Where do you draw the line?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Where do you draw the line?

Postby S1520 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

As an agnostic, no meat or dairy. From doing a little research, dairy turned out to be a crueler process shockingly. :shock:
As someone who finds a lot of meaning in nature, I don't want to support anything that hurts it with my short life. It was a transition but it turned out to not be very difficult for me. Eating the same but only a few tweaks here and there. It's crazy how it benefits environmental, ethics and heath aspects, I don't even feel like I'm doing anything much different. I see no possible reason to go back. Of course the vegan community, there are some discouraging people and people who pressure others into following a sort of code. I'm kinda unique in how I don't mind consumption of insects, and catch and releasing fish. Most of my opinions aren't permanent though.
I think that a lot of reasoning in whether to eat an animal or not comes from understanding. We understand dogs well, so we'd feel sad to eat them. While many people don't get to meet pigs, and eat them despite their intelligence being higher than a dog's. I think insects would be a great alternative to other animals but that wouldn't become in demand. :lol: A lot of my reasoning comes from this idea that, people vote with their dollars. What I give my money to, I'm supporting with my life. Lots of what exists in the world, exists for financial reasons. So if my sister doesn't finish her icecream and wants to throw it away, I'll discreetly eat it for her :lol:
S1520

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:03 pm

I eat domesticated livestock and some finned fish and shell fish and that's where I draw the line. I won't eat companion animals, such as dogs or cats. I'm Jewish, so I technically should be eating kosher, but my family has never been one for following food rules.

my reptiles (aka my personal pets)
1.1 Uromastyx geyri, 3.1 Uromastyx ornata, 1.0 Uromastyx acanthinurus nigriventris, 2.0 piebald ball pythons, 1.0 puma ball python

i study lizards & bugs and like animals

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
blueh

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fishstix. » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:59 pm

I draw the line at animals that aren't domesticated for food
I honestly don't think it's good to eat companion animals, I mean I feel bad about cows but I hope they had a good life in the fields eating grass and at least they give lots of meat for a few families to have dinner.. But a dog? No. Nor a cat.

I also think it's horrific how people cut the fins off of sharks and set them back into the ocean. Animals that aren't as common should not be killed just for meat. Especially if they don't even die from the humans, but from being set free into the ocean without their fins. (Just imagine someone cutting off your legs then telling you to go back home). I think us humans are fine with our normal domesticated livestock.
Though my parents are both religious, they both accept that I might no follow the same religion so I'm able to eat types of meat I prefer
fishstix.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ru. » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:12 am

I was a vegetarian and animal welfare activist for 6 years. Then something happened and I came to the realization that nothing will ever change on a global scale. I became apathetic and depressed. I can't say that I completely gave up hope, but I accepted that everyone has very different world views and meat consumption is deeply ingrained in our global society.

I still don't eat a lot of meat, but I do eat it now. I feel weird about pork so I usually won't eat that. And I would feel weird about eating anything carnivorous (I can't explain why, but it makes me uncomfortable to eat something that has also consumed meat). Not eating pork or other carnivorous animals is not a moral issue for me like how being a vegetarian used to be for me. It's more of a "it is weird to eat something that eats meat and I don't think humans should do that" sort of thing. I can't explain it. It just makes me feel gross.

However! I completely okay with other people eating whatever they want, if it is done sustainably (and preferably as humanely as possible). It makes my blood boil when people get wildly upset about people eating dogs or horses but couldn't care less about what we in the western world do to cattle, chickens, and pigs.

People should be able to eat horse, dog, cat, cattle, chickens, etc. as long as they are caring for them properly before slaughter and it is not a factory-farm type scenario.

I think that all animals are essentially equal. None of them want to die and all of them feel pain. None are more deserving of pain than the next and so it is enraging to me when people put animals they are familiar with at such a higher priority than all other animals. It is not right imo. But I'll get off my soapbox now.

| INFJ | Capricorn | Blood Type B | Coyote Dæmon | Neutral Good | Creative Type |
ru.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sunfang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:04 pm

I tend value animals above humans, aside from the people in my personal life. So I tend to only eat or buy meat when I have to out of respect for a meal someone else has prepared for me, for my own pets, or if I know where it came from such as local farmers.
Sunfang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:22 pm

ru. wrote:I was a vegetarian and animal welfare activist for 6 years. Then something happened and I came to the realization that nothing will ever change on a global scale. I became apathetic and depressed. I can't say that I completely gave up hope, but I accepted that everyone has very different world views and meat consumption is deeply ingrained in our global society.

I still don't eat a lot of meat, but I do eat it now. I feel weird about pork so I usually won't eat that. And I would feel weird about eating anything carnivorous (I can't explain why, but it makes me uncomfortable to eat something that has also consumed meat). Not eating pork or other carnivorous animals is not a moral issue for me like how being a vegetarian used to be for me. It's more of a "it is weird to eat something that eats meat and I don't think humans should do that" sort of thing. I can't explain it. It just makes me feel gross.

However! I completely okay with other people eating whatever they want, if it is done sustainably (and preferably as humanely as possible). It makes my blood boil when people get wildly upset about people eating dogs or horses but couldn't care less about what we in the western world do to cattle, chickens, and pigs.

People should be able to eat horse, dog, cat, cattle, chickens, etc. as long as they are caring for them properly before slaughter and it is not a factory-farm type scenario.

I think that all animals are essentially equal. None of them want to die and all of them feel pain. None are more deserving of pain than the next and so it is enraging to me when people put animals they are familiar with at such a higher priority than all other animals. It is not right imo. But I'll get off my soapbox now.

so from what you say...when it is ok for People to eat anything they want...then it is fully normal to eat human...as we are animals...we have meat an as long as we are loved and cared for it is alright...atleast it should be so as we are all the same..yes?
....interesting thought....

@ s1520
dairy and milk is not so cruel when done right^^
your idea with insects to eat is good and i find it interesting how much is already on the market...from what i did hear it will be a big thing in the future, an bether alternative to some meat and for areas where you cant keep any or only some livestock, so that with more and more things from insects.

--
i know i would never eat meat, even when i would eat meat i would not ever eat horses as they are big help to us humans..without horses we would be nothing at all,we would be not at this point....and dogs as they are one of our oldest companions and guards.,...cats too they help with rodents and such....and endangered animals i dont even want to get started they are a big no.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:27 am

Pilate wrote:I draw the line at cannibalism.

Omg I love this

For me, I don't try any meat of animals I have not had. I won't eat lamb, or baby cows, I don't eat any sort of seafood period, not even fish eggs. I eat chicken, very little turkey, very little pork, and next to no red meat. (Because I don't like it)

People eat deer here, apparently that is shocking for people who live in france! A french professor I had said "You eat bambi!" (When referring to americans)

And in france, they eat bunnies :<
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
▌▓
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
❥ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesisolistoAuction
xx➵ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tsu-bear » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:11 pm

I draw the line at dogs, horses, and cats.
Since I am a Christian we aren't supposed to eat animals that don't have cloven hooves or chew cud.
I however have eaten cows, chickens, and bacon (I will not for the life of me eat any other kind of pig or whatever other than bacon), rabbit etc.
So ye, horses dogs and cats is where I draw the line.
xxImage

╔ ——————————————————————— ╗
artshop - trade thread - carrd - deviantart - TH
╚ ——————————————————————— ╝

hey there ! im tsu-bear, you can call me Bear !
i love drawing, iron man and video gaming, some favorites
include: tetris, minecraft, stardew, hzd

╔ ——————————————————————— ╗
my commissions are [open, USD only]
discord: tsu_bear

╚ ——————————————————————— ╝

tsu-bear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CarbonatedWeasel, » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:21 pm

.Spearow. wrote:
Pilate wrote:I draw the line at cannibalism.

Omg I love this

For me, I don't try any meat of animals I have not had. I won't eat lamb, or baby cows, I don't eat any sort of seafood period, not even fish eggs. I eat chicken, very little turkey, very little pork, and next to no red meat. (Because I don't like it)

People eat deer here, apparently that is shocking for people who live in france! A french professor I had said "You eat bambi!" (When referring to americans)

And in france, they eat bunnies :<

In america they eat rabbits too! It's very healthy. It's also easily available.
Rabbit meat is nothing out of the ordinary for me.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxHey, I'm Weasel.
xxxFeel free to shoot
xxxme a pm!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CarbonatedWeasel,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sadies » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:55 am

I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat animals, including chicken and fish (because apparently fish are not animals in the eyes of A LOT of people??? o.O). I don't eat animals mostly because I disagrees with the farming methods but also because I see too many familiarities between myself and them.

HOWEVER that's my opinion and it does not bother me when other people eat meat. My fiancée is a carnivore. (not literally however if he stops eating meat it makes him feel really ill.)

If I was to eat meat again, I probably would not have any issues with eating a dog or a cat, as long as they were raised in a standard I agree with. I have never understood the whole 'I can eat a cow but I won't eat a dog' argument. I don't understand the difference between eating different species just because one lives in the house with us. Pigs make brilliant pets but people still eat them. I guess the sentimental argument has always annoyed me, I'm too cold hearted. Haha. I even argue this with other vegetarians when they put this argument forward lols.
Sorry for my slow response time on RP's. My new job steals ALL my time. :(

xxxxx

Sadies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me