🐚 Crustacean Talk!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

🐚 Crustacean Talk!

Postby Spearow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:18 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage
🐚 Crustacean Discussion🐚

Rules;

β—‹ Advice can be given about enclosures and habitats, but be respectful if your there are disagreements!
β—‹ You can post more than once per page if you are responding to someone.
β—‹ Feel free to post pictures of your pets!
β—‹ Forum rules apply; be respectful.

For fun discussion questions you can answer if you want. Feel free to discuss/ask anything else crustacean related!

-questions for crustacean owners-

Code: Select all
[b]What crustacean(s) do you own?;[/b]
[b]Any that you would like to have some day?;[/b]
[b]How long have you had her/him/them?;[/b]

-questions for anyone-

Code: Select all
[b]Favorite crustacean species?;[/b]
[b]Have you owned any crustaceans in the past?;[/b]
[b]Do they creep you out? Or are they adorable to you?;[/b]

*any suggestions to changes to make to the thread|discussion questions to add| etc. feel free to pm me or post here!*
Last edited by Spearow on Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 🐚 Crustacean Talk!

Postby Spearow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:18 pm

More crabby pictures;

.Spearow.'s hermit crabs
Stiles;
x
x

Stiles;Glouton;Vaughn;
x
Last edited by Spearow on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
β₯ Trade me?
xxstatus: tired
x x
xxtradesβ—‹β™«β—‹isoβ—‹listoβ—‹Auction
xx➡ Looking for wishlist!
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:23 pm

I posted about one of my crabbies the other day and saw there were quite a few members on CS who own crustaceans of some sort. So I made this lil thread to chat, hopefully some of you like the idea. (:

As promised, I went and bought my little girl Glouton a playmate after her last remaining friend passed away. I will post some pictures of them when I get them uploaded later!

Unfortunately the pet stores crabs were in poor condition, they did however have a heat lamp at least. But several were missing little legs and one was missing their large claw. I ended up picking a really sassy one, he is quite afraid of people right now but I'm hoping he will come around. For now I am assuming he is a male until I can examine him when he isn't as stressed.

He was in a poorly painted shell. -cringe- But happy to announce he swapped into one of my many natural shells and is a lot happier now! β™₯
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
β₯ Trade me?
x x
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumnlp99 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:55 pm

What crustacean(s) do you own?; I own two Halloween moon crabs at the moment, had three to begin with, one passed sadly though.
Any that you would like to have some day?; Oh yes, I'm planning on getting some hermies once I get some more space, right now I'm kind of maxed out lol
How long have you had her/him/them?; A few months, around 4 I think?
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 11 people.
I have received 11 gifts.

Autumnlp99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Leafy. wrote:
What crustacean(s) do you own?; I own two Halloween moon crabs at the moment, had three to begin with, one passed sadly though.
Any that you would like to have some day?; Oh yes, I'm planning on getting some hermies once I get some more space, right now I'm kind of maxed out lol

Hermit crabs are so cute, love'em. hehe

The species of crabby you have is so pretty. β™₯ Any way of telling their sex?
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
β₯ Trade me?
x x
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Hermit crab picture time!

For some reason they are chilling on the gravel side of their tank tonight (which is less than half of their enclosure), maybe because its a bit damp and they want to crawl around in it before they go curl up near the heater on the opposite side. xD Also, Glouton is the one sticking out of her shell hogging their little mineral block thing they like to munch on.

This is my new crabby is a purple pincher, and he is quite a bit smaller than Glouton. When I got him he was in a poorly painted yellow shell with a bad uneven seal. The pet store really didn't have a very good habitat for them at all.. . All the crabs were very stressed and unsociable. And a lot were missing major body parts. I chose Sassmaster pictured below, because he is quite aggressive with people. He was really on guard and as a purple pincher he had his big claw ready to get me. xD

Luckily within my first few days of having him he chose a new shell (and I have several available for them) for himself. A natural one with no paint on it. β™₯ Really happy to have saved him. And he and Glouton like hanging out. hehe

//my mom took terrible pictures//

and a funny picture of Glouton trying to get out of my moms hand. xD She is a bit sassy herself but she is a friendly girl.

I cannot use words to describe how much I love little tiny hermit crab eyeballs. xDD
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
β₯ Trade me?
x x
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Autumnlp99 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 pm

.Spearow. wrote:
Leafy. wrote:

Thank you!
I believe it's something to do with their pores, but I personally don't know how to sex them.
May I actually ask a question about your hermits?
Basically, my moons are always underground, and it seems most other owners tend to stay burrowed too, molting or not.
Do your hermits stay burrowed allot, or do they tend to stay on top of the substrate more?
I quite like show-y animals and while I love my crabs, it's kind of sad never seeing them, they're literally pet holes lol!
I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 11 people.
I have received 11 gifts.

Autumnlp99

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:40 pm

Leafy. wrote:
.Spearow. wrote:
Leafy. wrote:

Thank you!
I believe it's something to do with their pores, but I personally don't know how to sex them.
Basically, my moons are always underground, and it seems most other owners tend to stay burrowed too, molting or not.
Do your hermits stay burrowed allot, or do they tend to stay on top of the substrate more?
I quite like show-y animals and while I love my crabs, it's kind of sad never seeing them, they're literally pet holes lol!

xD Well, I think it depends on them and their preference. While hermits are molting they bury themselves. My crab that passed away recently enjoyed burying himself all the time in the sand. xD Glouton and my other one I had have not as of yet buried themselves or dug around much. Vaughn liked climbing on top of their driftwood pieces and just chilling up there. And Glouton's favorite places are the food and water bowls. (hence her name being the french word for glutton).

She just sleeps out in the open its weird. xD like halfway out of her shell. Yet she won't get in any of the other shells. And 'Sassmaster' is a brat and you never see him moving. But if you turn away then look back he will be like on the other side of the tank. Or he will have flipped the mineral block. And now he's playing hide-n-seek with the shells xD They should have a few inches of sand to dig in though so they can molt when they need to. Stiles like to bury himself and snuggle against the heater.

Also! For hermies you [i]can
determine the sex. Females on the furthermost rear legs there are two tiny indention's which are their little reproduction parts. And male's simply do not have these. But if your hermie is shy (like my new one) they male not let you ever discover their sex haha

Glouton, Stiles and Vaughn were active since the day I got them. They practically dangle out of their shell when you pick them up. (they won't fall out when you check)[/i]
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
β₯ Trade me?
x x
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spearow » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:19 am

Haha crabby mascot.

I believe there is another crab item, a plushie from beach event? Can make more haha

β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
β–Œβ–“
xx
xxxImage
xx
xxx
β₯ Trade me?
x x
Spearow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:59 am

Leafy. wrote:
.Spearow. wrote:
Leafy. wrote:

Thank you!

If they're always underground I'd be concerned that there's something not right in the tank environment. Hermit crabs will often bury themselves if the temperature or humidity isn't right.
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me