* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Megaguirus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:08 pm

I actually find it quieter to have one tiel! LOL, when I only had one, she was only loud when we left the room without her, since we were her flock. But now that I have a flock, they squawk up a storm in the mornings! They aren't wanting anything, they just like being noisy. They settle down after a few hours though, especially if I'm in there and talking to them and rubbing their heads.

It honestly depends on the bird, though. Because even in the flock, my first tiel, Cookie, is mostly silent. She's just not much of a talker. She's also very much a loner, and prefers it when I take her out of the room to spend alone time with me or when I'm just rubbing her head, trying to ignore the others wanting their share. If you have at least three hours in a day to spend time with your tiel, it won't hurt to get just one. They will just want to be your companion for almost everything, always riding around on your shoulder and getting into your business. But if you have school or work, just like every other human, then get at least two. Granted, they will still need attention. Tiels, from my experience, are very "flock oriented" birds.

Like I said, this is just my opinion. I've had tiels for twelve (almost thirteen) years now, so I'd like to think I have at least some experience with them.
Megaguirus gets distracted by a butterfly. So pretty.

"Go ahead reveal yourself,
As you were born to do,
Their fathers killed the prophets,
Hallelujah! They're going to kill us too."
Children 18:3 - Final

Female/Christian/Homeschooled/INFP/FNaF/Godzilla/Writer/Bugs/Cockroaches/Markiplier
"I'm wearing no disguise, a Jesus Freak 'til the day that I die. And I will not compromise, throw every stone but you can't take my life." 7eventh Time Down - Alive in You
Megaguirus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi<3 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Hey, check out the pets on my account and tell me what u think ! I made an aviary

Edit:
Can anyone tell me what parrots these are supposed to represent ? I can't figure it out. They were in the same litter as the macaw,caique,lovebird, tiel etc.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-12-29-19-00-53.png
Screenshot_2017-12-29-19-00-53.png (241.71 KiB) Viewed 48 times
╔═══════════════════════╗
Hello! Call me Lexi.
Pronouns are she/her
Feel free to trade me<3
I love birds.-- I'm a parakeet breeder with around 30 of them.
Need help with budgies? Ask me. Ive owned them for 7+ years.
soon to be cockatiel breeder

╚═══════════════════════╝

Lexi<3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dumbdolphin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:01 am

Anyone have any tips of getting a cockatiel or any bird to trust your hand? I've had my cockatiel for about a month now and no matter, he still hates my hand. I know patience is the key and i've been putting my hand on his cage for 10-20 minutes a day while singing a song he really relaxes to. If anyone has any advice that would be wonderful!

I was also thinking of getting another cockatiel (male and male) since he really seems to be lonely at times and maybe that's the reason he hates me and my family. When I bought him he was in a cage of 7-8 other tiels. Maybe he isn't used to being alone.
𝔸
𝕟
𝕘
𝕖
𝕝
𝕤

𝕠
𝕗
𝕋
𝕙
𝕖

𝕊
𝕖
𝕒

╔═══════════╗
hello!
⋅.˳˳.⋅ॱ˙˙ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅ॱ˙˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅
zoology major ‧.°
adult user
╚═══════════╝
Dumbdolphin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:16 am

DumbDolphin wrote:Anyone have any tips of getting a cockatiel or any bird to trust your hand? I've had my cockatiel for about a month now and no matter, he still hates my hand. I know patience is the key and i've been putting my hand on his cage for 10-20 minutes a day while singing a song he really relaxes to. If anyone has any advice that would be wonderful!

I was also thinking of getting another cockatiel (male and male) since he really seems to be lonely at times and maybe that's the reason he hates me and my family. When I bought him he was in a cage of 7-8 other tiels. Maybe he isn't used to being alone.
Feed him regularly from your hand, rather than the bowl — but first make sure you have plenty of time to keep returning each time he starts acting hungry! c; As he gets more and more used to you, you'll be able to ease-up and leave food in his bowl when he needs it, as you will have already established your trustworthyness cx
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:14 pm

Megaguirus wrote:I actually find it quieter to have one tiel! LOL, when I only had one, she was only loud when we left the room without her, since we were her flock. But now that I have a flock, they squawk up a storm in the mornings! They aren't wanting anything, they just like being noisy. They settle down after a few hours though, especially if I'm in there and talking to them and rubbing their heads.

It honestly depends on the bird, though. Because even in the flock, my first tiel, Cookie, is mostly silent. She's just not much of a talker. She's also very much a loner, and prefers it when I take her out of the room to spend alone time with me or when I'm just rubbing her head, trying to ignore the others wanting their share. If you have at least three hours in a day to spend time with your tiel, it won't hurt to get just one. They will just want to be your companion for almost everything, always riding around on your shoulder and getting into your business. But if you have school or work, just like every other human, then get at least two. Granted, they will still need attention. Tiels, from my experience, are very "flock oriented" birds.

Like I said, this is just my opinion. I've had tiels for twelve (almost thirteen) years now, so I'd like to think I have at least some experience with them.

Thank you! And yes, we will be able to spend lots of time with it so that's no biggie. We might have to look at the tiels individually to see what they're like ^^
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dumbdolphin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 am

Ranger of the North wrote:
DumbDolphin wrote:Anyone have any tips of getting a cockatiel or any bird to trust your hand? I've had my cockatiel for about a month now and no matter, he still hates my hand. I know patience is the key and i've been putting my hand on his cage for 10-20 minutes a day while singing a song he really relaxes to. If anyone has any advice that would be wonderful!

Feed him regularly from your hand, rather than the bowl — but first make sure you have plenty of time to keep returning each time he starts acting hungry! c; As he gets more and more used to you, you'll be able to ease-up and leave food in his bowl when he needs it, as you will have already established your trustworthyness cx

Thank you! I will try feeding him off my hand first, then try to get him used to the whole millet stick : )
𝔸
𝕟
𝕘
𝕖
𝕝
𝕤

𝕠
𝕗
𝕋
𝕙
𝕖

𝕊
𝕖
𝕒

╔═══════════╗
hello!
⋅.˳˳.⋅ॱ˙˙ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅ॱ˙˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅
zoology major ‧.°
adult user
╚═══════════╝
Dumbdolphin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ote is away » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:31 am

My conure has been acting strange lately. I think he might have mites but I'm not sure? And is it normal to have him lose a feather and the follicle is still there? he might be molting idk, but I'm scared because I'm new to birds!! What do?
«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅
ote is away

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nyanine » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am

Would talking about pet chickens be allowed here...?
nyanine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:50 pm

saturn; wrote:My conure has been acting strange lately. I think he might have mites but I'm not sure? And is it normal to have him lose a feather and the follicle is still there? he might be molting idk, but I'm scared because I'm new to birds!! What do?

I would think that he is molting from what you are saying. He can lose a feather and the follicle is still there, it just doesn't always happen, ;) feel free to get a second opinion though. If you are worried and he keeps acting this way you can consult your vet or get a special mite/nit spray. That is what we did for our first budgie when we found out he had nits, but we actually saw those with our own eyes so we knew. We also washed him in warm soap water which is what the vet ordered since at that time the vets were closed.

Blackcat110 wrote:Would talking about pet chickens be allowed here...?

NO. They are flightless and fat and squawk way too much.
I'm just kidding :lol: Of course! They're pet birds, aren't they? :D
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nyanine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:11 am

Heh

I had chickens when I was little, their names were CooCoo and Clucker. The weird thing is that Clucker would always make quiet cooing noises while CooCoo was very loud and clucky... it’s almost like they were talking to each other!
nyanine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me