Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby minimire » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:20 pm

hey guys just a quick question here.

should my nine year old shih tzu keep jumping up and down my 50cm bed? like is it good for him at his age?

thanks!

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 pm

wildlife. wrote:
    hey guys just a quick question here.
    should my nine year old shih tzu keep jumping up and down my 50cm bed? like is it good for him at his age?
    thanks!

no it is not so good...you also dont let a dog run on the bike at this age...or jump things to much, and i think small dogs should not jump down bed ....(Young dogs and old dogs should be given a bit more care and when some stairs or pet ramp help why not^^)
look for some dog stairs (this portable ones, this you can put at your bed...or wherever you dogs likes to get up)

@ Haagen-Daagen
dont give up,....it sound bad ...bad does not need to be so bad...get a second vet or go to clinic for full check... look for a vet or clinic who knows and works with this, or natural medication....maybe they ca help bether than a normal vet...or it is not so bad, or with the right treatment he could live some more years...
....and even when really not...just be with your dog, he needs you and your familys love now even more then ever, try a harness that does not touch the throat not collar..
wish you good luck, hope you tell how i goes!
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bowi » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 am

I have a tricolor Border collie blue merle and a french mastiff x Old english bulldog.

I am just teaching the border collie 'touch training' Meaning he will do tricks according to touches around the body,

Until now i have teached him that one tap on the shoulder is sit,

Two taps on the shoulder is lie down,
And to lead your hand over his head to his chin is "walk with," or come "come with"

He's deaf..
Anyone have any tips on teaching him these tactics? He already knows hand signs.
Kinda struggling with him, And 'clickers' don't work that well with deaf dogs.
I can feel it in the earth,
smell it in the air,
the world is different.

'Why do I get them- Why do they get me?'
    "It's our magic, it tethers us to them, our arcanum is shared."
    'I don't like them'
    "They aren't like us."
    'I'm scared, keep them away? just for the night.'
    "Always, Moonlight."
Bowi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:40 am

halogen. wrote:@Imzadi

That's why I put 'That's just how I did it.' in my response. Scolding worked for me, it helped Spade undertand that she did something wrong,
and I only scolded right after she had went, not 5 minutes or later after.

And my dog was potty trained in a week so...
My bond with Spade is very strong and wasn't 'damaged' by this. Its a dog, not a child, scolding isn't going to 'hurt their feelings' or whatever.

I wouldn't bash people's training methods, if its humane and works for you and your dog, then ok,
no need to critize.

I'm glad that you and your dog are having success, but when this method has caused problems for multiple dogs and their owners then there is need to "criticize" and warn people of the dangers so that they can make and informed decision.

I understand that a dog is not a child, you can explain verbally to a child why they are being scolded and they can communicate that they understand that, a dog cannot.

RWBY Rose wrote:I've heard pads have a scent that makes them want to go like their pee does so I just stopped using them. Wouldn't that work against what I'm trying to do? I'll try keeping her next to me to supervise her closer but don't know if that will work out. She likes to be near me but she also likes to self play with her toys... she might get annoyed by being near me all day on a leash. I already spend so much time playing, training, and short walks throughout the day. :"D

Oh and she isn't confined to the hall btw, she has her own room. We use the hallway like a play pen. Plus we can see her better from the hallway...though she likes going in the one corner that's harder to see her in. I let her in her room for play and training sessions after pottying when she's least likely to have to go. We eventually want to give her free reign of the whole apartment, we're just introducing her to new rooms slowly.

Some pads do have sent on them to attract a dog to pee there but most do not. As long as you're moving towards your goal using pads isn't detrimental. If she likes going in one corner then put something else in that corner (bed, water dish) to start to teach her that that area is not a potty.

The fact that she's always going in the same spot makes me think that she is having problems communicating when she has to go. If that is the case I would recommend working on getting her to tell you when she has to potty, (try the bells) and try to pay more attention and learn her signals.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 am

Haagen-Daagen wrote:Spike has lymphoma. According to the vet, even with the treatment they can offer he would probably not make it to the end of the year. This just sprang out of nowhere, like literally within the last week and a half. He's lost weight and has a mass on this throat that is making him a bit sensitive to touch. He doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort right now, thank goodness, but it has already progressed a lot in such little time. This is really not the news we wanted..It is especially rough on my dad, who has been working with him as his partner for six years now. :'( Spike is only eight. We were all looking forward to him retiring into the life of a family dog so we could have more freedom to take him on adventures. He loves riding in the truck. He has progressed so much with his reactivity and become such a great contribution to the family. Eva adores him, and he is actually willing to play with her and Deebee these days. Things were going awesome. Now suddenly, we're told he probably has a few months left. We are shattered.

I am so deeply sorry for you and your family. We lost Gumdrop to lymphoma, though with the prednisone her vet prescribed she lasted four months longer then the vet thought she would. It comes up so fast, I know it's like getting hit by a truck. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about it. Enjoy Spike while you have him, he doesn't know what's going on and can still enjoy life.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby K0Z1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:04 am

Okay so pur doggo, Luke is going to be 6 in less then a mouth and with age he has been getting slower and not eating as much, he often let's his food in his bowl but still begs for it even if its still there.He sleeps most of the day while me and my sister do school and won't behave on walks.We haven't changed his food and have been feeding him pedigree dog food for awhile....He was to the vet back in early August and was only 10 pounds over weight..... He rarely gotten human food, as he usually has to steal it off our counter or wait for a grandparents to baby sit him or come over for dinner.....And he hasn't been to active.....I noticed this change starting before labor day....And my parents keep saying he will be just fine...but I am worried bout him...

Also
@Haagen-Daagen
I am so sorry to here that, that is awful...I lost 2 dogs very close to me in the past and I know how terrible it can be....I feel so bad for you
The following user has left this site for the most part. They do not enjoy the site like they used to and wish everyone well. I will be on every so often, but I no longer seek what this place has to offer. If you seek to contact me my discord is: henri#0005
K0Z1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:51 am

FearlessOfFate wrote:Okay so pur doggo, Luke is going to be 6 in less then a mouth and with age he has been getting slower and not eating as much, he often let's his food in his bowl but still begs for it even if its still there.He sleeps most of the day while me and my sister do school and won't behave on walks.We haven't changed his food and have been feeding him pedigree dog food for awhile....He was to the vet back in early August and was only 10 pounds over weight..... He rarely gotten human food, as he usually has to steal it off our counter or wait for a grandparents to baby sit him or come over for dinner.....And he hasn't been to active.....I noticed this change starting before labor day....And my parents keep saying he will be just fine...but I am worried bout him...

It sounds like he needs to go back to the vet. There could be something medical going on here that needs to be addressed. Being overweight as well can cause problems. Pedigree isn't a very good quality food, it might be helpful to consider switching him to a higher quality food.
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 am

I am happy, old grumpy terror Vashti approves of Cooper lol. Luckily he stopped his almost obsessive sniffing of her privates so she's not so wary of him anymore. Vashti isn't all that much for other dog companionship, but she doesn't mind him coming to lie down next to her. Usually the kitchen is 'Vashti's', she very rarely lets other dogs in the kitchen and dining area, she snaps at Xeno or Spade as soon as they step in there. So, you can imagine my surprise when Cooper goes to lie down under one of the dining room tables and she just looked at him before continuing her nap lol.

'i donut liek that cooper dog, get rid of him pls'

Had Spadey in the house while SO was setting up her heated dog house and cleaning up her chain spot and she was NOT happy that my bed smelled very strongly of Cooper haha. He had to be crated while she was out and so did Xeno, since she was fine with him but now she's getting kind of testy with him and I don't want a fight. For some reason she never ever gets aggressive around Vashti, maybe its a respect thing I don't know.

Ahh, my baby got so big, I want to cryy. I remember going to pick her up and she was the last puppy left and she was so happy to see me. She'll be 11 months in October, almost full grown physically, mentally she is still very much a puppy haha.

☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:04 am

I gave Lilly her first bath in months because the weather has been nice and it's rather dry out so she can run off her Post-bathtime zoomies outside.

She tried to get out of the tub multiple times, then gave up and started listening to me and my brother as we cleaned her.
Overall, she was a good girl and started sitting under the stream of water.
We got her out of the tub and she tried to run for it, only to run into a door she can't push open with her nose.
Towel dried her, put her out for about 5-10 minutes, and bam, she's dry.

My mom, "This only confirms she has lab in her" as the water in the bath is just rolling off of her and refusing to get soaked into her coat. I was really surprised to see exactly how much water and shampoo her coat held when rinse time came.

Now... to brush her teeth...
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 am

hey guys! lucky is doing so well in his training.
ive been wanting to train platz (down in german) but he already knows "down" so could platz be like down and to immediately "head down" ?? it probably doesnt even make sense to use two different commands for the same behavior :roll: can/should you even use two commands?
--★--
────────- -────────
- shadow - she/her -
hi! my name is shadow &
i am a dog enthusiast &
writer! artist, roleplayer.
pms open!!
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery