Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

The members list is getting long. Should I change the way it's set up?

Yes, only list people's usernames
25%
Yes, only list people's usernames and the species of fish they own
60%
No, I like it the way it is
14%
Other (PM me with your idea)
2%

Total votes : 500

Re: Fish Lovers 3.0 [new poll]

Postby claypigeon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm looking into getting a mystery snail. They are very cheap, only need about 1 gallon or over ( because they'd be solo) maybe a plant, and algae wafers. I have the tank thing taken care of. So me and my friend will be heading to let smart in a week!

hi!
clay★ she/her
i have many classes, work and no time. ((so please be patient w me !!)
electric guitar connoisseur. dead head and led head
pm me if you need to talk or just want a friend !!
If I owe you an unfinished commission I never did from years ago, which I did often bc I was a horrible little gremlin, please just let me know : )
johnny says stay cool
claypigeon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PeachFuzz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:14 pm

Funsized wrote:I'm looking into getting a mystery snail. They are very cheap, only need about 1 gallon or over ( because they'd be solo) maybe a plant, and algae wafers. I have the tank thing taken care of. So me and my friend will be heading to let smart in a week!

Mystery snails produce a LOT of waste. You'll probably have a hard time keeping up with it in a 1 gallon. 2.5g-5g would be better.

Make sure you have a full lid (no holes they can fit through) on the tank. Mystery snails are excellent escape artists!

Good luck with your snails c:
Image Image Image
PeachFuzz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 pm

I got two new boys today. They're as different from each other as day and night. c;

I just love his red eyes.

I can't wait to set them up in their proper homes. I'm in the process of moving all of my fish to another part of the house, though. It's being a major pain right now, but I'm very excited to get everything up and running. Rather than have fish tanks scattered all over the house, I'm building a display area for all of 'em. A kind of a designated "fish wall" with all of the tanks in leveled rows. It'll hopefully look pretty neat. ^^
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:31 am

Kat wrote:I got two new boys today. They're as different from each other as day and night. c;

I just love his red eyes.

I can't wait to set them up in their proper homes. I'm in the process of moving all of my fish to another part of the house, though. It's being a major pain right now, but I'm very excited to get everything up and running. Rather than have fish tanks scattered all over the house, I'm building a display area for all of 'em. A kind of a designated "fish wall" with all of the tanks in leveled rows. It'll hopefully look pretty neat. ^^

Those boys are so cute! I love the black crown tail, especially with those hints of red in him. Good luck on making a "fish wall" cx.

---

So I have a small question about tank lights and my sucker fish. What is a good time to turn the tank's light on/off? I turn my tank light off before I sleep and I turn it on when I wake up; these times are usually around 8:30-9:35 when I turn the tank off, and when I turn it on it's usually at 6:25-6:30. I'm wondering if this is okay to do or not because my sucker fish will usually come out an hour or so from his hiding spot when the lights are off. Is it normal for a sucker fish to hide during the day/when lights are on?
Put your text here - make sure
it is not wider than this!

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:12 am

Little Flower Child wrote:So I have a small question about tank lights and my sucker fish. What is a good time to turn the tank's light on/off? I turn my tank light off before I sleep and I turn it on when I wake up; these times are usually around 8:30-9:35 when I turn the tank off, and when I turn it on it's usually at 6:25-6:30. I'm wondering if this is okay to do or not because my sucker fish will usually come out an hour or so from his hiding spot when the lights are off. Is it normal for a sucker fish to hide during the day/when lights are on?

If you don't have any plants in the tank, anything goes in terms of light time. If you have live plants, they only use about 8 hours of light before they 'go to sleep' so to say. What I've found personally to be the easiest way to deal with lights is a timer that will turn them on-off for me and I don't have to be home(/awake) at certain times to turn them on-off. With timer it's also easy to set up a few hour light break middle of the day, which is said to help against algae to some amount. Light break also 'cheats' the daylight time for the plants and generally I can enjoy watching the fish later in the evening than I could without one. I have two separate lights, which go on-off with little time differance; they go on 9.30/10am then off at 1.30/2pm and back on 5/5.30pm and off for the night at 9/9.30pm.
Sucker fishes/plecos, and many other catfishes, in general are quite nocturnal creatures, so coming out after the lights are off is perfectly normal. c:
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tigerlily ❤️ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:25 am

Hime wrote:
Little Flower Child wrote:So I have a small question about tank lights and my sucker fish. What is a good time to turn the tank's light on/off? I turn my tank light off before I sleep and I turn it on when I wake up; these times are usually around 8:30-9:35 when I turn the tank off, and when I turn it on it's usually at 6:25-6:30. I'm wondering if this is okay to do or not because my sucker fish will usually come out an hour or so from his hiding spot when the lights are off. Is it normal for a sucker fish to hide during the day/when lights are on?

If you don't have any plants in the tank, anything goes in terms of light time. If you have live plants, they only use about 8 hours of light before they 'go to sleep' so to say. What I've found personally to be the easiest way to deal with lights is a timer that will turn them on-off for me and I don't have to be home(/awake) at certain times to turn them on-off. With timer it's also easy to set up a few hour light break middle of the day, which is said to help against algae to some amount. Light break also 'cheats' the daylight time for the plants and generally I can enjoy watching the fish later in the evening than I could without one. I have two separate lights, which go on-off with little time differance; they go on 9.30/10am then off at 1.30/2pm and back on 5/5.30pm and off for the night at 9/9.30pm.
Sucker fishes/plecos, and many other catfishes, in general are quite nocturnal creatures, so coming out after the lights are off is perfectly normal. c:

Ahh thank you! I was getting worried that my lil' sucker fish had something wrong with him. ;w; My grandma's sucker fish loves to come out during the day, so I was worried.

Signature coding by
sedition.
Tigerlily ❤️

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WhiteWater ; » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:18 am

it's hard to find a good time to post in here,
without butting into the middle of an ongoing
conversation haha!

One of the bests parts about my mother running a
very successful cat rescue, is hosting adoption events
at pet stores. just last weekend (February 11th) we
actually drove an hour and a half to host an adoption
event in another city - that's how well the rescue is
doing - and this store just so happened to be the
only store around here (even though it's still almost
2 hours away) to sell good, nice quality and often
exotic fish! My mother knows the owner and worked
with her, until she was offered the manager position
at this new store, which is why we had the adoption
even there anyways. Since she knows me quite well
I often get discounts, but never as much as I did that
day! They had some Frontosa cichlids in, normally
$59.99 each however she gave me the amazing price
of $25 each, so I came home with two! Although that's
still expensive for a fish, especially when you're only
used to $5-10, but I have been wanting some of
these babes for so long!

So.... as I was sitting there, this man came in with a
very, very small Tupperware container, much to
small for what was in it. Curiously I followed him, and
he was dropping off a fish (this store accepts fish
people can no longer take care of... depending on the
circumstances.) To get it in the tank, he didn't let the
employee's put it in a bag and acclimate it, instead,
he opened the container, grabbed the fish just put
it straight in the tank. This fish was a walking catfish,
or a Calaria's catfish, another fish that I have been
wanting for a while, but always were so expensive!
After talking to the manager about how long it would
be until they could sell it, she told me I could take
him home that day, as he was in very, very rough shape
and we figured he wouldn't make it. This guy had this
12 inch fish inside a 10 gallon tank with multiple smaller
guppies and tetras, and when he got made that this
fish followed it's instincts and attacked the smaller fish,
he kept it in that Tupperware container. He did alright
the first few nights, however Thursday morning he had
died. he was covered in skin wounds, and being a
scale-less fish, the way he roughly grabbed it would
have severely damaged it's skin. it had an internal
fungus - however I had him alone in a 45 gallon isolation
tank, luckily.

The frontosas are doing amazing! their coloration is so
beautiful, and can only get better as they grow! they
are only about 2-3 inches right now, and they're already
showing such amazing features! one is shyer than the
other and is taking longer to get used to me, however
the other one is coming out whenever he sees me! I
don't have any pictures of them in the tanks, but these
are them at the store!

one
two
these I didn't buy, just thought they were cute all hiding in the plant <3
three
catfish
catfish two
────────────
bree | female canadian | reptiles | fish | cars
hello there! i'm whitewater, but you can call me white or bree!
i'm simply a weird atlantic canadian who has a fascination with cars,
reptiles, photography, dead things and drawing! feel free to shoot
me a pm if you just simply want to talk,
or if I could help you with anything!
────────────────────
discord: WhiteWater #2061
toyhouse: whitewater
commissions: art shop
art trades: open
────────────
WhiteWater ;

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:36 am

Ahhhh its been awhile! just wanted to say i've become a proud fish mama :D My Axolotls spawned (turns out the lusistic was female and the wild type was male) along with some guppies i have. I only kept two axolotl eggs, and the babies a growing up fabulously, each are about 2-3 cm each and sooo cute, i THINK their both wild types, so happy! My poor betta Nigiri died a few months back s.i.p I really miss the boy. He was old though, and had some recurring issues that were getting harder and harder for him to fight off,at least he had a happy life. I have two new boys (ill find pics later) Temari (kinda a marble/grizzled pink and blue boy) and Sashimi. ( either metallic red half moon or a dragon scale boy, can tell, unfortunately hes a tail bitter omg :/) love my boys, even with my Nigiri gone <3

@WhiteWater;
That poor cat fish omg, i just don't understand why people don't research a species needs before they get one, drives friggin crazy, at least you did your best to help the poor creature. Also congratz on the Frontosa! I have a certain love for chiclids,just don't have the tank for them XD where i live they tend to be a bit more affordable if you can find someone who had a spawn.

@Kat.
Those are some beautiful betta boys! good choices :D
Last edited by MapleNeko on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lorne » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:44 am

Hi I have a small question about stocking -

So I'm starting to think about what fish to put into my 20 gallon (that I'm hoping to have set up within the next two weeks!) with my betta. For sure I'm going to have four panda cories, but a type of fish that I've had in almost every aquarium I owned as a kid was a red eye tetra. I know they're not very flashy fish so I was wondering if it would be OK to house them in the same tank as a betta, and how many I should get for the tank if so?

While I'm at it, I do have another question. I'm going to be putting live freshwater plants into the tank, and I've never owned live plants before, so is there any I should 100% stay clear of?
The fish going into it will be:
A male betta
Four panda cories
Possibly red eye tetras depending on the answer to the above question

Thank you for any help!

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 16 people.
I have received 10 gifts.

₊˚⊹. ☾ Aria ☆ she/her ☆ Art shop ☽ .⊹˚₊Image
Lorne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MapleNeko » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:59 am

.sav wrote:Hi I have a small question about stocking -

So I'm starting to think about what fish to put into my 20 gallon (that I'm hoping to have set up within the next two weeks!) with my betta. For sure I'm going to have four panda cories, but a type of fish that I've had in almost every aquarium I owned as a kid was a red eye tetra. I know they're not very flashy fish so I was wondering if it would be OK to house them in the same tank as a betta, and how many I should get for the tank if so?

While I'm at it, I do have another question. I'm going to be putting live freshwater plants into the tank, and I've never owned live plants before, so is there any I should 100% stay clear of?
The fish going into it will be:
A male betta
Four panda cories
Possibly red eye tetras depending on the answer to the above question

Thank you for any help!

Ok! so! Ima say probably a no to the red eye tetras if their gonna be with a betta, their larger tetras and if their prone to nipping they could hurt the bettas tail and make a miserable mess of it. I would say if your looking for a peaceful schooling fish, Neon tetras, Ember tetras, and Harlequin Rasboras are all small, nice to look at, and much too fast for the betta to catch. I would answer you question about live plants, but i have no expertise in that area XD only silk plants for me. Try to stick to low light plants maybe? they tend to be easier to keep, also do research on plant care, lots of info there and i'm no good at it lol.
╔════════════════════════════════╗
▰▰ My WME Herd ▰▰
Click us!
ImageImageImageImage

Hey there! my names Mapleneko and im your typical Uni student <3 I absolutely adore animals with anything aquatic, feathered or feline being my favorite! I'm an Axolotl mom and breeder so please feel free to msg me if you want to know more about the silly critters.
Entomology Minor (bugs are life)
the anime is Akatsuki no Yona btw!

╚═══════════════════════════════╝
MapleNeko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me