Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby xXocea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Gonna pop in and leave this lil question here

Code: Select all
    [b]What is the longest you've had a cat live?:[/b]

My aunt's cat (Lives with us) is currently 23, and I was curious if anyone else has had any cats that are/were really old? As far as I know the average lifespan for a housecat is 12-15 years, Missy is nearly twice that.

There's not any special that was done with her either. We don't feed her like a super high-quality diet. (She's on Science diet) And she's not a purebred either. Just some moggie.
    She's lived long for a cat, especially long for a cat with as many issues as she does. She's allergic to so many things it's not even funny.
    (Rodents, and fish are a main thing - something a normal cat would hunt) My aunt believes it was due to her being placed with a really sick cat when she was young at the vets. Missy came back sick, and since then had alot of allergies.
Last edited by xXocea on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:33 pm

They didn't end up giving her a cone, apparently it costs extra. :T I'll just keep an eye on her, if she starts licking the incision too much then I'll make her a shirt or ask my dad to buy her a cloud cone when he goes to work. For the moment she's just really sore and really tired, poor thing. My other cats treated her like an alien, and my dog was acting like a helicopter parent, following her around and making sure no one messed with her. It's pretty cute. lol
For now she's just in my room, away from the other animals. I only let her out to use the litter box.

What is the longest you've had a cat live?:

I had a tortoiseshell named Azrael who lived to be about 19 years old. She probably would have lived longer if she hadn't gotten into a scuffle with a fox after escaping the house. She survived the attack, but I think it took a lot out of her. She lived for about 3 months after and then passed away. :c Miss my granny kitty.

My great aunt had a cat named Tiger that lived to be about 23? 24? years old. Poor thing just waddled around the house, couldn't really jump, and she croaked more than meowed. But she was a very sweet old girl.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 pm

^^ Aww poor Azrael! I have a soft spot for tortoiseshell cats. Do you still have any pictures of her? I'd love to see!

I think Missy still has some years to go. She went to the vets recently (To get a check-up before her surgery which is taking place tonight/tomorrow morning to remove a tooth) and they said she has impeccable bloodwork for her age.
    She still has good mobility can jump around, she gets onto "her" section of the couch just fine. She also... um, she likes to "guard" the hallways and stairs. If me or my cousin try to get past her she'll pounce on our legs. She's even chased me a couple time, lol. Stairs are an issue though she doesn't go down them very well, and she stopped being able to get into her litter box. We accommodated to her needs and we moved her from the basement to the main floor and she uses puppy-pads to go to the bathroom instead of a litterbox.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:52 pm

RebelliousWinter wrote:
    ^^ Aww poor Azrael! I have a soft spot for tortoiseshell cats. Do you still have any pictures of her? I'd love to see!

I think Missy still has some years to go. She went to the vets recently (To get a check-up before her surgery which is taking place tonight/tomorrow morning to remove a tooth) and they said she has impeccable bloodwork for her age.
    She still has good mobility can jump around, she gets onto "her" section of the couch just fine. She also... um, she likes to "guard" the hallways and stairs. If me or my cousin try to get past her she'll pounce on our legs. She's even chased me a couple time, lol. Stairs are an issue though she doesn't go down them very well, and she stopped being able to get into her litter box. We accommodated to her needs and we moved her from the basement to the main floor and she uses puppy-pads to go to the bathroom instead of a litterbox.

I found this one, actually. c: One of my favorites of her. Still have no idea how or why she got that bracelet on. :lol:
That's a funny coincidence, Azzy had to get a tooth removed too. Well, pieces of tooth. She managed to shatter one of her canines, no idea how. Her son, Cazimi, ended up losing the same tooth as her later on, too. So many strange coincidences.
She was a feisty old girl. Always had to speak her mind, always had to be head honcho of the house. She liked to yell at me as soon as I walked into the house after getting home from school or work, and followed me around until I fed her. I guess she had that "tortie-tude" you always hear tortoiseshell owners talking about.

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rainbow Dash » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:08 pm

I don't remember how long my first cat lasted by Icky Cat only lived 11 years. He was poorly bred and had a blood disorder.

Oldest cat I've ever seen was a 21 year old cat named Chupacabra. He was a grey outdoor cat that was super skinny and had the biggest fangs I've ever seen on a cat. He was immobile for a while until we nursed him back to health. I miss Chupacabra, he was a great cat.
[: Veterinary professional | Female | Hobbyist artist :]
Image Image Image Image
New Chicken Smoothie Tarot
[: Free-to-Use CS Graphics || Request Free CS Graphics || Every Pet As a Stamp Project :]
Sig art by me || Avatar by Scragster || Busy with work! Might be slow to respond!
Rainbow Dash

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mawsoleum » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:35 pm

i've only had a cat live to 18, the rest have been spread from 8-16. however, i work at a vet's office and we had a cat come in the other day who was 26 years old and still doing pretty well. i'm not sure what the owners are doing but it's working lmao

toyhouse
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
want wl sitting cats
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
song of the month

hello!
you can call me grim or maw

they/them
post hardcore/hardcore/deathcore/metalcore obsessed
adult member
disc: mawsoleum
pfp: wafflecat /// sig: thecynicalhound
mawsoleum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby souldier » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi everyone,
I don't personally own a cat but my sister got one for her birthday a few years ago.
I've been suffering from sneezing fits and a runny nose ever since and recently my parents and I have linked it up with the cat - and boom I have a cat allergy.
Is there any way to help prevent it at all?
Or am I just gonna have to have a tap for a nose til I leave home? XD
(our cat sheds like crazy btw)
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxMy kalons

x Best friend
xxx
xxxxxxxxxxx

souldier

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xXocea » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 am

souldier wrote:Hi everyone,
I don't personally own a cat but my sister got one for her birthday a few years ago.
I've been suffering from sneezing fits and a runny nose ever since and recently my parents and I have linked it up with the cat - and boom I have a cat allergy.
Is there any way to help prevent it at all?
Or am I just gonna have to have a tap for a nose til I leave home? XD
(our cat sheds like crazy btw)

I'm allergic to cats as well! Except it's not really in the classic sneezy-runny nose way (like you do) it's a bit different.
    It's my eyes that start to water and swell-up so bad I can't open them. In really bad cases I do get a reaction from my nose and throat,
    but mostly it's just my eyes.

For awhile I took some medication that I guess helped with my allergies to the cats. I took it whenever I visited inside of my childhood friends home. Maybe you could go to your doctor and see if you could get something similar?
    Fortunately I don't have to take it anymore. Not sure why, but I seem to be just fine with my aunt's cat and she doesn't cause a reaction out of me. I've been living with her for about 6 years now, and before that I'd spend entire summers at her house before she moved in with us so I might have built an immunity to Missy. I've come to that conclusion because my allergies still trigger with other cats.

Some other things that might help you is to wash your hands more. Especially after you pet the cat. If I touch my eye after petting Missy I still will occasionally irritate my eyes. Also try to invest in a good brush that will help with shedding. When you reduce the amount of hair that's just randomly floating around the place it'll likely cause your allergies not to react as much. Also try to vacuum off your couch if it's fabric and not leather as hair can stick to that. Or any other furniture the cat likes to lay on and has a tendency to collect hair. Reducing the amount of loose cat-hair in the house will help as what most people are allergic to is dander which coats the hair. It's saliva, dirt, skin cells, and other stuff.
xXocea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sixx O'Clock » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:49 am

Pumpkin is doing pretty well so far. She got scared yesterday though, when a guest came over, and ended up jumping into a gap in the ceiling of my basement. She was sore after that, but her incision looks fine.
Speaking of which, I freaked myself out when I finally managed to get her to let me see it. I was expecting regular run-of-the-mill dissolvable sutures, but apparently they used surgical adhesive instead. I thought for a moment that she might have ripped the sutures out, but I didn't see any holes where they would have been. That was a fun experience. lol
She hasn't messed with the spot, thankfully. Just keeps trying to lick it when she grooms, but some gentle nudges seem to work to get her to leave it alone. For the most part she's just resting on my bed, occasionally gets up to get food or water, and that's about it. Let's just hope that this whole thing curbs her aggression issue. :lol:

x
x
x

───────────────
ImageImageImage
Sixx | she/they
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow is a Mystery,
But Today is a gift,
That's why it's called
The Present

───────────────
x
x
x
x
x
x
Sixx O'Clock

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:00 pm

Queenie! wrote:Pumpkin is doing pretty well so far. She got scared yesterday though, when a guest came over, and ended up jumping into a gap in the ceiling of my basement. She was sore after that, but her incision looks fine.
Speaking of which, I freaked myself out when I finally managed to get her to let me see it. I was expecting regular run-of-the-mill dissolvable sutures, but apparently they used surgical adhesive instead. I thought for a moment that she might have ripped the sutures out, but I didn't see any holes where they would have been. That was a fun experience. lol
She hasn't messed with the spot, thankfully. Just keeps trying to lick it when she grooms, but some gentle nudges seem to work to get her to leave it alone. For the most part she's just resting on my bed, occasionally gets up to get food or water, and that's about it. Let's just hope that this whole thing curbs her aggression issue. :lol:

There might be dissovable sutures under the skin, at the clinic I work at for speys, our vets tend to suture under the skin, meaning nothing is visible except for the incision line which they then put a small amount of surgical skin glue over.
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me