Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby rose.bloom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 am

Taiger Lilly wrote:
Image
this is my life now

(yes,she is standing)

What a beautiful pupper! What breed???
❁ bloom // 16+ // bisexual // she/her // comp. surfer // future exotic animal specialist or zoologist ❁
User avatar
rose.bloom
 
Posts: 4774
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:58 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby ligning » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:19 am

Luzien wrote:
ligning wrote:
Taiger Lilly wrote:(yes,she is standing)

She looks like she's recobsidering her life choices

Quik wuestion just to reassure myself, it's normal for a 9 week old labrador pup to pack 1 kilo a week?


what is the dogs weight right now...to how big he is?
do you monitor your puppy's growth and weight week-by-week or even day by day ? and made a weight and growth chart?

a pup should gain between ten to 15 percent of its birth weight every day. By eight to ten days old, the puppy should double its weight. Depending on the size and breed, new owners can expect a growth spurt in the following time spans:
•For small breeds, between birth and 11 weeks old
•For medium breeds, between birth and 16 weeks old
•For large breeds, between birth and four to five months old

During this time, the puppy should gain a significant amount of weight - generally five ounces per week for a small breed dog and 2.5 pounds for a large breed. The weight increase may vary slightly from week to week. If a puppy fails to gain weight, you should visit your vet for an assessment. Worms, intestinal upsets and poor nutrition may keep your little one from growing

You can make your own chart with graph paper or on a computer spreadsheet. Record the puppy's weight at birth, if available. Each time a new weight is taken, record the date and the amount. You'll be able to see at a glance if your little one is gaining, losing or staying the same.

Monitoring a puppy's weight is an important diagnostic tool for the breeder or an owner. Keep good records and you will be able to see a problem before it becomes life-threatening

(this right now was only the most easy basic...it all depends on the breed (eve between the breed..like when they have the normal line or working breed line), the parent, siblings, the feeding,.......and so on)


Thank you Luzien!
He is a labrador puppy and he is 6,3 kilo as of now which is uses some shady conversion egine 222 ounches? We've had him for a week now and me and my parents agree that he is a bit chubby but I'm noticing he's working that off ^.^
It is clear that I must find my other half. But is it a he or a she? What does this person look like? Identical to me? Or somehow complementary? Does my other half have what I don't? Did he get the looks? The luck? The love? Were we really separated forceably or did he just run off with the good stuff? Or did I? Will this person embarrass me? Can two people actually become one again?

Image
User avatar
ligning
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:55 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby eleutheromania » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 am

i can not stand designer breeds. there is no true standard for the breed and it is mainly for marketing. they weren’t bred for a purpose they were bred for a fad. they are mutts due to the fact that they aren’t bred for a purpose and there is no real standard.

anyone can register their dog with CKC and contracts don’t do anything unless the breeder takes it to civil court. also neutering and spaying any large breed that early can harm their growth. that being said CKC is not really a reputable registry. they also cannot sell without breeding rights unless not giving papers but then you could register the dog anyway. along with the contracts, a dog is considered property and thus once money exchanges hands, there is really nothing a breeder can do unless they spend more money taking you to civil court. has happened to plenty of dachshund breeders in the group i’m in. you have that one person that breeds a dog that shouldn’t be bred.

a breeder should meet the standard of the breed for show or working quality, not because they are cute. that’s how i see it. health testing is to help prevent any genetic diseases a dog could have and it is beneficial. why not try and prevent genetic isssues if you can seeing as you’re responsible when you breed two dogs have a puppy comes out with genetic issues you could have prevented. health testing is slowly making its way towards more breeders.

you have to be breeding show/pet/ working quality dogs to be a reputable breeder, otherwise you aren’t bettering the breeds at all.

what does a labrodoodle have as a purpose?
a pomsky?
that’s my two sense, i’m not being harsh either. it’s actually a fun topic to discus and it’s been brought up a few times. welcome to the site!
User avatar
eleutheromania
 
Posts: 25403
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:40 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby otis » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:02 am

with your point out labradoodles and pomskys, i dont agree with cross breeding. i dont any mutts, except the one i adopted from the shelter and he has absolutely horrid health issues. there is often the argument to adopt, dont shop, but the idea can be costly with the health issues that come along with inbred and mutts. im a breeder myself, of american foxhounds and basset hounds, and we have yet to have health problems. i prefer purebred dogs, but I do own one mutt and he is my love.
User avatar
otis
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:15 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby PerpetualMints » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 am

eleutheromania wrote:i can not stand designer breeds. there is no true standard for the breed and it is mainly for marketing. they weren’t bred for a purpose they were bred for a fad. they are mutts due to the fact that they aren’t bred for a purpose and there is no real standard.

anyone can register their dog with CKC and contracts don’t do anything unless the breeder takes it to civil court. also neutering and spaying any large breed that early can harm their growth. that being said CKC is not really a reputable registry. they also cannot sell without breeding rights unless not giving papers but then you could register the dog anyway. along with the contracts, a dog is considered property and thus once money exchanges hands, there is really nothing a breeder can do unless they spend more money taking you to civil court. has happened to plenty of dachshund breeders in the group i’m in. you have that one person that breeds a dog that shouldn’t be bred.

a breeder should meet the standard of the breed for show or working quality, not because they are cute. that’s how i see it. health testing is to help prevent any genetic diseases a dog could have and it is beneficial. why not try and prevent genetic isssues if you can seeing as you’re responsible when you breed two dogs have a puppy comes out with genetic issues you could have prevented. health testing is slowly making its way towards more breeders.

you have to be breeding show/pet/ working quality dogs to be a reputable breeder, otherwise you aren’t bettering the breeds at all.

what does a labrodoodle have as a purpose?
a pomsky?
that’s my two sense, i’m not being harsh either. it’s actually a fun topic to discus and it’s been brought up a few times. welcome to the site!


Don't worry; you didn't seem harsh at all.

See, my thinking is that most dogs simply don't serve a purpose beyond companionship anymore, so unless you actually want a golden retriever, for example, with a more specific temperament and appearance for retrieving downed birds, then it doesn't really matter to most people if their dog fits the standard exactly, has disqualifying traits in the show ring or even has a standard or purpose at all. Maybe some people want a pomsky, schnoodle or whatever, and don't care if they are a mutt or not. I'm not actually getting a designer dog; I'm getting a chihuahua, but I used my breeder as an example all the same because I know most people would still consider them a BYB.

PerpetualMints
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Birb » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:26 am

    Not doing health testing is the number one marker of a BYBer. A health contract is useless if you have no idea what problems will come up. And even having some seemingly healthy litters is not a guarantee, many genetic health problems do not show up until later in life. With how easy it is nowadays to get testing done, there is no reason to not get it done, no reason at all except being lazy, stingy, or uneducated, none of which are good for a breeder.
User avatar
Birb
 
Posts: 6785
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:15 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby y o u t h. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:01 am

Image

I've had to order a muzzle for Odin,
he's getting pretty bad with his biting.

Any tips on how to stop that?
It's not intentional,
he think's it's a game but i've got
cuts and bruises all up my arms because of it.
Image


❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
ᕼᗴᒪᒪᗝ~


you
may
call
me
juno.


ᵖʳᵒᶰᵒᵘᶰˢ ᵃʳᵉ ᵃᶰʸᵗʰᶤᶰᵍ...ᵍᵒ ᶜʳᵃᶻʸ
❤ ❤ ❤ ❤
User avatar
y o u t h.
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:31 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby Cardinal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 am

PerpetualMints wrote:
eleutheromania wrote:i can not stand designer breeds. there is no true standard for the breed and it is mainly for marketing. they weren’t bred for a purpose they were bred for a fad. they are mutts due to the fact that they aren’t bred for a purpose and there is no real standard.

anyone can register their dog with CKC and contracts don’t do anything unless the breeder takes it to civil court. also neutering and spaying any large breed that early can harm their growth. that being said CKC is not really a reputable registry. they also cannot sell without breeding rights unless not giving papers but then you could register the dog anyway. along with the contracts, a dog is considered property and thus once money exchanges hands, there is really nothing a breeder can do unless they spend more money taking you to civil court. has happened to plenty of dachshund breeders in the group i’m in. you have that one person that breeds a dog that shouldn’t be bred.

a breeder should meet the standard of the breed for show or working quality, not because they are cute. that’s how i see it. health testing is to help prevent any genetic diseases a dog could have and it is beneficial. why not try and prevent genetic isssues if you can seeing as you’re responsible when you breed two dogs have a puppy comes out with genetic issues you could have prevented. health testing is slowly making its way towards more breeders.

you have to be breeding show/pet/ working quality dogs to be a reputable breeder, otherwise you aren’t bettering the breeds at all.

what does a labrodoodle have as a purpose?
a pomsky?
that’s my two sense, i’m not being harsh either. it’s actually a fun topic to discus and it’s been brought up a few times. welcome to the site!


Don't worry; you didn't seem harsh at all.

See, my thinking is that most dogs simply don't serve a purpose beyond companionship anymore, so unless you actually want a golden retriever, for example, with a more specific temperament and appearance for retrieving downed birds, then it doesn't really matter to most people if their dog fits the standard exactly, has disqualifying traits in the show ring or even has a standard or purpose at all. Maybe some people want a pomsky, schnoodle or whatever, and don't care if they are a mutt or not. I'm not actually getting a designer dog; I'm getting a chihuahua, but I used my breeder as an example all the same because I know most people would still consider them a BYB.



There will always be pet quality dogs in every litter, even those breeding for show or work. Purpose breeding is incredibly important, even for just pets. A purebred dog comes with certain expectations; doberman are typically same sex aggressive, terriers have high prey drive, herding breeds are intelligent, etc. Yes, there are deviations from the norm but you generally have a very good idea of what to expect temperment wise. Not to mention that being able to perform, both in the show ring and sporting events, shows a level of stability under pressure and a sound temperment.. which I'd assume most peopke want.

A breeder should be looking at their dogs objectively and letting a third party judge their dogs. A dog should be physically sound, this is where adhereing to the breed standard comes into play. The vast majority of standards are set to produce a dog sound of body (yes, yes, extremes exsist in a fraction of breeds). A body that is not sound breaks down much faster. Flat feet, sway backs, forward shoulders, straight stifles, to much turn in the hock, swan necks, pigeon chests... the list goes on. Some of these do appear, moderately, in well bred dogs, but should never be purposely bred towards and the goal should be choosing complementary traits... and a breeder should be very honest about the faults. A high reared, cow hocked, splay footed, straight fronted dog will generally have more orthopedic issues than a good front, nice legs, and solid topline.. I have the first, shes a trainwreck with bad arthritis (started around 6) and has never been an exceedingly active dog lol.


Theres also just... no reason not to health test.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Image
User avatar
Cardinal
 
Posts: 5003
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 4:18 pm
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby halogen. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 am

eleutheromania wrote:i can not stand designer breeds. there is no true standard for the breed and it is mainly for marketing. they weren’t bred for a purpose they were bred for a fad. they are mutts due to the fact that they aren’t bred for a purpose and there is no real standard.

anyone can register their dog with CKC and contracts don’t do anything unless the breeder takes it to civil court. also neutering and spaying any large breed that early can harm their growth. that being said CKC is not really a reputable registry. they also cannot sell without breeding rights unless not giving papers but then you could register the dog anyway. along with the contracts, a dog is considered property and thus once money exchanges hands, there is really nothing a breeder can do unless they spend more money taking you to civil court. has happened to plenty of dachshund breeders in the group i’m in. you have that one person that breeds a dog that shouldn’t be bred.

a breeder should meet the standard of the breed for show or working quality, not because they are cute. that’s how i see it. health testing is to help prevent any genetic diseases a dog could have and it is beneficial. why not try and prevent genetic isssues if you can seeing as you’re responsible when you breed two dogs have a puppy comes out with genetic issues you could have prevented. health testing is slowly making its way towards more breeders.

you have to be breeding show/pet/ working quality dogs to be a reputable breeder, otherwise you aren’t bettering the breeds at all.

what does a labrodoodle have as a purpose?
a pomsky?
that’s my two sense, i’m not being harsh either. it’s actually a fun topic to discus and it’s been brought up a few times. welcome to the site!


Lol, I really hate when people try to boast that their dog is registered and then I see CKC. All it takes is $50, nothing special there.
The doodle fad is my most hated. Just came upon an ad for goldendoodle puppies, $1300 and don't forget that they have no shots, deworming done, and definitely no health testing. Parents aren't registered and have neither show nor work titles.
I guess labradoodles had a purpose as they were bred to be service dogs in the first place. Would have been a great thing had it not created such a vicious cycle. Besides that have I ever met a tempermentally sound doodle: nope.

I prefer purebreds myself, mixed breeds are too much of a wildcard. I don't have the time nor the patience for unexpected genetic defects and issues.
My pretty pups-
Image Image
thank you so much peachy days<33
User avatar
halogen.
 
Posts: 2499
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 10:07 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby PerpetualMints » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 am

Of course there's no reason not to health test, but there's no huge reason to do it, either, unless maybe the dogs you're dealing with are horribly inbred or happen to be one of the breeds more plagued by health problems.

You can't health test away all your problems, we only have tests for a small portion of the illnesses dogs are afflicted by, for one, and dogs have existed for THOUSANDS of years without health testing. So, why of all a sudden is it so needed? Because we're trying to health test for the very problems we created? I don't get it - a lot of working dog breeders don't health test, either. At least not around here. This is very common for LGDs; you can buy working bred ones fairly cheaply on classifieds where I live for around $300-500 and they've been raised around stock and so on. I could be wrong, I'm not denying that. But I've been surrounded by "poorly bred" dogs all my life and not one has had any health problems except for a lhasa apso my grandmother had who ended up with testicular cancer.

I didn't know about the contracts, but considering all of my past dogs have been mutts from oops litters or, in the case of one, a puppy that somebody impulse bought and later got bored of, I thought I was doing pretty good with the breeder I chose since they actually seemed to care for their dogs. I've never owned a purebred dog, or really anything, before.
PerpetualMints
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 am
My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Return to Animal Chatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LeiaWolfe and 2 guests