Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What do you have rabbits for?

I don't own a rabbit (YET!)
28%
My rabbits are companion pets!
48%
I raise show rabbits!
10%
I use rabbits as a food source
6%
I use them for wool! *starts knitting*
3%
Other...
5%

Total votes : 432

Re: Rabbit Owner Chat V.2

Postby Burrito Bunny » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:01 am

@King Kakashi
My rabbits don't really smell. Only if the litter box really needs to be cleaned. Neutering or spaying helps cut down the scent because they won't feel the need to "mark their territory" as often, if at all. The first couple weeks are the worst for territorial behavior, but after theyve settled in they usually stop the behavior if they've been fixed.

I personally do not recommend wood shavings anyway so no worries there! However, I do have one concern for you: hay is absolutely necessary for rabbits. If hay can trigger your allergies you may have to reconsider, since it is absolutely vital for a rabbit, and they need lots of it. I would say the hay smells more than the buns tbh.
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eagledawg » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:25 am

Bit of a tangent, as I see this thread is guilty of this..

Why do people make rabbits out to be such complicated pets by spreading incorrect information?

"Wire bottoms are BAD! They cause bumblefoot!"
"Rabbits need A TON of space!"
And it just goes on.

I'm not saying the conditions in which meat rabbits are kept are always optimal, but you'd think people would calm down a bit considering meat rabbits often live in smallish, purely wire cages so the waste can fall through, eat entirely pelleted diets .etc. and do perfectly fine. These people often aren't even vegetarians or anything, so they help fund the treatment of battery hens, for example, but GOD FORBID you keep your pet in a hutch outside or in a less than ideal cage.

Is it to make yourselves seem special?
I don't get it. Maybe your rabbits truly are frail since you, as pet owners, possibly don't cull heavily enough.
eagledawg

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sir stingray. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:14 am

mosparkle wrote:I have a question

So, I've had this lop for about a year maybe a year and a half, and she's been vibrating her leg. I have no clue what it means and would like some help
sir stingray.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:45 am

@eagle just like dogs they do need room to play, so it really does depend on your housing situation and how often you're home with your rabbit. And uhm.... what's the point of this? To start an argument or vent? And in my opinion all pets are complicated, are they not? They each have certain needs that need to be met, some harder than others. Hermit crabs for example, they cant just be thrown in a plastic bin with water and sand. Which most people think; they actually need alot more things, like humidity and proper feeding. They aren't simple at all. And neither are rabbits. Rabbits need your time, attention, care, money, and living space. And it has to keep them happy and occupied. I'd call that complicated. You cant just throw him in a tiny cage by himself with no interaction or play other than feeding(If he's a pet). Thats neglect. And I'm not taking sides with the wire bottoms because its the owner's choice. But there was no need to come on here and say we're all trying to seem 'special'. I know it's your opinion, but there are more polite ways to go about things.

my rabbits stay outside most of the day during the fall/spring and cooler summer days, but they have alot of water and shade.

@mos;; huh, that's a tricky one, by vibrating do you mean thumping it against the ground very quickly and repetitively? If so it could mean the rabbit has seen something new and perceives it as danger,
if not; it could still mean he is terrified, as he is a prey animal and won't 'scream' unless he's actually being attacked or dying
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ToxicHeaven » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:17 pm

So I was just curious on if anyone had an explanation it is nothing huge I just don get it lately my bun has been climbing on top of his cage and just sitting there. His cage is clean with fresh bedding, litter, food, water even with a few toys but he still chooses to sit on top of his cage doing nothing.
ToxicHeaven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:31 am

ToxicHeaven wrote:So I was just curious on if anyone had an explanation it is nothing huge I just don get it lately my bun has been climbing on top of his cage and just sitting there. His cage is clean with fresh bedding, litter, food, water even with a few toys but he still chooses to sit on top of his cage doing nothing.

our do it too...we have flat top houses in there outside run, and they sit on them to bether look out, to sun bath and maybe get away from insect running in the grass too :lol: but most rabbit like to sit up on something higher, you see this with free ones too, it makes them happy and feel more safe...so when you put some houses in there indoor or outdoor run and large cage, also a wooden wall run like for cats do worke nice for them t jump up and they can ue more of there cage or rabbit room, with flat roof for them to jump on, it will make them happy, also a little hill from earth and grass or a big stone does work^^....atleast that is what i read and how happy our little ones look when they do it.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Standall » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:32 am

I dont have a rabbit ubt it
ImageImageImageImage
Standall

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:23 am

Burrito Bunny wrote:@King Kakashi
My rabbits don't really smell. Only if the litter box really needs to be cleaned. Neutering or spaying helps cut down the scent because they won't feel the need to "mark their territory" as often, if at all. The first couple weeks are the worst for territorial behavior, but after theyve settled in they usually stop the behavior if they've been fixed.

I personally do not recommend wood shavings anyway so no worries there! However, I do have one concern for you: hay is absolutely necessary for rabbits. If hay can trigger your allergies you may have to reconsider, since it is absolutely vital for a rabbit, and they need lots of it. I would say the hay smells more than the buns tbh.

You know what? I completely forgot that I'm allergic to hay xD NO BUNS FOR ME! But I love them though <3

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby SuperChihuahua » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:24 am

I have a rabbit question : Do they really bite your fingers off, that’s why I can’t get one.
SuperChihuahua

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wanda. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:29 am

SuperChihuahua wrote:I have a rabbit question : Do they really bite your fingers off, that’s why I can’t get one.

I cant speak for all rabbits, but i used to be able to feed my rabbits the really small rabbit pellets by hand and they'd carefully take it out of my hand without biting me. the only time they were ever "violent" was when we picked them up, the rest of the time they were fine.
wanda.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me