STOP DECLAWING

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Lwaxana » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:01 pm

People who claim declawing isn't "that bad" are just kidding themselves or want to avoid their conscience.

Cats come with claws. Don't like that, get a dog. It's that simple.
We are the Pawbarian family. Usually, the account is maintained by Lwaxy, very rarely, another family member will be online when a trade comes in, which is usually why there is a slow response.
User avatar
Lwaxana
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:16 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby kerplunk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:03 pm

NightFlame22 wrote:
GenocideStarlight wrote:I do see your point, and arthritis is never a good thing.
although, there could be a few instances where declawing a cat might have to be done. for example: a couple has had a cat for many years now. then they have a baby. but, the cat doesn't like the baby and tries to attack it (I've seen it happen before). the cat has its claws and scratches the baby very hard during the attack, hurting it.
what would you do then if that was your baby? of course, you would certainly watch the baby better, but what about the cat? what if it attacked your baby again?

You could always get the cute little rubber claw covers for your cat! They come in lots of fun colors, require no surgery, and keep cats from scratching things. Plus they'd be way cheaper too XP Very much a win-win situation here.

Image


I've never heard of that before, that's interesting! And thank you for replying in a non-rude way, I appreciate it c:

Queenie! wrote:The only time, and I mean the only time I would ever condone declawing is if the cat's digits were infected beyond saving. I've seen it done once or twice to cats who got themselves caught on fishing line or on mesh fences and mangled their claws beyond repair. But that's the only time I can see it being okay.


That's terrible! But yes, that would be a good reason to do it.


Everyone, before you post, remember: This is my OPINION. If you don't agree, that's fine. I personally don't really like it too much myself, but as I said before there are a few instances where it might have to be done.
I am not trying to hate on anyone else or what they think, so please don't hate on me either.
☆ Pet Of The Week ☆
Image
♪ Despite all my rage, I am
still just a rat in a cage... ♪


----------☆----------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
----------☆----------

Luna//13-16//Female//American//
Panromantic/Demisexual//Musician/Singer

Hey! I'm kerplunk, but you can call
me Luna! I'm certified band trash™ and a
coffee addict! My favorite band is Green Day
(as you might be able to tell from my username)
and I love punk rock and emo music. I even have
a band of my own! If you want to be my friend,
hit me up with some pms!

listography
User avatar
kerplunk
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby NightFlame22 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Lwaxana wrote:People who claim declawing isn't "that bad" are just kidding themselves or want to avoid their conscience.

Cats come with claws. Don't like that, get a dog. It's that simple.

I think a lot of people don't realize how bad it is sometimes. Like, for the longest time I didn't know they were actually removing the tips of the cats' toes. Not saying it's okay, but like, maybe they just don't know ^.^;
┌────────┐

































└────────┘
Image
Image
Image
Image
╔═════════════════════════╗


x
Hiya! The name's NightFlame, but most call me Night or Flame.
I'm just an exciteable person who loves art and dragons!
Feel free to PM me if you need anything at all <3



╚═════════════════════════╝
Image











Image
User avatar
NightFlame22
 
Posts: 22920
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby kerplunk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:04 pm

NightFlame22 wrote:
Lwaxana wrote:People who claim declawing isn't "that bad" are just kidding themselves or want to avoid their conscience.

Cats come with claws. Don't like that, get a dog. It's that simple.

I think a lot of people don't realize how bad it is sometimes. Like, for the longest time I didn't know they were actually removing the tips of the cats' toes. Not saying it's okay, but like, maybe they just don't know ^.^;


Yeah, I didn't know that either...
☆ Pet Of The Week ☆
Image
♪ Despite all my rage, I am
still just a rat in a cage... ♪


----------☆----------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
----------☆----------

Luna//13-16//Female//American//
Panromantic/Demisexual//Musician/Singer

Hey! I'm kerplunk, but you can call
me Luna! I'm certified band trash™ and a
coffee addict! My favorite band is Green Day
(as you might be able to tell from my username)
and I love punk rock and emo music. I even have
a band of my own! If you want to be my friend,
hit me up with some pms!

listography
User avatar
kerplunk
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Ice and Fire » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:05 pm

I think cats should just left to be cats end off Declawing is just getting rid of what cats do cats shouldn't be declawed they hunt its what they do if they dont have claws they can not hunt. Ive had my baby for 4 years now ive never once thought about declawing her
Image
User avatar
Ice and Fire
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby kerplunk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Ice and Fire wrote:I think cats should just left to be cats end off Declawing is just getting rid of what cats do cats shouldn't be declawed they hunt its what they do if they dont have claws they can not hunt. Ive had my baby for 4 years now ive never once thought about declawing her


heck, my parents were the ones who thought about declawing our first cat. ^^'
☆ Pet Of The Week ☆
Image
♪ Despite all my rage, I am
still just a rat in a cage... ♪


----------☆----------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
----------☆----------

Luna//13-16//Female//American//
Panromantic/Demisexual//Musician/Singer

Hey! I'm kerplunk, but you can call
me Luna! I'm certified band trash™ and a
coffee addict! My favorite band is Green Day
(as you might be able to tell from my username)
and I love punk rock and emo music. I even have
a band of my own! If you want to be my friend,
hit me up with some pms!

listography
User avatar
kerplunk
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby NightFlame22 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 pm

GenocideStarlight wrote:
Ice and Fire wrote:I think cats should just left to be cats end off Declawing is just getting rid of what cats do cats shouldn't be declawed they hunt its what they do if they dont have claws they can not hunt. Ive had my baby for 4 years now ive never once thought about declawing her


heck, my parents were the ones who thought about declawing our first cat. ^^'

It's kind of a common thing now, at least where I'm from, so I think people just assume that's what you should do if your cat scratches everything... It's unfortunate, but I really just think people aren't super informed about it.
┌────────┐

































└────────┘
Image
Image
Image
Image
╔═════════════════════════╗


x
Hiya! The name's NightFlame, but most call me Night or Flame.
I'm just an exciteable person who loves art and dragons!
Feel free to PM me if you need anything at all <3



╚═════════════════════════╝
Image











Image
User avatar
NightFlame22
 
Posts: 22920
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Ice and Fire » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 pm

GenocideStarlight wrote:
Ice and Fire wrote:I think cats should just left to be cats end off Declawing is just getting rid of what cats do cats shouldn't be declawed they hunt its what they do if they dont have claws they can not hunt. Ive had my baby for 4 years now ive never once thought about declawing her


heck, my parents were the ones who thought about declawing our first cat. ^^'



Yeh i doubt its your fault just a lot of people don't understand how important claws are to cats i hope nobodys saying mean stuff to you too its not your fault at the end of the day
Image
User avatar
Ice and Fire
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby Queenie! » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:14 pm

A big part of the issue lies in the fact that a lot of vets simply don't explain the procedure as well as they should. Most of the people declawing their cats are, as stated earlier, parents of newborns who don't want their cat to hurt their child, or in some cases people who don't want their cat to claw their expensive furniture. They don't do much research on it because they don't know any better, and the vets don't explain either because they don't want to scare away a customer, or because they just assume the owners know what's going on. A considerable portion of what a vet office makes in a year comes from people bringing in cats to be declawed, or dogs to be cropped and docked.
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

Image
Image
◆ ─────────────────
text text text text text text
text text text text text text
text text text text text text
text text text text text text
text text text text text text
text text text text text text
text text text text text text
text text text text text text

───────────────── ◆
Image
Image
Image
Image
B
U
T
T
E
R
F
L
I
E
S
?
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

User avatar
Queenie!
 
Posts: 12023
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:11 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby kerplunk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

NightFlame22 wrote:
GenocideStarlight wrote:
Ice and Fire wrote:I think cats should just left to be cats end off Declawing is just getting rid of what cats do cats shouldn't be declawed they hunt its what they do if they dont have claws they can not hunt. Ive had my baby for 4 years now ive never once thought about declawing her


heck, my parents were the ones who thought about declawing our first cat. ^^'

It's kind of a common thing now, at least where I'm from, so I think people just assume that's what you should do if your cat scratches everything... It's unfortunate, but I really just think people aren't super informed about it.


yeah...
my parents mainly wanted to do it because
a) she kept scratching up all the furnature
and b) she kept scratching me and leaving cuts on my legs and arms and I always whined and cried about it (because I was like 4 or 5 when we got her)


Ice and Fire wrote:
GenocideStarlight wrote:
Ice and Fire wrote:I think cats should just left to be cats end off Declawing is just getting rid of what cats do cats shouldn't be declawed they hunt its what they do if they dont have claws they can not hunt. Ive had my baby for 4 years now ive never once thought about declawing her


heck, my parents were the ones who thought about declawing our first cat. ^^'



Yeh i doubt its your fault just a lot of people don't understand how important claws are to cats i hope nobodys saying mean stuff to you too its not your fault at the end of the day


yea, you're right
(and people WERE saying mean stuff to me a bit earlier, but that's okay, I don't really care too much c':)

Queenie! wrote:A big part of the issue lies in the fact that a lot of vets simply don't explain the procedure as well as they should. Most of the people declawing their cats are, as stated earlier, parents of newborns who don't want their cat to hurt their child, or in some cases people who don't want their cat to claw their expensive furniture. They don't do much research on it because they don't know any better, and the vets don't explain either because they don't want to scare away a customer, or because they just assume the owners know what's going on. A considerable portion of what a vet office makes in a year comes from people bringing in cats to be declawed, or dogs to be cropped and docked.


exactly! both times the vets never said anything about the procedure, really..
☆ Pet Of The Week ☆
Image
♪ Despite all my rage, I am
still just a rat in a cage... ♪


----------☆----------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
----------☆----------

Luna//13-16//Female//American//
Panromantic/Demisexual//Musician/Singer

Hey! I'm kerplunk, but you can call
me Luna! I'm certified band trash™ and a
coffee addict! My favorite band is Green Day
(as you might be able to tell from my username)
and I love punk rock and emo music. I even have
a band of my own! If you want to be my friend,
hit me up with some pms!

listography
User avatar
kerplunk
 
Posts: 2892
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Return to Animal Chatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests