Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat V. 5

Postby eff » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:59 am

Sorry to hear about your condition, hope it's better now.

I haven't done anything to my dogs. I, too, live in the UK and we decided on getting another male (2 males) due to my firsts epilepsy. We didn't know if it would be something that could be inherited so we settled for a little local boy.

I also wanted to know from anyone here: if you support ear-cropping, do you also support tail-docking?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .muse. » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 am

appology wrote:-snip-

Edit--
But isn't neuter/spaying done to prevent overpopulation in animals such as cats? Or maybe it is done in a household full of bitches and dogs that are working (or not) and the person does not want, cannot afford or cannot look after a bunch of puppies? I feel as though ear cropping is more of a cosmetics-reason (I hear that you got your cartillage removed-- whether for cosmetic or health factors I am unsure of) rather than a 'health' (if you put it like that) reason.

Spay/neuter may be to prevent unwanted litters, but it is still an invasive and mostly unnecessary surgery. It isn't impossible to keep an intact dog from reproducing. It's not even something I would consider difficult given that my intact male is almost 4 now and has yet to sire any litters intentionally or accidentally.
In a multiple dog home it's still not impossible or overly difficult thing to prevent. I know plenty of dog owners who have both genders intact who crate/rotate and just pay attention to their dogs.

Spay/neuter isn't majorly for "health" concerns, it's a quick end all preventative pushed by shelters and some vets because it's easier to trust just anyone with a dog knowing it won't contribute to overpopulation.

Meanwhile cropping can be for more than just cosmetic reasons, granted it is mostly done cosmetically. For working dogs in breeds where crop/dock are common it's to prevent injuries while working. Which is why working crops are typically less visually appealing than show crops. Personally I like the looks of both depending on the dogs head shape.

It can also be entirely for health reasons.
Though my dobermans ears are cropped and flopped, he still has far fewer ear infections than he did as a puppy with his natural ears. Prior to his ears being cropped it was ear infection after ear infection even with me cleaning his ears dang near every day and using medicated ear drops every however many days the vet said. Post ear crop he has gotten 2, maybe 3, ear infections total.
Image ~*~ Muse ~ They/Them ~ Adult ~ Nerd ~*~ Image
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
.muse.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 am

appology wrote:Sorry to hear about your condition, hope it's better now.

I haven't done anything to my dogs. I, too, live in the UK and we decided on getting another male (2 males) due to my firsts epilepsy. We didn't know if it would be something that could be inherited so we settled for a little local boy.

I also wanted to know from anyone here: if you support ear-cropping, do you also support tail-docking?

Yup, I support both. Plus there are breed standard(think US doberman) that call for both dock and crop.

And I agree with y’all about the spay and neuter thing, if you want to be lazy and irresponsible about your dog, YES get it spayed or neutered but if you know how to be a responsible dog owner, keep it intact if you wish! We have one neutered, two intact girls, and one intact male, none of my dogs have ever had a litter so there’s that. We do crate and rotate, very strict schedule. Also about 7 regular intact male strays that hang around my property.

Also yup, I generally dislike people who spay their dogs(and especially young ones) for convenience, it’s just plain old lazy.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:26 am

appology wrote:Sorry to hear about your condition, hope it's better now.

I've never really been sure of ear-cropping, as i've only ever heard negative comments and haven't done any research, but I couldn't care less if someone has their dog's tail docked as long as it's done properly.

I'd love to hear opinion's on this new 'dog cloning' stuff going on.
Good or bad? Unnecessary? Anything you have to offer would be interesting c:
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 am

I don't support neuter/spaying or anything (which I feel some of you think I do). I just think, say you own a homestead with working dogs, whilst it would be okay to separate bitches from dogs, it would be a tedious task on top of what you already do.

Also, if you support both docking and cropping, why? What beneficial factor does it have on the dogs health?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tea! » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am

appology wrote:I don't support neuter/spaying or anything (which I feel some of you think I do). I just think, say you own a homestead with working dogs, whilst it would be okay to separate bitches from dogs, it would be a tedious task on top of what you already do.

Also, if you support both docking and cropping, why? What beneficial factor does it have on the dogs health?

A lot of times docking and cropping actually helps dogs.
    some breeds, such as boxers, that have cropped tails need it because they can
    easily break their tails with a simple wag into a table.

dogs who have cropped ears are also 80% less prone to ear infections.

If I do get a doberman (in the far future), it will have cropped ears and a docked tail.

Also, why dont you support spaying/neutering ?? It stops accidental litters which usually
    causes there to be more dogs in shelters?

art above by fiskko @ da

tea!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liv :) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:14 am

kodiak ♡ wrote:I'd love to hear opinion's on this new 'dog cloning' stuff going on.
Good or bad? Unnecessary? Anything you have to offer would be interesting c:

In my opinion, pet cloning is pretty darn cruel. I watched this video on it a while back and found it both informative and enlightening.

Anyway, does anyone have any breed guesses for Blue? I’d love to hear some outside, unbiased opinions. She’s very energetic (which could very possibly be because she’s a puppy), extremely affectionate, shows no prey drive, friendly towards strangers and other dogs, good at retrieving, a very fast learner, very athletic, and very playful.

Here are some photos:

vet assistant
bio-med major
pisces sun, aquarius moon, cancer rising
intj-t
liv :)

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 am

When I first saw a picture of her I thought German shepherd x lab with some husky

edit// but looking at some of her markings and her personality there could be either acd or aussie??
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eff » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am

tea! wrote:
appology wrote:I don't support neuter/spaying or anything (which I feel some of you think I do). I just think, say you own a homestead with working dogs, whilst it would be okay to separate bitches from dogs, it would be a tedious task on top of what you already do.

A lot of times docking and cropping actually helps dogs.
    some breeds, such as boxers, that have cropped tails need it because they can
    easily break their tails with a simple wag into a table.

dogs who have cropped ears are also 80% less prone to ear infections.

If I do get a doberman (in the far future), it will have cropped ears and a docked tail.

Also, why dont you support spaying/neutering ?? It stops accidental litters which usually
    causes there to be more dogs in shelters?

I agree: it does stop accidental litters and prevents further dogs and cats going into shelters. I think it should always be done on strays (such as the capture, neuter/spay and release program in Chernobyl) and it is totally optional due to its other health factors (such as preventing cancer) to get a pet done. But then again:
- early neutering doubles the chance of hip dysplasia
- early neutering increases the joint disorders in dogs x4
- triples the risk of several joint problems in GSDs
- decreases longevity of rotts
- increases chance of cancer
I just feel the cons outweigh the pros especially when done early.

Also, could you provide evidence of it reducing the rate or likelihood of a dog getting an infection?
eff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 am

What do you mean nuetering early??
My father owns a chocolate lab who is about 5 years old and hasn't been neutered but he's very territorial so he was going to get him fixed soon?
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me