* Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What is your favorite fruit/veggie to feed your birds?

quinoa
7%
cucumber
12%
strawberry
20%
carrot
12%
jalapeno
6%
sweet peppers
5%
corn
9%
grapes
13%
rice
8%
sprouts
8%

Total votes : 826

Re: * Pet Bird Chat * NEW

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:09 am

LeiaWolfe wrote:Hi there!!! Soooo we went to the breeder and after a while, we got a 4-6 week old budgie! We just brought him home and we're just inspecting him right now, my dad noticed that his feet (his toes) are actually all facing forward, instead of two forward, two back and so he can't stand on the perch!! (At the breeder's he and his sibling (sister?) were sitting on the ground and their parents on a perch). My dad is thinking he should like tape a pole or something onto his foot? Hopefully the bones have not gotten used to all toes facing forward...

But other than that we're pretty sure he's healthy? He's really tiny XD and he's blue and white. Still haven't got a name.
Far out, that's pretty young. Wonder if it's an age-thing. I wouldn't think so, but then my budgies breed in a tree where I can't see, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kaizoku » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:57 pm

ryukrem wrote:
      Hi guys.

My girlfriend is really interested in getting a bird. We are animal lovers and currently have six geckos, five rats, and three cats, as well as my horse. We are perfectly capable of adding more to the list of pets to love.

Suggestions for a first pet bird? Breed, gender, tips and tricks? We will be doing heavy research once we figure out which kind we are going with.

I'd honestly suggest just going for a budgie as a first bird. Of course they still have needs like any other pet, but they're probably the easiest bird to keep if you don't have much experience. They have pretty diverse personalities, and are pretty funny.
Make sure to get a decent sized cage (not the small ones you see canaries shoved inside in pet stores), and decent sized toys (nothing overly big - usually toys will say if they're for larger parrots). Try not to get anything too shiny/or mirrors, they generally turn the birds antisocial! Even bells can do this (my budgie spends all day cuddled up to one bell as it was decently shiny - while it looks cute I'd rather her be more social). Other things like cuttlefish and millet spray at good for them as well, and you should include appropriate fruit and veg into their diets as well. c:

Also for the toys - toys such as balls on the bottom of the cage are good as well! My budgie loves hanging out of the bottom of her cage, so having toys down there she can play with are great. We also got a little bird bath for her (she has a seperate water bowl) so she has the ability to stretch out and get clean!

nix ♡ he/him
gaming + anime
medical scientist
need help?
newbie guide & index
Kaizoku

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaidofHeart » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm

I’m so far behind on updates but Oof. So my three cockatiels didn’t work out, they had really bad behavioral issues and were starting to bully my Sun Conure. So, I had to give them back to the shelter (they were promptly adopted by children under 10, but that’s a rant for a different time) and I had the chance to adopt a lovely Marroon Bellied Conure. I fell in love with him and fought for a long time to adopt him. I visited him every time the shelter was open and then that paid off! We got him! And now I’m questioning whether he is actually a she. Yikes. His name is Baby and I will be getting a test soon to see the gender due to the Sun Conure being a male. Hopefully we don’t have many problems. He can talk too which isn’t common at all for these types of conures. My sun was more likely to talk than him which is funny. Anyway, any ideas on what saying or such I can teach him to say? He so far knows “Baby”, “Thank you”, “Waddup”, and can wolf whistle. Silly guy even tries to mimic my sun.

MaidofHeart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MaidofHeart » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:42 pm

ryukrem wrote:
      Hi guys.

My girlfriend is really interested in getting a bird. We are animal lovers and currently have six geckos, five rats, and three cats, as well as my horse. We are perfectly capable of adding more to the list of pets to love.

Suggestions for a first pet bird? Breed, gender, tips and tricks? We will be doing heavy research once we figure out which kind we are going with.

(Double post but oh well)
I’d suggest looking around! My first was a sun conure (not as easy as I thought and took a lot of work to get him trained). Look into some types, definitely go for a medium to small as for size.

Cockatiels have a reputation for being cute, being on the easier side to train, and even can learn to whistle tunes (they’re mostly known for whistles and not speaking, but you can try to get them to talk.) Males also have a reputation for being a little bit more talkative. Also, birds need a ton of time and it’s more than you think. They also need someone who isn’t afraid to get bit and usually only bond to one person!

Keep in mind that there are a few birds that are social birds, such as cockatiels who can definitely learn to love more than one person. Budgies are also common, but they’re a little more of looking birds than touching birds (some dedicated people have trained them to step up and such so it’s not impossible to make them more fun). Finches and canaries are also not the way to go if you want a bird to play with. I have seen doves can be good birds too. A theater kid I know has one and I’ve heard they rarely bite due to their soft beaks.

Tips and tricks, if you want to get them to talk I’ve heard a frequent trick going around; record yourself saying something you want to hear or just look for it on YouTube and play it on a loop when you’re gone! Birds also tend to say things when you’re not around. Also, adopt don’t shop. Please, look for a shelter around and only shop if there is no other way. I’ve seen too many birds at my shelter that were great birds that just have never been researched into when bought. Do as much research as possible. Even after you find a bird you like. Make sure all dangerous items are put away when they’re out and there’s a lot! Even things you didn’t think of like plants. There are other things like buying cages big enough that the bird is able to spread their wings, and even getting a bigger cage is even more fun. They need lots of toys. Keep them off seed based diets and try to move towards pellet diets. No, birds cannot be placed in the same cage unless they are bonded and are there (I’ve seen it happen with birds that aren’t even the same kind) or they’re the same type usually. Ex. Cockatiel + cockatiel is good, but Budgie+cockatiel is not. I have plenty more of you have questions. Just ask!
MaidofHeart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryukrem » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:31 am

@Kaizoku @MaidofHeart

Thank you both for your input! Cockatiel or Budgie I think is the way we are going to go. We are going to do some extensive research first of course and will probably wait until Spring. We definitely want something that can bond to the both of us and that could chill out on our shoulders and such and likes receive affection.

As for cage sizes, trust me, I know the situation with that. We have rats and I see so many people put their rats in tiny cages and it breaks my heart. Don't worry, we will ensure the bird we get gets the best care possible. Caring for different animals isn't an issue as we have the rats and geckos which are more difficult than your average cat.

We don't have any shelters around here, only those with dogs and cats and occasionally a parrot or two will pop up. We might look on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist) to see if there are any on there as well, as a majority of the time those animals aren't taken care of. That's where I got my first two rats who I basically rescued from a rough situation.

Thanks again!

ryukrem - lesbian - taken <3

prefer to roleplay off site. pm me.

roleplay search
ryukrem

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dumezil » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Ooh, glad to have found this.

Username: Redwyn
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 4 (Black capped caique, green cheek conure, quaker, and parrotlet)
How long have you had them?: The oldest I've had for seven years, the youngest is six months old. I have owned parrots before them.
What brings you to the bird chat?: Love of birds and interest in discussing them.
Dumezil

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby peachyykat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:34 am

Redwyn wrote:Ooh, glad to have found this.

Username: Redwyn
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): 4 (Black capped caique, green cheek conure, quaker, and parrotlet)
How long have you had them?: The oldest I've had for seven years, the youngest is six months old. I have owned parrots before them.
What brings you to the bird chat?: Love of birds and interest in discussing them.

aaah welcome! i also have a parrotlet and i love him to death

since the thing perhaps is to eat flowers and not to be afraid - e.e. cummings

peachyykat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby leiawolfe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Hello everybody ("":

I just have some really sad news that I felt like I might wanna share.
My budgie, (we were gonna call him Sky) passed away last night or this morning, most likely due to stress. There were several things wrong with him (bent feet, blood wing) as well.
Apparently, a few days ago, the breeder called my grandma and said something like 'if the bird dies you can have a free one'.
Now I don't want to say anything nasty, but I was kind of mad. The 'free one' would be his sister, who most likely will have all four toes facing forward as well, unable to perch. She'll probably have blood wing as well. Oh, and plus, she's a female XD

If we do get another budgie, I'm going to tell my parents to not get a budgie from that breeder..
leah
australia
she/her
talk to me about anything and everything, my dms are always open !! sig is a wip ^^
leiawolfe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:27 pm

LeiaWolfe wrote:Hello everybody ("":

I just have some really sad news that I felt like I might wanna share.
My budgie, (we were gonna call him Sky) passed away last night or this morning, most likely due to stress. There were several things wrong with him (bent feet, blood wing) as well.
Apparently, a few days ago, the breeder called my grandma and said something like 'if the bird dies you can have a free one'.
Now I don't want to say anything nasty, but I was kind of mad. The 'free one' would be his sister, who most likely will have all four toes facing forward as well, unable to perch. She'll probably have blood wing as well. Oh, and plus, she's a female XD

If we do get another budgie, I'm going to tell my parents to not get a budgie from that breeder..
Ugh, that sucks. At least you were able to give him a happy rest-of-his-life, though; who knows where he would have gone otherwise?! I hope you can find a good bird :I
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby R e f r a c t i o n » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:41 am

Username: icecreammia3
How many birds do you own? ( if applicable ): one
How long have you had them?: a couple months
What brings you to the bird chat?: I have a budgie named Chi-Chi. She's close to being a year old, but we've only had her for a few months. I've been trying to tame her and I can hand feed her from a reasonable distance and occassionally stroke her stomach. I'm a bit lost as I don'tknow where to go from here. Any advice? Thanks in advance :3
╔═══════════════╗╚═══════════════╝
╔═══════════════════════════╗
aries sun cancer moon leo rising
she/her
i get nervous when talking to people sometimes
please be patient with me<3
crystal collector
╚═══════════════════════════╝

R e f r a c t i o n

My pets
My items
My wishlist