The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby Kat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:07 am

@.Middy.
You have some really gorgeous rats there. <3
---

Guys, I'm super excited. My two rats might be getting a new buddy soon! I fell in love with this little guy below after seeing his picture online and I'm in the process of buying him.

He's already been nicknamed "Scar" by the breeder, since he was very unfortunately scratched by a cage mate when younger and now has a scar on his head. I think that I'll keep his name as that even though it doesn't really go with my other current pet rodents' names (Victor, Edwin, and Thomas). He's also apparently a complete sweetie who loves to be cuddled. So, the edgy name is kind of hilariously ironic. lol

Scar is around the same age as my two boys and so I'm really hoping that they'll get along nicely. Any tips on how to introduce a new rat? I have another cage set up near the main one that he'll be kept in temporarily. So, they'll be able to smell and see each other. Then I was thinking about introducing them together after a few days on my couch or somewhere else that's neutral ground. Anything else that I can do to make the process go smoothly?

Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:00 am

Gordon And Salvador
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Siskiy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:30 pm

I’ve owned many mice and while I haven’t for some years, I have really been wanting to again lately. I miss the little cuties. Every time I go to the pet store to pick up supplies for my dogs/birds I am always super tempted to get mice again >w< but I’m waiting until I am more financially stable since I already have dogs and birds
Siskiy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:53 pm

8 day baby bellies! Gemli is looking fairly large already, hopefully it’s not a huge litter though! Arizona is looking slightly more round but not as major as Gem

Kat-Thanks! They are pretty awesome, I love them lol
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 am

Hey! I've never posted in this thread before, but I am well on my way to buying a dwarf 9probably winter white) hamster, and I have some questions to ask c:

First, I'm planning on keeping said hamster in a converted 30 gallon (uk) fish tank. I've checked and most places say this is large enough, but I just wanted to double check.

Also, I've done a lot of research on things to feed it, and I'm really considering making my own mix as I don't want to be picking things out of commercial foods and end up messing up the nutrition. I haven't done many calculations yet but do these seem like okay components?
    mealworms, cashew kernels, wild grown rice, silkworm pupa, black cumin seeds, rye, dandelion leaves, millet (silver), grass seed, broccoli florets, amaranth, carrot seeds, mung beans.

I'd be using mixorama to make the mix and it seems okay, but I know I have a lot more research to do and I needed some opinions. Thank you!
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 am

Floofems<3 wrote:Hey! I've never posted in this thread before, but I am well on my way to buying a dwarf 9probably winter white) hamster, and I have some questions to ask c:

First, I'm planning on keeping said hamster in a converted 30 gallon (uk) fish tank. I've checked and most places say this is large enough, but I just wanted to double check.

Also, I've done a lot of research on things to feed it, and I'm really considering making my own mix as I don't want to be picking things out of commercial foods and end up messing up the nutrition. I haven't done many calculations yet but do these seem like okay components?
    mealworms, cashew kernels, wild grown rice, silkworm pupa, black cumin seeds, rye, dandelion leaves, millet (silver), grass seed, broccoli florets, amaranth, carrot seeds, mung beans.

I'd be using mixorama to make the mix and it seems okay, but I know I have a lot more research to do and I needed some opinions. Thank you!

Where have you checked for cage size? Woodgreen Animal Charity recommend:

"The minimum size for a cage housing a pair of dwarf or Chinese hamsters would be 80 cm. long by 50 cm, deep by 35 cm. high (2 ft. wide by 2ft. deep by 1 ft. high)."

Even if you're just getting one, you'd be best to meet this size.

And you don't have to pick things out of commercial food! This has been tested and is balanced and safe. You can also buy complete nuggets which will stop your hamster from picking through their food and choosing their favourites. This is what I feed my own hamster c:
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:01 am

Keriae wrote:
Floofems<3 wrote:Hey! I've never posted in this thread before, but I am well on my way to buying a dwarf 9probably winter white) hamster, and I have some questions to ask c:

"The minimum size for a cage housing a pair of dwarf or Chinese hamsters would be 80 cm. long by 50 cm, deep by 35 cm. high (2 ft. wide by 2ft. deep by 1 ft. high)."

And you don't have to pick things out of commercial food! This has been tested and is balanced and safe. You can also buy complete nuggets which will stop your hamster from picking through their food and choosing their favourites. This is what I feed my own hamster c:

Hi!
So, I just checked the size of the tank and it's 4ft long by 1ft wide by 1ft high. I'm sure this is large enough but I am planning to extend the height so I can hang things for my hamster to climb on.

As for the food though, I've seen a lot of forums that say commercial food can cause diabetes and things because they put too much fatty/sugary things in them that aren't good for dwarf hamsters, especially the honey treats etc. Apparently some of the lab cubes are okay though? Here's a link to a forum I found that sounds good: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/9 ... d-quality/ . I just want to make sure they get all the goodness they need c: However, if I did end up going with commercial food I've read that Burgees harvest is good?
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:12 am

Floofems<3 wrote:
Keriae wrote:

Hi!
So, I just checked the size of the tank and it's 4ft long by 1ft wide by 1ft high. I'm sure this is large enough but I am planning to extend the height so I can hang things for my hamster to climb on.

As for the food though, I've seen a lot of forums that say commercial food can cause diabetes and things because they put too much fatty/sugary things in them that aren't good for dwarf hamsters, especially the honey treats etc. Apparently some of the lab cubes are okay though? Here's a link to a forum I found that sounds good: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/9 ... d-quality/ . I just want to make sure they get all the goodness they need c: However, if I did end up going with commercial food I've read that Burgees harvest is good?

I know lots of people that feed Burgess! I'm on a couple of hamster groups on FB and I've never heard of anyone preparing their own mix - you need a deep knowledge of nutrition and personally I'd find it safer to feed a commercial food and offer fresh foods for variety c:
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby drift. » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:21 am

I'm getting three dumbo baby boys and I can't wait???

Also- this thread doesn't include rabbits, hedghogs and other non-rodent, but still small and rodent like pets. Is there already one specifically for rabbits and I've just missed it..? If none of you guys know that's cool, and I'll check again <3
drift.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skrapple » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello all, haven't posted here in forever but things have been happening lately and I would like some advice. Very recently my remaining rat Fiona lost her two cagemates, one due to old age and the other who showed no signs of illness or injury and passed suddenly. Unfortunately, as I am preparing for college next semester I will have less time to care for rats and as a result can't get another rat/pair of rats to keep her company, and since Fiona is already more than a year and a half old, I have made the decision to keep her as a single rat. I've been reading up on tips for single rat parents but I'd like some more advice for caring for single rats if any of you have any other than the obvious- spending more time with her.

┏──────────────✫──────────────┓

Find me on other sites!
toyhouse ; artfight

✫✫ Hi, I'm Skrapple! ✫✫
I am an adult and
I use she/her pronouns.

┖──────────────✫──────────────┚

┏───────────✫───────────┓
kes. is my boyfriend
and we like to gift each other.
┖───────────✫───────────┚

.┏───────────────────────────✫───────────────────────────┓