovoked either because they aren't educated on dog body language/warning signals, don't respect them, or the dog has been trained not to display them through use of positive punishment.

Dog Chews Recall

Redbarn
Chewy Louie
Good Lovin'
Dentley's Brand

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/redbarn-expands-recall-multiple-brands-dog-chews/
http://www.redbarninc.com/blog/redbarn-pet-products-issues-voluntary-recall-of-dog-chews/
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 am

Octavia got to go watch agility practice last night! Kes and I can’t go back for a few more weeks but I took O to go watch and meet my classmates! She was dying to join in lol. Got to go through the tunnel on the way out which she enjoyed! Everyone loved her and was super impressed by how calm and well behaved she was!

Today she got to herd a guinea out of our pasture and back home which she also loved! I finally found lessons, so I think we will start lessons next Wednesday!

Tomorrow she starts puppy classes, which I am excited about! Hopefully the other dogs in the class don’t drive me nuts 😂
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby recklessgod » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:22 am

So I am in need of an emotional support dog, probably just for around the house or large events (I have PTSD, I'll be going to a therapist soon and I do understand that your supposed to have a note from your therapist to have an ESD.) I just don't know what breed would be best for me, or what breeds would make good support dogs.

let me make it clear that I know that emotional support animals do not have the same rights as service dogs. I do not need you to tell me that, or anything of the sort, specifically if you do not know how PTSD effects a person, or me personally.

Have you had dogs before? What breeds? I have had a Pomeranian, a yorkie, a hound dog, a Weiner dog, and a boxer/pit mix.

Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why? Boxers and pits, the ones I had were very sweet and I know when trained properly they're good dogs.

How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog? It really depends on the day, some days I work and I'm in school from 7:45 to 12:48. But I do have someone who has offered to help me train my new puppy.

What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle? I'd prefer something with short hair, but medium length fur is okay too.

What kind of energy level are you looking for? I'd love a dog that would be happy to go places with me, long walks and going swimming or just outside to sit down. I'm more active when it's warm than when it's cold.
What do you plan on doing with your dog? Like i said, they'll be a type of service dog, they'll also be around younger children.
What size dog are you wanting? Small to medium, nothing huge, preferably. No more than maybe 60 pounds.
What age dog are you looking for? Puppy, preferably, so I can train them myself.
What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc) I'm a moderately active person, it really depends on the weather though cause i get cold very easily.

Anyway, thank you for any help I get, please PM me if you have any advice!
Last edited by recklessgod on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
recklessgod

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:26 am

recklessgod wrote:So I am in need of an emotional support dog, probably just for around the house or large events (I have PTSD, I'll be going to a therapist soon and I do understand that your supposed to have a note from your therapist to have an ESD.) I just don't know what breed would be best for me, or what breeds would make good support dogs.

Have you had dogs before? What breeds? I have had a Pomeranian, a yorkie, a hound dog, a Weiner dog, and a boxer/pit mix.

Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why? Boxers and pits, the ones I had were very sweet and I know when trained properly they're good dogs.

How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog? It really depends on the day, some days I work and I'm in school from 7:45 to 12:48. But I do have someone who has offered to help me train my new puppy.

What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle? I'd prefer something with short hair, but medium length fur is okay too.

What kind of energy level are you looking for? I'd love a dog that would be happy to go places with me, long walks and going swimming or just outside to sit down. I'm more active when it's warm than when it's cold.
What do you plan on doing with your dog? Like i said, they'll be a type of service dog, they'll also be around younger children.
What size dog are you wanting? Small to medium, nothing huge, preferably. No more than maybe 60 pounds.
What age dog are you looking for? Puppy, preferably, so I can train them myself.
What kind of livestyle do you live? (Active, couch potato etc) I'm a moderately active person, it really depends on the weather though cause i get cold very easily.

Anyway, thank you for any help I get, please PM me if you have any advice!

First of all please educate about what rights you as a Emotional Support Dog handler have. You do not have the full access rights that a Service Dog handler would have. Meaning that you are not legally allowed (at least in the US) to have your ESA accompany you into most places that are not pet friendly. So if the "large event" you want to go to does not allow dogs you have no right to bring your ESA with you. Your ESA cannot visit you in the hospital, etc. You do need a doctors note for a ESA. You are legally allowed to have your ESA in housing that otherwise does not allow pets, and you are allowed to take your dog with you in the cabin when you travel via airplane. That's it, you don't have the legal right to bring your ESA into McDonalds, the bank, the fairgrounds, or other public places where dogs are not allowed. Please do not pretend otherwise as it harms other Service Dog handlers and is illegal. Passing your ESA off as a SD when it is not is a federal crime. It only confuses the issue of public access in both businesses and the public's mind and makes it more difficult for SD handlers.

If you require a Service Dog (that performs work and/or specific tasks) then you must be legally disabled. Your dog must be more highly trained (I recommend working with a professional who has experience training SDs) then an ESA (which doesn't require any special training though I advise basic obedience) A SD handler has the right to take their SD with them in public places but the dog must be under the handler's control. For example if you are in the hospital your SD is allowed to be in your room with you but the staff is not required to help you take your dog out to potty if you cannot.

And regardless both ESAs and SDs must be reasonably well behaved in public (no nuisance barking, aggression, eliminating indoors) and clean (no visible fleas, etc.) Otherwise businesses have the legal right to require the handler to remove the dog even if it is a legitimate ESA or SD though they must be willing to serve the handler without the dog.

I don't mean to harp or sound rude, but you need to decide what you really require, an ESA or a SD. That may change what kind of dog is best suited for you. Any breed or mix can make a good ESA and really most any dog you get will be fine as long as it is controllable. Most breeds and mixes can make good SD but the requirements for each job are different and need to be taken into account. But to be clear ESAs are not a type of SD. I recommend you educate yourself better on what the laws are where you live and which type of dog is best for you before you start looking into breeds. Your doctor can likely help you with this.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby heartleafed » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:15 pm

i feel sort of awkward asking this here but i've been trying to do research for my next breed of dog and am having a hard time finding dogs that mesh with my laundry list of traits, so hopefully someone here can help!
      this is, going to be long, sorry about that, but it's a specific list

Have you had dogs before? What breeds?
      yes, we've had dogs my whole life, mostly small breeds (chihuahua, westie, terrier cross)

Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why?
      • scottish collies (smooth): ability to train, sporting potential, energy level, temperment, looks, size, handler focus, overall personality (drawbacks: tendencies toward nervousness, bad eyes, shedding)
      • english setter: nostalgia, personality, handler focus, intelligence, sporting potential, looks, size (drawbacks: higher energy, potential for independence)

How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog?
      around half an hour, or more for more intense training

What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle?
      3-4 times a week with periodic groomer trips, or less (i would prefer something more moderate, i can budge for the right dog so long as it isn't every day)

What kind of energy level are you looking for?
      "medium", i want a dog who can do 1-2 mile walks, ocassional nature treks, and that i can train for agility, but can be mellow at home, i was really looking for a more gregarious walking buddy than my elderly chi, but not a dog who needs intense (hr+ jogs, etc) exercise every day

What do you plan on doing with your dog?
      general companion first and foremost, and a dog i can train and do semi casual sports (agility) with

What size dog are you wanting?
      medium-large, preferably something in the 18-25 shoulder range, i don't want another small dog but also nothing that's giant

What age dog are you looking for?
      puppy, but i wouldn't turn down an older dog if they were perfect for me

What kind of livestyle do you live?
      moderately active, i love walking and doing nature trails but i'm really more of a meandering walk kind of guy than an intense hiker/runner

few things i'm looking for that weren't listed above but are important:
      • can thrive in an apartment (with plenty of exercise of course)
      • smart and can learn more than basic obedience, but isn't smart enough to get bored with too much routine
      • cold weather tolerant
      • potential for doing sports
      • owner oriented but not overly cuddly
      • longevity, 10+ years average would be ideal
      • able to live with other dogs well

• would be nice if the dog was alert with strangers, but not aggressive, but if the dog is overly outgoing that's fine
      • i don't mind much if the breed tends to be noisy, or if they have a big personality, fur type isn't a huge issue either, i think i covered everything else though

i realize there are things i'll have to compromise on, but if i had to pick two i can't it's size and energy

mostly i've been having a hard time finding dogs who aren't by and large too intense for me to handle, i'm keeping mutts as an option but down the list for various personal reasons, but if it ends up being the best option then hey guess i'm getting a mutt
      collies are my top pick at the moment, but attending the club meetups this year are going to be my make or break i think
Image{ mars ` he ` toyhou.se }
heartleafed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:33 pm

leyendecker wrote:
      i feel sort of awkward asking this here but i've been trying to do research for my next breed of dog and am having a hard time finding dogs that mesh with my laundry list of traits, so hopefully someone here can help!
      this is, going to be long, sorry about that, but it's a specific list

Have you had dogs before? What breeds?
      yes, we've had dogs my whole life, mostly small breeds (chihuahua, westie, terrier cross)

Are there any breeds that have already caught your eye? If so, why?
      • scottish collies (smooth): ability to train, sporting potential, energy level, temperment, looks, size, handler focus, overall personality (drawbacks: tendencies toward nervousness, bad eyes, shedding)
      • english setter: nostalgia, personality, handler focus, intelligence, sporting potential, looks, size (drawbacks: higher energy, potential for independence)

How much time a day do you have to devote to training your dog?
      around half an hour, or more for more intense training

What kind of grooming needs are you prepared to handle?
      3-4 times a week with periodic groomer trips, or less (i would prefer something more moderate, i can budge for the right dog so long as it isn't every day)

What kind of energy level are you looking for?
      "medium", i want a dog who can do 1-2 mile walks, ocassional nature treks, and that i can train for agility, but can be mellow at home, i was really looking for a more gregarious walking buddy than my elderly chi, but not a dog who needs intense (hr+ jogs, etc) exercise every day

What do you plan on doing with your dog?
      general companion first and foremost, and a dog i can train and do semi casual sports (agility) with

What size dog are you wanting?
      medium-large, preferably something in the 18-25 shoulder range, i don't want another small dog but also nothing that's giant

What age dog are you looking for?
      puppy, but i wouldn't turn down an older dog if they were perfect for me

What kind of livestyle do you live?
      moderately active, i love walking and doing nature trails but i'm really more of a meandering walk kind of guy than an intense hiker/runner

few things i'm looking for that weren't listed above but are important:
      • can thrive in an apartment (with plenty of exercise of course)
      • smart and can learn more than basic obedience, but isn't smart enough to get bored with too much routine
      • cold weather tolerant
      • potential for doing sports
      • owner oriented but not overly cuddly
      • longevity, 10+ years average would be ideal
      • able to live with other dogs well

• would be nice if the dog was alert with strangers, but not aggressive, but if the dog is overly outgoing that's fine
      • i don't mind much if the breed tends to be noisy, or if they have a big personality, fur type isn't a huge issue either, i think i covered everything else though

i realize there are things i'll have to compromise on, but if i had to pick two i can't it's size and energy

mostly i've been having a hard time finding dogs who aren't by and large too intense for me to handle, i'm keeping mutts as an option but down the list for various personal reasons, but if it ends up being the best option then hey guess i'm getting a mutt
      collies are my top pick at the moment, but attending the club meetups this year are going to be my make or break i think

Honestly unless you're home all day a puppy/young herding breeds (like a collie) may be too much for your current situation. Do you have a lot of time/ability to exercise, because it will need it especially if you're in an apartment. Though an adult might be an option though. I recommend talking to some Collie rescues and fostering if you can to give you an idea of if it's possible. It's good you're looking into the club meetups.

Define good in winter? Dogs that do better in winter are going to be more difficult in the grooming department and if you have long/hot summers where you are might not be a good choice if you're wanting to do a lot of high energy sports. That doesn't mean it can't work but it's something to take into consideration. Also most dogs can do okay in winter if they're in the house most of the time and protected (coat, boots, etc.) when they're out.

Personally I would look into sight hounds (Greyhounds, Whippits, Gaglos, Saluki, etc.. They come in various sizes and seem to fit the bill with what you are looking for. Some scent hounds might be a good fit too.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodredsheep » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:09 pm

went hiking with zoey and she lead me to some deer. We quickly left didn't want to stay around and upset them. Crazy never had deer around at the past places I lived :lol:

And a pic of Zoey's new collar. I Love it!
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fluffycat6 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:12 pm

@bloodredsheep Zoey is so beautiful!!

I have a question, does it matter if a collar has a metal buckle or a plastic buckle? Is one better than the other?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image please click!
fluffycat6

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bloodredsheep » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 pm

fluffycat6 wrote:@bloodredsheep Zoey is so beautiful!!

I have a question, does it matter if a collar has a metal buckle or a plastic buckle? Is one better than the other?

Thank you!

I don't think it matters but for my regular collars I do like Metal buckles over the plastic ones. Metal buckles are more hardy compared to plastic. plus to me metal buckles look nicer. lol

Pics of Hercules in his new collar!!

Last edited by bloodredsheep on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:52 pm

fluffycat6 wrote:@bloodredsheep Zoey is so beautiful!!

Some people feel that metal buckles are stronger then plastic buckles but I'm not sure there's a consensus since quality would play a huge part in how strong a buckle is. Some people prefer metal because the metal can be engraved with a form of ID. Some also just prefer the look of one to the other.

Of course I am referring to snap buckles where you put one piece into the other and it snaps closed, not the type that you thread the buckle through and put the metal stick(?) part through the hole and thread the collar through the other side. I used to feel those were safer then snap buckles until I saw Chloe scratch her way out of her collar. Now I only use snap buckles. All ours are plastic, but I chose based on overall quality and looks, not so much on the buckles themselves. I never attach a leash to her collar so the strength of a particular buckle isn't as important to me as someone who does attach a leash.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me