Poultry Lovers Club

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Which type of fowl is your favorite?

Standard Chicken
34%
Duck
15%
Geese
3%
Turkey
3%
Peafowl
5%
Pigeons
14%
Bantams
18%
Other
8%

Total votes : 466

Re: Poultry Lovers -- Chat Thread/Club

Postby Luzien » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:24 am

there are interesting diy toys you can make for birds and chicken too....
some from wood, or a bottle, with a metalic mesh net over other so they cant get stuck, you can let them roll around and when picked on treats or Food falls out, or hang it up even different ones (like on a branch you did hang low with an other a bit higher up and at those you hang the feeder and toys^^)so they have to work more hard or easy for there food...but still watch if they get enough maybe put part in the bowl and part in the toys and foraging feeder.
i once did see some interesting Thing with an small strwa bale and bark and some branches, with some with leaves for the chicken to eat...or food in ood (like a apple willed with reisin or insects the birds like, with small holes to pick them out and such things^^)
some birds learn fast other slow, some work bether with one Thing other with an other, so try out what works for all or use two three feeder or toys^^

but always watch that they all still get enough, that they cant get stuck or hurt, no sharp places or such, and bird helthy wood^^

hope you tell when you try something or even show pic when something really works well :D
Please klick them or they will die°°!!!
http://dragcave.net/user/Miriya I really search for the 2013 SUMMER EVENT missed pets
- the store pets and pets from wl, I search for german shepherds and rainbow doted dogs of '09--other dream pets ) RPG Costumes -Mage - Necromancer--RPG Flags and Banner-sun- moon...^//^
search this items:
Image-Image--Image-Image-Image
Luzien

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soundgarden » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:08 am

Username: SoundGarden
Why are you joining: I like to see other poultry lovers
Favorite poultry bird: Chickens
I currently have 31

5 Rhode Island Reds
4 Barred Rocks
2 California Whites
2 White Leg Horns
2 Black Australorps
2 Jersey Giants
1 Buff Orphington
2 Barnevelders
2 Wyandottes
1 Cream Leg Bar
1 Sussex
1 Ameraucana
2 Marans
1 Easter Egger
3 Silkies

Other: PM ME PICTURES OF YOUR BIRDS, IT’LL MAKE MY DAY
Last edited by Soundgarden on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:32 am

SoundGarden wrote:Username: SoundGarden
I currently have 30

5 Rhode Island Reds
4 Barred Rocks
2 California Whites
2 White Leg Horns
2 Black Australorps
2 Jersey Giants
1 Buff Orphington
2 Barnevelders
2 Wyandottes
1 Cream Leg Bar
1 Sussex
1 Ameraucana
2 Marans
1 Easter Egger
2 Silkies

Welcome! Now a question for you. I am thinking of getting a silkie or two to live with my polish hens. We get a lot of rain where I am at though. When they get muddy, do they need cleaned off, or can they do that themselves?

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soundgarden » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:42 am

Sparkfire wrote:
SoundGarden wrote:Username: SoundGarden
I currently have 30

5 Rhode Island Reds
4 Barred Rocks
2 California Whites
2 White Leg Horns
2 Black Australorps
2 Jersey Giants
1 Buff Orphington
2 Barnevelders
2 Wyandottes
1 Cream Leg Bar
1 Sussex
1 Ameraucana
2 Marans
1 Easter Egger
2 Silkies

Welcome! Now a question for you. I am thinking of getting a silkie or two to live with my polish hens. We get a lot of rain where I am at though. When they get muddy, do they need cleaned off, or can they do that themselves?

I get a lot of rain to, but my silkies in inside due to the amount i get, since they're so tiny they can get soaked and freeze to death "I know from a sad experience :("

They spend the day outside but sleep inside, so what i'd suggest is if you're gonna get silkies install a heater or heat lamp into your coop to keep them warm, and please keep in mind you'll need to be careful when adding new chickens to a flock.

The chickens that have been there already for awhile will peck them and try to kick them out, so you'd need to slowly add them into the flock or else they can get hurt, especially since silkies are TINY. Mine are only 1 pound each while my normal chickens weight up to 6 pounds, my biggest being 12 pounds.

And usually silkies "depending on what color you get" dont clean very well. So what i'd suggest is getting some darker colored silkies so if they get dirty it's less noticable

For example here's my silkie Nookie Cookie

She's a dark/light grey and when she does get dirty you can't even notice. While a white or very light brown silkie, it would be very easy to tell that they're dirty, and usually they don't clean it all off.

Although they do love baths, just make sure its not to hot or to cold
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Showgirl! Those are adorable!

And I agree. Silkies do take some extra care. They will get dirty. My white one loved to dust bathe and was rarely white. She spent most of her time looking like some zombie chicken because she would get all scraggly.
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soundgarden » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 pm

'Possum wrote:Showgirl! Those are adorable!

And I agree. Silkies do take some extra care. They will get dirty. My white one loved to dust bathe and was rarely white. She spent most of her time looking like some zombie chicken because she would get all scraggly.

I have another hen Baby Girl whos solid white, and she has to get a bath every day because she LOVES dust baths and mud baths
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mothmanofficial » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Then I think I will get something else because we live in a cold climate, and they would be a friend to my polish, who are flock outasts and live in a different pen because the bigger birds killed two of them through the cage bars of my "see but dont touch" cage. They live in a souped up doghouse, and it does not have the electricity that makes my large 25-bird coop so nice. I want bantams to live with my polish however because they are picked on heavily by the larger birds, and bantams would be easier for them to handle. Can you suggest any other breeds who would get along well with two polish that are on the smaller standard/bantam side? I am at my wits end with what to get for companions.

╔══════════════════════════════╗
Ace | He/him| INFP | Avatar FAQ | Carrd
╚══════════════════════════════╝

╔═════════════════════════╗
My head is filled with bees and all of
them are playing the trombone feature
from Phantom Regiment's 2023 show
|Thanks for coming to my TED talk|

╚═════════════════════════╝

Mothmanofficial

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Soundgarden » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Sparkfire wrote:Then I think I will get something else because we live in a cold climate, and they would be a friend to my polish, who are flock outasts and live in a different pen because the bigger birds killed two of them through the cage bars of my "see but dont touch" cage. They live in a souped up doghouse, and it does not have the electricity that makes my large 25-bird coop so nice. I want bantams to live with my polish however because they are picked on heavily by the larger birds, and bantams would be easier for them to handle. Can you suggest any other breeds who would get along well with two polish that are on the smaller standard/bantam side? I am at my wits end with what to get for companions.

I'd suggest easter eggers. They are so gentle and sweet
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

╔══════════╗
signature credit
╚══════════╝
Soundgarden

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby 'Possum » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Sparkfire wrote:Then I think I will get something else because we live in a cold climate, and they would be a friend to my polish, who are flock outasts and live in a different pen because the bigger birds killed two of them through the cage bars of my "see but dont touch" cage. They live in a souped up doghouse, and it does not have the electricity that makes my large 25-bird coop so nice. I want bantams to live with my polish however because they are picked on heavily by the larger birds, and bantams would be easier for them to handle. Can you suggest any other breeds who would get along well with two polish that are on the smaller standard/bantam side? I am at my wits end with what to get for companions.

Cochin bantam, Pekins, D'Uccles, or any of td je other Booted Bantams might work. All of mine have been sweethearts
'Possum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Poultry Lovers Club

Postby bostonlobstah » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:58 am

Username: bostonlobstah
Why are you joining: I have chickens and they are like my pets <3
Favorite poultry bird: bantams <3 so smol and cuddly
Other: I used to have more chickens, but now I have only 5. I have four silkies: vicious, puffy, ginger and bomb-bomb, and one mille fleur d'Uccle named Polly. Also the temporary caretaker of a barred rock named Nalu. I am getting more baby chicks over the summer too!
I'm also on BackYard Chickens :) (If you don't know what that is, please check it out!)

These pets are my chickens I have currently!
Image Vicious!Image Polly!Image Nalu!
bostonlobstah

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me