Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Comrade » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:56 am

I have 2 cats. My oldest cat just turned 25 in november and hes been deaf for 7 years. I love him to death, I really do, but he is super vocal and lately I've been finding him super annoying. The vet tells me deaf cats tend to be more vocal, but it depends on the cat. He has always ate a dry food diet, however for the past 3 years hes just been eating off of our plates solely. He still has teeth (all except 1) and is still fully capable of eating the dry diet. He just refuses to. He also refuses to eat wet cat food. I've probably tried every brand, flavor and texture.

Is there anyway I can get him to eat dry food again?

~ ☾ - she/her - usa - witch - ☽ ~

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 17 people.
I have received 5 gifts.
Comrade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Coffee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:45 am

ImageImage

Top: my cat, Ruby
Bottom: my brothers' cat, Joe

I love how you can tell their personalities from these pictures, lol.

Ruby is about 13 years old now and she's always been very vocal and particular. She spends her days lounging around and sleeping or following me around and meowing at me for some reason.

Joe is about 7 and he likes to sleep outside and roll around in the dirt. He's not too smart and he only has one working eye, but we love him anyway.

Both of them were sort of rescues? Ruby was an orphaned kitten who we got from Petco when a shelter was having an adoption event there. She was my 8th birthday present. We found Joe on the side of the road with a swollen eye and covered in fleas. He never really recovered from the eye but believe you me, he doesn't know the difference. ♥ They're also both outdoor-indoor kitties but they don't really go far.
    ╔═════════════════════════════════╗

Caro | Biology Student | lover of coffee

Currently trying to collect all deer- shoot
      me a trade!
    ╚═════════════════════════════════╝
    ImageImageImageImageImage
.Coffee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:05 am

I woke up today to see a text from my fiance saying his 20 year old cat has finally passed away.

It started with a "He jumped off of something and hurt himself." to he's just laying in a corner in the sun to, he's not eating or drinking at all.

This went on for about a week or two, progressively getting worse until he finally passed in his sleep last night around 2-3 in the morning when my fiance got back to his house.

Don't cry wolf unless you mean it.

Don't you know I'm still standing better
than I ever did

Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a
little kid

I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without
you on my mind

I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
I'm still standing yeah yeah yeah
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sov » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:25 pm

out of curiosity, does anyone else have experience with cats with cerebellar hypoplasia, particularly older cats? my kid mhysa has it, and though i'm used to it by now i'm just curious if older cats with the condition have any special needs or anything

characters
i'm mal and i like to eat popcorn like a lizard
fc: 0576-5935-8225

sov

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ricebunnies » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:55 pm

Comrade wrote:I have 2 cats. My oldest cat just turned 25 in november and hes been deaf for 7 years. I love him to death, I really do, but he is super vocal and lately I've been finding him super annoying. The vet tells me deaf cats tend to be more vocal, but it depends on the cat. He has always ate a dry food diet, however for the past 3 years hes just been eating off of our plates solely. He still has teeth (all except 1) and is still fully capable of eating the dry diet. He just refuses to. He also refuses to eat wet cat food. I've probably tried every brand, flavor and texture.

Is there anyway I can get him to eat dry food again?

well, i'm not a cat owner but, maybe he likes the foods on your plates more than those foods? i mean is it okay for him to eat off your plates? is the food on your plates unhealthy for him? because if it is, stop. but, however, try mixing the food on your plates with the dry food maybe?
thats what i do with my bunny.
ig: @ricebunnies
msg me for trades.
bunny owner
ricebunnies

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby friends dønt lie. » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:28 am

here, have some pictures of my kitten to bless your christmas eve
    x1x x2x x3x x4x
𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕙...

☁ ☁ ☁

she;her - 13+ - june 29th
hey there, i'm abby! if
you couldn't tell already, i'm
super obsessed with
stranger things. i also
love it, starbucks,
and pretty much anything
your basic teenage girl
would like. anyway, feel free
to pm me or something whenever,
xxxxx i'd love to chat! xxxxx

coding shop

𝕔𝕣𝕒𝕫𝕪 𝕥𝕠𝕘𝕖𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣
friends dønt lie.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deltas » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:08 am

Skysong wrote:I woke up today to see a text from my fiance saying his 20 year old cat has finally passed away.

It started with a "He jumped off of something and hurt himself." to he's just laying in a corner in the sun to, he's not eating or drinking at all.

This went on for about a week or two, progressively getting worse until he finally passed in his sleep last night around 2-3 in the morning when my fiance got back to his house.

i'm so sorry to hear that. losses in the family are always tough. i lost my cat of 10 years, star, at the very end of june and i'm still grieving. she passed in her sleep as well. they both went peacefully, and they're definitely in a better place where they wont be hurt anymore. but it's always sad.

still on the topic of star, but not as bad, i really want another cat. my two cats right now aren't very cuddly cats, and my cat star was extremely cuddly and loved me with her whole heart. i'm just afraid if i get another cat, i'll feel like i'm replacing star. but it's been six months so i feel like i should be over it by now. did anyone have the same experience?
deltas

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sov » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:55 am

deltas wrote:still on the topic of star, but not as bad, i really want another cat. my two cats right now aren't very cuddly cats, and my cat star was extremely cuddly and loved me with her whole heart. i'm just afraid if i get another cat, i'll feel like i'm replacing star. but it's been six months so i feel like i should be over it by now. did anyone have the same experience?

i've gone through this multiple times, i've had 12 cats over the span of my childhood and each time they passed i felt something similar. however, just know you aren't replacing them at all, if the cat meant something to you (which obviously it did, otherwise you wouldn't feel torn over it) they can never be truly replaced.
and don't worry about "getting over it", it can take as long or short a time as you need and there's no reason to think you have to be past them by a certain point. whenever you feel ready i'd say go for it, you aren't replacing your old cat, just welcoming in a new one!

characters
i'm mal and i like to eat popcorn like a lizard
fc: 0576-5935-8225

sov

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Strength » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:02 pm

I recently adopted a cat 2 days ago for the holiday (7 months old), her name is Jade and I already have a 7 year old cat named Jasmyn. Jade is still a little nervous, she's been hiding in this small cat jungle lately. She's okay with me petting her but she's terrified if I grab her and she hasn't come out of the cat jungle thing unless I'm sleeping. Anything I can do to make her get used to it? I've kept her in my bedroom, separated from my other cat (who has never met another cat before) so she doesn't stress out.

Merry Christmas!
I hope everyone has a good
holiday. If you need me,
don't be scared to let me know.

Busyyy busyyy, feel free to pm
B.A.Pglispa❤characters
Stan B.A.P

Strength

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Brynmala » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 pm

deltas wrote:still on the topic of star, but not as bad, i really want another cat. my two cats right now aren't very cuddly cats, and my cat star was extremely cuddly and loved me with her whole heart. i'm just afraid if i get another cat, i'll feel like i'm replacing star. but it's been six months so i feel like i should be over it by now. did anyone have the same experience?

In my adult life I've had 14 cats, three of them are still alive, and the rest have passed on over the space of 25 years or so (along with various dogs rabbits and horses). You can never ever replace an animal. You can however find space in your heart and home for a new one and that's not the same thing. But - and this is an important but - you shouldn't get another cat just because you want one, you also need to look at the happiness of your existing cats. Do they get on well, or just tolerate each other? if the latter then don't get another cat. Also you'll need to pick with some care to find a cat that will be happy living with others - it is quite a rare trait as cats aren't naturally good at sharing space with other cats who aren't either related, or been brought up with them.

Right now I'd love to have another cat, but I know the group dynamics would suffer if I got one. Two of mine are joined at the hip and the third is ok with them, but not that friendly. I don't want to upset the equilibrium. I once fostered a pair of cats for a friend of a friend. It was really obvious to me that they hated each other, and yet they'd been living together for 5 years and no one had noticed. Tia spent all her time outside to keep away from Purdy who was really horrible to her. Both were stressed. Eventually the friend took Tia home and left Purdy with me (10 years old, multiple allergies, heart murmur, 'lumpy' liver... just my sort of cat!) Tia turned into a couch potato overnight, and Purdy became a lovely friendly animal, not the hissy spitty cow she had been.

Some years after that I also had a Star - black with a tiny white spot on his chest. He had also been blind from birth, and he came to me when he was 16. I had him for 2 years and he became my soulmate. He was always there, always happy to chat, always wanted to be on top of anything - if he could get his front paws on it he'd jump onto it (he landed in the bin a couple of times!). He was pts because of kidney failure the day we also buried my cousin, and the same day a stray kitten turned up in the yard. We couldn't find her proper owners so she became my 'therapy kitten'. She'd have been 7 now if she hadn't got herself killed on the road a couple of years ago :(
Brynmala

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My dressups
Trade with me

Return to Animal Chatter