The Chicken Smoothie Hedgehog Society ♥

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The Chicken Smoothie Hedgehog Society ♥

Postby Dia. » Thu May 26, 2016 4:41 pm

The Chicken Smoothie Hedgehog Society

Welcome!
I wasn't able to find a thread meant for hedgehog owners and lovers alike, so I present to you the CSHS. This is a fun community meant for people to come together and discuss their pokey hog children. Feel free to chat about anything and everything hedgehog related!
Feel free to share your own images, tell your stories, ask questions of other owners, and so much more.

You do not have to be a hedgehog owner to post here. We are open to potential hogparents and admirers alike!

5/25/16
CSHS is founded. It is open for posting, but the thread is still under construction.
Last edited by Dia. on Thu May 26, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Chicken Smoothie Hedgehog Society - No Posting

Postby Dia. » Thu May 26, 2016 4:53 pm

Guidelines

• Be respectful and responsible
Be kind to fellow users and do not bash. Feel free to offer advice, but be reasonable. Your pride is not more important than your pet. So, if multiple members are telling you something, please at least accept their opinions and look into it. If you ask for help, please be prepared to try to accept it. Do not ask for help if you are going to directly ignore/contradict it.

• Please fill out the form if you would like to become a member. You may still post if you do not fill out a form.

• The CSHS community is not a replacement for a veterinarian. We are not your vet.
Do not take advice here as a replacement for your vet. Always contact a veterinarian who has experience with hedgehogs if you are concerned for the well being of your pet. Feel free to ask questions such as while you are waiting for an appointment, but don't put off a vet visit because you are waiting on an answer here.

• Do not purposely offer false advice.
If you are unsure, please do some research before answering a question. You will never be punished for making a mistake. Just please make sure that the advice you offer is sound.

• CS rules always apply
Avoid posting any personal information or images such as where your face is in the frame. We want people to be safe.

These rules are subject to change.
Last edited by Dia. on Thu May 26, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Thu May 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Members

You can post without filling out the membership form. This way, you can come in with single questions without feeling tied to the community.
However, if you will be sticking around, please feel free to fill out the form and get your name on our list!
Anyone, hedgehog owners and admirers alike, are allowed to join.

Code: Select all
[b]I'd Like to Join![/b]
Username:
Are you a hedgehog owner?:

If yes, for how long?
What are their names?

If no, do you want get one?

Does your membership need updating? Did you recently obtain a new pet or change your username? Please fill out this form to update your existing membership.

Code: Select all
[b]I'd Like to Update my Membership![/b]
Username:
Past Usernames:
Link to Your Most Recent Form:
Are you a hedgehog owner?:

If yes, for how long?
What are their names?

If no, do you want to get one?

Member list
Dia. - Founder - pg 2 - Theanine
caitlynthecat - Member - pg 2 - Lysander
PotatoAnimeGeek - Member - pg 2 - No Hedgehog
Boomer - Member - pg 2 - Jack(RIP)
DragonLoverHere - Member - pg 3 - No Hedgehog
Istorii - Member - pg 3 - Rupert(RIP)
Narcissa Malfoy - Member - pg 5 - No Hedgehog
||CSwolf|| - Member - pg 6 - No Hedgehog
soft butch - Member - pg 8 - No Hedgehog
Meredy - Member - pg 9 - No Hedgehog
Réka Csillagász - Member - pg 9 - No Hedgehog
Azhtann - Member - pg 10 -Enzo Amore, Tom Thumb, et al.
RAWR - Member - pg 10 - Runtkin
Spotenya - Member - pg 10 - No Hedgehog
v.i.p. - Member - pg 11 - Maple
Last edited by Dia. on Sun May 21, 2017 4:06 am, edited 12 times in total.
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Thu May 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Hedgehog Care

Some basic care will be shared here. Please also do your own research if you are considering bringing a hedgehog into your family.
Hedgehogs are sensitive exotic pets. They are very expensive and need specific care to thrive.

Before thinking about getting a hedgehog, do plenty of research and make sure that they are legal to keep as a pet where you live!

•••

Basic Information
African Pygmy Hedgehogs are not natively found anywhere. They were bred specifically for pets and cannot survive on their own in the wild. They are not related to porcupines. c:

Hedgehogs are solitary animals! They don't need a friend. Often times, hedgehogs kept together will fight. Females may be housed together rarely. Never house males together as they will fight. Never, ever allow a male and a female to live or even "play" together. You will end up with babies, which is incredibly risky if the proper steps aren't taken.

Housing
Hedgehog housing needs to have enough room for their wheel, hide, dishes, and a roaming hedgie! It is commonly recommended that the cage is at least 3-4 square feet. However, if you have the room and the ability to heat the cage, the bigger it is, the better! Make sure that your housing choice has a solid floor, rather than wire floor(as is the case in many rabbit cages). Wire floors hurt sensitive hedgie feet! Also stay away from housing with ramps and multiple levels, as hedgehogs are not excellent climbers. They also have poor depth perception and will walk right off an edge, likely causing injury. Multiple level cages must be approached with extreme caution and you need to be prepared to make many modifications. Hedgehogs do best with a lot of horizontal floor space rather than vertical.
Popular housing options include wire cages, large plastic bins (with ventilation holes), and C&C cages. Glass aquariums may also be used, but they are not recommended. Aquariums are heavy, expensive, and have problems with ventilation. They also hold in humidity and don't retain heat as well as a plastic bin.
Vertical bars are more highly recommended than horizontal bars. Make sure that, if your cage has horizontal bars, the bin is deep enough that the hedgehog can't climb. If not, you may have to construct some kind of extension.
A lid for the cage is also always recommended.

Hedgehog owners use many different kinds of bedding for the bottom of their hedgehog's cage. There is not one "best" bedding. However, owners and breeders agree that cedar should never be used as it can cause health problems.
Popular bedding choices include fleece, paper beddings(like carefresh), wood pellets, and wood shavings.
Fleece is a fairly long-term investment. Simply buy a couple yards of anti-pill fleece(so that it wont' wrap around hedgie toes/claws), cut to size, double over, and put it in the bottom of the cage. They can be shaken out, washed, and then reused. Fleece is not always very absorbent. Some people also sell custom cage liners that are made from fleece and an absorbent inner layer.
Paper beddings and any wood beddings provide a digging opportunity and they are absorbent, but are also very messy and hard to clean up. It is important to freeze all paper/wood bedding products to kill any mites that may be living in the bedding. Hedgehogs are very susceptible to mite infestations. Be watchful with wood bedding, as it can stick to/in a hedgehog's sensitive areas and cause infections or irritation.
Last edited by Dia. on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Thu May 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Hedgehog Care Cont

wip
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Thu May 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Hedgehog Care Cont

wip
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Frequently Asked Questions

wip
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Links, Tips, and Tricks

Hedgehog Central is a great resource and community full of hedgehog wisdom.

The Hedgehog Welfare Society exists to protect the well-being of pet hedgehogs through rescue, research, and education of the people who care for them.

Message me to have your hedgehog-centered adoptable added to our list!
Image Image
Last edited by Dia. on Thu May 26, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dia.
FanArt Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dia. » Thu May 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Gallery