Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby eff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:29 am

Almond Bark wrote:
IOwnAZoo wrote:Just got some samples in for Diego!

He has a few favorites, but I'm happy to say he likes pretty much everything included except for some cranberry treats (which makes sense, he doesn't like any fruit besides apples).

As for the discussion at hand (the "never again" breed one), I don't feel there are any breeds I wouldn't personally share my home with, actually. I prefer the rescue/rehoming route, so the perfect dog for me could be nearly any breed.

Hey, I realized that you're feeding your dog Amì, which is a vegan pet food brand? I'm pretty sure dog's are carnivores, hence their pointed teeth and descending from wolves..I don't mean to come off rude, but dogs can't thrive on a vegan diet even if they do survive. It's unhealthy for them and grains, which vegan foods are based off of can cause allergies for your dog. I'm concerned for the safety and health of your dog since its technically abuse...?

Popular food brands such as Ami wouldn't sell dog food for daily consumption if a dog couldn't survive on it (-- not as in treats, as in a daily meal). Dogs can thrive on a vegan diet whilst cats would die had they been fed a full vegan diet. This is because dogs are omnivores and cats are carnivores. It is not unhealthy for them and whilst grains can cause allergies, here also is a list of common allergies in dogs:
beef, dairy, wheat, egg, chicken, lamb, soy, pork, rabbit, and fish (as stated by pets.webmd.com and a dozen other sites)
All of these (parting from soy and wheat) are made either from animals you put in meat dog foods or products made by animals put into meat dog foods.
It's also insanely rude to tell someone that they are abusing their dog when the dog is clearly happy from the products the owner is using and in which sounds like a pleasant treat. Accusing someone of such would require evidence. Again, that was just flat out rude especially since you didn't even bother researching the topic before accusing someone of something as atrocious as animal abuse.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am

Vegans will say and do anything to justify having their dog or cat on a plant based diet, even someone with a fennec fox has it on a vegan diet! Horrible! I don’t even argue about it anymore. If you want an animal that eats vegetable, get a rabbit or guinea pig. It’s not a hard concept to understand!

But definitely not all vegans and vegetarians, I know a few that even feed their cats and dogs species appropriate diets(raw), because they love their animals and want to do what’s best for them.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:59 am

ru. wrote:@eleutheromania: Your pups are looking good!
I'm particularly fond of your Dachshund! (: That face is adorable! How old now?

Flossie wrote:@ru. Completely agree! I know I won’t own a collie or Labrador, but I definitely wouldn’t mind owning one of those show Golden’s, haha. Just absolutely love the appearance of them. I’ve seen one before, and you can automatically tell the good lines with the way they carry themselves in such a regal form.

I'm not overly fond of Labs either. I like other people's Labradors sometimes if they're not too out of control haha, but most of the (non-service/therapy/working) Labs that I've met have been too high strung compared to a Golden.
A lot of show Goldens are something else! (: It's definitely the result of good breeding. Healthier, happy, pretty pups haha!

(Accidentally went on a tangent below! Sorry! Hahah)
_____

Another thing that has been really bothering me recently when it comes to Golden Retrievers is this ridiculous backyard breeding trend to want to breed lighter and lighter coats and claim them to be "rare" "English Creams" (could my eyes roll any harder into the back of my head???). It's to the point now that most of the suburban Golden Retriever owners in my state are walking around with white Goldens! I rarely see Golden in the cities and larger towns that are actually any shade of gold. Most are white or very, very light in color.
Now coat color obviously isn't the most important thing, but when most of these pups come from BYBs tricking people into paying top dollar for their dime a dozen coat color (that isn't even within the standard), claiming it to be "special", while they don't even health test their dogs or take temperament into regard - that is frustrating.

For instance -"English Cream"(white) vs.within the Standard shadesvs. Hunting & Field Line

I'm not claiming that a deep coat color is somehow superior, haha. I guess that (aside from the obvious BYB scam aspect of course) I'm mostly a little bit worried that the true "goldens" will be lost down the road and that breeding specifically for coat color alone is going to further damage the health and temperament of the breed going forward.

Anyway. There ends my rant for the day, haha!

Agreed. The white are pretty but just look like a Golden/Great Pyrenees mix to me.

I had a teacher in HS who sadly bred white Labs. *sigh*.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:05 am

halogen. wrote:Vegans will say and do anything to justify having their dog or cat on a plant based diet, even someone with a fennec fox has it on a vegan diet! Horrible! I don’t even argue about it anymore. If you want an animal that eats vegetable, get a rabbit or guinea pig. It’s not a hard concept to understand!

But definitely not all vegans and vegetarians, I know a few that even feed their cats and dogs species appropriate diets(raw), because they love their animals and want to do what’s best for them.

I think it is a hard concept for people to understand. I do not think you understand that dogs are not carnivores and whilst can thrive on a meat based diet, they can thrive on a vegan diet too. And what do you mean they do it because they loce their animals and want to do what is best for them? Are you insinuating that people that feed there dogs vegan diets do not wish for good health on their animals? My dogs are on a meat based diet but I hope I can get them on a vegan base since there is no animal cruelty involvement and my dogs can thrive. I love animals in general and don't believe they should be needlessly killed :)

Also fennec foxes are omnivorous so..?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skunksmell » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:09 am

appology wrote:
halogen. wrote:Vegans will say and do anything to justify having their dog or cat on a plant based diet, even someone with a fennec fox has it on a vegan diet! Horrible! I don’t even argue about it anymore. If you want an animal that eats vegetable, get a rabbit or guinea pig. It’s not a hard concept to understand!

I think it is a hard concept for people to understand. I do not think you understand that dogs are not carnivores and whilst can thrive on a meat based diet, they can thrive on a vegan diet too. And what do you mean they do it because they loce their animals and want to do what is best for them? Are you insinuating that people that feed there dogs vegan diets do not wish for good health on their animals? My dogs are on a meat based diet but I hope I can get them on a vegan base since there is no animal cruelty involvement and my dogs can thrive. I love animals in general and don't believe they should be needlessly killed :)

@appology,
I think giving your dogs a Vegan diet could also be a little bit bad for them. Dogs needs protein that they can only get from meat and supplements. Supplements are not a very good option however. You may want to consider giving your dogs a Vegetarian diet. They can still get protein from eggs, fish, milk etc. You don’t even have to give it to them often, if you don’t like it. But to keep your dogs healthy, please consider giving them eggs or fish once in a while.
skunksmell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:14 am

My dogs have eggs and fish on top of there meat based diet but there is plenty of vegan protein sources. Not many people look into them and think they are scarce but there is honeslty loads you can try out.
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 am

appology wrote:

I think it is a hard concept for people like you to understand. I do not think you understand that dogs are not carnivores and whilst can thrive on a meat based diet, they can thrive on a vegan diet too. And what do you mean they do it because they loce their animals and want to do what is best for them? Are you insinuating that people that feed there dogs vegan diets do not wish for good health on their animals? My dogs are on a meat based diet but I hope I can get them on a vegan base since there is no animal cruelty involvement and my dogs can thrive. I love animals in general and don't believe they should be needlessly killed :)

Also fennec foxes are omnivorous so..?

I’m not going to argue with you. Instead I’m going to do what’s best for my animals’ health and not force my personal choices upon an animal who has absolutely no choice in the matter.

And there are dog food companies that get their meat for the food from non cruelty facilities. Like I said, some vegans and vegetarians will say and do anything to justify their wrongfulness concerning cats and dogs on vegan diets.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 am

guys this discussion has been brought up so many times and just cause arguments. this thread is to talk about dogs and we definitely do not need these arguments every couple pages or so.

on that note, we just moved into a new house, and skylar and willow love the big space! they also are very fond upon the stairs! levi on the other hand is unfazed by them, as he has lived in a house with stairs before. its so funny to watch the girls run up and down the stairs!
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Seasonal » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:00 pm

This argument has been repeated over and over, and it seems that a conclusion cannot be drawn without throwing insults at users who do not share your own opinion. Please do not discuss this issue any further.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗
about - characters - trades
need to contact CS staff?
submit a help ticket here!
╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝
Seasonal
Admin Assistant

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Sorry! I must have posted at the same time as the mod! Thank you Seasonal!

You guys. Let's all grow up a little bit please and knock off these shenanigans.
There is no reason to go out of your way to lecture anyone else on their personal choices. Particularly when they did nothing to instigate such action.

I'm going to drop this here again because apparently we can't stay away from dead horses:

ru. wrote:
Let's please not beat this dead horse again 😂
What one chooses to feed their dog is their business as long as they are getting adequate protein & balanced nutrition and the dog is healthy.
Since dogs are technically more omnivorous (then, say, cats) and they can live off of plant proteins then ultimately it is the owner's choice. Albeit a very controversial one.
Whether someone chooses to feed raw, kibble, home-made,
or prepared vegan is entirely their decision. Prepared vegan dog foods at least have protein, added nutrients and attempt to be balanced. It isn't like they are feeding their dog a diet of carrots and white rice. It should be okay. (:
So we shouldn't force our views on each other and we should do our best to be open minded and respect one-another's choices as long as the dog in question isn't suffering because of them (in this case they are not. The diet might not be optimal, but the dog can live likely just as well as it would any most low-budget kibble.)

Lmarani wrote:guys this discussion has been brought up so many times and just cause arguments. this thread is to talk about dogs and we definitely do not need these arguments every couple pages or so.

on that note, we just moved into a new house, and skylar and willow love the big space! they also are very fond upon the stairs! levi on the other hand is unfazed by them, as he has lived in a house with stairs before. its so funny to watch the girls run up and down the stairs!

THANK YOU.
I am getting so sick of this weird compulsion some people seem to have to try to dictate how other people raise their dogs.
Owners can make their own choices about what is healthiest and best for their dogs and as long as nobody is getting hurt then frankly everyone else needs to keep their noses out of it.

ANYWAY.
Haha, that's cute that they're taking so well to the stairs! Edgar was always so cautious of stairs

eleutheromania wrote:@ru; he’s three as of feb 28th. So he’s official grown but we’re probably not going to snip him until 4 if we need to. He is in perfect health.

Dachshunds have English creams and it’s hhard for me and some breeders to tell the different between a cream and ee red. I see a lot of mislabeling ee red as cream and then they jack up the price T.T

I never knew that about Dachshunds! Is it one of those things that backyard breeders are all about too?

Imzadi83 wrote:
Agreed. The white are pretty but just look like a Golden/Great Pyrenees mix to me.

I had a teacher in HS who sadly bred white Labs. *sigh*.

I agree completely. I hope the standard doesn't get changed to accept the color. If anything maybe eventually, with careful breeding for different traits, it could become it's own breed in the distant future. But I'm doubtful seeing as most are only breeding for color and not health or temperament.

Geez 😬 I bet those are probably as popular with BYBs as "Fox Red Labs", lol
| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me