NEW THREAD PG 7

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: training talk || v.1 open

Postby Winstalgia » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:15 pm

That was so thorough and it really did help!

I have had Chip for a little over half a year and what I've learned so far is that he lays down often. He only sits when he's eating or waiting to go outside.

We do not have a vet right now because of well... No need to go into an explanation there.

He actually doesn't play often and I'm assuming his old owners spoiled him with treats. He was overweight when he came to us too. I'm on mobile so this is pretty short for me.

He plays with the carpet strings and rolls over often when he does.

However he's also food driven so finding a good treat I could just use chicken as he does like that.
"𝕹𝖔𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 π–™π–—π–Šπ–†π–˜π–šπ–—π–Š"
adult
Hi! Call me Rain or Wins! hope all is well.
I love philosophy, paradoxes, and thought
experiments. Fermi paradox is my favorite.
Really avid blink-182 fan! I love their music.
I also really like DnD and fantasy stuff.
Currently working on a visual novel!

"π–Žπ–˜ π–˜π–Žπ–‘π–›π–Šπ–— 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–Œπ–”π–‘π–‰."
Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spectacular. » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:18 am

Hello everyone this a serious question/concern. Training dogs with evacuation plans? I live in a flood area and a hurricane area. I'm not sure if you guys know about Hurricane Harvey that struck Houston. I live two hours outside of Husistion and we are experiencing rainstorms. Nothing as bad as what Texas is experiencing but I wanna have a plan or some information how training dogs for leaving quickly. We are not very organized in everything so this is something I'm looking to prepare for the future. For a reference here are our dogs.

Maddie, an older Labrador, over 100 pounds (She is overweight working on that) no behavioral issues but she is a very large dog. Has allergies and chronic ear infections, possibly is losing her hearing.

Lucy, a Boxer / American pit bull terrier. She has issues, an extremely reactive dog requires a muzzle when she goes out. not trusting of people. Although she is luckily a smaller dog only about forty-five pounds.

And Skyler is a young puppy only about three months old currently. She is an Akita mix who is also not very trusting of people. She likes other dogs but will require a muzzle as she gets older.

Any help would be appreciated. We also have six cats and rabbits if anyone knows how to kennel train cats.
spectacular.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:12 am

@ spectacular
not so easy to tell like this, i hope you understand this what i did write^^

maybe try this
First---take your time...dont do it when you only have a second time, go not to fast, one calm step after the other...be ready to step one or two steps back in training, use something to feed that they love but dont get so often...

the best way is when they see it as game, or as the best place to sleep ever....^^

put the box (use the right box for each pet^^) in a calm room or near there sleeping area, put something soft inside that they like to sleep on like a blanket from there bed..and feed them inside...you can start with putting there food in the middle, or throwing in treats...some bovor the box some inside...maybe in a game of fetch...throw one in the room oe near the box, one one step more near the box and then upps one inside the box...when pet goes inside or half inside tell it how great it does, and when you did this sometime, and it goes inside without stopping tell it while it goes inside "go in he box" and give an extra treat...when pet stays calm maybe feed more treats and tell it to wait in the box, when it stays and lies down be even more happy and give extra treat...with time you give less treats and let it stay longer inside with open door....

...and with anything what goes....please dont close the doors the first times...when the pet is inside and stays inside without beeing nervous close the door a little and give some treat and so on, you will see when the right time is to Close the door for real...and each time a bit longer...with some treat ...you also could put there bed inside put a blanket over it so they get a cave Cage or such...some will go insie and stay there without problem some may need more time and training and so on...

hope you tell how it goes :!: :D

and while you at this you can train at the dog or human fear-aggression....like that a dog means nice treats when they sit calmly or walk calmly and the same for people...no touch or Play but nice chewy treas they would not get anywhere but then when atleast calm, it will help too when you ever really did to make a run from bad weather and then come Close together with human and Dogs, so when they stay calm it will be more easy^^

but why will the Akita need a muzzle when not bad with dogs....human fear is not so hard to train out of a dog this young
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spectacular. » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Alright. Thank you for the idea. ^^ I will defiantly try putting blankets or a bed in it for my cats. We are planning on buying some nice carrying kennels for the dogs and cats that I can put food and water holders on. For dogs is it better to have the wire kennels or the kinda travel kennels like for cats?

Also with the Akita she has no fear of humans. That's the issue, she is extremely standoffish. I'm working with it but she still is very guarding. She will not snap but simply stare people and other dogs down. I'm just preparing for when she will most likely have to have a muzzle.
spectacular.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby caf. » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 pm

as an addition to what @Luzien said, once you have a crate cue established, bombproof it. at first, leave a toy/treat your pet likes and tell them to ignore it and crate. praise big time - you want the crate to be as positive as possible, so big rewards. then you can up the ante: having a friend/family member be loud and distracting while you crate; crating outside; crating at a dog park; crating in all rooms of the house; crating in the car; the possibilities are endless. your goal is that no matter how scary and chaotic the situation is, the command is always followed.
you might also want to establish a really solid 'come' cue; teach your animals to come when called and bombproof it the same way, so that no matter where your animals are they'll come running when they hear you call.
too many owners train their animals in the same place every time, so the cue becomes useless in other areas. make sure your animals know that if they listen to you no matter what else is happening, they'll be rewarded.
caf - they/them - bi
equestrian - vocalist - student

mostly i hang around here for
RVEC nowadays, though i
roleplay on occasion. chat
with me about horses, music,
math, science, or...anything!
caf.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby spectacular. » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 am

Alright everyone. Thank you for the information. We have begun crate training for my older girl and our two cats. I have a kennel set up in my room for my dog and we have about three or four small kennels with blankets inside them for the cats. Once a day I put treats in the kennels so that they have to go inside to get them. We have figured out that the older cat will sleep in the kennels so that's an awesome step forward! ^^

My dog is doing pretty good with it. Thinking about buying a nicer crate so she can go into it, to eat every day. So fingers crossed the hard work pays off. Working on the cats come when called. (I'm always working on my dogs come when called.) I'm thinking about the cats may be opening tuna? or shaking a bag of treats. Not sure. Picture of dog included for your convenience.

spectacular.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 am

So, I need tips on crate training. Cats. He comes when called but hates being cooped up and it would only be for temporary moments and when we're going places.

_not feeling well....so..short
adult

Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re:

Postby Luzien » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 pm

spectacular. wrote:
    Alright everyone. Thank you for the information. We have begun crate training for my older girl and our two cats. I have a kennel set up in my room for my dog and we have about three or four small kennels with blankets inside them for the cats. Once a day I put treats in the kennels so that they have to go inside to get them. We have figured out that the older cat will sleep in the kennels so that's an awesome step forward! ^^

My dog is doing pretty good with it. Thinking about buying a nicer crate so she can go into it, to eat every day. So fingers crossed the hard work pays off. Working on the cats come when called. (I'm always working on my dogs come when called.) I'm thinking about the cats may be opening tuna? or shaking a bag of treats. Not sure. Picture of dog included for your convenience.

what a cute pic :D
that is really great that it does work and that one cat already sleeps inside the kennel on her own, it looks as if you did work well with them:D
do you already know what new crate you want to buy for her?

for the cats, the idea of tuna or bag of treats is not bad, but maybe try a little bottle with some really nice treats inside or something else... for a bether sound( it may be more easy that having many many open tunas standing around...but as treat it is nice :lol: ), shake it when they sit in front of you and give asap a treat (goes faster in the beginning when you have some treats in the hand ^^) when they look at you or come to you, an so on and each time bevor you call them do the same...till he point when you are in an other room and you shake the bottle they will come to get it^^...some may come for a whistle and some playtime or whistle and treats, maybe even some bells that you shake to call them....you will see what each of them works bether too^^ ....

@ GingerLemon
you may want to look some posts back there is some answer to your question ;)
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Winstalgia » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:08 am

Um..whoops! Sorry. I feel better today and I have regained my lost voice a little too. That covers alot of stuff....
adult

Winstalgia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WastedSpace » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Does anybody have any advice or ideas for an anxiety-ridden dog during monsoon season?

We can't leave her alone because she destroys anything and everything if it's storming outside. She's scratched up our doors (which have specific patterns carved into them, so it's important we keep her from doing this more as we plan on moving in a few years), eaten a whole cabinet door, torn up carpet, eaten any food she can reach, eaten rugs, etc. Even if we close all the doors to side rooms, she still rips stuff up.
We used to be able to give her a benadryl to calm her, but it seems to have no effect on her for a while now. As well, she's on several meds to help with pain in her leg, so we have to be careful of meds interacting now.
Tried a DIY thundershirt. A couple times. She did not like it at all.
Even though we got her to see her crate as a safe space that she now sometimes goes to when it storms, she can't be left alone, even in the crate. The last time we left her alone she ate through it. Heavy-duty plastic crate and she ate the whole side off (and ripped up her mouth in the process). Tried two different fixes and she ate through both of them. We switched to plastic crates when she ate through the metal crate she had when she was younger. And we really can't afford to just keep going through crates. =\
And I can't even take her out to do anything. I'll admit, we didn't do a great job training her when she was younger (partially because she was my younger sister's dog but my sister didn't believe in training animals and specifically worked against us in training and partially just because we didn't really want a dog so we plain didn't put in the time and energy to really training her like we should have). But she tends not to like men and she doesn't like dogs her size or bigger. She's typically pretty well behaved but she does bark and growl at people/dogs she doesn't like and if someone she didn't like made a sudden movement, she would likely bite. And lots of people unleash dogs here, so I can't even sit with her at a park or something. And I can't go walking with even in a leashed park because her because she pulled a ligament in one of her legs and isn't supposed to walk on it.

All I want to do is go walk around for PoGo right now, but even though the sky is clear and blue, it thundered twice, so I can't leave the dog, who is currently cowering inside next to me. And once my mom gets back from work, I'll need to fix or help fix dinner, so I can't leave even when the dog gets another supervisor.

I feel bad enough for the dog not being able to walk, but I'm beginning to feel trapped here. =X I have trouble remembering exact years, but she's around 11 years old now and still going strong (aside from the torn ligament, really the only other sign of aging is her hearing getting worse). She's a mix with lab and something else we're not completely sure of. She's like a smaller medium sized dog.

So any tips? :< Should we put in the effort to up her training? How should we go about starting that?
WastedSpace

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me