Small, low-energy, non-yappy dog?

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Small, low-energy, non-yappy dog?

Postby Moose12 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:28 am

I'm trying to convince my parents to get a dog so I'm looking for a good breed. It needs to be rather small or medium-smallish. It can't be high-energy and shouldn't need a lot of exercise each day. It can't be yapopy, must be good with cats and should be able to stay home alone for long periods of time around 9 hours a day three days a week. Any ideas?
Last edited by Moose12 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moose12

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Small, low-energy, non-yappy dog?

Postby Moose12 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:29 am

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Moose12 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moose12

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~The~Peacock~Tazzy~ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:49 am

here is a quiz that show dogs that would work well with your personality
http://animal.discovery.com/breedselect ... orindex.do
just press start your search
~The~Peacock~Tazzy~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darkest.Nation » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:05 pm

Larger dogs tend to be less hyper because they're bigger. My mini schnauzers are yappy yappy yappy!

Pekingese and Boston Terriers are great, small dogs that are mellow and enjoy leisurely country strolls.

Whippets aren't yappy either, but are quite fast and fragile. They are a smaller version of the greyhound.

Greyhounds are larger, and come up to the knee/mid-thigh of a regular adult male. They need only a few sprints a day, and then spend the rest of the day lounging on the couch, and are good with adults and older children. They're okay with cats, but you can adopt a wonderful, cat-friendly Greyhound, as well as any other breed.

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
http://www.petfinder.com/
Character Page
[ My past usernames were Invisiblemoonlight14, Water For Elephants, & Fly.With.Me. Please don't use. ]
ImageImageImage
Darkest.Nation

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shai » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Moose12 wrote:I'm trying to convince my parents to get a dog so I'm looking for a good breed. It needs to be rather small or medium-smallish. It can't be high-energy and should only need one long walk and some play time each day. It can't be yapopy, must be good with cats and should be able to stay home alone for long periods of time three days a week. I'm thinking a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Any ideas?

There is practically no dog breed that will come like that. Almost all small dogs only need one longish walk , but most small dogs are yappy, and most aren't perfect with cats. However, all of those can be trained, so your best choice would also be an easily trainable dog breed. Personally Papillons are good, they are really easy to train, aren't very yappy to start with, and also have a low dog stink, which is good if you've never had a dog before (some dogs stink a lot).

Before you pick a breed, you should do a lot of research about all the breeds. Another important thing is Health Problems. Most dogs will have them, so you'd want to pick a breed with relatively few. Mutts have less Health Problems, but so do Papillons (yes, I love them XD).
Derp. Derp.
Shai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby hunter172 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Moose12 wrote:Or a PUGGLE!

DO NOT GET A PUGGLE.
They are very yappy and highly energetic due to the beagle. They need lots of walks, and love. I had one and we could not leave him alone for more then 3 hours.

I will suggest later. (:
ImageImage
hunter172

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cuecumbercool » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:23 am

OMGGGG!!! GREYHOUNDDD!!!!! They live with cats, they fit your walk requirements, they will sleep almost all day, they are quiet, they have fab temprements and they are very easy to adopt!
Theres a link to the Retired Greyhound Trust home page Here: http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/ thats in England, but there are loads all over america and all over the world you just need to look!! please concisder them as they are AMAZING DOGS!
Pet's name: Mints
Pet's name: Latte
Latte & Mints go well together!
cuecumbercool

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ninja Nabi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:25 am

A mutt.

My mutt eats rats,loves cats,and is quiet.

So try to get a nice mutt,they aren't that bad, and are usually much cheaper than purebreds. :D
ImagePeople with this sign are said to have these characteristics:

Smart, calm, patient, inspiring, modest, dependable, hard-working, born leader.

Can be stubborn, narrow-minded, demanding, rigid
Ninja Nabi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ~krista~ » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:18 am

What your asking for is REALLY hard to find in a dog. I would suggest a basset hound but the main downside to those are that they STINK. You can give them a bath one day and then the next, they would smell to high heaven. They are really short and loving. They have extremely low energy and will usually just lay down and take long naps.
Spaniels like the King Charles you were talking about mostly have a lot of energy.
Every dog is different with a different temperament and it will probably take you a while searching to find the dog you want. You probably want to go ahead and get an adult dog (at least 3 years old) because at that point most dogs calm down. I would suggest meeting each dog you are considering and seeing what they are like before you adopt them.
Good luck and I hope this helped!
~krista~
Please click these: None currently
I am trying to collect a full set of dogs. Any help (trades, ect.) is highly appreciated!
ImageImage
~krista~

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Moose12 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 am

Thanks so much guys I really like big sort of energetic dogs but my mom only wants a smallish dog. I think the Greyhound might be best even though it's bigger. Any idea what kind of exercise it needs like a long WALK or a run around the block? My neighbor hood walk route that I would probably take is a big circle with a medium sized hill and we have a dog park I could take him to sometimes. Are greyhounds good with 11 year olds? I have a younger sister. My dad says that if his favorite football team wins the Super Bowl then we could get a dog and his teams doing really good. Thanks for the help guys!
Moose12

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me