Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby bloodredsheep » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Fine with breeding for work or sporting mixes when done correctly. I’m fine with doodles as long as they are responsibly bred I have no issues with them. I think it’s fine to breed for nice pet quality family dogs - Purposely bred pets. Doodles aren’t my cup of tea though so I would never buy one. Pretty much to me it’s ok to breed mixes as long as they are bred responsibly.
fine with skipping health testing it’s ok but shouldn’t be done to often.
bloodredsheep

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BananaBean » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 pm

^ i agree. if they are bred responsibly i think its all good.
BananaBean

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 pm

Lmarani wrote:^ i agree. if they are bred responsibly i think its all good.

The thing is the very act of breeding for the purpose of making pets is irresponsible. Most all breeder who breed for show/work have pet quality puppies anyway. And there is over a million of pet quality dogs euthanized every year in the US alone. Breeding the same quality of dog that is found in shelters/rescues in danger of being killed solely for over population is irresponsible.

rose.bloom wrote:Just thought I'd pop in here.
I own two goldendoodles one standard and one mini, Gretta and Dazey, and my family that lives very near us have two others, Pippa and Leo (a standard and a mini). Sorry to say but from a doodle owner, you all do sound very harsh. Our dogs were all purchased at the very start of the doodle craze from a very good breeder who we visited to look at her facility. It was beautiful and set on a large ranch. All them were vaccinated and dewormed. Doodles were not originally bred for a purpose, yes, it was an accident really, but so were other breeds. Goldendoodles are now bred for companionship and their wonderful temperament, and if that's not a good enough reason I don't know what is. I would recommend doodles to every person I meet, souly because most people nowadays aren't looking for show dogs, they are looking for good-natured, child friendly, loving dogs. And hey, they are also super cute and come in a couple colors and coat varieties. The fact that you all basically classify all "designer" dogs as backyard bred mutts is almost naive in my opinion when I can list many, many reputable doodle breeders. All of my four doodles are "temperamentally sound," and this can be backed up by my dads side of the family who have been GSD breeders for over 20 years, and when met Gretta (my dog) got two golden doodles of their own, Pippa and Leo.

Doodles were actually bred for a purpose, being guide dogs for those whom had or lived with someone who were allergic to dogs. They failed at this purpose and the man who started breeding them regrets doing so.

All the good qualities you described can be found in many purebreds who've been responsibly bred or in dogs found in shelters and rescues. In my opinion there is no responsible breeder breeding only pet quality purebreds dogs let alone mixes. Responsible breeders will have pet quality dogs available anyway, breeding sole to make pets when millions of perfectly good pets are killed in shelters every year (this is only in the US and will be higher worldwide) is pointless and selfish)

No responsible breeder would give a dog to someone breeding mixes, the foundations stocks came from BYBs and are being bred by BYBs. If you want a doodle why not rescue one? They're the same quality, with a lower price tag.

Calling "designer" dogs BYB mutts isn't naïve, it's factual. The only reason these dogs were crossed (barring the initial experiment) is to get in on a fad and make a buck. I don't care how many acres the property is or how much they claim to "love" them, that doesn’t make them responsible. They are out to make money, or for their own selfish enjoyment. The offer nothing that you can’t find from a responsible breeder breeding purebred of from a dog in a shelter or rescue.

That is not to say that your dogs are not temperamentally sound, you can get mixes from shelters/rescue that are temperamentally sound and even have great health, but that only means they got lucky, not that they were responsibly bred.

Please note that I'm not bashing your dogs, I'm sure they are loving pets, and I hope that they have and continue to have good health. I, and others, are merely trying to educate buyers on what a responsible breed is and it is not someone breeding pets or “hypoallergenic” dogs . If you want a mutt for a pet go to a shelter/rescue and save a life, don't contribute to BYBs and the overpopulation of dogs.

I've been there, uneducated and obtained a pet from a breeder I probably shouldn't have. Although I don't regret the pet because I loved him I regret how stupid a thing it was for me to do and how detrimental it likely was not only to my own pet who suffered health problems but to all the others who were born before and after him. The best I can do now is to educate myself and others on the dangers and not to make that same mistake again.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Resources

Postby rainbowwrowell » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Guys! As you all know this thread is reaching 900 pages. I have remade the thread now!! Please click the link below and continue there!

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3694619
he/they/it
rainbowwrowell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:21 am

Imzadi83 wrote:
Lmarani wrote:^ i agree. if they are bred responsibly i think its all good.

The thing is the very act of breeding for the purpose of making pets is irresponsible. Most all breeder who breed for show/work have pet quality puppies anyway. And there is over a million of pet quality dogs euthanized every year in the US alone. Breeding the same quality of dog that is found in shelters/rescues in danger of being killed solely for over population is irresponsible.

Actually, that is not true. Skai is a BYB dog and has serious aggression issues involving food and, honestly, when you are getting a BYB dog or shelter dog, you don't know what you are getting. At least with a well-bred breeder dog, you know what you are getting. Around here, we don't have too many breeders but I have been around well-bred breeder-dog Labradors and they are much, much, much better than any BYB or shelter dog we have had. So, no. It is not the same quality. Your statement is the equivalent of saying that some factory-made fake-wood chair is the same quality as an Amish-made real, solid wood chair.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups