The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby cornspurrd. » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Found Gordons Sweet spot, Right behind the ears and you must push his fur forward. He loves it!
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby September Rain » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:11 am

Hey all! This is my first time posting on this thread c:

So one of my friend's teachers has a lot of pets in her classroom, such as a bunny, two guinea pigs, a hamster, and a rat. She's currently taking care of the rat for her friend, who's in the process of moving. The only problem is that the rat seems to be kept in inadequate conditions. For example, it is kept alone, in a small cage with uncovered wire levels, and fed a bad brand of food. It also has very few accessories that will be too small for it once it is an adult (I'm pretty sure she's only a couple months old). I really want to help, but I don't know what to do, as the rat isn't really the teacher's. What should I do?
    If love's elastic, then were
    we born to test its reach?

Is it buried treasure, or
    just a single puzzle piece?
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

September Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stag » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:33 pm

hello! i'm new to this thread and i'd love to post here!

so i have 4 rodents! i raise them all with my best friend!
one hamster, named pepper, shes very sweet! Image
another hamster named eggnog! also a very sweet girl. shes a bit more timid, though! Image
one mouse named cricket! shes very small and loud, she also can jump like a rabbit. Image
another mouse, named beasus! my friend named this one, but shes a real fun mouse. Image
xxxx S T A Gx/ L U X

xxrat and bone lover •ᴗ• he/they, nblw
xxcs rat collection complete 12.26.22 ♡
xxImage Image Image
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXxx

xxx3.9.21 ♡ | pixel | vermin#7777 | ©
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXXXxx
stag

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Lost Gremlin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:50 pm

So just over a week ago I finally managed to get some mice. Whilst I initially wanted a male, there weren't any so I took home a trio of girls. They're still very young and very small, far smaller than I was anticipating, so for now they're living in the nursery cage. I don't think the Alaska I have will ever be suitable for them so I'm thinking about making them a nice bin cage in the next month or two instead.

There's Nugget, who appears to be a mismarked banded cream (or gold?), Scallywag who is black with some white spots and a white belly, and Anna who appears to be a chocolate self and is the smallest. Nugget seems to have fur that's slightly longer than the others. No pictures yet as I can't get them to hold still for long, but soon!
The Lost Gremlin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby satuurnity » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:26 am

I finally got my hamster about four hours ago! She's a Russian dwarf named Pi (as in the number :lol: ) and she's adorable! I haven't seen her take a drink yet although she's had a nibble at her food and a good explore of her cage- she loves her wheel (she looks tiny compared to it) and her little seesaw c: I'm hoping she'll decide to make this little hanging coconut her nest, but at the minute she seems to have decided she'll be comfy in a little burrow behind the wheel. Would anyone like to see some pictures when she's settled in? I'd love to share them! c:

Also @Storming// your hamsters are adorable! Cricket is the cutest thing I've ever seen! c:
satuurnity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:34 am

hey everyone !!!

so, my parents have been open about getting me a hamster, but they're worried about two main things:
      • the short lifespan of the hamster and how i'll be affected emotionally after it passes
      • what the hamster would do/where it would go whenever my family goes out of town

any help with changing their minds about these things, and information on what i can do would be appreciated!!

@floofems i would love to see her !!! she sounds adoRABLE already <3

@the lost gremlin congrats on becoming a mice parent !! i'll be anxiously awaiting their photos c:

@storming aaAAA !! what sweethearts <3 do you and your best friend live together in an apartment/house/dorm/etc?
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby September Rain » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:53 am

Ominous Clouds wrote:Hey all! This is my first time posting on this thread c:

So one of my friend's teachers has a lot of pets in her classroom, such as a bunny, two guinea pigs, a hamster, and a rat. She's currently taking care of the rat for her friend, who's in the process of moving. The only problem is that the rat seems to be kept in inadequate conditions. For example, it is kept alone, in a small cage with uncovered wire levels, and fed a bad brand of food. It also has very few accessories that will be too small for it once it is an adult (I'm pretty sure she's only a couple months old). I really want to help, but I don't know what to do, as the rat isn't really the teacher's. What should I do?
    If love's elastic, then were
    we born to test its reach?

Is it buried treasure, or
    just a single puzzle piece?
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

September Rain

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:59 pm

One last belly picture for these two! They move to their bins tonight to start preparing! I can’t wait!

I also have two more litters due in 21 days! Bred Sparrow to Tinker and Tempe last night! Still have Calliope to breed but she’s maturing a bit slow so I’m giving her extra time to grow first. Trying to decide if I wanna breed her to Sparrow as originally planned or if I wanna use Killian...

I’m also in contact with a breeder who has some nice DWS babies coming available soon, so I’ll likely be adding a DWS line because they are my favorite lol. They are believed to be Velveteen too!. Also going to pick up Karev a variegated doe to prove out his marking and coat type.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sabatea » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:42 am

quidditch wrote:hi! i need to ask a quick question. i'm going to be travelling in a few days and my family would like to meet my grandma for lunch for maybe an hour max. but the thing is, i will have my rats in a small dog carrier/kennel (a pet taxi?).

i will obviously have to leave them in the car, the weather will probably be around 40 - 50 degrees. they would totally be fine in that correct? just want to make sure!

I would recommend against this, honestly. But, if there's no helping it, do the best you can. Park the car somewhere out of the sun, or if it is unavoidable, put the rat carrier somewhere completely out of the sun in the car. The floor, or possibly in the back. Somewhere where the sun won't touch the cage at all. They will do much better in the cold than they will in the heat. I would suggest checking on them often, and make sure that they are still out of the sun and that the car has not gotten too hot. If the car is too hot, you will have to run it and get the AC blowing and cool it down again, but do not blow cold air directly at the pet cage. Let the surrounding air get cold.

Again, I would highly recommend that if it is avoidable, do not leave your pets in the car. Problems can arise very quickly, and if they are not seen to it can cause major issues.

X
X
X
XXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Maplestar image © Chimerect
Sabatea

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:14 am

So, I'm working to create a sectioned off area in my house that is 100% rat proof. My goal is to have them be semi-free range by the end of next week and caged only at night or when I'm otherwise not around to supervise them. Does anyone else do this with their rats /other rodents?

I've also not really been 100% happy with any type of bedding for my rats until recently. I tried carefresh, which made my rats sneeze, fleece, which only seemed to make the sneezing worse and was waaaay too much work to maintain, aspen shavings, which was okay, but I hated the smell. Finally I've decided to try Yesterday's News cat litter and so far I'm liking it the best. Zero dust = zero sneezing, easy to clean, no added smell... It isn't super comfy like carefresh was, but my rats never really liked sleeping on the lowest level of their cage (where the bedding it) anyway. So, that's really no problem. Still using carefresh for my mousey, though...

Also, I snapped a quick picture of Edwin. ;v;

Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me