Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby paleosuchus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:23 am

I don't ride but I am starting next year. Any tips for a new rider?
Selene . they/them
aries . adult
Hoarding the Halloween’22 gummy snakes!
Stay foolish to Stay sane

Pet's name: Gumsworth, Lord of the Gumlings
credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby northy. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:29 am

hey guys!

i'm doing a research project. the topic i would like to do is on horses, have you got any ideas on things i could do, do you have any burning questions or things you'd like to learn abut? i would really appreciate ideas and will take all into consideration. shoot me a pm or reply on here and i will get back to you soon!

-ryan
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:29 am

ryan ross. wrote:
    hey guys!

i'm doing a research project. the topic i would like to do is on horses, have you got any ideas on things i could do, do you have any burning questions or things you'd like to learn abut? i would really appreciate ideas and will take all into consideration. shoot me a pm or reply on here and i will get back to you soon!

-ryan

i think it depends for what you need this project ..is it for fun, for work or school or such....or because you dont like horses and want to show that they are not needed...this can be one thing too...
and how much do you know about horses...how much time do you got for this...and how much time do you can put it each day....a vet that can help, a good riding school...a trainer or pro groomer or rider...and such..

maybe ..
- EMS, laminitis and things like it..how to prevent it, theright Training, food..as it could help the already active projects of vet and other research worldwide..and sadly lot of horses get it^^....but his is big thing..

or
- why are horses still so important for human (and they are!!)
- why they need bether protection, or bigger stall...more pasture time.. and how to do this...with law protection
- perfect training for young and/or/ old horses... or bether way to train rider
- the best way to groom white horses..or black horses (both are really not so easy^^)
maybe i can think of something else when i know how much time you have...(like you have a week a month, a year...)

--> would be interesting to know what you did in the end, maybe you like to tell us :D

@
honeybears »

maybe learn as much as possible about horses, horse care, feeding, grooming, riding,about the way you want to ride (like western, dressage, jumping,trail ride, driving, ground work....)
get the needed clothing not to late...nothing fancy or high prized as you dont know if you want to keep riding
warm up bevor you ride and maybe after too

..you could already help in a barn, like cleaning stall and pasture...grooming horses or such...there you learn something about horses

@ Enchanted
nice to see you again :mrgreen:
great to read about all you did ( School, Show season, teaching your Student...it sounds as if you got a second horse?),training,fan page for buck), that all sounds like good work!!
how are the donkey, can you ride or drive them already or do they work well at hand? ^^
hope we see some new pic soon^^

@ Hime
I did manage to get Heta eat like one quarter of her usual amount, but it took like 4 times pelleted stuff on top of it to get her to eat all of it. It's just slightly concerning as Heta's not really a picky eater at all... :/ I asked around among other Icelandic horse owners in facebook and apparently there are some differances among linseed products even if they seem to be same stuff. One said it hasn't mattered to her horses, but one boarder's horse at L's has apparently also refused to eat the linseed at one point last month even though they didn't even switch products.
Oil would be good option for good fats source, but it only contains energy and protein is more what I need at this point... We shall see, I get to test out if she eats the old stuff on Sunday. If that fails then I need bump up her other feed amounts, as she has also lost some weight during this month and that is not good at all.

maybe some...honey or cinnamon...or a little bit of sweet horse feed....or bether some apple or applesauce could help?
hope she now eats more again^^
that you have fun at School
how is heta and ty with riding in the Moment, bether?
Last edited by Luzien on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby northy. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:05 am

Luzien wrote:-snip-

i think it depends for what you need this project ..is it for fun, for work or school or such....or because you dont like horses and want to show that they are not needed...this can be one thing too...
    and how much do you know about horses...how much time do you got for this...and how much time do you can put it each day....a vet that can help, a good riding school...a trainer or pro groomer or rider...and such..

maybe ..
    - EMS, laminitis and things like it..how to prevent it, theright Training, food..as it could help the already active projects of vet and other research worldwide..and sadly lot of horses get it^^....but his is big thing..

or
    - why are horses still so important for human (and they are!!)
    - why they need bether protection and how to do this...with law protection
    - perfect training for young and/or/ old horses... or bether way to train rider
    - the best way to groom white horses..or black horses (both are really not so easy^^)
    maybe i can think of something else when i know how much time you have...(like you have a week a month, a year...)

--> would be interesting to know what you did in the end, maybe you like to tell us :D

its for a qualification called an EPQ and i have to choose a project in 2 weeks and will have until may or so to finish it. i've been ridng on and off due to costs since i was about 4 and volunteered at a stables for several years and have started to volunteer at a new stables now (it a long story as to why i left the old barn, for another day maybe). I will be working towards it for quite a few hours of the week (roughly an hour or two a day but i'd rather condense it into a few days just for preference) i want to choose horses since i already to learn those sorts of thing for fun like things regarding bitless, rugs, stables and such. i don't want to do those since i have an opinion already and this is meant to be non-bias.

i considered perfect training in relation to stomach ulcers from long training but feel like i already have too much of an opinion on that also. I am wanting to do something with animals and have multiple ideas. i might do media or science/veterinary related things. i am very willing to call companies and arrange interviews also. I am really intrigued by so many of those suggestions and want to say thank you! I will have a but of a ponder and try get more suggestion from people and see what would be best, thanks again!
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Livid-Silver » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:20 am

Sorry, I disappeared off the face of the planet again lol Uni got so busy because we're heading to the end of semester and apparently all assignments had to be due in the same week -.- Only three more weeks until exams and then I am free for the rest of the year!! I look forward to that :lol: Reggie has been trucking along, still working on much the same, just enhancing it a bit. He'll have a spell over the exam period, which he should enjoy and hopefully won't get bored. V has been really happy with him lately, so I'm pleased with that! A little video from my last lesson and going to have another one next week which I'm looking forward to :D We were talking about maybe trying a small set of spurs on him, just because using a whip is a bit clunky and he's usually pretty reliable with moving off from my seat anyway. See what V says anyway.
I went and visited Cleo today as well (been up since 4 this morning and its now 11:30pm, so please forgive any mistakes/sentences which don't make sense :lol:) and she's pretty dang happy too. In fact, I don't think I've seen that mare happier, she is loving the broody life a tad too much. Cleo and her paddock mate, Cullentime, seem to have a sort of truce now rather than a strict love-hate relationship and they were both so happy to come up and get some scratches and a brush. They both wintered so well and I don't think either of them lost an ounce of condition, if anything I think they gained some weight (not including baby belly of course lol). I'm not sure how many days Cullentime is other than she's further along than Cleo is, and Cleo will be 320 days on Monday. Heading towards the tail end of it all and I'm crossing my fingers for two happy healthy foals and two happy healthy mares in the next few weeks. Both of them are starting to bag up, Cleo moreso than Cullentime, so she maay go early but I'm not holding my breathe. Going back up in another two weeks to move them both up into the foaling yards, unless they suddenly decide to spring it on us :lol: D is going to keep an eye on them and check them over each day, so hopefully we won't get caught unawares. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it all goes to plan in any case! And have some photo spam :p I put them all into Imgur, just because there are a far few of them and I didn't want to clutter up the board lol
Clicky
Bottom two are Cullentime, all the others are Cleo for those who haven't seen them before.

~~~

@Hime; I am so jelly of Tý's mane!! That is gorgeous! I wish Reggie's mane got that long, but alas, half of it has been rubbed out from his winter rug >.< He sounds like he's doing pretty well considering he isn't ridden all that often :) Balance is one of those unfortunate things that only comes with time, but once it clicks it usually sticks lol Not so good that Heta wasn't enjoying the new feed, might just be an adjustment for her? Settling in stress? I hope she's better with it now.

@Tenturo; Could Sassy have been in season when she was being bit of a pain? I know mares do some funny things when they are in season lol Or change in the grass? Good grass can cause them to go a bit loopy lol

@What is your opinion on costumes on/involving people's horses? I think they're really cool! Some people come up with some pretty impressive stuff! Desensitizing the horse to the costume and doing a trial run before the actual event is probably a good idea though. Then you can check everything works/looks as it should and the horse is accustom to it before adding the extra stress of a show environment.

@ξƞçɧαƞtєđ; Buck sounds like he's doing awesome! His little fan page sounds cool too, I bet he is chuffed with that lol

@ryan ross.; There is a heap of stuff you could do your project on, depending on what areas you've got interest in. I'm not 100% what an EPQ is/entails but you could look at management issues, like horses with headshakers ad how to cope with it, different turn-out/stabling situations, conditioning/training of thoroughbreds vs standardbreds. If you've got an interest in anatomy you could look at ideal conformation of a showjumper vs a dressage horse (or whatever other disciplines) and WHY that conformation is ideal. Feeding is a fairly broad topic which could also be a good topic for your report. Do you have any other specific interests within horses that you'd want to study?
Livid-Silver

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:39 am

@
honeybears »

maybe learn as much as possible about horses, horse care, feeding, grooming, riding,about the way you want to ride (like western, dressage, jumping,trail ride, driving, ground work....)
get the needed clothing not to late...nothing fancy or high prized as you dont know if you want to keep riding
warm up bevor you ride and maybe after too

..you could already help in a barn, like cleaning stall and pasture...grooming horses or such...there you learn something about horses

Thanks for the advice! I am testing a job at a horse stable tomorrow! My younger sister works there so she is letting me test it out to see if I like the job but also for the stable owner to make sure I am capable of working around horses and the other people at the barn. Its stuff like cleaning the stalls and saddle pads and stuff. I'm pretty excited.
Selene . they/them
aries . adult

credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby northy. » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:40 am

Amy Pond wrote:
@ryan ross.; There is a heap of stuff you could do your project on, depending on what areas you've got interest in. I'm not 100% what an EPQ is/entails but you could look at management issues, like horses with headshakers ad how to cope with it, different turn-out/stabling situations, conditioning/training of thoroughbreds vs standardbreds. If you've got an interest in anatomy you could look at ideal conformation of a showjumper vs a dressage horse (or whatever other disciplines) and WHY that conformation is ideal. Feeding is a fairly broad topic which could also be a good topic for your report. Do you have any other specific interests within horses that you'd want to study?

thanks for the suggestions, i especially love the difference between discipline conformation. I don't have any specific ideas for fields, just any animals, especially horse topics. i am intrigued by how correctly/best train or look after horses in certain topics as thats something i could use if i ever got my own horse (which i really ant to do and have done for about 12+years) i want to know how to make a horse most comfortable but i have researched many topics already and am not too sure on other topics similar but that i don't have a stance on.
northy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tenturo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 am

@Amy Pond
e-yup, pretty sure she was in season c: im on fall break right now so i'm hoping it'll smooth over soon.

i'm a bit conflicted though ~ i'd love to start learning english riding (especially with my mare, i feel like she'd do quite well) though my mother is bit... how do i put this.. against it? i can pay for my lessons, or work in exchange for them, at a local stable (a few minutes up the road!) but she doesn't like the idea of it because our local IEA team and english riders in general are pretty snobbish (the leader of our IEA team and her daughter are our neighbors. we used to be best friends but she's really rude, so we don't talk much anymore.)
any opinions on how i could convince her?
i'd mostly want to work at the stable on weekdays, as weekends are when i work at my actual paying job. i do think english riding would be really enjoyable though, and i'd love to expand my knowledge on it in general, i'm just not too sure of how to convince my mother to get on board (this is also in part of my younger sister wanting to start taking lessons. i can't teach her much right now because she can't fit in my saddle for my gelding, and i refuse to put her on sassy right now) and i suggested an english stable since there are a lot of them here, but she doesn't want to "deal with the rich, rude moms".
suggestions ?

░░
    i promise
    ────────────────────────────
    l
    tenturo
    she / her
    gemini
    ⋯ ⋯⋯⋯⋯
    i am
    ⋯⋯⋯⋯ ⋯
    pansexual
    infp-t
    active
    ┌─── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ─┐
    [url]comms[/url] ⋅ kalscredit ⋅ [url]n/a[/url] ⋅ to-do

└─ ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ── ───┘
    '┌─ ── ── ── ─┐
    '│─ ── ││ ── ─│
    '└─ ── ── ── ─┘
    ███
    ███
    ┌─ ── ── ── ─┐
    │─ ── ││ ── ─│
    └─ ── ── ── ─┘

'───────────────────────────────'
    worthy!!lxworthy!!
    [ ─`;.-' TO HOLD ─ ]l
    ┌ ┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄ ┐
    you matter
    sleepy
    pms open <3
    comms open
    └ ┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄┄ ┘
    ── in your ───
    [`arms.❜'

tenturo

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby paleosuchus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:45 pm

I still don't ride until next year but I did my trial run as a stable hand and love it. Theres a giant horse named Beau and he stepped on me but he didn't hurt me at all he was so gentle and another horse cuddled me. Its funny how they have personalities. One named Glory got jealous when I wouldn't talk to her, lol. Thank you soooo much for the advice its a blast! Just waiting to see whether or not I get hired for a part time job now.
Selene . they/them
aries . adult

credit . link . hoard
paleosuchus

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 am

Xuoit wrote:Sorry I took so long to reply, and yes I don't want another paint just because of a feeling

I've been riding since I was like 9, and more of an English style

By the way american paints patterns come in many different breeds you don't have to get another american paint in order to get pretty patterns never buy or adopt a horse for it's pattern. always buy snd adopt for personality and temperament.
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me