STOP DECLAWING

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

STOP DECLAWING

Postby jayfeather100 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:22 am

hi!
plz go sign this petition it will take like 30 seconds
it will take us 1 step closer to stopping declawing
declawing is like cutting off your finger at the last knuckle
it is inhumane to cats and no cat or kitten should have to go through the pain
it can also make the cats paw/foot infected and it might have to be cut off
so plz sign the petition
https://www.change.org/p/matt-bershadke ... egislation
jayfeather100
jayfeather100

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: STOP DECLAWING

Postby kerplunk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 am

my personal opinion: I don't think declawing is THAT bad. Cats are actually put asleep during the procedure (at least, most of the time) so they don't feel the pain. Both of my cats are declawed...
Yes, there is a small chance their paw can become infected, but vets do what they can to ensure that doesn't happen (when my kitten was declawed, he got special litter so it didn't get in his paws and he got some pillows to put in his cage while he was healing). I know that most people don't like it, so you can sign the petition if you want, I can't control that. But take into consideration that without declawing, cats can scratch you, and sometimes they lose claws anyway.

(You don't have to listen to me. I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.)
☆ Pet Of The Month ☆

----------☆----------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
----------☆----------

Luna//13-16//Female//American//
Panromantic/Demisexual//Musician/Singer

Hey! I'm kerplunk, but you can call
me Luna! I'm certified band trash™ and a
coffee addict! My favorite band is Green Day
(as you might be able to tell from my username)
and I love punk rock and emo music. I even have
a band of my own! If you want to be my friend,
hit me up with some pms!

listography
kerplunk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PerpetualMints » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:36 pm

If you aren't willing to put up with cats using their claws and behaving as cats naturally do, then don't get a cat. It's a pretty simple concept and one I think society as a whole should embrace. There is no justifiable reason to declaw a cat. It's like removing a dog's teeth because they happen to mouth your hands and chew up your possessions.
PerpetualMints

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kerplunk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:25 pm

PerpetualMints wrote:If you aren't willing to put up with cats using their claws and behaving as cats naturally do, then don't get a cat. It's a pretty simple concept and one I think society as a whole should embrace. There is no justifiable reason to declaw a cat. It's like removing a dog's teeth because they happen to mouth your hands and chew up your possessions.

you do have a point. but like I said before, they lose claws anyway. would you rather them lose a claw like once a month and have them feel the pain every month, or declaw them when they are young and they only have to feel the pain for a few days only once?

also, both of my cats were rescues. we didn't have to keep them, but we did anyway and I love them. when the procedure was done, I made sure they were only declawed in the front paws so in case they ran away/got loose they would still have their back claws in order to defend themselves.
☆ Pet Of The Month ☆

----------☆----------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
----------☆----------

hit me up with some pms!

listography
kerplunk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PerpetualMints » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Healthy cats don't lose their claws at all, let alone every month, so I'm not quite sure what you're going on about? Cats shed old claw sheaths when they scratch, but this isn't the actual claw and it doesn't hurt at all whereas declawing is major surgery; as the OP stated, it's the equivalent of cutting off each of your fingers at the first knuckle. Bone is removed, not just the claw.

- Removed -
Last edited by Ethulai on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please state your argument in a civil and respectful manner.
PerpetualMints

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queenie! » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:38 pm

Declawing is unnecessary and extremely painful for the cat. Imagine someone going and cutting off all of the last bones in your toes, and then making you walk on them. Cats walk primarily on the tips of their toes. To get a better idea of this, put your fingers down on a flat surface with only the fingertips touching. That's how cats walk. Removing that last knuckle from their toes can impede their mobility and is oftentimes very painful for them to walk on. They're more prone to developing arthritis as a result, on top of it all. There are absolutely no health benefits to removing a cat's claws, the only benefit is for their owner.
ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImage
Queenie!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kerplunk » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm

Queenie! wrote:Declawing is unnecessary and extremely painful for the cat. Imagine someone going and cutting off all of the last bones in your toes, and then making you walk on them. Cats walk primarily on the tips of their toes. To get a better idea of this, put your fingers down on a flat surface with only the fingertips touching. That's how cats walk. Removing that last knuckle from their toes can impede their mobility and is oftentimes very painful for them to walk on. They're more prone to developing arthritis as a result, on top of it all. There are absolutely no health benefits to removing a cat's claws, the only benefit is for their owner.

I do see your point, and arthritis is never a good thing.
although, there could be a few instances where declawing a cat might have to be done. for example: a couple has had a cat for many years now. then they have a baby. but, the cat doesn't like the baby and tries to attack it (I've seen it happen before). the cat has its claws and scratches the baby very hard during the attack, hurting it.
what would you do then if that was your baby? of course, you would certainly watch the baby better, but what about the cat? what if it attacked your baby again?
☆ Pet Of The Month ☆

----------☆----------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
----------☆----------

hit me up with some pms!

listography
kerplunk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Selkiegal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:55 pm

GenocideStarlight wrote:
Queenie! wrote:Declawing is unnecessary and extremely painful for the cat. Imagine someone going and cutting off all of the last bones in your toes, and then making you walk on them. Cats walk primarily on the tips of their toes. To get a better idea of this, put your fingers down on a flat surface with only the fingertips touching. That's how cats walk. Removing that last knuckle from their toes can impede their mobility and is oftentimes very painful for them to walk on. They're more prone to developing arthritis as a result, on top of it all. There are absolutely no health benefits to removing a cat's claws, the only benefit is for their owner.

I do see your point, and arthritis is never a good thing.
although, there could be a few instances where declawing a cat might have to be done. for example: a couple has had a cat for many years now. then they have a baby. but, the cat doesn't like the baby and tries to attack it (I've seen it happen before). the cat has its claws and scratches the baby very hard during the attack, hurting it.
what would you do then if that was your baby? of course, you would certainly watch the baby better, but what about the cat? what if it attacked your baby again?

A cat isn't going to seek out an immobile infant and scratch it just because. That's ridiculous.

You can trim a cat's nails if scratching furniture (or in my cat's case, excessive kneading) is an issue; it is harmless to them if you do it correctly (ie: don't cut the quick) but I find most people who opt for declawing can't be bothered to put in even that minimal effort every few weeks.
Last edited by Selkiegal on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Always looking for new PSS pals~

About Me & Character Thread
~ Art Tumblr ~
Art Shop (closed)
Selkiegal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NightFlame22 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 pm

GenocideStarlight wrote:I do see your point, and arthritis is never a good thing.

You could always get the cute little rubber claw covers for your cat! They come in lots of fun colors, require no surgery, and keep cats from scratching things. Plus they'd be way cheaper too XP Very much a win-win situation here.

┌────────┐

└────────┘
╔═════════════════════════╗

x
Hiya! The name's NightFlame, but most call me Night or Flame.
I'm just an exciteable person who loves art and dragons!
Feel free to PM me if you need anything at all <3

╚═════════════════════════╝

NightFlame22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Queenie! » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:57 pm

If you have a baby and a cat that don't get along, then the best thing to do would be to find the cat a better home. It's not fair to the cat to have its paws crippled simply because it was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or you could keep the cat in a separate area. I know of a few married couples who built separate rooms for their cats so that they wouldn't cause trouble with their kids. There are several alternatives to declawing, so I simply cannot and do not support it in basically any instance.
The only time, and I mean the only time I would ever condone declawing is if the cat's digits were infected beyond saving. I've seen it done once or twice to cats who got themselves caught on fishing line or on mesh fences and mangled their claws beyond repair. But that's the only time I can see it being okay.
ImageImage ImageImage
ImageImage
Queenie!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Return to Animal Chatter