Dog Owner Chat v4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Dog Owner Chat v4

Postby leiawolfe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Question: Hey guys! I'm thinking of adopting another pup in the future (, maybe, say, 1-2 years time?)! I currently live with my family and my Nan's dog Houdi. He is a Spoodle/Cockerpoo (English Cocker Spaniel x Poodle), and he is almost 3 years old right now. When my nan's friend's dog comes to stay for a few days, my dog usually gets quite jealous of him, and vice versa, as in, they both think they get better food than each other, they get protective of their food around each other, so we have to separate their food bowls. My nan's friend's dog is obviously the boss of my dog, Houdi. He is 12 years old. Houdi is almost 3.

I am hoping that if I get a puppy, this won't happen? I've been studying dog breeds since I was very young (maybe 5 or 6 years old?). I have started to lean forwards towards the Cavalier King Charles, but could some experts here please list some dog breeds that are:

Suitable for families and good with children
Easy to train
Get along very well with other dogs and can live with them

Cuddly!
Friendly and loyal
Indoor dog
Moderate amount of exercise needed
Rarely aggressive
Good in hot climates

Thank you so much for any/all help! PM/POST PLEASE! :D
Last edited by leiawolfe on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowHunteress » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:33 pm

Narnian wrote:
    @LeiaWolfe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Shiba Inus tend to be stubborn and not good with other animals? From what I've read, it would be the opposite of what you want.

You are correct, Shibas don't get along well with other dogs unless raised with them, and even that's iffy, in our area we had a popularity boom of them, so I have seen more then most people ever see. The only pairs I have seen were a shiba and shiba pair and a shiba with a chi and yorkie companion. They are very smart and sassy dogs, and when they are set on something, they will do it.

Also, you describe resource guarding with you dog when he eats, which will always be a problem with any dog unless you work on it.
Check out Lorwolf! Use my referral code to get the chance for a companion!
https://www.lorwolf.com/Refer/11524
ShadowHunteress

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:51 pm

MiniTaxiderMiss wrote:
Narnian wrote:
    @LeiaWolfe

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Shiba Inus tend to be stubborn and not good with other animals? From what I've read, it would be the opposite of what you want.

You are correct, Shibas don't get along well with other dogs unless raised with them, and even that's iffy, in our area we had a popularity boom of them, so I have seen more then most people ever see. The only pairs I have seen were a shiba and shiba pair and a shiba with a chi and yorkie companion. They are very smart and sassy dogs, and when they are set on something, they will do it.

Also, you describe resource guarding with you dog when he eats, which will always be a problem with any dog unless you work on it.

Thanks! My dog is also getting better with eating around other dogs. I also actually do agree that maybe Shibas aren't a good choice, as I also have a budgie in my house, too.
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:55 pm

LeiaWolfe wrote:Question: Hey guys! I'm thinking of adopting another pup in the future (, maybe, say, 1-2 years time?)! I currently live with my family and my Nan's dog Houdi. He is a Spoodle/Cockerpoo (English Cocker Spaniel x Poodle), and he is almost 3 years old right now. When my nan's friend's dog comes to stay for a few days, my dog usually gets quite jealous of him, and vice versa, as in, they both think they get better food than each other, they get protective of their food around each other, so we have to separate their food bowls. My nan's friend's dog is obviously the boss of my dog, Houdi. He is 12 years old. Houdi is almost 3.

I am hoping that if I get a puppy, this won't happen? I've been studying dog breeds since I was very young (maybe 5 or 6 years old?). I have started to lean forwards towards the Cavalier King Charles, but could some experts here please list some dog breeds that are:

Suitable for families and good with children
Easy to train
Get along very well with other dogs and can live with them

Cuddly!
Friendly and loyal
Indoor dog
Moderate amount of exercise needed
Rarely aggressive
Good in hot climates

Thank you so much for any/all help! PM/POST PLEASE! :D

Maybe Shiba's aren't the best choice after all..
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby acura, » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:15 pm

My friends and I found a stray dog today, we locked 2 of my friends outside, then found a dog walking down the road, it nearly got hit by a garbage bus coming by! I will share a photo of the stray dog soon;
The dog was practically down to the bone, you could see the ribs of it.. it was such a nice dog.. he followed us for food, and hoped to get snacks. Sadly, the dog wasn't allowed in the house, I can understand why though, it could had have worms or something, or something bad. I'll share a couple photos of him soon, he was possibly maybe 10 years old, and maybe a chihuahua mix, felt really bad for him, wish I could have kept him! We tried calling RSPCA, but they weren't open..
███████
███████
███████
███████
let it all go let it all go let it all go let it all go
███████████████████▒▒
────────────────────────────────
┌───────────────────┐
hi! call me izzy or isabelle
i love art, weightlifting, gaming,
cars and motorcycles! my pronouns
are she / her. i love meeting
and talking to new people so
feel free to shoot over a msg!

└───────────────────┘
its called its called its called called
██████████████████████████

freefall freefall freefall freefall freefall freefall
th. comms. song. credit.──────────────
acura,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Imzadi83 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 pm

JinxedFate wrote:My dog loves getting his paws messaged xD

I'm envious, my dog hates having her paws touched. She loves having her neck massaged. She will sit on the bed with her front paws on the pet steps and whine and stare at me until I massage her neck.

Dog Food Recall - Blue Ridge Beef
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/blue-ridge-beef-pet-food-recall-january-2017/
Looking for a real life pet? http://www.petfinder.com Adopt a homeless Pet!
Give Food To Homeless Pets FREE & Freekibble
Imzadi83

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:40 pm

My dog has a small groove from his nose up to his forehead, and when I slowly run my finger up that, he statrs to close his eyes, ITS ADORABLE!!! XD
leah
australia
she/her
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ShadowHunteress » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:51 pm

LeiaWolfe wrote:My dog has a small groove from his nose up to his forehead, and when I slowly run my finger up that, he statrs to close his eyes, ITS ADORABLE!!! XD

All dogs do, it's where the two nasal bones meet (two long, flat bones that are connected to the main skull but aren't fused as tightly, google skulls to see what I mean better) it's the thing that makes me dislike halties because they are very fragile bones (compartively) and people misuse them a lot.
But it is a sweet spot for some dogs, it's cute!
Check out Lorwolf! Use my referral code to get the chance for a companion!
https://www.lorwolf.com/Refer/11524
ShadowHunteress

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby the machine » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:19 pm

hi
i hope you don't mind a random person like me getting into the conversations
but i just wanted to have a browse around the threads and found this thread sparked my interest
my family and i currently own a 5 year old pooch named Woodley. (he turned 5 today ^^)
he's an american staffy cross and he was a gift from a family friend.
we're not sure what my dog is cross with yet since his father was a rescue dog.
but we know his mother is defiantly a full breed american staffy.
since he's been a puppy, we noticed some behaviors that we're unsure if they are staffy or a differnt breed of dog
he likes to sniff around the backyard fence and annoy the other dog we have next door. once he gets that dog barking he runs around the yard. he also would randomly smell things and get into a stance that's similar to a pointer dog.
since pitbulls are restricted breeds in the state of Australia i live in, we once had someone come to our hose to make sure my dog was a staffy since people were registering pitbulls as staffies. she said their might be some kelpie in my dog based on looks.
i'm very curious, is it only pointers or dogs with pointer in them that make the pointer stance, or is it all dogs?
because i looked up possible mixes, and the only mix that looks very similar to my dog's father is staffyXkelpie and is mother is a pure breed staffy so, if only pointers or dogs with pointer in them make that stance, i have no idea where the pointer behavior is coming from in my dog.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi. i'm the machine. i use to be hetacutie12 but things are changing up a bit.
I live down under and love to roleplay. i don't bite so don't be scared to pm me
i love to draw and i love transformers, Precure, steven universe, vocaloid, Marvel,
Madoka Magica and other things
Slothicity and I are friends in real life and might trade unfairly to each other.
Please don't ban us <3

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
the machine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby shadow~wolf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:39 am

Maninkari wrote:When I wake up in the morning I say "good morning puppy butt" to JJ and pat her bum and it makes her the happiest dog in the world. I love how easy they are to please.

With Lucky I tell him "Hello Mister Dog"
and with Sage I say "Hey little animal"
I don't know why I just always call her "animal" or "the little one"

Edit: with Sally I called her
"Woofles"
or
"Sally o' Malley"
Last edited by shadow~wolf on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
--★--
────────- -────────
- shadow - she/her -
hi! my name is shadow &
i am a dog enthusiast &
writer! artist, roleplayer.
pms open!!
shadow~wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery