* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby found. » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Narnian wrote:
    You called it "mash" - how finely mashed/chopped is it? If it's very finely mashed/chopped (perhaps with a food processor?), the pieces will stick together, so it's harder for them to pick out their favorite without also having a taste of something else.

Like Pyjaks said, you can also try "tasting" the less-favored veggies in front of them; that seems to help a lot of people.

I chopped the fruit into larger pieces, hoping to get some vegetable matter stuck to it and that they'd be willing to eat.
Everything else is somewhat finely chopped? Next time I'll try a food processor and see if they can pick at that.
(Hopefully they'll be willing to try it that way! ;o)

Pyjaks wrote:Ugh, I know the struggle. I've had my quaker for four or five years and he still does this. This might be weird, but if I pretend I'm eating something (usually his veggies that he isn't partial to) he will get much more interested in it and will eat it, even if he ignored it before.

...I know thats probably no help, but it's all I got lmao. Birds can be so picky.

Mm I've definitely done that before, haha!
The first time we offered a piece of pear to our Green Cheek, she just kind of looked at it funny and waddled away.
I took another piece and enthusiastically took a bite.

Immediately she perked up and was willing to nibble on the previously mentioned chunk. She discovered that it was actually quite good! Now she enjoys fruits, fortunately.

Hah my quaker is always way more interested in what we're eating than whatever we give him. He'll try and nab a bite of anything, whether it be an apple or a piece of chocolate, he's after it! (Obviously he never gets any chocolate, or any junk-food for that matter, because we effectively keep it away from him.)

Clever little birds ;v;

==============
DA • commissions open !! for usd/points :>

hi there !! i'm found, and i like musicals (deh, hamilton, newsies, etc.) and music in general?? (the beatles, peach pit, the walters, the smiths, foreigner etc.)

i don't get on too much?? but don't be afraid to say hi i need friends : ))
==============
found.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lennamoo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:12 pm

I have 2 birds that dont get along well. One of them always starts the fight with the other and they hurt each other. :cry:
Lennamoo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby found. » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Lennamoo wrote:I have 2 birds that dont get along well. One of them always starts the fight with the other and they hurt each other. :cry:

Oh dear, that's horrible! What kind of birds are they?
In what sort of situations do they start fighting?

Whenever anything like this happens you need to separate them immediately. Do they have any injuries or is it just little scuffles?

==============
DA • commissions open !! for usd/points :>

hi there !! i'm found, and i like musicals (deh, hamilton, newsies, etc.) and music in general?? (the beatles, peach pit, the walters, the smiths, foreigner etc.)

i don't get on too much?? but don't be afraid to say hi i need friends : ))
==============
found.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoomzoombadaboom » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:44 am

I just moved my budgies Winter and Lemon Pepper to their new cage, and I have good news... I think?
Well, first of all; it turns out they are both females. Both of their ceres have turned brown and rough. So that's good!
But it was a real pain to get them into the new cage. We had to use nets since we couldn't get the cage doors at the right height and they weren't the best shape for it anyways; the base of the new cage sticks out a bit, leaving a little open space between the two for escape.
It was tricky to get Lemon Pepper into the net, obviously. But Winter was even harder. She escaped the cage we were trying to get her out of and she was roaming my room for probably 2-3 hours. My mom was helping me, and even though I didn't completely agree with her, she insisted we chase her around until she gets tired and then catch her. I was afraid she would get hurt, but we finally got her in the new cage with Lemon and they both seem alright. For a while they were traumatized and not getting very close, but then Winter came to check her out and soon they ended up on the same perch. As soon as they were next to each other, Lemon Pepper stretched out her neck and snapped at Winter aggressively. But then Winter got closer and shower her that she meant no harm, and they began preening each other and chattering/clicking affectionately. However, they still squabble occasionally; they haven't made any angry noises but sometimes one or the other will snap or bite at the other and make them step away for a moment. Also, I'm not sure why, but when Winter preens Lemon Pepper, sometimes Winter will put her foot on her side and hold her still, and then Lemon gets mad and scares her off. I also saw Lemon bite Winter's leg due to this, and at the same time I kinda stood up in surprise and Winter flew away; I'm not sure which one of us scared her.
But anyways, does it seem like they're getting along normally? Are they both trying to be the dominant one or something? Or do they seem fine?
At first I was scared and thought they were fighting, but they don't seem to actually be hurting each other. I've never seen budgies do that, so it was a little weird at first.
Sorry for the long post!

Update; They've both put their foot on each other and frustrated the other one now. I'm not sure if they're starting to fight or if Winter thinks Lemon Pepper is a male and wants to breed. I'm almost positive they're both female, though. I also noticed Winter pecking at Lemon Pepper's foot a little bit, but it wasn't harmful. Not sure what's going on.

Update 2; After they have a little fight then just stare at each other with their beaks open and make these really quiet, deep-pitched, squeaky squawk sounds. Are they not getting along now?
i quit cs, if any of my old friends see this, thank u for the memories :)
zoomzoombadaboom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:50 pm

asteroid ricochet. wrote:I just moved my budgies Winter and Lemon Pepper to their new cage, and I have good news... I think?
Well, first of all; it turns out they are both females. Both of their ceres have turned brown and rough. So that's good!
But it was a real pain to get them into the new cage. We had to use nets since we couldn't get the cage doors at the right height and they weren't the best shape for it anyways; the base of the new cage sticks out a bit, leaving a little open space between the two for escape.
It was tricky to get Lemon Pepper into the net, obviously. But Winter was even harder. She escaped the cage we were trying to get her out of and she was roaming my room for probably 2-3 hours. My mom was helping me, and even though I didn't completely agree with her, she insisted we chase her around until she gets tired and then catch her. I was afraid she would get hurt, but we finally got her in the new cage with Lemon and they both seem alright. For a while they were traumatized and not getting very close, but then Winter came to check her out and soon they ended up on the same perch. As soon as they were next to each other, Lemon Pepper stretched out her neck and snapped at Winter aggressively. But then Winter got closer and shower her that she meant no harm, and they began preening each other and chattering/clicking affectionately. However, they still squabble occasionally; they haven't made any angry noises but sometimes one or the other will snap or bite at the other and make them step away for a moment. Also, I'm not sure why, but when Winter preens Lemon Pepper, sometimes Winter will put her foot on her side and hold her still, and then Lemon gets mad and scares her off. I also saw Lemon bite Winter's leg due to this, and at the same time I kinda stood up in surprise and Winter flew away; I'm not sure which one of us scared her.
But anyways, does it seem like they're getting along normally? Are they both trying to be the dominant one or something? Or do they seem fine?
At first I was scared and thought they were fighting, but they don't seem to actually be hurting each other. I've never seen budgies do that, so it was a little weird at first.
Sorry for the long post!

Update; They've both put their foot on each other and frustrated the other one now. I'm not sure if they're starting to fight or if Winter thinks Lemon Pepper is a male and wants to breed. I'm almost positive they're both female, though. I also noticed Winter pecking at Lemon Pepper's foot a little bit, but it wasn't harmful. Not sure what's going on.

Update 2; After they have a little fight then just stare at each other with their beaks open and make these really quiet, deep-pitched, squeaky squawk sounds. Are they not getting along now?

Glad to see they are both females! Sometimes my two female budgies (Blue and Olive) will "argue" with each other, throwing their beaks at each other and squawking loudly- but never really causing damage, just chasing each other off perches. This is normal with birds, especially budgies, but if they start to attack each other daily they'll definitely have to be separated. While molting they'll be especially badly behaved, maybe that's what is happening. However, you should never chase a budgie until they are tired. The only reason a scared budgie will stop moving is because if they fly any more, they'll pass out. It can put massive stress on the budgie to the point of killing it. If there's ever an escaped budgie, best thing to do is leave their cage open and they will fly right back in after an hour or so.
----------
Finally got photos of the doves, Here's the hen...

Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cat;; » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Beautiful doves you have there! I have always been fond of doves and pigeons!

If harm is coming from two birds fighting, AKA blood or loss of feathers please separate them immediately, your birds will not hesitate to kill each other.. unfortunately it happens all the time. Sometimes birds just don't get along well and there's nothing we can really do about it
cat;;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:46 pm

@asteroid ricochet.
I've heard that males are a lot more cheerful and friendly than females; sometimes my birds seem to get a little confused, too, and try to mate a 'taken' bird or something XD For now their behaviour sounds normal to me, but maybe just keep an eye on them 'til they settle-down ;)

Squidge, she's such a beauty! <3
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tabbster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks! The others look pretty much identical to her, somehow I can still tell them apart though. :lol: Going to have some eggs soon, and hopefully get some birds banded! Speaking of which, I have some Diamond Doves hatching today/tomorrow. The baby in the photo kind of camouflages and you can also see his sibling hatching out. No clue what's going on with the dark egg, possibly going to have the three musketeers there. That or a rotten egg. Kind of hoping he doesn't hatch though. Two hens laid their eggs in one nest, now the male is the main caretaker... oh well.

Tabbster

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wolf? » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Squidge n' Such wrote:Thanks! The others look pretty much identical to her, somehow I can still tell them apart though. :lol: Going to have some eggs soon, and hopefully get some birds banded! Speaking of which, I have some Diamond Doves hatching today/tomorrow. The baby in the photo kind of camouflages and you can also see his sibling hatching out. No clue what's going on with the dark egg, possibly going to have the three musketeers there. That or a rotten egg. Kind of hoping he doesn't hatch though. Two hens laid their eggs in one nest, now the male is the main caretaker... oh well.

How cute! Good luck to the poor male!
To all of my rps; I've been having lots of depression and anxiety issues lately and will tend to disappear for a week or so, so please be patient! I did not forget about you, I just don't have the will in me to get on every day. I will try to reply once or twice a week.
Throw me to the wolves
Tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack!
wolf?

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoomzoombadaboom » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:28 am

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm pretty sure everything is going well between the two now; they preen/scratch each others' heads (gently, no damage), fluff up and sleep next to each other, and feed each other. I had to add an extra food bowl because I saw Lemon Pepper becoming territorial over the one, but now they are sharing and feeding each other afterwards (which looks so weird, oh my gosh).
They do snap at each other a bit now and then and get into tiny fights, but they don't actually hurt each other as far as I can tell. They haven't made any really alarming sounds other than the occasional normal squawk. They still have to adjust to having each other there, it's only been a couple days. Still, I'll be keeping a close eye on them if they start acting differently.
i quit cs, if any of my old friends see this, thank u for the memories :)
zoomzoombadaboom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me