Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby arctic.sprite » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 am

It's my kitties birthday!
The black cat in the middle turns 11 today!
He's my best friend and snuggle buddy!
Obviously, he's a cat who is loved by all!
--And extremely spoiled and mouthy!
arctic.sprite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:37 am

Hello! Wondering if I could get some quick feedback for something.
My one year old kitten, Pumpkin, is going in for her spay appointment on the 24th. The thing I'm concerned about is that I'm afraid she might pick at her sutures. My older cat pretty much left hers alone, but she's a very laid back cat, whereas Pumpkin is, frankly, a little terror most of the time, constantly biting and scratching her cat tower, her toys, and sometimes the dog. Because of her rambunctiousness, I'm worried she'll get irritated with the sutures and rip them out. Should I ask the vet for a cone for her? I didn't need one with my other cat, so I don't have one on hand or anything. The other issue is that I don't know if I'll be able to keep the cone on her if she does get one.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fishstix. » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:39 pm

So I just got a new kitten, but I kinda need help :'')
I have 2 cats already, they're older and about 5 years old. Both brothers and have been with each other for their whole lives, but since I found this cat I've been feeding him for weeks then decided to keep him because whoever he belonged to obviously didn't want him
I keep him in a separate room, but I want to let him walk around the house freely after a while. When I show the kitten to my 2 other cats, they just hiss at him and for some reason they run away? I can tel somewhat of what's happening, like when the kitten rubbed his back on the door it seems to have provoked my cats. But I just don't understand what's making the cats run away from the kitten? The kitten meows for a very long time when watching them and lays down on his belly

Can anyone help tell me why they're acting like this, or how I can get them to like eachother?
fishstix.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Xuoit wrote:So I just got a new kitten, but I kinda need help :'')
I have 2 cats already, they're older and about 5 years old. Both brothers and have been with each other for their whole lives, but since I found this cat I've been feeding him for weeks then decided to keep him because whoever he belonged to obviously didn't want him
I keep him in a separate room, but I want to let him walk around the house freely after a while. When I show the kitten to my 2 other cats, they just hiss at him and for some reason they run away? I can tel somewhat of what's happening, like when the kitten rubbed his back on the door it seems to have provoked my cats. But I just don't understand what's making the cats run away from the kitten? The kitten meows for a very long time when watching them and lays down on his belly

Can anyone help tell me why they're acting like this, or how I can get them to like eachother?

Likely what's going on is that your two older cats feel like their territory is being threatened. Cats react to this in several different ways, some will lash out at the threat, others will run away from the threat and hide, etc. When cats rub against things, they're marking them with their scent. When the kitten did this, it provoked your cats because, like I already mentioned, they feel that this new cat is trying to take their turf.
The best course of action would be to introduce them slowly. Keep the kitten in the separate room, and bring the two other cats to the other side of the door to that room, you'll probably need a family member or friend to help with this. Make sure the cats know that the kitten is there, and vice versa, and try giving them food or treats, or play with them. It will probably take some time before they're comfortable eating or playing in front of each other, but eventually they should start. This is done to help them relax and let their guard down, and to get used to each other being around. It teaches them that this other cat won't steal all of their food, and that they're not a threat to their territory.
Once they're comfortable eating/playing on either side of the door, you can open the door a crack and let the cats check each other out for short periods of time. Again, this step will probably take some time, but eventually you should notice a change in their behavior. Keep in mind that fights can and will occur, especially if the new cat isn't fixed.
Just be sure to always monitor their interactions, and break things up if something goes wrong.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mierose » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Queenie! wrote:Hello! Wondering if I could get some quick feedback for something.
My one year old kitten, Pumpkin, is going in for her spay appointment on the 24th. The thing I'm concerned about is that I'm afraid she might pick at her sutures. My older cat pretty much left hers alone, but she's a very laid back cat, whereas Pumpkin is, frankly, a little terror most of the time, constantly biting and scratching her cat tower, her toys, and sometimes the dog. Because of her rambunctiousness, I'm worried she'll get irritated with the sutures and rip them out. Should I ask the vet for a cone for her? I didn't need one with my other cat, so I don't have one on hand or anything. The other issue is that I don't know if I'll be able to keep the cone on her if she does get one.

I had the same problem with all of my kitties, and yes, you will likely need a cone. Though, if you feel that you don’t like the hard plastic cone option, you can buy a softer, floppier cone or a cloud collar which is a softer inflatable cone. I recommend these as they are generally more comfortable for the cat. To make sure it stays on, you’ll definitely need to supervise her more and make sure places that you can’t reach are off limits while she’s recovering. Links to cones I recommend:
https://www.chewy.com/kong-cloud-collar ... HQQAvD_BwE
https://www.chewy.com/comfy-cone-e-coll ... lsrc=aw.ds
THE. SECRET. OF. LIFE. IS. TO. KEEP. LOOKING. UP

MickiJayGonny
KiffKnightDimi

Call me mier or rose | She/her | Lesbian | Sagittarius

Buttermilks

. .. .
mierose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Mistykeka wrote:
Queenie! wrote:Hello! Wondering if I could get some quick feedback for something.

I had the same problem with all of my kitties, and yes, you will likely need a cone. Though, if you feel that you don’t like the hard plastic cone option, you can buy a softer, floppier cone or a cloud collar which is a softer inflatable cone. I recommend these as they are generally more comfortable for the cat. To make sure it stays on, you’ll definitely need to supervise her more and make sure places that you can’t reach are off limits while she’s recovering. Links to cones I recommend:
https://www.chewy.com/kong-cloud-collar ... HQQAvD_BwE
https://www.chewy.com/comfy-cone-e-coll ... lsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the advice! I'll see if any stores in town sell those, but if not I'll just have to go the plastic cone route.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:14 pm

If a cone doesn't work, you can try cutting the sleeve off and old jumper/shirt, and making her a little shirt that covers the suture site, with two holes in the front to put her front legs through! We recommend this to many clients after their cat or dog is desexed, as often while their in the clinic they leave the site alone, so we don't send them home with a cone unless requested by the owner, we give them the option of coming back for a cone or covering the site.

As to keeping a cone on, for my cat who wore a cone for a week after getting a drain put in his cheek, I threaded his collar through the cone, then using a soft bandage, weaved that around the collar and through the cone and making a bow at the end. This worked well and we left him home alone and he didn't get his cone off.
The most extreme I have ever done to keep a cone on was for a cat who needed to keep a urinary catheter in and he kept getting his cone off, so we bandaged the cone to him and made a little vest of vet wrap (bandage) to stop him getting it off! :lol: :lol: SO he strutted around the clinic with a bright orange vest
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:45 pm

woospuss wrote:

If a cone doesn't work, you can try cutting the sleeve off and old jumper/shirt, and making her a little shirt that covers the suture site, with two holes in the front to put her front legs through! We recommend this to many clients after their cat or dog is desexed, as often while their in the clinic they leave the site alone, so we don't send them home with a cone unless requested by the owner, we give them the option of coming back for a cone or covering the site.

As to keeping a cone on, for my cat who wore a cone for a week after getting a drain put in his cheek, I threaded his collar through the cone, then using a soft bandage, weaved that around the collar and through the cone and making a bow at the end. This worked well and we left him home alone and he didn't get his cone off.
The most extreme I have ever done to keep a cone on was for a cat who needed to keep a urinary catheter in and he kept getting his cone off, so we bandaged the cone to him and made a little vest of vet wrap (bandage) to stop him getting it off! :lol: :lol: SO he strutted around the clinic with a bright orange vest

I didn't think of doing the shirt thing, actually. I had to do that for my pup when she was spayed, so I have no idea why I didn't think of it. :lol: I'll try that out with her, it'll probably be easier to get it on her while she's still drowsy after getting home. If nothing else then I'll just have to go the collar route. I definitely don't trust her to leave it alone, little tyke never leaves anything alone. lol

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yeegurt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Hello, friends.
This is my cat, Mischief.
She's a bit evil, but I love her. She likes drinking from bath tubs and making mrrrrv sounds.

╔═════════════╗
Hi, I'm Haley!
I like black cats, video games and naps.
I am always open to making new friends.
Don't be afraid to PM me if you need someone to talk to.
╚═════════════╝
Yeegurt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mawsoleum » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:31 pm

spay/neuters are kept and watched after surgery as the animals wake up, so vet or vet techs will notice if they start to pick at the stitches. if they do notice, they'll definitely give you a cone, but if you tell them about your worries they'll likely give you one anyway. cones can generally stay pretty secure, and they're not hard to get back on if the animal does manage to get it off. it may be a bit of a pain, but it'll be beneficial in the long run!

toyhouse
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
want wl sitting cats
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
song of the month

hello!
you can call me grim or maw

they/them
post hardcore/hardcore/deathcore/metalcore obsessed
adult member
disc: mawsoleum
mawsoleum