* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Lexi. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Kaizoku wrote:
Lexi</3 wrote:
Kaizoku wrote:
Username: Kaizoku
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 1 harlequin budgie named Gemini!
How long have you had them?: 3 years on Febuary 15th!
What brings you to the bird chat?: I adore birds so it'd be nice to have somewhere to talk about them!

Welcome! And what do you mean by harlequin budgie? Is it a half sider or something? :000

Usually (?) the harlequin label refers to unusual, mutated pied colours on a budgie! She's not a half sider, though those are interesting! I can try and grab a picture of her to show you, she doesn't have very pronounced general patterns on her wings like other budgies. c:

Ahh okay awesome! I'd love to see a pic!

Heres the birds i have:

1 cockatiel
2 conures
And like 20 budgies at the moment (most ive had at 1 time is 40!)
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:00 pm

this is pepsi. the main boy. i love him so much but he loves me more then any of the other budgies. he wont let me go anywhere without him, and if i set him down somewhere and start walking away, he will just fly back to me in less then a sec. he loves landing on peoples heads and shoulders. he also will try to eat ANYTHING im eating. especially chips or seaweed. he also tries to feed me all the time (by regurgitating) ew. but that is a sign that theyre showing their love and affection. lol
He's my precious baby boy. He will be 2 years old on July 23rd. I watched him hatch

He is also trained to fly to me when i call his name or make kissing noise. ❤
Attachments
IMG_20171207_172913_658.jpg
IMG_20171207_172913_658.jpg (480.05 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Since loosing my grey I got a lovebird..what I kept before I got my beloved Smokey. His name is Lief.

I just can't not have a bird.. Lief is a little shy. Very cute.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Aww congrats
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaizoku » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:15 pm

I've got a question for other budgie owners, especially those with females: do you find them to be destructive? My girl has chewed through 2 reasonably thick perches, and broken 2 toys (which were not the easiest things to break), and loves trying to break her ladder. She also eats (more like throws the seeds) reasonable sized seed treats in a day. Not sure if it's normal, this is my first budgie (I owned cockatiels previously). She's 3! Any advice?

nix ♡ he/him
gaming + anime
medical scientist
need help?
newbie guide & index
Kaizoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Kaizoku wrote:
I've got a question for other budgie owners, especially those with females: do you find them to be destructive? My girl has chewed through 2 reasonably thick perches, and broken 2 toys (which were not the easiest things to break), and loves trying to break her ladder. She also eats (more like throws the seeds) reasonable sized seed treats in a day. Not sure if it's normal, this is my first budgie (I owned cockatiels previously). She's 3! Any advice?

Err yes
My females chew EVERYTHING

They've chewed through like 4 bars on their wooden ladder and chewed straight through perches. They've also chewed holes in my walls... Eek.

Might be the males too but I've noticed mostly females do it.

I would advise getting some cuttlebones(she might be looking for calcium)
Or any other chew treats. Theres also chewable perches, i have like 3. They're bretty good sized.

So yea.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, i know almost everything there is to know about them ^-^°
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaizoku » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Lexi</3 wrote:
Kaizoku wrote:

Err yes
My females chew EVERYTHING

They've chewed through like 4 bars on their wooden ladder and chewed straight through perches. They've also chewed holes in my walls... Eek.

Might be the males too but I've noticed mostly females do it.

I would advise getting some cuttlebones(she might be looking for calcium)
Or any other chew treats. Theres also chewable perches, i have like 3. They're bretty good sized.

So yea.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, i know almost everything there is to know about them ^-^°

Okay, that's reasurring thank you. ^^
I've tried her with cuttlefish, she's usually too scared to go near it but I may try to find some smaller pieces - hopefully she won't be as initimdated. I will definitely look out for chewable perches since ruining those seems to be her favourite thing. cx

nix ♡ he/him
gaming + anime
medical scientist
need help?
newbie guide & index
Kaizoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Greenleaf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Hey,

I'm not an official thread member but just came in to ask for some advice, if that's alright.

I own two entirely untamed budgies, an approx. 4-year-old male and an approx. 8-year-old female named Spring and Candy respectively. I posted on this thread before, but basically my male budgie's cere changed colour from blue to brown back in October. The research I did told me that this could be a sign of sickness, so we brought Spring to a vet where he was prescribed some medicine, and where we learned he was severely overweight (46 grams) and needed a diet change.

We finished the medicine schedule a long while ago but I'm still having trouble with changing the budgies' diet from seeds to pellets. We bought Harrison's bird food pellets online since I saw they were recommended (the kind we got was called 'high potency and super fine'?), but I have gone through a whole package already and it seems my birds have been eating very little, if nothing at all, from it. I've tried all sorts of methods to introduce the pellets to them - grinding them up into little bits and putting it with the seeds, and starting in late November I have been very slowly changing out the seeds for the pellets. However, nothing really seems to be working. I have also tried feeding them kale and pepper and they have not tried it either. Spring's cere has also not yet changed back from brown to blue.

Tonight I put nothing but pellets in their food bowls for the first time and will be monitoring their droppings. However, I know I can only do this for one day at most if they continue to refuse eating the pellets. Are there any other things I should try in terms of changing their food? I know on the Harrison's site they have something called "bird bread" that they claim will help with diet conversion, but long story short, I'm still a minor and my parents are kind of pissed/apathetic that the food we ordered online doesn't seem to be working, so I don't think they'll be willing to commit to anything else without solid information. They think I'm making a big deal out of nothing and as a result, don't think anything is wrong and are also unwilling to make any more trips to the vet for advice. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but I've been stressing out over this for months and don't know what to do.

-------'-'------
Chinese ● queer
bi ace ● musician

------------''--
--------------------
#BlackLivesMatter
click here.

--------------------
-----'--'-------
Li 立 ● she/ze ●
student ● writer

-------'----'---
Greenleaf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lexi. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Greenleaf wrote:Hey,

I'm not an official thread member but just came in to ask for some advice, if that's alright.

I own two entirely untamed budgies, an approx. 4-year-old male and an approx. 8-year-old female named Spring and Candy respectively. I posted on this thread before, but basically my male budgie's cere changed colour from blue to brown back in October. The research I did told me that this could be a sign of sickness, so we brought Spring to a vet where he was prescribed some medicine, and where we learned he was severely overweight (46 grams) and needed a diet change.

We finished the medicine schedule a long while ago but I'm still having trouble with changing the budgies' diet from seeds to pellets. We bought Harrison's bird food pellets online since I saw they were recommended (the kind we got was called 'high potency and super fine'?), but I have gone through a whole package already and it seems my birds have been eating very little, if nothing at all, from it. I've tried all sorts of methods to introduce the pellets to them - grinding them up into little bits and putting it with the seeds, and starting in late November I have been very slowly changing out the seeds for the pellets. However, nothing really seems to be working. I have also tried feeding them kale and pepper and they have not tried it either. Spring's cere has also not yet changed back from brown to blue.

Tonight I put nothing but pellets in their food bowls for the first time and will be monitoring their droppings. However, I know I can only do this for one day at most if they continue to refuse eating the pellets. Are there any other things I should try in terms of changing their food? I know on the Harrison's site they have something called "bird bread" that they claim will help with diet conversion, but long story short, I'm still a minor and my parents are kind of pissed/apathetic that the food we ordered online doesn't seem to be working, so I don't think they'll be willing to commit to anything else without solid information. They think I'm making a big deal out of nothing and as a result, don't think anything is wrong and are also unwilling to make any more trips to the vet for advice. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but I've been stressing out over this for months and don't know what to do.

Hi there. It's all good, feel free to come here and ask questions any time.

He does sound pretty overweight. For those who don't know, budgies should be around 36 grams. (all of mine weigh 36 or 34, which is great)

i would advise that you need to let him have alot of veggies and exercise. If he was on an all seed diet, you will have to make changes to pellets and veggies very slowly. any changes need to be made slowly.

Also, i had a male budgie given to me that his cere had turned brown. That is also a sign of cancer (in his male reproductive system) unfortunately he died later on, before i knew that he most likely had cancer in that area. He was pretty old too. But i don't think he was overweight.

Sometimes when animals get neutered or spayed they become overweight. Something could be wrong in that area. I would also advise that maybe you get him checked for cancer. I've never done that though so its up to you.

Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions
Lexi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Kaizoku wrote:
I haven't had any in a cage, but I've had a hen who chewed a hole out of the dead tree in our aviary and made a nest inside it! I wonder if that's what the cheeky bird has in mind? XP

@Greenleaf - probably a dumb question, but worth asking I guess: are you sure he's a he? o,o
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me