Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby opal. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 am

Welcome to the thread everyone! Equestrians of all disciplines and types are

welcome here, and even if you don't ride, feel free to join in anyway as everything revolves around horses here!

You can talk about your horse, riding, tack, disciplines, breeds, lessons, whatever here, just keep it nice and

courteous to others views (I.E. No bashing disciplines, breeds, or people for asking "stupid" questions). Remember

to have fun and enjoy conversing with your fellow equestrians! We have a lot of diversity and quite the community

of regular posters here now, but newcomers are always welcome. Enjoy!

1. Please stay on the topic of horses and riding— if it isn't horse

related, please don't post about it unless it somehow relates to back to the topic of horses.

2.DO NOT spam the thread please. Spam includes but isn't limited to:

One word/one sentence posts (This doesn't include valid questions that happen to be short)

One line/short response conversations going on only between two users for four or more posts

Off-topic/Irrelevant material

Excessive reppetition

Personal conversation (such as talking to one user about school, fashion, ect.)

3. Be kind and polite to fellow posters, respecting their beliefs and opinions if they

do not want to discuss them and being courteous if they do wish to have a discussion.

4. We all love seeing pictures of your horses, but please do not post any without first

blacking out any visible faces or making sure that the face is not identifiable by any means.

When you don't follow the rules, you risk getting this thread locked for everybody,

therefore, any of these negative behaviors will not be tolerated and you may be asked to kindly cease

posting if you repeatedly disobey the guidelines that have been set up.

All credit for this thread goes to user Hanoverian
Last edited by opal. on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:21 am, edited 14 times in total.

Rare Items and Pets for Trade!

WME'sTradePMCharacters
opal.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby Hooligan. » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:03 am

New thread XD
I like it.

This goes back from the last thread, I will elaborate better later : )

@Luzien:
I swear I will reply to you later lol : ) Its been amazinngggg temperatures for January so we are taking advantage of it and working our cows around : )

@Daughter of Hades:
Vaulting is fantastic, you'll love it!!! I did it a little bit a couple years ago. Really as long as you have an experienced trainer, and an experienced horse, you'll be fine. Well, I guess I didn't really do vaulting, I did trick riding. Like, standing up on the horse, around thew orld, etc. I did it on a big belgian mare. I'm pretty scared of heights and it really didn't bother me. Its really fun once you get the hang of it. I still occasionally do around the world on Queso.

@equine:
I live in Wyoming, and in my area its no problem. Of course the west has yet to be won here ha. Its not rare to see people riding through town and along the highway here. In the summer of 2013 after a parade we rode in as rodeo queens, my friend and I were in the town near ours, for their parade (as its in our county), and its a 4 lane road that gos through that town and we were in line in between cars and things. They have one street light in that town, and they only use it for the parades, and we stopped at the stoplights, and then loped on down the road when it turned green. It was a pretty neat experience.
There's something to be said for a place that hasn't had all the rough rode out of it.
Hooligan.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ayeo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:13 am

chaachee. wrote:
I finally got some pictures of little Cinder! Shes honestly been a jewel lately, and Its much different from her usual sassy mare attitude. XD
Shes also been doing very well in our lessons, and responds much better to my leg. Im very proud of her, and lets hope she keeps this positive attitude up. XD

I apologize for the big photos, I couldn't crop them down to the right size. xS

Just reposting this because of new thread! ~ (:
        i barely use this account lol?
        but I came here to add this: taeng is my younger sister.
        please don't ban her, she's only interested in roleplaying.
        thank you.
ayeo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hime » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:25 am

(@Opal, did you remember to ask the mods to lock the old topic? c:)

I shall snatch the first post! Well darn, I wasn't fast enough. XD
Couple posts from the old topic to reply.

gunpowder & lead. wrote:
So I have a question for those of y'all who are good at grooming:
So my sorrel quarter horse named Sorrel (XD) has a very pretty, thick mane and tail. I love it since most other horses that I've had have had thinner/shorter manes and tails. My only problem with it is that it has these horrid tangles in it that are close to impossible to get out. I've tried putting show sheen detangler in them to get them out and it works on Sorrel's mane, but not really his tail.
Does anyone have an effective way to get this problem fixed and keep it fixed? I'll do anything!

I actually have the opposite thing. XD Tail stays nice and neat, mane doesn't. Horses have different types of manes and tails, like not just thickness, but hair quality as well. Like some have frizzy manes, while others have slick and flat ones. XD Some get more tangled than others...
I've been using this show shine product from Vetrolin. It's probably the best stuff I've ever used, though I've heard people say good stuff about Cowboy Magic as well.
First I'd wash the tail well, then brush it with help of detangler. But you have to keep detangling it regularry if you want it to stay that way, and use the detangler occasionally... Just some strokes with curry comb when grooming might be enough. Products that make the hairs slippery are generally good stuff imo. There are those gel/liquid detanglers as well, they might have little more umph in them, not sure haven't tried them myself...
Oh yeah, for thick manes and tails curry comb is good weapon, along with your fingers when you hit a bad tangle. Those flimsy mane combs do nothing. Sometimes hair brushes ment for humans might work nicely(the ones with sparse plastic bristles(?)), but they are small so it might take more time.

*_Vanished_* wrote:I have a question: I rode Radda again today and right now he had an english saddle, average tack with a snaffle bit, but he doesn't respond too smoothly for a request to slow down from his canter. I've used all types of signals on him and he hasn't responded nicely to them. Aside form that he's great and an angel. Does anyone know if any kinds of tack can help his problem?
Thanks guys!

If he works othervise fine, then it is not a tack issue, hence it can not really be 'fixed' by changing tack. :/ Some horses like to canter, so are harder to slow down from canter. His new to you as well, so maybe there is a button in him that you've yet to find to get him slow down better from canter? When Heta was being a butt with transitions, we just worked and worked on them. Now things work with no tug-o-wars.
Can we pretend that the airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars?
I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now...
Hime

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby scene_kid » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 am

*_Vanished_* wrote:Wow everyone's horses they ride are soooo gorgeous XD

I have a question: I rode Radda again today and right now he had an english saddle, average tack with a snaffle bit, but he doesn't respond too smoothly for a request to slow down from his canter. I've used all types of signals on him and he hasn't responded nicely to them. Aside form that he's great and an angel. Does anyone know if any kinds of tack can help his problem?
Thanks guys!

As Hime said this is not a tack problem. Try half halting prior to asking for the downward transition. If he is throwing his head to ignore the bit try a martingale. The one thing I can suggest is asking for the transition on a small circle as the circle has to slow him down naturally so then asking for the transition will aid him to slow further. Hope this helps and makes sense.
btw Mandy-Lou22 is soooo amazing wanna give her a massive hug
also thank you to Asura for giving me my dream pet
also thank you to AiraSkylar for giving be the 08 advent of my dreams
another thank you to ~Amberleaf~ who gave me 3 free rares!

scene_kid

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jet pack blues » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:03 am

@Hime:
Wow, thanks! Of course it's still winter where I'm at, so I don't think Sorrel's getting a bath anytime soon.
On a good note, though, when it does get warm and I have enough time I'll get to work on this c;
I normally use my old hair brush since it works wonderfully and it's a good way of recycling stuff I don use anymore. Also, I love cowboy magic! I used to use it, but then my dad decided to switch to the Show Sheen we use now, which is in a spray form. I'll have to ask him if he can get us some more of that stuff next time he goes to the feed store.
This is going to take a lot of time -.- oh well, grooming is good bonding time!

And another thing:
Tomorrow Sorrel and I are going barrel racing! This is our third time going, and each time we've been getting better and better! If I can get on tomorrow then I'll try and get some pics up and tell y'all how it went.
If not, then expect them as soon as possible ;)

EDIT
@opal:
Thanks for the new thread my chocolate covered rainbow sprinkle bear!
Last edited by jet pack blues on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jet pack blues

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bluebird22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 am

Still on first page!

@Daughter of Hades: my friend does a bit of trick riding on her Percheron x mare. Stuff like riding backwards, around the world, standing up, sliding down her butt, etc. I have tried doing a few of the things on Ace, but I am always worried about him spooking (he is a scardy cat)

@chaachee:Cinder is adorable <3 there is a standerbread gelding at my barn who looks just like him, but he is an old guy named Juice.

@Vanished: I agree with Hime, changing tack won't do much unless you use a stronger bit, but that is the quick way out and won't solve the underlying problem. Ace's "go" button is always on, and when I started leasing him I was terrified to canter because it was a weird canter to sit, but he also wouldn't slow down. To help with this my trainer, D, wouldn't let me canter until I was nearing the end of my lesson, and during the rest of the lesson we did transition, after transition, after transition, mixed in with leg yields, half passes, and turns on the forehand to say "hey, here is my leg(and rein), listen to it". Doing w/t dressage tests are amazing to get them relaxed and listing to you because it really forces both of you to pay attention to what your doing.

And of course, @Opal: Thanks for making the new thread :3

I am now temporary full leasing Ace! His other leaser broke her foot at work and doesn't know how long until she can ride, but K need his care taken over and him being exercised so she gave me the extra days for no extra cost! I feel so bad for K she is due the first week of February and these past few days have been really hard on her. She is feeling awful and isn't used to not doing much, so she is going stir crazy in her house. Not to mention all this stuff going on with the feeders/turn out schedule,and leaser. But i am so excited to be able to take over his care and riding schedule. Plus it gives me a chance to work out some of the bad habits he learned how to get away with from the other leaser.

I am also looking into getting some paddock boots and half chaps, and some cheaper field boots for show. My beautiful boots are too small and the zipper broke, so we are getting it fixed then selling them. They retail at $300 so I'm hoping to make at least $70-$85. Any suggestion on good paddock boots and chaps?

I had a fairly easy ride today, but took him over some ground polls, and tomorrow we are raising them to cavalettis (but only raising one side). I will be riding with my two friend in the morning (they don't have school) then might be going to the tack shop to try on boots and get some brushes :)
Bluebird22

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sweater » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 am

ooh, pretty new thread. <3
it smells of fresh hay and horse shampoo. ~

aah, thank you very much to everyone who helped me with the whole "riding on the road" deal! I asked an older woman friend of mine who's ridden since she was a very young girl and she told me that she's ridden all over my town without any difficulty. I checked out some of the links you guys provided and now I think I've come to the conclusion that I can definitely ride on the road here. c:
if pan won't be a bum and flip out every time a car drives by, aha.

anywho, I want to try to be more apart of this thread. C:
so, does anyone have an idea of what the general conversation is right now?
sweater

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ayomi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:34 am

I have a question :3
So, the pony that I ride sometimes is a brat >.< He doesn't listen to me if I want him to turn when he is trotting. He either stops trotting and walks or immediately speeds up which is dangerous.
Does anyone have any tips on how to control him better?
    I wanna be a cool kid
ayomi

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Nocte Luna » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 pm

@kitty ; ;
If he walks, trot him around, keep trying, don't just give up. Use your leg as best you can, don't pull on the reins and use more leg than hand. Carry a crop if you need to. If he gets to speedy, then slow your trot with your seat as best you can. If that doesn't help, make an inwards spiral, but don't make it too tight.
-hunters/equitation-great comet-
[29 gifts sent to other players-10 gifts sent to me-1 mutual gifting]
There is no such thing as random, there is always a probability of something, no matter how small or unlikely, happening.
Nocte Luna

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me