Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby deadroses. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:07 am

Oh also, can i put zebra nerite snails in with him without a log for them to climb on? It’s a 3.5 gallon tank.
FREE PALESTINE

intj Image
F1, noah kahan, camus, hozier, AM, grishaverse, marvel AOS, young royals, p!@td, palaye royale
Image Image
deadroses.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowseph » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 am

deadroses. wrote:So ive never had this problem before but my betta wont eat bloodworms and always swims away when i walk over. I tried cutting thr bloodworms up but i dont think he ate them that way either. What do u reccomend?

I recommend soaking the bloodworms in garlic! Bettas are usually attracted to the strong natural scent. I usually take a little tank water, frozen bloodworms, and a clove of garlic that I'll crush. I'll let it thaw and soak. Also, if you don't already, I recommend wiggly the bloodworm a bit with tweezers!
deadroses. wrote:Oh also, can i put zebra nerite snails in with him without a log for them to climb on? It’s a 3.5 gallon tank.

As long as there are plenty of hiding spaces for the nerite snail! I recommend filling at least half, although preferable two-thirds, the tank with plants and hides. I haven't had any issues with bettas attacking or flaring at snails, but my friend has had a betta who would flare at the snails. My betta Frost has lived with a nerite snail, a mystery snail, and various bladder snails throughout the time I've had him, and there have never been any issues.

Also, I would only recommend one nerite snail for a 3.5 gallon, unless your tank has an abundance of live plants to keep the nitrates under control. They produce more waste than one might think. Pothos, a common houseplant, actually are really good for sucking up nitrates! Just stick the roots in your tank and it'll help quite a bit. :0 Don't submerge the leaves though!
    i'm not that active... i pop in every now and then out of boredom or nostalgia.
    i'm keeping my stuff unless otherwise stated.

he/they. queer. adult. multi&mixed media artist.
    discord: eat_plant
Snowseph

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deadroses. » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 am

Snowseph wrote:
deadroses. wrote:So ive never had this problem before but my betta wont eat bloodworms and always swims away when i walk over. I tried cutting thr bloodworms up but i dont think he ate them that way either. What do u reccomend?

I recommend soaking the bloodworms in garlic! Bettas are usually attracted to the strong natural scent. I usually take a little tank water, frozen bloodworms, and a clove of garlic that I'll crush. I'll let it thaw and soak. Also, if you don't already, I recommend wiggly the bloodworm a bit with tweezers!
deadroses. wrote:Oh also, can i put zebra nerite snails in with him without a log for them to climb on? It’s a 3.5 gallon tank.

As long as there are plenty of hiding spaces for the nerite snail! I recommend filling at least half, although preferable two-thirds, the tank with plants and hides. I haven't had any issues with bettas attacking or flaring at snails, but my friend has had a betta who would flare at the snails. My betta Frost has lived with a nerite snail, a mystery snail, and various bladder snails throughout the time I've had him, and there have never been any issues.

Also, I would only recommend one nerite snail for a 3.5 gallon, unless your tank has an abundance of live plants to keep the nitrates under control. They produce more waste than one might think. Pothos, a common houseplant, actually are really good for sucking up nitrates! Just stick the roots in your tank and it'll help quite a bit. :0 Don't submerge the leaves though!

TANK UUUU
FREE PALESTINE

intj Image
F1, noah kahan, camus, hozier, AM, grishaverse, marvel AOS, young royals, p!@td, palaye royale
Image Image
deadroses.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby deadroses. » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:15 am

hey, my betta still isn’t eating bloodworms... any other tips?
Or other treats?
FREE PALESTINE

intj Image
Image Image
deadroses.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:44 am

deadroses. wrote:hey, my betta still isn’t eating bloodworms... any other tips?
Or other treats?

Maybe try pellets or flakes? While those are not ideal, it is much better than not eating at all.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:43 am

deadroses. wrote:hey, my betta still isn’t eating bloodworms... any other tips?
Or other treats?

Could be that he's never had any (so he's not used to them/doesn't know what to do with them, I had tetras act like that with pellets at first) or that he's not that hungry. You could fast him couple days to build up his hunger and try again, or offer him some other food to see if he likes that better. There really isn't a reason why he absolutely would need to eat bloodworms specifically, so if he's not into them I'd try feeding something else.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Checkinder » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Oh gosh I finally got a gravel vacuum and went to clean up my goldfish tank and lemme tell you my back has never hurt this bad from water changes before. I had so much more dirty water than before I feel so guilty for not picking one up sooner!
Hopefully they'll be happier and healthier now that a fair amount of waste is gone. I'll have to go back in next water change and try to get as much as I can but I didn't want to get it all at once and throw off their water.

Tomorrow I'll try it on the bettas, hopefully they'll be easier and less dirty l0c I'm exhausted.
Check - He/They/It

If you need to contact me quickly, my Discord is
Checkinder#6566
Trading all my pets for C$ and all Store Pets for
character art. DM me if you'd like to offer art/etc
for the Store Pets.
My Kalons

Art by friend on Discord
Checkinder

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Naeco » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:52 pm

Checkinder wrote:
Oh gosh I finally got a gravel vacuum and went to clean up my goldfish tank and lemme tell you my back has never hurt this bad from water changes before. I had so much more dirty water than before I feel so guilty for not picking one up sooner!
Hopefully they'll be happier and healthier now that a fair amount of waste is gone. I'll have to go back in next water change and try to get as much as I can but I didn't want to get it all at once and throw off their water.

Tomorrow I'll try it on the bettas, hopefully they'll be easier and less dirty l0c I'm exhausted.

Honestly, I do gravel vacuums with every water change. I use the gravel vacuum to do the water changes. That is always how I've kept the water clean. Now, only if those snails would get to making babies so that I wouldn't have to clean the glass every other dang day.

** I have already checked the numbers: everything is perfect. And my lighting schedule is during the day and not at night so I don't know.
Links
http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3303502
MainThingaMajiger

Pets

Maple Creek
Naeco

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trphlthdl » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:56 am

I wouldn't recommend it since zebra nerites, like many snails, are very very good at 'making waste'. I'm cleaning my 5.5 twice a week with 1 betta and 1 nerite. If you're going to add snails I'd recommend a tank upgrade.

As for cooperating, my girl Iris completely ignores the nerite, but I've heard some betters do harass snails. Kinda just depends on the betta you've got.
Trphlthdl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Valac » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:41 am

Hello! By chance does anyone know a good way to lower pH in an aquarium? My pH is currently at 9.0 where I need it at about 7.0

Thanks!

Returning player. Not sure whats going on anymore
Valac

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me