Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:38 am

woospuss wrote:
Queenie! wrote:Pumpkin is doing pretty well so far. She got scared yesterday though, when a guest came over, and ended up jumping into a gap in the ceiling of my basement. She was sore after that, but her incision looks fine.
Speaking of which, I freaked myself out when I finally managed to get her to let me see it. I was expecting regular run-of-the-mill dissolvable sutures, but apparently they used surgical adhesive instead. I thought for a moment that she might have ripped the sutures out, but I didn't see any holes where they would have been. That was a fun experience. lol
She hasn't messed with the spot, thankfully. Just keeps trying to lick it when she grooms, but some gentle nudges seem to work to get her to leave it alone. For the most part she's just resting on my bed, occasionally gets up to get food or water, and that's about it. Let's just hope that this whole thing curbs her aggression issue. :lol:

There might be dissovable sutures under the skin, at the clinic I work at for speys, our vets tend to suture under the skin, meaning nothing is visible except for the incision line which they then put a small amount of surgical skin glue over.

Ah, that would make sense. Probably what they did, then.

On another note, just because I feel like having a little journal type thing for her progress, here's a funny thing she's been doing lately.
She's gotten into the habit of jumping onto the couch (usually using a box I set against it so she doesn't have to jump as much), and then acting like she's stuck up there. I tried calling her to the kitchen for a treat, but she just sat on the back of the couch and mewed at me. I even tried coaxing her down onto the box but she wouldn't go. I ended up just having to pick her up and set her down on the floor. Weird little rugrat.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DizzyGlitchez » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:17 am

I have a cat called Blink. I dont have a picture of it though.
I have a small question:
Is it normal for single male cats do weird stuff at a blanket?
DizzyGlitchez

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:24 am

StevenUniverse wrote:I have a cat called Blink. I dont have a picture of it though.
I have a small question:
Is it normal for single male cats do weird stuff at a blanket?

Well, if he isn't fixed then he's probably doing it because of that. But if he is, this article should help you figure it out.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Gizmutt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:48 pm

sigh, so I finally broke down and bought expensive covered litter boxes, to end the dilemma of me having to clean up 5 lbs of cat litter all over my floor every day, just in time for another problem to progress and begin to drive me crazy.

My cat can simply not survive with out tipping over her water dish. Seriously, it is like it is essential to her very existence, that every time she passes the dang thing she has to flip it over. I have bought 5 different types of water dishes now, and she has found a way to flip over every.single.one.

I can't not give my cats water, but I live in a very humid area to begin with, (An an apartment) I don't need mold to start growing.
Has any one ever had a problem with this? It's driving me nuts.
So say goodbye to the old, and hello to that rainbow road ...
Gizmutt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:51 pm

SimpleRumors: wrote:
sigh, so I finally broke down and bought expensive covered litter boxes, to end the dilemma of me having to clean up 5 lbs of cat litter all over my floor every day, just in time for another problem to progress and begin to drive me crazy.

My cat can simply not survive with out tipping over her water dish. Seriously, it is like it is essential to her very existence, that every time she passes the dang thing she has to flip it over. I have bought 5 different types of water dishes now, and she has found a way to flip over every.single.one.

I can't not give my cats water, but I live in a very humid area to begin with, (An an apartment) I don't need mold to start growing.
Has any one ever had a problem with this? It's driving me nuts.

Have you already tried a fountain bowl, or one of the bowls with the jug attached? Some cats can develop a habit of "digging" in their water or tipping it over because they want moving water. Cats are naturally inclined to seek running water as opposed to stagnant water, though many cats can be conditioned to settle for standing water in a bowl.
It may also help, if you can't afford to buy another bowl just yet, to replace the water every few hours. My youngest cat has the same problem, but ever since I started replacing the water whenever I went to make a meal for myself, she's stopped doing it as often.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby the folly of man » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:02 pm

hey there! I've had this thread bookmarked for a while, and I guess I finally wanna jump on the bandwagon?

I've got 3 cats in my house- there's been around like.. 15-ish cats total my family's had?
my current cats are
Meap - the grumpy ginger. he's a total tomcat and around a year old.
Trikal - the slightly less grumpy tortoiseshell. she's a very beautiful girl and around 4-5 years old?
and my personal favorite
Hurricane - the poor grey tabby. he's got so many things that make him perfectly unique. he's super sweet and I could cuddle him forever. he's around a year old, but he still looks and acts like a kitten! (he's so adorable aaaaa I could go on and on about how adorable he is--)

I might try to get pictures later :)
★ the folly of man ★
folly/skelly/bazil ☻ any pronouns ☻ genderfluid

ImagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxM

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤

hi i'm folly i like to draw and stuff. not super active here
outside of adopting pets, but i do use oekaki sometimes !
i'm kind of forgetful so please don't be scared to PM me
if you think i've forgotten anything i owe you! ^_^

ImageImage
ImageImage
pfp by my buddy jonah hi oomfie
the folly of man

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deerbroken » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 am

hey there ny'all i thought I would post about my cat stanford since she's an angel and i love her sm when she's not nipping at my ankles or running around at 3 am
she is polydactyl which means she has extra toes! she has 26 in total, 6 on both of her front paws and 7 on the back. she's also a tortoise shell and she has a little white spot on her tail which is p cute in my opinion.
here is a picture of her! You can kind of see her feet in this one? Her back feet are kinda weird tbh but i love her anyway

Stanford.png
deerbroken

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PikaPerfect » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:58 am

Comrade wrote:I have 2 cats. My oldest cat just turned 25 in november and hes been deaf for 7 years. I love him to death, I really do, but he is super vocal and lately I've been finding him super annoying. The vet tells me deaf cats tend to be more vocal, but it depends on the cat. He has always ate a dry food diet, however for the past 3 years hes just been eating off of our plates solely. He still has teeth (all except 1) and is still fully capable of eating the dry diet. He just refuses to. He also refuses to eat wet cat food. I've probably tried every brand, flavor and texture.

Is there anyway I can get him to eat dry food again?

is 25 here a mistype for 15 or is your cat actually that old? If he really is 25 years old, congrats, you're pretty close to breaking the record for world's oldest cat :p

Edit: I'm still the most recent post on here, and now I have a question, so edits galore I guess

My older and bigger cat (Poe, 7, turning 8 in about 2 months) is fairly overweight. It's not horrible, but he could definitely do with losing a few pounds. He's also naturally enormous (I'm 5' 8" - 5' 9" and he reaches just above my hips when he stretches lol) in addition to his extra weight. This is all to back up my question: How overweight would a cat have to be for it to affect their lifespan? Like I said, Poe is almost 8 and he's not showing any signs of aging even in the least, so I'm sure he's going to be at least 12, probably older, but I really want what's best for my chubby boy and I want him to live the longest, happiest life possible. He's such a sweetheart (Although he's only like that to me, he hates everyone else), and I have a closer connection to him than the majority of my immediate family (Which says a lot, because I care a ton about my family). I'd like to have him live to be at least 18-19, preferably longer, because he's done more for my anxiety than my meds or my councilor have, and I don't know if I'd be able to cope without him until I'm at least 21-24.

tl;dr: what could i do for my kitty to extend his lifespan as long as possible, while also keeping him happy and healthy?
call me pika - he/him - gay - i like cats, pokemon, and genshin impact
sorry if i don't respond to your DM, random messages give me anxiety 😎✌
The summoning gif worked :)
PikaPerfect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:34 am

PikaPerfect wrote:
Comrade wrote:I have 2 cats. My oldest cat just turned 25 in november and hes been deaf for 7 years. I love him to death, I really do, but he is super vocal and lately I've been finding him super annoying. The vet tells me deaf cats tend to be more vocal, but it depends on the cat. He has always ate a dry food diet, however for the past 3 years hes just been eating off of our plates solely. He still has teeth (all except 1) and is still fully capable of eating the dry diet. He just refuses to. He also refuses to eat wet cat food. I've probably tried every brand, flavor and texture.

Is there anyway I can get him to eat dry food again?

is 25 here a mistype for 15 or is your cat actually that old? If he really is 25 years old, congrats, you're pretty close to breaking the record for world's oldest cat :p

Edit: I'm still the most recent post on here, and now I have a question, so edits galore I guess

My older and bigger cat (Poe, 7, turning 8 in about 2 months) is fairly overweight. It's not horrible, but he could definitely do with losing a few pounds. He's also naturally enormous (I'm 5' 8" - 5' 9" and he reaches just above my hips when he stretches lol) in addition to his extra weight. This is all to back up my question: How overweight would a cat have to be for it to affect their lifespan? Like I said, Poe is almost 8 and he's not showing any signs of aging even in the least, so I'm sure he's going to be at least 12, probably older, but I really want what's best for my chubby boy and I want him to live the longest, happiest life possible. He's such a sweetheart (Although he's only like that to me, he hates everyone else), and I have a closer connection to him than the majority of my immediate family (Which says a lot, because I care a ton about my family). I'd like to have him live to be at least 18-19, preferably longer, because he's done more for my anxiety than my meds or my councilor have, and I don't know if I'd be able to cope without him until I'm at least 21-24.

tl;dr: what could i do for my kitty to extend his lifespan as long as possible, while also keeping him happy and healthy?

As far as the weight goes, that would be a question best directed at a vet. Healthy weight depends on several factors which only your vet can really determine.

To answer your other question, there are a lot of things you can do. Keep him on a good, balanced diet, give him plenty of stimulus (a cat tower, interactive toys, etc.), and regular yearly vet check ups should keep him happy and healthy.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:27 am

PikaPerfect wrote:

What are you currently feeding him?
Just like humans any extra weight isn't going to help but it isn't the only factor in his lifespan. All you can do is keep him as healthy as possible and be aware that even the healthiest cat with the best care could end up dying early for a huge variety of reasons. Keep an eye on him and if you notice anything different with his behavior or health take him to a vet. Early treatment makes a lot of things more survivable.
Indoor cats tend to live longer than outdoor ones.
There's a chart here to give you an idea of if a cat is overweight.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me