HELP, MY RAT IS EATING HER BABIES!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: HELP, MY RAT IS EATING HER BABIES!

Postby crescanda » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:30 pm

omg that's really sad but i think animals dont kill their young, mayb they died she just ate them cos they were just dead meet.
DONT SEPERATE THEM its really not safe. i agree with the othor people upthere.
HI U ALL. ITS CRESCANDA HERE!!!! UR FAVOURITE PERSON.
I HAVE AFURSONA NOW, SHE'S RAELLY PRETTY, CALLED ICEY. NOT ICY, ICEY. HOW EPIC IS THAT??????????????
MY FREND IS FLY AND I GO ON HER COMPUTER SOMETIMES. :DDDDD DON'T BAN ME
crescanda

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby renki » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:04 am

please do not listen to Crescanda...

Crescanda there are reasons of why these rats are dieing.....mothers leave their babys when they become of age in all animals...you may not want to believe it but it is true.

Cats run off their young, and so do dogs....male lions run off the male offspring the mother has had so that he does not take over the pride. All animal run off their young. My grandpa has a mom cat and a dad cat that he has been un able to get...Mom cat has kittens but keeps daddy cat away. After the babys become of age and she is getting ready to have new kittens she runs them off. Seeing as the rats are confined mom rat does what she has to to keep herself alive and read when there is a new set coming.

DO seperate them because soon you are going to be inbreeding and the babys will come out with health problems...or mom will get rid of them for you
''I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back.'' -Doug
Its time for childish people to get off the computer and take a nap
I have woken up into a family that gives you a pat on the back and says this is the real world get use to it
renki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:13 pm

No offense Renki, but only the males need to be removed, and not until 5 weeks of age, 4.5 if you want to be extra safe. It is unsafe and unfair to remove them before that, and the females may stay with the mother permantently. However, if you have too small of a cage, the rats will fight. The males can be kept as a Mischief, and so can the females (SEPERATLY), in a large cage. (a mischief is a group of rats)

-I moderate a rat forum.-
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby renki » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:35 pm

If you read the post before it I stated to have them all separated from each other. Males in one cage, females in another, and keep mommy by herself. I was advicing to sperate them all because of inbreeding, and the fact that a member posted no to separate them...which could lead to problems. My family has bred many different types of animals...wisely of course...plus we track them and we are able to get them back if we find there is any signs of abuse. We are able to get them back if you can no longer take care of them and have to get rid of them. We also have all our animals registered if we breed...we only breed if we know we have propper homes for every baby. Also before breeding both parents are put threw tests for hip problems, any case of blindness that could happen to pass down to the babys, also the same for the ears.
The only animal we did not see coming was the hamsters...the store said they were both male...bring them home and ones male and ones female....so we had to end that quickly. But we have bred goats, horses, once cats, dogs are our main deal, we did do a bird once, fish, right now we have sea horses which is done by another family member. I plan to get one of the babys to go with the fish tank in the office...so cute that little dickens!
After babys have gone over to solids we separate them...well if they are a rodent or cat...goats are okay because we only keep females and one wethered male. The horses were able to take care of themselves seeing at the stallions were kept down the road. As for the dogs the male pups are removed after they are weened and on solid food. As for the girls they are aloud until one starts to show signs of problems and wants to fight for pack rank in which we wont allow them to have the chance to duke it out for who is 'alpha'. We have a strick no animal agrestion and work out the problem by propper training but we would never trust them alone

Also if the mother is killing them off it is time to remove them....if they are on solids and the mother is doing that....its time.
''I've been listening to the music, and I have to go see what it's like. Maybe I'll value what I have more when I come back.'' -Doug
I have woken up into a family that gives you a pat on the back and says this is the real world get use to it
renki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby plantfaun » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:23 pm

what I recomend is that she has rabis mabye but you should put them in a separet cage or keep an eye out for rabie sighns if she does again put the rat in a different cage and the babi rat left alone every day you should check on the also give them a heating lamp and some milk every day that;; help them till ther old enough to be with their mom
plantfaun

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby renki » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Povegila wrote:what I recomend is that she has rabis mabye but you should put them in a separet cage or keep an eye out for rabie sighns if she does again put the rat in a different cage and the babi rat left alone every day you should check on the also give them a heating lamp and some milk every day that;; help them till ther old enough to be with their mom

Thats it they are already on solids so they are okay to be pulled away from the mother
renki

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WinterSkyWolf » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for helping, but its too late, they all died... :cry: I tried seperating them but they wouldnt eat, so i put them back with there mother and they seemed ok, until they started getting weak and wouldnt walk. I realised that the mother wasnt killing them, but just eating the dead bodies... My mom was too selfish to take them to the vet. I still dont know how they got sick, but it doesnt matter now, they are in a better place now :cry:
My Blog: http://iwillchaseawaythedarkness.tumblr.com/

Used to be animalsrock345375
Avatar made by Peace-wolf on Deviantart
WinterSkyWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Could you perhaps post pictures of the babies or tell us something about the appearance before they died, the colours of them, anything of the sort? They could have had Megacolon. It will kill babies at that age very quickly.
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Masquerade » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:12 am

If the mom is eating them as they are alive, sometimes her senses tell her that the baby is sick and it could make the others sick, or the baby won't make it.

Thats what I know
hello!! i am retired, but feel free to message me if you ever need some help <3
Helpful links for New Members!
Adopt a Newbie - Newbie Guide & Index - Help Tickets - GHAA: Free Pets for Newbies
Lady Masquerade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WinterSkyWolf » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47 am

I dont have any pictures of the babies, i didnt take any but i can describe how they acted:

Before they started getting sick, they were happy and active, eating lots and running around exploring. But then when they started getting sick, they got weak and wanted to sleep a lot. They wouldnt eat much, only slightly nibble on carrots or other food, and suck from their mother a bit. At first it was only 1 or 2 that were sick, then it spread to them all exept the mother. Then a couple hours before they would die, they would lie on their side and not move, their breathing would slow. Then the moment when they were about to die, they would gasp for breath, then die... :cry:

Im still sad about it, i feel like it was my fault and that i could have done something to help :cry: I tried force feeding them when they wouldnt eat, but it didnt work... I always made sure they were warm too...
My Blog: http://iwillchaseawaythedarkness.tumblr.com/

Used to be animalsrock345375
Avatar made by Peace-wolf on Deviantart
WinterSkyWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me