Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 502

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby Crum » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:49 am

That seems fine. I like using this aquarium calculator to calculate my stocking levels. It isnt perfect of course but it gives you a decent idea.
Ive set it to your tank size and the fish you listed :)
here
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Is this a good idea?:

So, I have a ~ten gallon tank, a spare five gallon tank (But currently in use and only a couple slots open.), a 2 gallon holding tank, and I will be buying another 2 gallon. I want to breed guppies, so I will start off with a male and two/three females in the ten gallon tank. After the female is noticeably pregnant/20 days have passed, I will put her into the 2 gallon over a birth net (So she has time to accumilate. After she gives birth, she can wait three or so days in the fry tank, then moved into the other 2 gallon for a breeding rest. Then she will be moved back into the community tank. Once I am done breeding the guppies, I will move the males to the 2 gallon (I won't have more than three) and let the females live out their lives in the community tank (I might add more fish if there are extra slots open). Fry will live in one of the two gallons depending on space until they're ready to be moved into the community tank (I will probably only keep one/two from each spawn.) Is this a good idea?
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:00 am

The idea is fine, the tank sizes are a bit small. 2 gallons is too small for guppies and while it would be fine temporarily, it wouldn't be suitable for 3 adult males to live in. It's also a bit small for raising fry as you might have issues with water quality.
What do you plan to do with the fry you aren't keeping?
You could keep them in the 10 gallon and get a breeder net. Or even just a heavily planted tank should give fry a good chance of surviving.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ✧ serendipity ✧ » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:40 am

Kat wrote:Still a work in progress, but here is Drogon's new aquarium so far. I need to setup his heater and I'd love to add some live plants soon, as well. I hope that he will like it. He's such a pretty boy.

Ooh! What a pretty fish!!
✧ serendipity ✧

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:38 am

Lonin wrote:The idea is fine, the tank sizes are a bit small. 2 gallons is too small for guppies and while it would be fine temporarily, it wouldn't be suitable for 3 adult males to live in. It's also a bit small for raising fry as you might have issues with water quality.
What do you plan to do with the fry you aren't keeping?
You could keep them in the 10 gallon and get a breeder net. Or even just a heavily planted tank should give fry a good chance of surviving.

Thanks for the input, I'll try to upgrade to a five gallon for the fry/males. If not, I'll just keep two males in the 2 gallon instead. I'll sell/give away any extra fry.
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lonin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:08 am

The Enchantress wrote:Thanks for the input, I'll try to upgrade to a five gallon for the fry/males. If not, I'll just keep two males in the 2 gallon instead. I'll sell/give away any extra fry.

2 gallons isn't enough for any number of guppies permanently :c You can get away with something smaller temporarily or for juveniles but for a permanent home they need at least 10 gallons.
You cannot eat love, nor buy a horse with it, nor warm your halls on a cold night
Lonin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blueberry » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 am

A couple days ago I bought a couple fish and a fish bowl. Deciding that I wanted more I bought a ten gallon tank and two more fish. Because I don't have a heater, I had to have my fish tank upstairs. I came home today only to find out that my little sister took all but one out of the tank and they died. (I cried. A lot.) We told her she can't touch or do anything to the tank - MULTIPLE TIMES. My moms response was "we'll just buy more". I love my little sister but she never learns and I guarantee she'll do something like that again. I know they're just fish but I'm super upset...
Blueberry

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby flyteck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:08 am

W I N T E R. wrote:A couple days ago I bought a couple fish and a fish bowl. Deciding that I wanted more I bought a ten gallon tank and two more fish. Because I don't have a heater, I had to have my fish tank upstairs. I came home today only to find out that my little sister took all but one out of the tank and they died. (I cried. A lot.) We told her she can't touch or do anything to the tank - MULTIPLE TIMES. My moms response was "we'll just buy more". I love my little sister but she never learns and I guarantee she'll do something like that again. I know they're just fish but I'm super upset...

What kind of fish do you have? You probably shouldn't have anything in a bowl. I'm sorry about what your sister did though.. can you put them out of her reach?
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
echjhmhehcghfghfgghhImage

Deviantart [most active]
toyhou.se
Lioden
I'm still on here, but I don't post much.
Feel free to message me if you'd like to
chat! Check my DA for commissions c;

✯ Check out my Webcomic!✯
⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁⤁
flyteck

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crum » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:36 pm

Im kind of considering moving my betta (who lives in a 2.5g) into my 20 gallon with the rest of my fish, so I can have more space in my dorm. I am just looking for some opinions on if you guys think its a good idea or not.
I got him when he was a baby, and he has lived with other fish and creatures his whole life. First a dwarf frog and a snail (frog decided it wanted to go for a stroll into another room and died, pretty sure snail was sick when I got it), and currently an oto catfish. I have never seen any problems with him bothering them. If anything he might go up to it and poke it and it swims away but nothing aggressive.
In my 20g, I have a few mollies and platys, some shrimp, snails, a rubberlip pleco, and a baby parrot cichlid (no worries, im upgrading him in a few months). Sometimes one of the mollies will get annoyed if someone is eating her food or in her way, but for the most part shes fine. Shes the biggest fish in the tank and thinks shes boss. The parrot is new to the tank and still very afraid of everything, he only will peck at a fish if they come into his hiding spot. Otherwise, he is nice and sometimes seems to school with the other fish.
I have a female betta in a 10g tank with similar inhabitants, and she just thinks shes one of them, swims with them eats with them and all. So I am curious whether or not I can get away with my male in a tank.
Like I said, ive had him basically his whole life and he is very tame and I have never seen any signs of aggression with him and other fish. Should I try adding him to my 20g and see how it goes?
Crum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby $ρє¢тяυм » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am

Username: $ρє¢тяυм
How many fish tanks do you have: I have 2 and 1 bowl ... i only use one tank though the 5.5 gallon .. the other one i have is a 1.5 gallon and its plan is to be used for evacuation emergencies for at hotels and such.
Types of fish that you have: just one betta ... i used to have 2 goldfish but they didnt survive a sudden unknown sickenss
Your fishs' names: Her name is Athena
How long have you had fish: Since the end of July or so... so like i think about 2 months

The normals they make me afraid
The crazies they make me feel sane
████████ ████████ ████████
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|