Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Do You Ride Horses? V.4

Postby ScarDolphin » Sat May 13, 2017 2:01 am

killua. wrote:I don't post much on here, but I absolutely love my mare! She has kept me safe throughout many trick shows.

Does anyone else do trick riding on here?

Wow, looks amazing! I don't have the guts to do stuff like that ahaha
─── Image ─────────────

I'm Scar // She/her // Cancer // GMT+1 //
─────────────────────────────────────
My interests: My horses // Utapri // Hypmic // Idolish7 // Genshin

───────────────────────────────────────────
⧽ --- ⧼ Trade Thread ⧽ --- ⧼

────────── Image ───
ScarDolphin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby allo vera » Sat May 13, 2017 2:19 am

Welp I had a very exciting day at the barn yesterday lol.

I've been out of town for two weeks so it was really nice to get back to the barn and ride! I started work again yesterday, and I guess the barn decided to give me all the excitement it'd been saving up for two weeks lol.

So first off, there's a new pony who I don't have a picture of unfortunately. She's a little bay horse though, and awfully cute. I got to tack her up and take her down to the ring for my instructor, as well as help get her started lunging as well. Her name is Maybelline, but that's way too long for me so I call her May.

There was a second new pony who's on trial. Her name is Lizzy and she's a brat omg. She's got a really terrible attitude about everything so idk if she'll end up staying at the barn very long. I tacked her up as well and watched my instructor ride her, she's really a decent pony when she's moving, but still. She's got a lot of sass crammed into one pony body. She's super cute though, I got a picture of her gorgeous blue eye - boop.

The worst part of the trip though was that poor Grit had an issue with his mouth - the popular theories were snakebite or abscess. His lip was really swollen, and his mouth was very tender as well. He had a cut too... he looked pretty terrible when we brought him in. Thankfully, we were able to get him cleaned up and give him some meds. I got to learn how to make a hot compress (wet towel in the microwave for two minutes apparently) and I was in charge of that. Hopefully the vet will be out soon and take an official look. Here's some pictures of the poor baby though. - boop, boop, boop.

Also someone taught me how to work the four-wheeler which was fun. It's got gears so it's a bit more complicated than others. Also the break doesn't really work but ehhh it's fine xd
allo vera

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Starwalker123 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:42 am

May is so cute
Starwalker123

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby OutFoxed » Thu May 25, 2017 11:24 am

Hello,

I am seeking Editing Help:
    Looking for help with grammar, wording, and advice.
    This is for a marketing campaign type situation dealing with Horses.

Please PM if you are able to help.

Thank you

OutFoxed

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Whippet. » Thu May 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Hey everyone! So I need some advice about a riding issue of mine lol

Not too long ago I rode my friends horse. She's a short, round pony and the saddle is a bit big on her so you have to lean back in the canter to avoid it whacking back down. Although she's small, she has a very fast canter which can get pretty bouncy! Because of this, I was told to bring my knees up more and have them 'tucked up' to the knee pad (was riding in a stock saddle). This worked well to keep me still but by doing so, I had to kind of 'wrap' my legs around her barrel. Fast forward to the following week when I was back on my usual horse (whom I've been riding for almost a year), and I couldn't stop my legs from gripping hence losing my stirrups every time! I've never had a problem with this (in the many years I've been riding), until hopping on my friends horse :lol: Some more info:
- I've always ridden English but have been riding more western since starting at my new riding place and ride in a stock saddle
- My hands, seat and legs all work independently
- I ride somewhat short (stirrup lengths), purely because I've got shorter legs and if I have them one hole down I lose my stirrups in the canter (only since riding the pony lol)
- A security/nervous thing shouldn't be the problem, as I'm not a nervous rider and have ridden difficult horses (including the one I ride now :roll: )

I was just wondering how I might fix this? These past couple of months I just can't break the habit :?: Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Formerly princess.a uvu
Whippet.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ScarDolphin » Thu May 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Whippet. wrote:

Not too long ago I rode my friends horse. She's a short, round pony and the saddle is a bit big on her so you have to lean back in the canter to avoid it whacking back down. Although she's small, she has a very fast canter which can get pretty bouncy! Because of this, I was told to bring my knees up more and have them 'tucked up' to the knee pad (was riding in a stock saddle). This worked well to keep me still but by doing so, I had to kind of 'wrap' my legs around her barrel. Fast forward to the following week when I was back on my usual horse (whom I've been riding for almost a year), and I couldn't stop my legs from gripping hence losing my stirrups every time! I've never had a problem with this (in the many years I've been riding), until hopping on my friends horse :lol: Some more info:
- I've always ridden English but have been riding more western since starting at my new riding place and ride in a stock saddle
- I ride somewhat short (stirrup lengths), purely because I've got shorter legs and if I have them one hole down I lose my stirrups in the canter (only since riding the pony lol)
- A security/nervous thing shouldn't be the problem, as I'm not a nervous rider and have ridden difficult horses (including the one I ride now :roll: )

I was just wondering how I might fix this? These past couple of months I just can't break the habit :?: Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Hey, just a thought, are you loosing your stirrups because you started gripping with your knees? If that's the case, I think it seems like you aren't putting enough weight in your feet to keep the stirrups down. Either maybe put the stirrups up or try to keep the weight down on the stirrups? Just an idea!
─── Image ─────────────

I'm Scar // She/her // Cancer // GMT+1 //
─────────────────────────────────────
My interests: My horses // Utapri // Hypmic // Idolish7 // Genshin

───────────────────────────────────────────
⧽ --- ⧼ Trade Thread ⧽ --- ⧼

────────── Image ───
ScarDolphin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Whippet. » Thu May 25, 2017 10:43 pm

scardolphin wrote:
Whippet. wrote:

Hey, just a thought, are you loosing your stirrups because you started gripping with your knees? If that's the case, I think it seems like you aren't putting enough weight in your feet to keep the stirrups down. Either maybe put the stirrups up or try to keep the weight down on the stirrups? Just an idea!

No matter how many times I remind myself to keep my heels down, my knee finds its way up lol I'm at the highest stirrup hole and most people say they are too high however if they were lower, the problem would be worse lol I've considered going back to some no stirrup work however the horse I ride isn't quite suited to that. She's unpredictable and jumps into a gallop if you don't let her go when she wants to go :roll: which has made me come unstuck a few times ahahaha
Formerly princess.a uvu
Whippet.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HoneyLavender࿐ » Thu May 25, 2017 10:44 pm

I ride. I have ridden for a while now

████████ Image

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Non-Binary - They/Them - Europe
Kalons - BM's - 𝕸𝖔𝖔𝖓𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙#5098 - ©
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HoneyLavender࿐

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby buckskin. » Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 pm

So I haven't posted in some time and boy do I have an update!

So I've been riding a fair bit lately and I think it has started to pay off during Pony Club interclub days and stuff. It was two week back now when I had my first proper buck off, hehe, it was actually pretty funny in my opinion so atleast I can look at it in a funny way,
so this is the story:

Last Saturday I ended up going at the trail centre to help out with the trail rides and ride my little mare as she needed to be worked after two weeks off due to me not having the time and other things out there. She was feeling a little fresh for starters and I knew she was going to do something stupid from the get go. As soon as I entered the yards with my bridle she was off and ran around like a chook with no head for some time until I cornered her between two very temperamental horses and made sure I had her attention before actually catching her. Due to her little shenanigans I decided it would be a good idea to get her feet moving in the roundpen but that didn't really pay off (it may have but i dunno). When I saddled her up she was surprisingly well behaved and was good in the yards for the most part.

She was pretty chill during the trail until I had to take a rider for a canter, the rider was experienced and I got along with her so I didn't mind but the excitement worked her up pretty bad and there were a few pigroots, nothing major but I could feel that she had more in her. Despite this, when my boss instructed me to move a few cattle I decided that "hey, whats the worse that can happen?" and I think we all know how this ended. Despite my best efforts to keep her chill, the movement of the cattle and her love for chasing them overpowered my instructions and when I didn't let her go for a gallop she decided to buck. Now when I say buck, I mean little bucks just to tell me that she wanted to go but I personally wanted to teach her that she cannot. The first few bucks were fine, I rode them out just like I've done before but I wasn't expecting her leap and lost my stirrup. Due to landing off she pigrooted again and I hit the ground pretty hard.

I'm actually surprised that I didn't do more damage to myself but thankfully I only copped a few bruises and I winded myself which is to be expected. I'm thankful that she went back to the group because it's like a 50 acre paddock and I don't feel like catching her in that big of a paddock. I got straight back on and to my boss's instruction worked her pretty hard in the arena afterwards and she didn't do anything too bad on the Sunday besides a pigroot or too but again, I was told to work her attitude out in the arena which I'm glad I did.

Last weekend (the one that just passed) we had our Pony Club Campdraft/Sporting day on the Saturday and our Interclub on the Sunday. She was very well behaved all weekend and didn't pigroot or buck once which I'm very happy with. I'm very proud of my pony after how well she preformed for me and we came home with many ribbons including: Equal 5th in the draft, 4th in the Pleasure Hack, 4th in the Bareback hack, 2nd in both the Mug race and Flags finals, 3rd in Keyhole, 4th in Bend-Bar-Aft, 5th in Pony Twist and few others which I can't remember.

I don't really have a question this time to do with my personal riding but I guess a question is What is your favourite fall of a horse?
Thunderbolt Tolter Stable-Gypsy stable
    one day i woke up and smiled for the memories we had, instead of crying for the memories that we cant make
buckskin.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zliti » Fri May 26, 2017 1:46 am

@MiloThePitBull

Well, that sounds like an adventure and a half. My favorite fall would have to be one that happened last summer or so. We were out on the trail, and going a bit faster than we should have been. One minute, we were loping, the next I was on the ground. Luckily, it was sandy territory and the mule didn't roll over me. Nothing too extreme from that, just a couple of swollen elbows and a pretty scratched up face. I was reaaaaally lucky that day.

So, just a little bit of an update from me as well. I've been taking the mule out by herself, and trying to get her used to riding without a group. Wouldn't you know, my bombproof molly was suddenly scared of a bird on the other side of the field. To say the least, it's been interesting trying to get her to listen to me. She still bends just as well as if she were calm, I think she's just looking for a way to spook and get me off her back so she can go back to her herd mates. However, her momma is a Belgian, and I very much doubt she realizes she can get her feet more than a foot off the ground.
zliti

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me