Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Raleigh. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 am

could anybody help me figure out what My Leo Is??
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G4wW ... t_id%253D1
┌─┐

└─┘
x
x
┌────────────┐

Used to Be Harlow.
Hello,
I'm just a sad
and lonley teenager
feel free to pm me!

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐
Kindness is wisdom

└────────────┘
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
Raleigh.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lepisma » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 am

Harlow. wrote:
could anybody help me figure out what My Leo Is??
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G4wW ... t_id%253D1

I’d call him a domestic shorthair, unless you know something about his lineage that says otherwise. It’s fairly uncommon to find a cat somewhere other than from a breeder that has a definitive breed.
Color-wise, he looks like a gray mackerel tabby. I’m guessing 5-7 months old? He’s a cutie!
Lepisma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Raleigh. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 am

Okay! Thank You!
He's 6 months Old <3
┌─┐

└─┘
x
x
┌────────────┐

Used to Be Harlow.
Hello,
I'm just a sad
and lonley teenager
feel free to pm me!

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐

└────────────┘
┌────────────┐
Kindness is wisdom

└────────────┘
┌─────────┐

Imagex

└─────────┘
Raleigh.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gh0stYeen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:00 am

Does anyone know how to convert a street cat to an inside cat?

I don't want my kitty going back outside. She got into a fight and she had some abscesses. She's better now, but we're taking her back to the vet for a checkup, maybe shots and she's gonna get spayed after her wounds heal. She's just too little to fight. She only weights 7 pounds while my male cat weights 11 (he did not attack her).

We did give her away but she came back to our house. The guy we gave her to only lived a block away lol! After she did that, we knew there was no way we could get rid of her.
Gh0stYeen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:41 am

Gh0stYeen wrote:
Does anyone know how to convert a street cat to an inside cat?

I don't want my kitty going back outside. She got into a fight and she had some abscesses. She's better now, but we're taking her back to the vet for a checkup, maybe shots and she's gonna get spayed after her wounds heal. She's just too little to fight. She only weights 7 pounds while my male cat weights 11 (he did not attack her).

We did give her away but she came back to our house. The guy we gave her to only lived a block away lol! After she did that, we knew there was no way we could get rid of her.

The main thing is providing enough stimulation and fun activities for her to do inside.
Since shes lived outside all of her life, you can imagine how most of her activities would be associated with that, so just find things she likes to do and replicate them inside. If she liked climbing, buy her one of those multi level cat trees, or build something similar by stacking cardboard boxes and cutting holes in them for her to navigate trough. Find out what kinds of toys she likes and get her those, play with her, tie the toys to high surfaces to make them dangle and make her want to reach or jump for them. And whenever you play with her, give her lots of treats so that she associates being inside with good feelings. A lot of cats love to watch birds, so you could try freeing up a window for her, or letting her outside on a balcony if you have one (but you should still watch her as she might jump or fall off from it), or even create a "cattio" for her, if your family has the money/space to do so.

And since it's likely she will still ask to be let outside, you could try leash training her. There's a lot of guides on how to do that online, so I wont get into details, but that might be something she could enjoy!
╔═════════════╗

Zan NB they/them
× × × × × × × × × ×
demiromantic asexual
atheist pantheist
Will do art for wl.

Check out my new art
shop!!

× × × × × × × × × ×
art pkmn gay

╚═════════════╝
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 365 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am

Can anybody help me with my kittens age? When we got him he was malnourished so it was hard to tell at that point. He is rather big and when I mean big, like giant. He is around 12 pounds and he still has some baby teeth left.
laying
burrito
laying on his back with his mouth open
a catastrophe▁▁

▁▁a masterpiece

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 pm

365 wrote:Can anybody help me with my kittens age? When we got him he was malnourished so it was hard to tell at that point. He is rather big and when I mean big, like giant. He is around 12 pounds and he still has some baby teeth left.
laying
burrito

It's a little hard to pin an age to cats once they grow out of kittenhood. From the first pic my first thought was around a year old. But that's just a literal guess haha. He just looks young in general to me so my oldest guess would be 2 for him at most.

Hm, in the teeth picture all I can really see are his canines and those look like adult teeth. They are very white and clean looking so he's definitely a young cat. The teeth in between the canines are pretty small, but they're also not very clear in the picture plus those teeth are always small even in adults. If he really does still have some baby teeth though then he's probably between 7 months and a year old. I'd lean towards 9 month to a year though since he seems to have grown into his adult size and weight. If you think he's still growing then he may be closer to the 7 month mark.
Random Cat Spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lepisma » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:43 pm

365 wrote:Can anybody help me with my kittens age? When we got him he was malnourished so it was hard to tell at that point. He is rather big and when I mean big, like giant. He is around 12 pounds and he still has some baby teeth left.
laying
burrito

Seconding what Lunarsnow has said, with one exception: deciduous incisors (the baby teeth in the front, between the canines) will all be replaced by their permanent counterparts long before the adult canines have finished erupting, so their size does not matter in this case, as the adult canines are fully descended.

I keep a chart similar to this one handy at work because I have a hard time remembering certain points of the timeline. Note, the "period of eruption" indicates when the teeth are usually first seen.

Adult canines tend to erupt around 4-5 months, be halfway down by 5 - 5 & 1/2 months, and fully erupted by 6 months.
Malnourishment can also cause teeth to erupt late in some cases.

With all that in mind, I'd say your kitty is definitely over 6 months and probably closer to 8-12 months given that he's 12 pounds (average adult is around 10 pounds and most don't exceed 12 unless they are a large breed or obese - although it's hard to fully assess his body condition in your photos).
Lepisma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Taking Ruff to work with me tomorrow for possible x-rays. The poor boy developed another abscess in his cheek a few days ago, the third one in that spot in the last 6 months, with a good amount of pus drawn out of it each time... So we are hoping if we take some x-rays we can see if he has a claw or something in there that keeps making abscesses and we can take it out! Kinda nervous about him possibly going under anaesthetic, I mean as a vet nurse I have helped with this hundred of times but it is going to be so different when its my own animal! Saying that, I will probably want to do everything (place catheter, monitor, wake up) as I feel since he is my cat, he is my responsibility!
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MinYoongiJjangJjang » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 pm

I have 3 cats!
MinYoongiJjangJjang