Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
5%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 466

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby Mothmanofficial » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:20 am

Barb_ wrote:
Sparkfire wrote:
Barb_ wrote:Username: Barb_
Why are you joining: I have a small home flock of chooks and would love to join the club.
Favorite poultry bird: Chickens, I love my Japanese Chabos and Cochins
Other: Most of my birds are cast off and barnyard crossed. I've had chooks for about 10 years and I'm always learning new things.

Welcome! I love Cochins too! I have never heard of Japanese Chabos before though. Could you tell me about them?

Thanks for the welcome. I would love to tell you about them, they are super pets.
Chabo are true bantams, meaning there never was a full-sized counterpart. They are usually white with black mixed into the tail and flight feathers on the wings. They have very short legs, large combs, and wattles.

Mine have very docile personalities, roos included and the hens are very broody and have made good mothers for my mixed flock. I got mine from a friend who breeds them. They are a heritage breed and she likes to promote the old style breeds.

You can see a picture >here< at my pet chicken. com

Ooh they are pretty. I will probably get some bantams (whatever is in the bantam bin at tractor supply). This will probably be silkies and silver seabrights and whatever else they have. I have two flocks because my two polish hens had complications with integrating into the flock and want some friends for them. I am leaning towards bantams because the polish are at a disadvantage with the crests so the the size of the bantams will even them out.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonGamingGirl » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:38 am

Sparkfire wrote:
DragonGamingGirl wrote:I’m unsure if this is the right chat for this, but it was the only thread I could find specifically about poultry. I just got my first ever set of chicks that were raising. They are Amerecauno pullet I believe? That’s what it said in the store I believe. Well, there’s this one tiny chick that hasn’t been walking around, eating or drinking, and every so often it chirps really REALLY loudly. It sounds really distressed. It just kinda sits there and the other chicks trample it. As soon as I pick it up, it stops chirping but makes quieter, quicker chirps. She also can’t seem to keep her head up. Is there something wrong with it?

Edit: they are chickens to be specific lol. I forgot to mention that

I had one like that before. She did not develop right and died. That said, just because that happened to her does not mean something else is wrong with yours. Check the vent (where the waste comes out). Is her butt just fuzzy or is there a lot of dirt around it? Check the nostrils. Nothing coming out? Good. If fluids are coming out, that is a sign something is wrong. She also could have a mineral defficiency. Are her legs like the others or kind of splayed out?
@Luzina chicks are never to young to be away from their mothers. Besides, this one probably was brooder raised and never even knew its mother, so I am going to say that missing its mother is not the case here as it might be with other chicks.

Sorry for being so late, sadly the chick died a few hours after I made this pst. There were no fluids coming out at all, but her legs were kind of splayed out. We think because my little sister decided to get into the chicks and handle that one a lot she may have accidentally snapped it’s neck, or the other chicks trampled it. :(
You laugh at us because we're different

|-/•Dragon•She/Her•Bisexual•Taken•|-/

╔═════════════╗

Hoi! Im Dragon,
I'm obsessed with PATD and
Undertale! I also
Like twenty one pilots and I
don't bite so feel
free to PM me or send me a
trade!
Adoption Center

╚═════════════╝

We laugh at you because you're all the same

DragonGamingGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonGamingGirl » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:43 am

Username: DragonGamingGirl
Why are you joining: well, I’m new to raising chickens, so I figure this would be a good place to learn!
Favorite poultry bird: so far the chickens I like best are the black sex links. They’re very beautiful and friendly birds. (at least that’s what they were listed as at Rural King)
Other: I have 11 chicks so far :lol: and my German shepherd wants to be friends with them

╔═════════════╗

Hoi! Im Dragon,
Undertale! I also
don't bite so feel
trade!
Adoption Center

╚═════════════╝

DragonGamingGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:08 am

DragonGamingGirl wrote:Username: DragonGamingGirl
Why are you joining: well, I’m new to raising chickens, so I figure this would be a good place to learn!
Favorite poultry bird: so far the chickens I like best are the black sex links. They’re very beautiful and friendly birds. (at least that’s what they were listed as at Rural King)
Other: I have 11 chicks so far :lol: and my German shepherd wants to be friends with them

Welcome. Oh I loved my black star to death. When something ate her I thought I would never stop missing her. The only problem with them is you will probably go through so much feed. I only had one, but she pretty much was eating or searching around the yard for bugs and clover to eat. And when she wasnt, she did not run around like the other birds. She sat in a dirt pit in the shade. Sitting there was convenient, because she also could reach a puddle, and an old plastic barrel with rotting leaves in it (worms were abundant in the rotting leaf barrel) and dust bathe when she felt like it. They are gorgeous, and a bit plump too (I like nice plump healthy looking birds, everyone asks if my leghorns and polish get enough to eat, but it is just their build and fast metabolism that keeps them slim).When the sun hits their black feathers they gleam all green and purple, and with the gold on the neck, they are beautiful birds. Congrats, you got some really beautiful cuddle bugs for a flock!
Edit: sorry to hear about the chick. I had a gut feeling that would happen when I heard it was under the weather. I dont think it was your sister. If she snapped the neck it would have died much much faster. Some just fail to thrive, so I always get one or two more than I want to end up with after brooding just in case I lose one or two.

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ClickSpam » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Username: ClickSpam

Why are you joining: I love chickens, I used to own some but due to a faulty chicken coop and a neighborhood full of strays and raccoons, they were picked off one by one. Once me and my mom move to a new house we plan on raising the money to make a proper coop and start raising poultry again.

Favorite poultry bird: Bearded d'uccles! They have so much personality.

Other: I used to do showmanship and had a rooster D'uccle who would literally sit on my couch and watch movies with me, he had a brother with a crossed over beak and they would both follow me around each day. Sadly the cross beak died early from sickness and my show rooster died years later from the heat... Curse Florida summers :(
*Enter Random Signature Here*
ClickSpam

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonGamingGirl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:01 am

Sparkfire wrote:
DragonGamingGirl wrote:Username: DragonGamingGirl

Welcome. Oh I loved my black star to death. When something ate her I thought I would never stop missing her. The only problem with them is you will probably go through so much feed. I only had one, but she pretty much was eating or searching around the yard for bugs and clover to eat. And when she wasnt, she did not run around like the other birds. She sat in a dirt pit in the shade. Sitting there was convenient, because she also could reach a puddle, and an old plastic barrel with rotting leaves in it (worms were abundant in the rotting leaf barrel) and dust bathe when she felt like it. They are gorgeous, and a bit plump too (I like nice plump healthy looking birds, everyone asks if my leghorns and polish get enough to eat, but it is just their build and fast metabolism that keeps them slim).When the sun hits their black feathers they gleam all green and purple, and with the gold on the neck, they are beautiful birds. Congrats, you got some really beautiful cuddle bugs for a flock!
Edit: sorry to hear about the chick. I had a gut feeling that would happen when I heard it was under the weather. I dont think it was your sister. If she snapped the neck it would have died much much faster. Some just fail to thrive, so I always get one or two more than I want to end up with after brooding just in case I lose one or two.

Yeah, we thought it was my sister at first because it was doing fine before she was playing with them, but it probably wasn’t now that I think about it. We ended up getting six new ones after that and they all seem to be doing pretty well though, we had one big chick that wasn’t eating or drinking at first but it has been running around and eating so I think it’s safe. All of them eat a LOT. I have to refill their (very large) feeders about every 30 minutes to and hour. I’ve gotten them to eat out of my hand too lol.

╔═════════════╗

Hoi! Im Dragon,
Undertale! I also
don't bite so feel
trade!
Adoption Center

╚═════════════╝

DragonGamingGirl

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:26 am

to the eat a lot..
could you not use a slow feeder ..a foraging toy for food ,and/or mix fruit and vegi and greens and maybe insect and mineral-vit., under the normal feed, then they will slow down and will eat not so much, one with chicken near us does this. :D
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cloven » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:29 am

Username: Disreputable
Why are you joining: I have five chickens!
Favorite poultry bird: obviously my own chickens!
Other: I love that they have a chat for this.

Question: is there any way to stop my chickens from eating their nests?

owo~ ℂ𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖𝕟 ~
boooo… He/Him/His

❁ Loves Coffee
❁ I am fairly active on here
❁ Feel free to call me Disrep
❁ I love to gift c:
❁ I love scenery items!
❁ I use multiple devices

CharactersKalonsArt

cloven

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 am

When I find an image hosting site that works with this, I will show you guys some of my chickens.
@ Disreputable
Do you mean like eating the bedding out of their nest boxes? I have found that using straw helps. Hay is animal food, and wood shavings, chickens just like to eat those. They will still eat the bedding, and you will have to change it, but there is no way to stop them from eating it. If you mean eggs, They could be bored, hungry/ lacking calcium, or they just developed a taste for them. I had that problem where they developed a taste for them, and were eating the eggs because they liked them. I found some stones that looked like eggs (You can also buy fake eggs). They pecked them and it hurt so they stopped. Boredom and nutrition are harder to catch. Just make sure you are letting them free range or have a run and coop large enough for them, and are feeding them layer feed (That should give them enough calcium).

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonGamingGirl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:07 am

Luzien wrote:to the eat a lot..
could you not use a slow feeder ..a foraging toy for food ,and/or mix fruit and vegi and greens and maybe insect and mineral-vit., under the normal feed, then they will slow down and will eat not so much, one with chicken near us does this. :D

I’ll have to try that! The feeder were using now is this little metal bowl with a cover and holes in it for the food to come out, and to put food in you fill a mason jar with the food and screw it on top.

╔═════════════╗

Hoi! Im Dragon,
Undertale! I also
don't bite so feel
trade!
Adoption Center

╚═════════════╝