Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby eleutheromania » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:02 am

so unfortunately couldn’t get pictures of the two dachshunds together. my friend said he can’t be picked up much and he’s swollen and constipated. they have meds for him but he’s just going downhill from what she said. did get some photos of loki. i’ll post those later on. gonna break mileage limit rules to go home again this weekend since my birthday is tomorrow. also, new house! mom moved into a house with hardwood and a fenced yard. talk about awesome. also, the lady who has piper, the beagle we had cannot take care of her financial and no one wants her because she’s not a puppy. mom can’t take her and i’m just bummed out no one wants a fully trained spayed dog.
eleutheromania

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 pm

halogen. wrote:
maninkari wrote:@.Middy., Oh no! Hope you find a good breeder soon!

My mom freaked out over JJ being pregnant today. JJ hasn't been in heat for months, and if she did get pregnant during her last heat I'm pretty sure she'd have given birth by now lol. It's cause she's got dog boobs. Doobs.

Omg, I feel you! For some reason after her first heat, Spade's nips got big. Like pregnant dog size, so my SO kept asking if one of the stray dogs got to her. But nah, no puppos for Spade, not anytime soon anyways.

I've heard that unspayed (And sometimes spayed) females can sometimes get a false pregnancy. It's called pseudopregnancy. And enlarged teats are a symptom. It usually happens a month or two after their heat, and is thought to be due to a hormonal imbalance.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:39 pm

RebelliousWinter wrote:
halogen. wrote:

My mom freaked out over JJ being pregnant today. JJ hasn't been in heat for months, and if she did get pregnant during her last heat I'm pretty sure she'd have given birth by now lol. It's cause she's got dog boobs. Doobs.

Omg, I feel you! For some reason after her first heat, Spade's nips got big. Like pregnant dog size, so my SO kept asking if one of the stray dogs got to her. But nah, no puppos for Spade, not anytime soon anyways.

I've heard that unspayed (And sometimes spayed) females can sometimes get a false pregnancy. It's called pseudopregnancy. And enlarged teats are a symptom. It usually happens a month or two after their heat, and is thought to be due to a hormonal imbalance.

I've seen dogs with that and it looks like a pain in the ass to deal with. JJ's getting spayed soon when she's 19 months, time went by so fast. I was gonna wait a few more months just for good measure, but her dog aggression is so difficult to manage when she's in heat. I can't snap her out of fixation like I can when she's not in heat, and dogs existing in her line of sight is enough to irritate her lol.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:18 pm

maninkari wrote:
RebelliousWinter wrote:

I've seen dogs with that and it looks like a pain in the ass to deal with. JJ's getting spayed soon when she's 19 months, time went by so fast. I was gonna wait a few more months just for good measure, but her dog aggression is so difficult to manage when she's in heat. I can't snap her out of fixation like I can when she's not in heat, and dogs existing in her line of sight is enough to irritate her lol.

LOL, sounds like some girls I know on their period. They get right nasty. xD

I'm curious on the subject: Why have you decided to wait so long to spay JJ? (not bashing, not hating, just curious)
    Most people suggest you get it done as soon as possible at around 6 months of age, before that first heat.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks, I hope so too! My friend will be breeding her border collie around September, so I do have a backup if I can’t find one that fits my ideal timeline better. (Totally love her girl, the timing is a bit later than I’d like and I don’t think she will throw my ideal look, so still looking but I would not be upset at all if I ended up with a mini Coreas lol)

As for not spaying, recent research has shown leaving the hormones until atleast 18 months is very benefital to the dog. You want their growth plates to close before altering the dog ideally.

Kes is over 2 now and I still haven’t spayed her haha
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby juicebox! » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:53 pm

kelpie x border collie mix as a service dog. thoughts?
juicebox!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby IcedAntimony » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:16 pm

schistad; wrote:
    kelpie x border collie mix as a service dog. thoughts?

Considering that kelpies and border collies are both very intelligent breeds, the right training would probably make a great service dog. The biggest issue I can see is that they are both very high energy dogs, but that's not a problem if it has an energy outlet.
I'm back, but I won't be able to be as active as before.
IcedAntimony

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:22 pm

@RebelliousWinter

Nah, no false pregnancies here. Not with Spade anyways, Vashti is 16 years old and she still has heats and deals with false heats almost every single one she has. She even produces 'milk'.

I asked my vet about Spade getting..bigger there after her first heat and and she laughed and told me not to worry. Vet said some dogs get bigger nips and some stay really small, unoticable until they have puppies.

☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cardinal » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:46 am

Sardonyx is on day 5 of her heat and Sentry is being a gross male dog. Just... get your nose out of her diaper and stop drooling everywhere. I already cant wait for it to be over, crating and rotate is annoying. Im sure him being gross will only get worse, atleast he calls off really easy. After this heat she'll be 2 and we'll book a spay appointment.

Inb4- they are not left unsurpervised alone. No puppies. Ever.
Honey, it's in the stars
And you're my everything from here to Mars
And every word I say I truly mean
Dear darling, I hope I'm being clear
'Cause there's no one like you on earth
That can be my universe

Cardinal

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:13 am

maninkari wrote:
RebelliousWinter wrote:
halogen. wrote:

My dog, Sheaba, recently had a false pregnancy. It wasn't too bad after we got over the initial week and a half of it. She started treating Skai's football like a puppy and I took it away. A week after it was gone, she settled down. It's been atleast three weeks and she is back to normal now.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups