Help! Angelfish killing platys! D:

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Help! Angelfish killing platys! D:

Postby captain.millie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:29 am

I bought it yesterday at the same retailer as I got my platys. I've had 4 platys and 2 swordtails for about one month now. When I came home the day after I got it, two of my platys, who had been doing fine were dead. I can only assume it was the angelfish since I've heard they are aggressive in nature. I don't want any more fish to die, so I am wondering what to do? I have no other fish tanks, only bowls. Can I put it in a bowl? If so, must it be heated? And how should I go about heating it? Extra: Both platys killed were pregnant. I now have 2 remaining female platys (also both pregnant as far as I know), one female swordtail and one male swordtail. The angelfish is pretty small about 2 inches tall, and my platys and swordtails are about 1 1/2 inches long. Thank you in advance for any help!

✧・゚ *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*・゚✧
♥ Millie ♥
☆ ‎‎‎‎‎she/her ☆
/)/)
( . .)
c( づ♡
✿ TRADE ME !!! ✿
‎‎‎‎‎✧・゚ *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*・゚✧
captain.millie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Help! Angelfish killing platys! D:

Postby captain.millie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:34 am

up

♥ Millie ♥
☆ ‎‎‎‎‎she/her ☆
/)/)
( . .)
c( づ♡
✿ TRADE ME !!! ✿
captain.millie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BlingBling » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Send the angel back to the store and explain?

Shawol - Monbebe - Carat - Insomnia
BlingBling

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Did the dead platies have any visible symptoms of their cause of death? Wounds, red gills, anything out of ordinary? Have you actually seen the angelfish act aggressively towards the other fish? Yes, they can be aggressive, but usually they are so due territorial/protective behavior. The angelfish also sounds like it's still very young and they usually are not aggressive when young. Decoration can offer some shelter and hiding spots for the other fish, and also kinda divide the tank so that the fish aren't always on line of sight of each other. Also is your tank big enough for the angelfish? They can grow very tall so need not only long tank but also tall.
No, you can not put the angelfish in a bowl, even if was heated. Angelfish generally need a big tanks, as they not only grow long but also very tall and bowl just won't do in general, other than for very very very short term solution (like half a day or day at most, but even still you need to make sure there's enough oxygen and that the ammonia won't rise too high). If the angelfish is the actual reason for the deaths of the platies, I'd take it back to the store and explain the situation. If they aren't willing to take the fish back, then I'd find another way to re-home it.
Also side note: Swordtails and platies can cross breed, so generally are not adviced to be kept in the same tank.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby captain.millie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:34 am

mokuroh wrote:Send the angel back to the store and explain?

Store is closed until next week

♥ Millie ♥
☆ ‎‎‎‎‎she/her ☆
/)/)
( . .)
c( づ♡
✿ TRADE ME !!! ✿
captain.millie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby captain.millie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:40 am

Hime wrote:Did the dead platies have any visible symptoms of their cause of death? Wounds, red gills, anything out of ordinary? Have you actually seen the angelfish act aggressively towards the other fish? Yes, they can be aggressive, but usually they are so due territorial/protective behavior. The angelfish also sounds like it's still very young and they usually are not aggressive when young. Decoration can offer some shelter and hiding spots for the other fish, and also kinda divide the tank so that the fish aren't always on line of sight of each other. Also is your tank big enough for the angelfish? They can grow very tall so need not only long tank but also tall.
No, you can not put the angelfish in a bowl, even if was heated. Angelfish generally need a big tanks, as they not only grow long but also very tall and bowl just won't do in general, other than for very very very short term solution (like half a day or day at most, but even still you need to make sure there's enough oxygen and that the ammonia won't rise too high). If the angelfish is the actual reason for the deaths of the platies, I'd take it back to the store and explain the situation. If they aren't willing to take the fish back, then I'd find another way to re-home it.
Also side note: Swordtails and platies can cross breed, so generally are not adviced to be kept in the same tank.

The platys did have wounds, but I didn't get to examine them very well because my mom got grossed out and flushed them. I have a 30 gallon tank with like 4 big plants and some caves. My mom went out and bought a new heater since we had a second tank in the attic. He's been in there for almost a full 24 hours now and seems fine. I plan on taking it back to the store but its closed until next week!! Angel is good for the time being, though. Thanks for your help! ^^

♥ Millie ♥
☆ ‎‎‎‎‎she/her ☆
/)/)
( . .)
c( づ♡
✿ TRADE ME !!! ✿
captain.millie

My pets
My items
My wishlist