Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
5%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 466

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby Luzien » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am

do you feed enough cut greens and fruit, insect, mineral powder for babys and the right feed for them ? do they have a heat lamp and enough water ...i would take her away from the other for protection, keep her watered and feed and warm under high enough heat lamp or those baby chicken heating table thingens..

and when possible ask the vet as soon as possible or go there today...sometimes it is a little thing, like that she is still to young or needs more food and keeper more warm and away from being hurt by larger chicken^^

how is her temp, the beak, nose holes, eyes, the feather and skin...her legs? when she is chirping like crazy and goes calm when you take her into the Hands, maybe she misses her mother and is to young to be away from her, or is cold.
you maybe could put a soft towel loose around her so she can put head onto it...not sure...i think i did see this somewhere in bird Forum...vet can say if this helps.

the vet can help you bether, give them a call.^^
hope all goes well.
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 am

DragonGamingGirl wrote:I’m unsure if this is the right chat for this, but it was the only thread I could find specifically about poultry. I just got my first ever set of chicks that were raising. They are Amerecauno pullet I believe? That’s what it said in the store I believe. Well, there’s this one tiny chick that hasn’t been walking around, eating or drinking, and every so often it chirps really REALLY loudly. It sounds really distressed. It just kinda sits there and the other chicks trample it. As soon as I pick it up, it stops chirping but makes quieter, quicker chirps. She also can’t seem to keep her head up. Is there something wrong with it?

Edit: they are chickens to be specific lol. I forgot to mention that

I had one like that before. She did not develop right and died. That said, just because that happened to her does not mean something else is wrong with yours. Check the vent (where the waste comes out). Is her butt just fuzzy or is there a lot of dirt around it? Check the nostrils. Nothing coming out? Good. If fluids are coming out, that is a sign something is wrong. She also could have a mineral defficiency. Are her legs like the others or kind of splayed out?
@Luzina chicks are never to young to be away from their mothers. Besides, this one probably was brooder raised and never even knew its mother, so I am going to say that missing its mother is not the case here as it might be with other chicks.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Luzien » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:59 am

@ Sparkfire
...really? never to young...alright, sorry that i did not know that it is so with chicken ....is this with all of them? :oops:
i really only did know chicks that where raised by there mother or "foster mother" so they chirped like crazy when they where lost or taken away from there mother with some weeks or even taken into the hands of visiting children, some did calm down other got more calm when put down next to there mother :)
and the same for 5, that i once did see at this farm, thad had to go into the brooder as mother never did take care of the eggs but only chicks..dont know why...they where put under there mother after hatching, so i did think it was normal like this :)
good to know, that they can be away from a mother when other chicks are there with them. one really never learns out, thank you for telling me :D
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:17 pm

@luzien
Yeah it os true with anything that hatches all fuzzy like chicks, ducklings, and peacocks. Only if it is born bald and blind does it need its mom.

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Barb_ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Username: Barb_
Why are you joining: I have a small home flock of chooks and would love to join the club.
Favorite poultry bird: Chickens, I love my Japanese Chabos and Cochins
Other: Most of my birds are cast off and barnyard crossed. I've had chooks for about 10 years and I'm always learning new things.
Barb_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:40 am

Barb_ wrote:Username: Barb_
Why are you joining: I have a small home flock of chooks and would love to join the club.
Other: Most of my birds are cast off and barnyard crossed. I've had chooks for about 10 years and I'm always learning new things.

Welcome! I love cochins too! I have never heard of Japanese Chabos before though. Could you tell me about them?

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:46 am

Sparkfire wrote:@luzien
Yeah it os true with anything that hatches all fuzzy like chicks, ducklings, and peacocks. Only if it is born bald and blind does it need its mom.

They DO however need artificial warmth for the first four to six weeks till they grow their feathers and can regulate their own body temperature. With either a heat lamp or eco glo

As far as the original question...
In my 30 plus years experience, chicks that don't thrive right off the bat will never thrive and eventually die anyway. The behavior described is a chick in distress for some reason. If all others are fine and this one is noisy and small and not doing well, most likely there's something wrong with it. Harsh as it sounds, I don't waste my time on those chicks as they're not beneficial to the flock in any way and will die and break your heart anyway. All you're doing is prolonging the inevitable by trying to nurse them :(
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 am

'Possum wrote:
Sparkfire wrote:@luzien

They DO however need artificial warmth for the first four to six weeks till they grow their feathers and can regulate their own body temperature. With either a heat lamp or eco glo

As far as the original question...
In my 30 plus years experience, chicks that don't thrive right off the bat will never thrive and eventually die anyway. The behavior described is a chick in distress for some reason. If all others are fine and this one is noisy and small and not doing well, most likely there's something wrong with it. Harsh as it sounds, I don't waste my time on those chicks as they're not beneficial to the flock in any way and will die and break your heart anyway. All you're doing is prolonging the inevitable by trying to nurse them :(

Oops did I forget to say that? In 9 years of doing this, some things just seem like common sense and I forget to say them because I ust never think "Oh what if someone did not think that?"

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:55 am

Yeah lol it's pretty much something "everybody knows" and chicks are super easy to raise compared to so many other babies. Just making sure. ^_^
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Barb_ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:39 am

Sparkfire wrote:
Barb_ wrote:Username: Barb_

Welcome! I love Cochins too! I have never heard of Japanese Chabos before though. Could you tell me about them?

Thanks for the welcome. I would love to tell you about them, they are super pets.
Chabo are true bantams, meaning there never was a full-sized counterpart. They are usually white with black mixed into the tail and flight feathers on the wings. They have very short legs, large combs, and wattles.

Mine have very docile personalities, roos included and the hens are very broody and have made good mothers for my mixed flock. I got mine from a friend who breeds them. They are a heritage breed and she likes to promote the old style breeds.

You can see a picture >here< at my pet chicken. com
Barb_

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me