Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby northy. » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:25 am

more low quality pics of me and river! second time riding her and she is already my favourite! i feel bad for the horse i used to ride, but i give him lots of love when i'm on the yard. idk, i always seem to click better with mares, anyone else like that?
my seat was so bad in that lesson, i was like the leaning tower of pisa. moral of the story, don't let anxiety get the better of me, if my stirrups are too short, turn in and fix them! she had a little spook since snow was coming into the arena at some points, but she is fab and i just love her to absolute pieces.

northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:56 pm

ryan ross. wrote:

more low quality pics of me and river! second time riding her and she is already my favourite! i feel bad for the horse i used to ride, but i give him lots of love when i'm on the yard. idk, i always seem to click better with mares, anyone else like that?
my seat was so bad in that lesson, i was like the leaning tower of pisa. moral of the story, don't let anxiety get the better of me, if my stirrups are too short, turn in and fix them! she had a little spook since snow was coming into the arena at some points, but she is fab and i just love her to absolute pieces.

haha same! geldings are little angels (stallions too [sometimes]), but mares have always been my favourite!

jumped digger yesterday but as soon as we started going to other direction he became very naughty. i was a big worried about riding him back to his barn since he was still so bucky and full of energy so i detatched the reins from his bridle and put him in the round pen. i used a lunge line at first attached to his martingale attached to his nose band / bit instead of looping it through the bit and attaching it on the otherside since he was pulling his neck down quite a bit before and seemed uncomfortable. he was really good on the line but then refused to change direction and started being a little brat haha. he's amazing at join up though,like as soon as i take off the pressure and slow him down he will immediately come over. after i took off the line i just worked him around. he likes to jam his side into the fence/ rail sometimes to try and get his rider off when bucking and pulling his head down suddenly doesnt work haha. he decided that he still didn't want to change direction so i really worked him and after lots of bucking he finally did, but then he started rubbing against the rail (thank god i wasn't riding the little brat then aha). when he does this, i do try to apply leg but i can't really cause its so pressed against the fence that it's hard to lift it, so i have to resort to using the crop. when i use the crop though, it half works but then he will buck and such, but i've noticed that tightening my outside rein works the best. btw thanks anyone who's still reading haha. digger is tiny but a pretty fun ride (when i don't eat dirt at least). he's got such a big personality. one of the really fun things he does is if you call him from the ground he will run over and u just have to say "chase me" and he will haha. my coach did this when i was on him and all she said was "hold on tight!" and the little piglet did his little gelding squeal so loud that it spooked the horses in the paddock pretty far away, and bucked like a little bronc cause he was so excited. (long post whoooops)
warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BYE!!!!!!!!!!!! » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 am

Hello, you can all call me Suit at the moment I have not ridden in about two to three months due to moving but I have been riding for about 1-3 years now I am also looking for my own horse at the moment. I have found the wonderful mare that would be a perfect for barrels but I don't connect well with mares their more reserved I feel like I connect better with gelding and stallions. Any tips for buying a horse? Thank you :)
BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kestrell » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm

@Black
well for one- if you've only been riding for a year I do NOT recommend buying, or even looking to buy. Take time to really make sure that you are interested in horseback riding/ barrels. Because trust me, a lot can change in a year and you really need to be sure that a level of commitment is something you would be able to uphold. I would really recommend using lesson horses at your barn (if at all possible!) they are wonderful and really allow new riders like yourself to learn on experienced and forgiving mounts. Leasing or half leasing is usually the step I recommend thinking about next, and even then, leasing takes SO MUCH TIME and you really have to be prepared to put 6-7 days a week into your horse, and not all of those will be riding. But leasing is a nice way to get the feeling of ownership without the full commitment of actually owning one. Owning a horse is never something I would recommend to a beginner, but it is a rewarding experience. Take your time, do your research. Ride every horse you have the chance to- it can help narrow down the type you feel most comfortable on. Ask the owners to send video, if they will be willing to share records, past vet records, show placings etc. Trying a horse is always a scary time lmao, but it is important! Having a vet check the horse is also a good idea- spotting any minor/ major health concerns can save you $ off the purchase price or even prevent you from buying a horse from a dishonest seller- but that's all very very far down the road..... Again- wouldn't recommend ownership for someone who has only ridden for a year ...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello I am Kestrel! Call me whatever
I go by she/her pronouns
I am very fond of any sort of art
I am usually very shy...but I don't bite!

LinkLink
coding
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kestrell

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:24 am

As of April 30, 2018, my riding career will come to a halt.

I do not know how long I will be out for, nor do I know if I'll have the ability to ride again in the future, but this is something I have to do for my health. My back problems and back pain are too bad and unfortunately, riding is making it worse. This is the hardest decision I ever had to make and I am completely and utterly heartbroken.

My lease horse, Alice, is my pride and joy and I had so many plans for us for the future. It's sad that those plans have changed and that we will each be living our own lives, but not together. I don't even know how to feel right now. I can't believe this is happening, but it's what I have to do to ensure I get better.

Image Image
      My sweet Alice, we will spend the next forty days together and enjoy the time we have. I will cherish it forever. I love you, sweet mare.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby warmblood » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:27 am

BlackSuitBlackTie wrote:Hello, you can all call me Suit at the moment I have not ridden in about two to three months due to moving but I have been riding for about 1-3 years now I am also looking for my own horse at the moment. I have found the wonderful mare that would be a perfect for barrels but I don't connect well with mares their more reserved I feel like I connect better with gelding and stallions. Any tips for buying a horse? Thank you :)

i have to agree with kestrell.. since i don't know how experienced you are, just by judging the amount of time you've been riding for, i'd say you aren't ready for a horse yet. doesn't matter if you've been riding for one year or three, i'd say it's still not enough time. i would wait until you've been riding for 4-5 years at least. have you full leased a horse yet?
warmblood

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby BYE!!!!!!!!!!!! » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 am

@Kestrell
Thank you for telling me you do not recommend instead of being taboo and yes I have went to barns but most say they don't have good lessons horses for me or the lesson prices are just outrages (A 30- an hour lesson is 350 dollars while a 2-3 hour one is 690 dollars) I also have full leased for 2 month suppose to be 6 but the owner screwed us over on that I also appreciate the advice thank you.

@Pills Yes, I have full leased only 2 months even though I paid for 6 months (Owner screwed us over on that) I also appreciate your advice as well thank you.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:58 am

King Kakashi wrote:
      As of April 30, 2018, my riding career will come to a halt.

I do not know how long I will be out for, nor do I know if I'll have the ability to ride again in the future, but this is something I have to do for my health. My back problems and back pain are too bad and unfortunately, riding is making it worse. This is the hardest decision I ever had to make and I am completely and utterly heartbroken.

My lease horse, Alice, is my pride and joy and I had so many plans for us for the future. It's sad that those plans have changed and that we will each be living our own lives, but not together. I don't even know how to feel right now. I can't believe this is happening, but it's what I have to do to ensure I get better.

Image Image
      My sweet Alice, we will spend the next forty days together and enjoy the time we have. I will cherish it forever. I love you, sweet mare.

hope that it all works out in the end :thumbup:
maybe you can look into gaited horses...a horse with a good working-traveling tolt is very soft to the back...and then there is driving, maybe the owner could train Alice for dressage or show driving, then you still can work her and even show her even when the back needs a it longer to heal fully for riding like bevor :) good luck for your health! ^^
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:47 am

@Luzien:

Thank you! I already train dressage with her and it's the movement of riding in general that is hurting my back. Alice is a very smooth ride as well. Both my doctor and massage therapist see it getting worse as time goes on, so unfortunately, this is what I need to do. Her owner is a blessing, though, and will allow me to see Alice whenever I want. It will take some time, though, that's for sure.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chaney » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm

hi! I’m new here I guess. I have a few questions

first off, I’m a western rider (I’ve taken a few English lessons and reeeally enjoyed them but my area is quite expensive) and I’ve ridden for a few years on and off. my close friend has two quarter horses both in their early 20s. due to having young children and a full time job, she barely has time to spend with her horses. sometimes i spend time with them and ride one (the other has sore feet so she’s taking a break from riding) but it’s hard to connect with him if that makes sense. he always seems distracted and I can’t seem to get his full attention. it may be that he is still a little unfamiliar with me, but i have been visiting them for about half a year now off and on. are there any exercises/activities i can do to get this guy to trust me more and stay focused during our rides? any help is appreciated

i like to talk to people

chaney

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me