Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby gummyspoon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:13 pm

My dog is pretty cool. He's just.. really, really clingy. If you stop petting him he'll glare at you, put his muzzle on your arm, and never get off your lap. He'll bark when he's hungry too.
I mean, he's adorable though.
yo yo yo
gummyspoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:25 pm

gummyspoon wrote:My dog is pretty cool. He's just.. really, really clingy. If you stop petting him he'll glare at you, put his muzzle on your arm, and never get off your lap. He'll bark when he's hungry too.
I mean, he's adorable though.

LOL. Chloe whines when she's hungry.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minimire » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:06 pm

halogen. wrote:
wildlife. wrote:
    hey guys!

any tips on how to keep your small dog from jumping up and down, especially since he's 9 years old?

and any tips on stopping them from licking their paws? he would often lick his two front paws and they would become very wet,
    moreover he has long hair

thank you in advance!

When he jumps up, I'm guessing you're not completely ignoring him? Even if its a 'no' or 'stop', that may be encouraging him. When he jumps, COMPLETELY ignore him, no looking,
touching, speaking, not even a nudge away if he gets annoying. Simple move away and start doing something else and eventually he will learn that jumping up gets him nowhere.

As for the paw licking, that's normal, there really isn't a way to stop them from grooming. If their paws are just getting wet from licking that's fine,
if its like compulsive licking and he has balding spots and such, then its a problem.

but he jumps on the bed since he sleeps on my bed. Sorry I Guess I should have made that clearer. Is there any way I can make my dog not jump down? Like a way for him to wait for me to carry him down?

minimire

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 pm

wildlife. wrote:
halogen. wrote:
wildlife. wrote:
    hey guys!

any tips on how to keep your small dog from jumping up and down, especially since he's 9 years old?

and any tips on stopping them from licking their paws? he would often lick his two front paws and they would become very wet,
    moreover he has long hair

thank you in advance!

When he jumps up, I'm guessing you're not completely ignoring him? Even if its a 'no' or 'stop', that may be encouraging him. When he jumps, COMPLETELY ignore him, no looking,
touching, speaking, not even a nudge away if he gets annoying. Simple move away and start doing something else and eventually he will learn that jumping up gets him nowhere.

As for the paw licking, that's normal, there really isn't a way to stop them from grooming. If their paws are just getting wet from licking that's fine,
if its like compulsive licking and he has balding spots and such, then its a problem.

but he jumps on the bed since he sleeps on my bed. Sorry I Guess I should have made that clearer. Is there any way I can make my dog not jump down? Like a way for him to wait for me to carry him down?

You could train a wait behavior, but I wouldn't leave him alone on the bed or alone in the room if you can help it. If he isn't keen on being carried in the first place I'd also suggest on training that as well. If you can get him steps and train him to use them that would probably be the most helpful.
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby taurus ; » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:21 pm

Yup, I recommend doggie stairs!! I have a very old dog and while Vashti doesn't have arthritis, joint paint, etc. she is just a small little 14lbs dog and my bed is kind of high up, so her injuring a leg or even multiple legs is a very realistic possibility.

Teaching her to go up the stirs was a piece of cakeeee....teaching her to go down them...not so much. I had to buy two little stairs bc the first ones were too steep and she refused to go down them lol. Now she goes up and down the new doggie stairs with no problem.
☆ kenya|she/her|istj|adult player
(simply vibing, that's it <3)
taurus ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Flossie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:27 am

What do you guys think about this debate? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnxelBjWDU (skip to around the 2 minute mark)

I personally agree with Emma. I don’t think it’s right to be breeding brachycephalic dogs, when so many of them suffer. Heck, when a bulldog has puppies, a lot can’t even give birth naturally because of the size head the puppies have.
Flossie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LizzytheWolf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:38 am

So tired...we're a few hours from the tiny town this family lives in.
Dad's GPS sidetracked us twice but I think we'll get there with no trouble now. Mom stayed at home with Chess. Since we'll be in Japan for the next few months, I made arrangements with Diablo's trainer to do private classes with him every two days.
I have quit. Goodbye.
Profile pic is art of my GSD/Elkound mix, Justin. Credit to Kasezki on Deviantart.
LizzytheWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tea! » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:50 am

Flossie wrote:What do you guys think about this debate? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnxelBjWDU (skip to around the 2 minute mark)

I personally agree with Emma. I don’t think it’s right to be breeding brachycephalic dogs, when so many of them suffer. Heck, when a bulldog has puppies, a lot can’t even give birth naturally because of the size head the puppies have.

I have yet to watch that, but I agree with you. Breeding brachycephalic dogs is pretty sad :c .
    So many dogs suffer just because people think they're cute. I do appreciate people who are
    working towards elongating the noses of brachycephalic breeds.

art above by fiskko @ da

tea!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby maninkari » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:32 am

Flossie wrote:What do you guys think about this debate? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnxelBjWDU (skip to around the 2 minute mark)

I agree also. Sue has no real refutes to Emma's argument, and she only disagrees because she wants to think her dogs do not suffer from health problems. There's also that pause when she says "0", and she has a moment of regret after saying it, I'd bet $20 that she's lying.

I think breeding needs some regulations. Exotic bullies are a great example of irresponsible breeding, have you seen Mr. Miagi? People spend hundreds of thousands trying to replicate him and often end up with dogs even more deformed.
heck
maninkari

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:50 am

Lilly plopped in some sunlight.

I love her so much.
Even when she's in deep trouble.

ImageImage
ImageImage

She's come so far since we picked her up from the field next door.
Hard to believe it's been almost 6 months???

I'm going to save up whenever I get money and I'm going to buy myself a crate, or see if my mom can meet me halfway in buying one.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me