Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby awakening souls. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:13 am

mark
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eleutheromania » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 am

on the whole obese thing. it makes me sad that people think a chunky dachshund is cute and “loved” no you’re slowly killing your dog and giving them a chance of major joint pain and maybe a higher risk of ivdd in minis. i’ve seen so many chunky ones succumb to ivdd on the facebook group i follow.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:32 am

RWBY Rose- If you do decide to adopt, I would suggest trying to find a rescue who will let you foster to adopt? Or look into a adult dog that’s been in a foster home for awhile so that they are settled and you see their true temperament? Personally I’d go with a breeder though, if you give us some info on your lifestyle we could suggest breeds?

Ru- I really don’t want him to get older 😭 stupid Chewie needs to stay a baby forever. Luckily he’s been surprisingly healthy for a BYB mess of a dog. I need to take him to the chiropractor soon. Hopefully he will stick around for a lot longer, I can’t imagine life without his dumb face.

It was horrible, he was a lab pup. When I started there he was chubby, by the time I left he was obese. It was so sad to see. Labs were the worse I saw, BBMs, English Bulldogs and Aussies were all horrible too though.

Aw poor guy! Glad you got him back down to being healthy! I’m so scared mine are gonna get fat in the next couple months while my parents are feeding them! They already let Princess get fat, but maybe I can convince them to trim her down a bit too lol

Yeah Chew is a challenge, ever since he was in QT last year, he’s been a turd about staying Where I want. Doesn’t get fat anymore, but gets a bit too skinny for my liking. It’s driving me nuts lol. Hopefully once he gets back on raw in a few months he will gain it back.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby plecostomus enjoyer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:34 am

I used to have a friend with an extremely obese dachshund... her nickname was even "pudgy" and she wheezed and sounded like she was having trouble breathing if she tried to even walk a couple steps. only her paws stuck out a little from her body, that's how overweight she was. the family tried to make it seem like her weight was cute and just a result of being "loved"...
she passed away a few months ago and I can't help but think her being overweight had something to do with it,as she wasn't really that old.
hi im luce! im a disabled adult player. my pronouns are it/it/itself and hy/hym/hyr.
i love fish and i have two dogs, a border collie mix named rosie and a hound named chance!
all my pets, items and c$ can be traded in exchange for lorwolf and flight rising currency
plecostomus enjoyer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am

eleutheromania wrote:on the whole obese thing. it makes me sad that people think a chunky dachshund is cute and “loved” no you’re slowly killing your dog and giving them a chance of major joint pain and maybe a higher risk of ivdd in minis. i’ve seen so many chunky ones succumb to ivdd on the facebook group i follow.

I agree with you there. But I do understand that some dogs have disorders and conditions that make it hard for them to stay at a healthy weight, and even harder for the owners. In addition to that, some dogs in the shelters are adopted that way, and it takes a lot to lower their weight safely.

For me, it really depends on the situation. The ones who encourage the feeding of human food (as well as unhealthy dog-aimed food) to dogs is pretty sickening, but perhaps they just need to be taught that it isn't right. I'm definitely not bashing anyone who occasionally feeds their dog human food as a treat. Understandable, not really a cause for concern. Frequently, though, it's a problem.

And those who are too lazy to take their dog for walks, or just don't have the time, I find them very irresponsible. You chose to bring a dog into your life, so please give it the nurturing it needs and don't let it suffer.

As for those who know their dog is obese and know the health risks, but refuse to believe anything bad could ever happen to their precious pooch...I can't say much other than I'm disappointed.
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:44 am

My poor baby, she went from 14lbs to 8lbs in just a week and she's got a growth on her side(bit smaller than a walnut). Time for another vet visit...

Even after 8 years, she never fails to make me smile when I'm having a bad day <3

☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:10 am

i just took skylar on her first walk, she was great! i didnt have to correct her much. she didnt really pay any attention to any people walking, the only thing that caught her attention was any cars that came by.
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby awakening souls. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:23 am

Lmarani wrote:i just took skylar on her first walk, she was great! i didnt have to correct her much. she didnt really pay any attention to any people walking, the only thing that caught her attention was any cars that came by.

Congrats! I don't think I quite remember what breed(s) she is. My deepest apologies!
awakening souls.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 am

awakening souls. wrote:
Lmarani wrote:i just took skylar on her first walk, she was great! i didnt have to correct her much. she didnt really pay any attention to any people walking, the only thing that caught her attention was any cars that came by.

Congrats! I don't think I quite remember what breed(s) she is. My deepest apologies!

thanks! she is a weimaraner!
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:58 am

Guys

Lady is like.... Queen of the house :lol:

God, it's hard to believe she's actually 11.
Our little doorstop is 11!!!
Oh my gosh.

I love her so much.

Reason behind the Doorstop nickname is because she's shaped kiiiind of like a barrel and can't really bend side to side too far.
She rolls herself onto her back and it's amusing watching her scratch her back like that.

Took her to the vet for that cough a couple weeks ago and she got her shots, she's old enough to not need her rabies redone.
And it wasn't kennel cough, which is good.
She literally just had a cold that wasn't clearing up as fast as Tylers and her collar was slightly too tight, which has since been fixed, and her breathing is back to normal.

Also, she needs her nails clipped, which is probably going to be done tonight or tomorrow night. ♥

Last thing for this post!
I got a new shampoo from Target. Wahl makes a concentrated Oatmeal shampoo. I bought a big bottle of it and I plan on using it on the dogs who have itching issues. (Lady, Tyler, and Lilly)

First ingredient other than water?
Oatmeal.
Second ingredient?
Coconut oil.
Then the light fragrances, which are essential oils.

A couple of days after they get bathed with that?
Smacking some coconut oil on their backs and butts.

And down Lilly's back legs.
Poor dog has the driest skin of all the dogs and she's so itchy it's making her pull her fur out from chewing on herself.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me