Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby jayus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:09 am

Leafy. wrote:guys I'm going to cry omg
My iguana got out of his room and decided to take a dump in one of my fish tanks, if you know iguanas you'll know that their poop as a whole is nowhere near solid besides the poop itself, bundles of mucus and white stuff come out white stuff come out with it, best way I could describe it is bird poop just ten times bigger
He apparently unplugged the filter in the tank too, and I've taken the betta and guppies out of it and drained it and refilled it already, but I'm pretty sure all the good bacteria is dead bc the filter was unplugged for a few hours, aaa frackin giant poopy lizard messin things up again omg
I don't know what I'm going to do, maybe buy some of that instant like cycle bacteria or something

If your filter didn't dry out, it should be fine. If not, move the filter media to another tank, that'll get it started.
jayus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scuttlefish » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:14 am

Hello! So I finally got a 55 gallon tank, and I need some advice.
It's a Marineland kit, came with a heater, lights, and a filter. The filter is a Penguin one, with 350 GPH. Will that be enough for this tank? Has anyone had any problems with Penguin filters that I might need to look out for? And does anyone know how fast/strong the flow is?
heater questions. It's 200w, and would it work for the tank? Any personal reviews for it?
Thanks it advance! :)
I used to be sugar pixel .

Microllama Adoption Center

scuttlefish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:44 am

sugar pixel . wrote:Hello! So I finally got a 55 gallon tank, and I need some advice.
It's a Marineland kit, came with a heater, lights, and a filter. The filter is a Penguin one, with 350 GPH. Will that be enough for this tank? Has anyone had any problems with Penguin filters that I might need to look out for? And does anyone know how fast/strong the flow is?
heater questions. It's 200w, and would it work for the tank? Any personal reviews for it?

Since my lazy at converting all stuff to US units, just know that 55 gallons is 208 liters to de-code my typing. c;

Now personally I'd prefer anything over 200 liters with canister filter. Just a preferance as they have much better filteration capasity. Over side/hang back(what ever their proper name is) filters aren't a common thing around here so I can't say much about that filter that's based on actual experience. After watching couple videos to me it looks like it won't create much current as that water mainly just falls out of it rather than being sprayed out like most internals and canisters do. 350GPH means all of the water in the tank goes through the filter about 6 times per hour, which should be enough(my filters run it 4-5 times per hour). But ultimately if it's enough depends on the stocking and how messy your fish are. Like in theory my tank could run with one internal, but I prefer it with two even though it's not that heavy stocked and it seems to run better that way. Companies tend to over rate the filters capacity, so it's often better to go little over than under if tank size ends up in the middle ground. That one was up to 70gal, so it should be able to handle 55gal fairly well.
My issues with this filter is the fact that the cartilages are yet again very fine and with active carbon. Active carbon is not necessary in healthy tank, it's main purpose comes when you need to remove medical residues from the water. And recently I was told it's 'power' last about a week in use, then it's 'dead' and needs replacing. Thus probably why all filter makers who use them tell you replace them instead of just rinsing out most of the sirt. Though very fine filter material like that is hard to clean and gets clogged up lot faster than bit coarser material. Which is why it's usually better to have water first go through medium coarse sponge which will catch the biggest particles and then the through the finer material which gets rest of the tiny bits. Bio material's placement varies depending on the filter, like in most canisters it's either first or middle, and my Fluval U3, which is internal, it's last stage. Pro about that Penguin is that it actually seems to have bio filteration, when many smaller filters like that don't. I also like the fact that the filter is not totally closed so the water circling through it should get plenty of oxygen from the air, though this could also mean the water evaporates easily.

As for the heater did some checking and oddly enough I found 150W that says to work for 200-300 liter, while 200W on was recomended for 300-400 liters. So while I usually trust what the manufacturer says, in these case I would do a test run with the heater in the tank and see that it's not over heating the water and also check it's heating it up accurately(my eheim one isn't, so it's set much lower than the actual temp it heats up the water) by having separate thermometer to monitor the actual water temperature.

So I've been kinda wanting a betta lately... Nice plakat or perhaps crowntail male, or sorority, as I feel like anything with clumsier fins would have too much trouble with the water flow I have. ^^' What is the minimum temp bettas are comfortable to keep long term? That is my other issue, as corries aren't too happy with much warmer water than the current 25-26C degrees.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Hime wrote:So I've been kinda wanting a betta lately... Nice plakat or perhaps crowntail male, or sorority, as I feel like anything with clumsier fins would have too much trouble with the water flow I have. ^^' What is the minimum temp bettas are comfortable to keep long term? That is my other issue, as corries aren't too happy with much warmer water than the current 25-26C degrees.

I keep all of mine at 80 degrees Fahrenheit, but I think that 26 Celsius (78.8F) would be fine.

Short finned bettas are actually becoming my favorites to keep. My male plakat, female crowntail, and female veiltail are so much fun to watch. They're so much more active than my long-finned bettas.

---
Update on the snail, for anyone that might have been interested -
It had a cluster of eggs. I'm so happy that I decided to quarantine it away from my fish. I do not want baby snails. Once they've hatched, I'm handing them off to my brother who expressed interest in them. They can be his problem. I'll be keeping the original, though. I'm still rather fond of it.
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scuttlefish » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:12 am

Hime wrote:
sugar pixel . wrote:Hello! So I finally got a 55 gallon tank, and I need some advice.

Since my lazy at converting all stuff to US units, just know that 55 gallons is 208 liters to de-code my typing. c;

Now personally I'd prefer anything over 200 liters with canister filter. Just a preferance as they have much better filteration capasity. Over side/hang back(what ever their proper name is) filters aren't a common thing around here so I can't say much about that filter that's based on actual experience. After watching couple videos to me it looks like it won't create much current as that water mainly just falls out of it rather than being sprayed out like most internals and canisters do. 350GPH means all of the water in the tank goes through the filter about 6 times per hour, which should be enough(my filters run it 4-5 times per hour). But ultimately if it's enough depends on the stocking and how messy your fish are. Like in theory my tank could run with one internal, but I prefer it with two even though it's not that heavy stocked and it seems to run better that way. Companies tend to over rate the filters capacity, so it's often better to go little over than under if tank size ends up in the middle ground. That one was up to 70gal, so it should be able to handle 55gal fairly well.
My issues with this filter is the fact that the cartilages are yet again very fine and with active carbon. Active carbon is not necessary in healthy tank, it's main purpose comes when you need to remove medical residues from the water. And recently I was told it's 'power' last about a week in use, then it's 'dead' and needs replacing. Thus probably why all filter makers who use them tell you replace them instead of just rinsing out most of the sirt. Though very fine filter material like that is hard to clean and gets clogged up lot faster than bit coarser material. Which is why it's usually better to have water first go through medium coarse sponge which will catch the biggest particles and then the through the finer material which gets rest of the tiny bits. Bio material's placement varies depending on the filter, like in most canisters it's either first or middle, and my Fluval U3, which is internal, it's last stage. Pro about that Penguin is that it actually seems to have bio filteration, when many smaller filters like that don't. I also like the fact that the filter is not totally closed so the water circling through it should get plenty of oxygen from the air, though this could also mean the water evaporates easily.

As for the heater did some checking and oddly enough I found 150W that says to work for 200-300 liter, while 200W on was recomended for 300-400 liters. So while I usually trust what the manufacturer says, in these case I would do a test run with the heater in the tank and see that it's not over heating the water and also check it's heating it up accurately(my eheim one isn't, so it's set much lower than the actual temp it heats up the water) by having separate thermometer to monitor the actual water temperature.

So I've been kinda wanting a betta lately... Nice plakat or perhaps crowntail male, or sorority, as I feel like anything with clumsier fins would have too much trouble with the water flow I have. ^^' What is the minimum temp bettas are comfortable to keep long term? That is my other issue, as corries aren't too happy with much warmer water than the current 25-26C degrees.

Thanks! I'll see if I can modify the cartridges and take out the carbon, as it doesn't look too hard. Perhaps I can try to craft some cartridge with some coarser filter material at my LFS? I mean, it's pretty much filter material with plastic connected to it to keep it in place.
Could I stick a bag of Biomax aquarium noodles in it? Would it help it filter better?
Strange about the heater. I've yet to start cycling it, as the stand hasn't arrived, but I'll definetely test it out! I'll get an actual thermometer, as the sticker thermometer in the set isn't very reliable.

How long will it take to cycle a 55 gallon tank? What if I used some sort of start-up bacteria product?
I used to be sugar pixel .

Microllama Adoption Center

scuttlefish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sunny! » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Username: .CillBipher.
How many fish tanks do you have: I have one, 1.7 gallons.
Types of fish that you have: Bettas, for now
Your fishs' names: Ayki (pronouced I-KEE), nicknamed Kopi.
How long have you had fish: Almost three weeks! What a baby fish.

Image above is taken by me, posted on G+.

Note: My fish has one real plant and two fake plastic plants. He is very active, and I feed him a little pinch each day. I am planning to let his digestive system rest in a week or two.

Also if you have pictures of you fish we would love to see them! If you have a tank with a lot of fish you are welcome to just put a picture of your tank. If the images are large or you have a lot please post links.

link
link
link
link
link
©

I’m not as active as I used to be, I’ll be here for big events such as Christmas and Summer.

Sunny!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gumb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Username: gumbyrox
How many fish tanks do you have: Just the one for now :) its 17 litres if I remember right so about 4.5 gal
Types of fish that you have: I have a half moon male betta.
Your fishs' names: Caspian
How long have you had fish: I owned fish as a child for about 1 & 1/2 years or so (some mollies and snails, I think we had angels at one stage) , but this is the first fish I've kept and done everything for alone (without parents help). I've had him for about a month or so

http://imgur.com/0geMy0S
This one was taken today c:

http://imgur.com/8vHCRp7
And this was taken a few days after I got him home
gumb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Chickens. » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Username: Chickens.
How many fish tanks do you have: I currently manage five separate 55 gallon saltwater tanks, and one is managed by someone else but I come around to check on that eels care.
Types of fish that you have: various species of moray eels and one fish (blackspot sergeant)
Your fishs' names: Sergeant Major (fish) and the eels are called by their species name. (Ex. Stout moray is named Stout. If there's more than one eel of the same species they have other names) Stout (Stout moray), Snowflake (Snowflake moray), Big Dragon, Light Dragon, Dark Dragon (dragon morays), Speckle (speckleback moray), Brown Bar (female), Little Brown Bar, Baby Brown Bar, and Brown Bar (male) (brown bar moray)
How long have you had fish: been taking care of them for 3 years now. They belong to my teacher, but the Snowflake moray and Sergeant Major are my personal pets. I come in every week day and take care of them (ex cleaning, feeding, occasional salinity checks and pH checks)

I'll try to get some pics/vids tomorrow and see if i can figure out how to link them in here :)

My teacher is going out to catch a mated pair of dragon morays this weekend (if the conditions are good) and they'll live in the 5th tank.

*edit* here's a link to an older video of Snowflake eating

Chickens.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:48 am

sugar pixel . wrote:Thanks! I'll see if I can modify the cartridges and take out the carbon, as it doesn't look too hard. Perhaps I can try to craft some cartridge with some coarser filter material at my LFS? I mean, it's pretty much filter material with plastic connected to it to keep it in place.
Could I stick a bag of Biomax aquarium noodles in it? Would it help it filter better?
Strange about the heater. I've yet to start cycling it, as the stand hasn't arrived, but I'll definetely test it out! I'll get an actual thermometer, as the sticker thermometer in the set isn't very reliable.

How long will it take to cycle a 55 gallon tank? What if I used some sort of start-up bacteria product?

Some manufacturers make different types of filter media/cartridges that's specifically made for their filters, so maybe do some googling if that may be an option? Any modification you do is at your own risk pretty much and if they end up breaking the filter, or even if not but it still breaks, guarantees usually don't apply anymore. But generally if it's not something too crazy and doesn't really disturb the way the filter works, then why not. I've added some more bio material into my U3's biomax box and don't run it with fine filteration/active carbon pads and so far so good. I even considered filling up my PickUp with biomaterial instead of the sponge it has, but decided that may not be the best idea and the sponge does good job. :lol: Just keep in mind more stuff there is in the filter the slower the water circulation through it will be, especially if it's very fine/dense stuff. Some brands actually give their filters output as it would be without any media in the filter and then they also give what it is with their recommended medias in the filter. Would altering the content make it better filter, that I don't know. Would depend on how it runs with modifications and what sort of mess the fish make. Biomasses generally do improve the biological filteration, given there's enough oxygen, but their mechanical filteration aspect is not always the most useful.

I don't think size matters when it comes to cycling a tank, so about a month probably give or take some. ^^ Start-up bacterias can unfortunately be hit and miss quite often. Not all the products even contain both sorts of needed bacterias, or so I've been told. Tetra and Prodibio's products have best success rates as far as I know, though that may be old information as I haven't lately looked into what's the new thing when it comes to cycling tanks. Ton of people around me have started their tanks with bacteria products with no issues at all. But I do it, and the cycle crashes on the 2nd or 3rd day. Then I battled nitrite for 1,5 weeks I think? Sure it ended up eventually cycling faster than with the classic cycle process, but the fish I had gotten were exposed to nitrite and most seemed to end up with some internal damage as they died fairly quickly. Basically with most bacteria products you need to add the fish usually 24-48 hours after adding the product. Othervise the bacteria will die as they got nothing to 'eat'. They say add only one 3rd of the planned stock first so the bacterias won't be over loaded. Now I got less than that so not sure if that was my issue... The general recommendation at one point also was that you don't use bacteria products with the traditional ammonia fishless cycle. Said they didn't work well together.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby StrikingEmber36 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello guys! Just a quick update:
Aggie, my female veiltail, has passed away. She had a really bad case of popeye, then eventually swimbladder problems and dropsy.
She was hanging on and suffering and I was going to put her down, but when I came home... it looked like she... exploded... maybe she ate something she wasn't supposed too? I don't know. she only pooped twice the entirety she was in the hospital tank too, (two weeks) so I really don't know exactly what when wrong or what I did wrong.
And I have a question for ya'll, because as of now all of my bettas are living with guppy fry, do you think that bettas are entirely solitary creatures?
this question was brought up on a betta fourm I am on, and I thought it was very interesting.
my point of view on this is that no, I do not think bettas are entirely solitary creatures. I think in the wild it'd be almost impossible for a betta not to encounter another fish, but not necessarily another betta. you know what I mean? obviously, you can create betta sororities, but this probably does not happen in the wild and the females will probably get frustated with their small territory and is why most sororities don't end well. And male bettas are sometimes put in communities, and do just fine. But I believe this myth that 'bettas kill everything in their tank' should stay though. Because most people keep bettas in smaller tanks, I think it'd be best for innocent guppies, female bettas, and even other male bettas get slaughtered.
What do you think?
Image megan ~ she/they Image
hello! i make art sometimes
pls disregard my old stuff, i've been on this site since i was a literal child
i like to draw, roleplay, and trade!
i have a service dog and love dogs+fish!!
user since 2011 | previously JiminSpazz | x
StrikingEmber36

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me