Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 500

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Naeco » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:44 am

Naeco wrote:So, this is very interesting. I have an Albino Tiger Barb and this fish has been doing just fine for about a year and a half. Happy, very active, playing with the Serpaes, etc. On Friday, he started swimming as if an anchor got stuck in his mouth. He was swimming around but his head was straight down. I did not bother him as he was still eating, swimming, etc and the other fish were not bothered by him and there was no other physical indicators of him being sick. The odd thing is, I got home from school today, and he is just fine. He sometimes tilts his head down a bit like he is going to swim that way again, but rights himself out quickly. I find this very odd but I am happy he seems to be doing ok.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:16 am

We were going to set our 15 gallon back up but it ended up having a deep scratch that we don't trust. So we bought a new tank instead. It's 87 litres/23 gallons. Thinking of putting a school of cories and a school of something else.
Any stocking ideas? c:

The Enchantress wrote:Quick questions
Guppies:
I'm slightly mad at my male guppy, he and three girls live in a 10 Gallon with a fry the fry is in a breeder box, don't worry XD), he's supposed to be a guppy mass producer, but so far he hasn't gotten any girls pregnant (two of the three girls were already pregnant when I bought them). Guppies are supposed to be mass breeders, but he just isn't budging. (I'm getting slightly aggravated at him because I'm trying to purposefully breed them). One of the ideas I had was to buy one or two other males and put them in my 8 gallon along with some tetras and a platie (see below for more info on my platie). I would then rotate them ever month or so so they each got a chance wth the ladies. Would this work? And is there any way to make my male more 'active'?

:D Sure he's a male? Is he ignoring the females or displaying breeding behaviour? He could also be sterile.

Second questions:
My platy lives alone with some tetras. She is the sole survivor of a outbreak of some kind of sickness back when I had 8 platies (RIP!). If I brought in the guppies to live wth her, would she feel less lonley? Or would I have to buy her a platy companion?

You can put them together in that they probably won't be aggressive but social fish prefer to be with their own kind so it wouldn't necessarily help with the 'loneliness'.

Third question:
My school of three black neon tetras live on my 8 gallon with my platy- I'm starting to get afraid because they are around 2 years old, and they are getting old. I don't want the group to be less than two, but I don't know what I would do with the last two. I don't want to buy more because I'm now turning to live bearers, but I Sk t want them to feel depressed. Is there a good solution to this?

Bad news is that 3 is too small of a school anyway :c They do best kept in groups of 6 or more and need at least 20 gallons. Good news is that black neons can live over 5 years so you could always see if a fish shop will take them from you.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Lonin wrote:We were going to set our 15 gallon back up but it ended up having a deep scratch that we don't trust. So we bought a new tank instead. It's 87 litres/23 gallons. Thinking of putting a school of cories and a school of something else.
Any stocking ideas? c:

The Enchantress wrote:Quick questions
Guppies:
I'm slightly mad at my male guppy, he and three girls live in a 10 Gallon with a fry the fry is in a breeder box, don't worry XD), he's supposed to be a guppy mass producer, but so far he hasn't gotten any girls pregnant (two of the three girls were already pregnant when I bought them). Guppies are supposed to be mass breeders, but he just isn't budging. (I'm getting slightly aggravated at him because I'm trying to purposefully breed them). One of the ideas I had was to buy one or two other males and put them in my 8 gallon along with some tetras and a platie (see below for more info on my platie). I would then rotate them ever month or so so they each got a chance wth the ladies. Would this work? And is there any way to make my male more 'active'?

:D Sure he's a male? Is he ignoring the females or displaying breeding behaviour? He could also be sterile.

Second questions:
My platy lives alone with some tetras. She is the sole survivor of a outbreak of some kind of sickness back when I had 8 platies (RIP!). If I brought in the guppies to live wth her, would she feel less lonley? Or would I have to buy her a platy companion?

You can put them together in that they probably won't be aggressive but social fish prefer to be with their own kind so it wouldn't necessarily help with the 'loneliness'.

Third question:
My school of three black neon tetras live on my 8 gallon with my platy- I'm starting to get afraid because they are around 2 years old, and they are getting old. I don't want the group to be less than two, but I don't know what I would do with the last two. I don't want to buy more because I'm now turning to live bearers, but I Sk t want them to feel depressed. Is there a good solution to this?

Bad news is that 3 is too small of a school anyway :c They do best kept in groups of 6 or more and need at least 20 gallons. Good news is that black neons can live over 5 years so you could always see if a fish shop will take them from you.

Guppies: Update: I have seen my male try to mate with a couple of the girls! I was so happy c:. He very bad at it though, he goes in for a second and dabs at them with his gonopodium then backs out. It's obvious he's simply inexperienced. It's possible when I got him he was just young and now he's matured quite a bit. What does guppy breeding behaviour look like? He honestly just comes up behind them at random times. Sorry, I'm new to breeding guppies.
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 am

Floofems<3 wrote:I finally have enough money to properly set up my 30 gallon (to buy the filters and decorations etc) but first I just have one question; the lid for the tank is made of wood, so do I have to waterproof it before I fill the tank? Thank you!
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby boston » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Floofems<3 wrote:
Floofems<3 wrote:I finally have enough money to properly set up my 30 gallon (to buy the filters and decorations etc) but first I just have one question; the lid for the tank is made of wood, so do I have to waterproof it before I fill the tank? Thank you!

I personally would, assuming that wood naturally absorbs water it could make things complicated and a source for more bacteria to grow.
be kind to others ♡
she/her
vet tech

ImageImageImage
boston

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Floofems<3 wrote:

You sure it's wood and not plastic that looks wood? Wood lid just in general sounds quite odd to me... If it was store bought set and not diy-made, then it should be just fine. Bigger Juwel tanks for example have the edge of the lid looking like wood (not sure if it's actual wood or plastic), but you don't need to do anything to it.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm

Our loaches love hanging out in the cabomba
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:46 am

I purchased two guppies 4 days ago and put them into one of my cycled 10 gallons with a female betta (she is extremely docile and doesn't bother them). Today I noticed that one of the guppies was pineconing. None of the other tank mates. Just the guppy. I'm guessing that it's dropsy.

Just tested the water and here are the results:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5.0
pH = 6.8

Is this my fault, or could this be from a bacterial infection that my guppy picked up at the pet store? I've taken the sick guppy out and into a hospital tank, but are my other fish still at risk? If so, what should I do? I'm feeling quite devastated. It's going to be hard enough losing one fish. I really don't want to lose anymore, and especially not my betta. I've had her for years. :c
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:12 am

@Lonin: Aw, they are so cute. c:

Kat wrote:I purchased two guppies 4 days ago and put them into one of my cycled 10 gallons with a female betta (she is extremely docile and doesn't bother them). Today I noticed that one of the guppies was pineconing. None of the other tank mates. Just the guppy. I'm guessing that it's dropsy.

Just tested the water and here are the results:

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5.0
pH = 6.8

Is this my fault, or could this be from a bacterial infection that my guppy picked up at the pet store? I've taken the sick guppy out and into a hospital tank, but are my other fish still at risk? If so, what should I do? I'm feeling quite devastated. It's going to be hard enough losing one fish. I really don't want to lose anymore, and especially not my betta. I've had her for years. :c

Considering there's nothing odd about your water parameters (nitrate is also quite low, so unlikely water change rutine problem), none of the other fishes are showing symptoms and this was very recently bought fish, I'd say the fish likely had issues before you got it and they flared up probably due moving stress. So your other fish are likely safe, but I'd keep an extra eye on the other guppy you got just incase. You can try treat the sick fish with some strong antibacterial medicine, but usually when they are already pineconing there's little that can be done... :\
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:44 pm

Hime wrote:Considering there's nothing odd about your water parameters (nitrate is also quite low, so unlikely water change rutine problem), none of the other fishes are showing symptoms and this was very recently bought fish, I'd say the fish likely had issues before you got it and they flared up probably due moving stress. So your other fish are likely safe, but I'd keep an extra eye on the other guppy you got just incase. You can try treat the sick fish with some strong antibacterial medicine, but usually when they are already pineconing there's little that can be done... :\

Oh, okay. Thank you for letting me know. I'm glad to at least know that it likely isn't an issue with my own tank. The guppy is still alive and I'm trying to save her even though I know that it's probably too late. I purchased some Marineland all-in-one-remedy tablets because it says that it treats bacterial infections. I doubt that it'll do anything, but I figured that it might be worth a try.

I also bought it because I've observed my second guppy rubbing against the plants and I think that she might have ick? Should I treat my 10 gallon also just to be safe, and should I be worried about the filter media? I don't want to destroy the beneficial bacteria in there...

Also, if my guppy does indeed die and I am left with just one, do you think that she will be okay with just the female betta as a companion? She and the betta have grown surprisingly close, but she did seem to panic a bit when her guppy sister was suddenly missing. I feel so bad and I wouldn't want her to be lonely, but I'd also be a bit worried to go out and buy another guppy now after all of this. I wouldn't want to unknowingly introduce yet another problem to my tank.

I apologize for all of these questions. I am a first time guppy owner and it is just not going well for me so far. :c
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me