The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby gamorasass » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:54 am

I need name ideas for this little guy.
      I'm a huge nerd and tried to find a Marvel name for him but couldn't find anything that really fit. I was thinking maybe something for the jungle book too.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm

@Gamora
Hm, he kind of looks like a Bucky to me. Or maybe Rocket, or Drax?

---

I took this picture of my boy, Victor, today. He and his adoptive brother have grown into the biggest rats I've ever owned. I've started buying them cat toys (like the tunnel in the back) because rodent and ferret toys honestly seem a bit too small. haha

Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Kat wrote:
I took this picture of my boy, Victor, today. He and his adoptive brother have grown into the biggest rats I've ever owned. I've started buying them cat toys (like the tunnel in the back) because rodent and ferret toys honestly seem a bit too small. haha

-snip-

He's so cute c:

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:40 am

I actually decided to call him Baloo <3

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 am

I actually decided to call him Baloo <3

@Kat - that's a handsome boy. My Remington was the biggest boy I had, I miss him so much :C

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HowlToTheWind » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am

@Keriae

I know right! It's like, how would you like it if I put you in a closet for the rest of your life? We're going to get a 10 gallon sized tank for the baby once it's gotten used to us so we can actually pick it up XD with our Dwarf hamster, she literally did not care who you were and what you were doing, she'd just nip your fingers lol I had to pick her up out of her carrier when she was brought home, she was super slick and tiny oml I could barely grab her O.O Awww Bella is so cute <3
Cain ∙ all prns ∙ isfp ∙ capricorn
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
thstableart shopcredit
━━━━━━━━━━━━━
"stop thinking so much"
HowlToTheWind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:57 am

nugget's started to eat more, which is good!! i think he was just a bit nervous earlier this week.

@howltothewind you'll have to upgrade the tank when the baby gets older,, !! almost all 10 gallons are too small, so 20+ gallon tanks are recommended !!
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HowlToTheWind » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:59 am

@pompompurin

Got it ^-^ Also, Nugget is so adorable <3
HowlToTheWind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lucas. » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:25 pm

hi everyone! if i could get some kind of help i'd really appreciate it c:

so, we took our guinea pig (gwyn) to the vet today. i should state now, she's only about a year & a half old, so she's p young! she hasn't been eating (which is obviously abnormal for the pigs) and in general, not moving around much (also, she started to breathe strange as well). so we made a visit today and they told us that she had gas bubbles and one huge one was basically pressing against her intestines making it hard to breathe and eat/drink. they ended up giving us three types of medicines (one was an antibiotic, another is to help pass the bubbles, and the last one is the pain). we're supposed to give her the pain once a day, the antibiotic twice a day and the one to help pass and hopefully get rid of the bubbles is twice a day as well, for a week. we were also given critical care to feed her with. she said that if we see gwyn start to eat, that's a good sign! the thing is, it really looks like she wants to eat but she's just incapable of doing so. she even tried eating a piece of lettuce after getting all of her medicine but of course she couldn't end up eating it.

they also hydrated her (by giving her a shot and the water will slowly run out, keeping her okay and hydrated) since she hasn't been drinking either.

however, there's a small issue popping up now. she seems like she's slipping all over and can't really seem to get comfortable or move around comfortably. it's like she's having problems with her back legs. do you think this could be from the pain medication or another issue popping up?

i'll be around occasionally to update everyone on her state as well, but for now i'd love an answer to my question. it's also been proven somewhat hard to feed her the critical care, even with water mixed in & a syringe, mainly just because it's hard to get the food in there. with all the syringes going into her mouth, she gets pretty angry that she has to go through so much.. but there's not much else we could do at this state, y'know? ):

update: we're trying to feed her the critical care, and while she's eating some, she spits a lot of it out and seems to get very angry (with heavier breathing, etc.) we're assuming she might not be as hungry today so we're waiting for the medicine to kick in and hopefully she'll be more cooperative tomorrow.

// @pompomurin: nugget is absolutely adorable, i'm glad to hear he's starting to eat more :)
i've essentially quit when it comes to most cs things. i'll visit for events to gift away pets but that's about all. however, i may be on for adopts/etc.

current status: probably active.
lucas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 pm

HowlToTheWind wrote:@Keriae

I know right! It's like, how would you like it if I put you in a closet for the rest of your life? We're going to get a 10 gallon sized tank for the baby once it's gotten used to us so we can actually pick it up XD with our Dwarf hamster, she literally did not care who you were and what you were doing, she'd just nip your fingers lol I had to pick her up out of her carrier when she was brought home, she was super slick and tiny oml I could barely grab her O.O Awww Bella is so cute <3

Thank you! She knows she's adorable but she's also a little madame xD
    Are you in the US? I have a small list of suitable cages and wheels here!

lucas. wrote:
hi everyone! if i could get some kind of help i'd really appreciate it c:

so, we took our guinea pig (gwyn) to the vet today. i should state now, she's only about a year & a half old, so she's p young! she hasn't been eating (which is obviously abnormal for the pigs) and in general, not moving around much (also, she started to breathe strange as well). so we made a visit today and they told us that she had gas bubbles and one huge one was basically pressing against her intestines making it hard to breathe and eat/drink. they ended up giving us three types of medicines (one was an antibiotic, another is to help pass the bubbles, and the last one is the pain). we're supposed to give her the pain once a day, the antibiotic twice a day and the one to help pass and hopefully get rid of the bubbles is twice a day as well, for a week. we were also given critical care to feed her with. she said that if we see gwyn start to eat, that's a good sign! the thing is, it really looks like she wants to eat but she's just incapable of doing so. she even tried eating a piece of lettuce after getting all of her medicine but of course she couldn't end up eating it.

they also hydrated her (by giving her a shot and the water will slowly run out, keeping her okay and hydrated) since she hasn't been drinking either.

however, there's a small issue popping up now. she seems like she's slipping all over and can't really seem to get comfortable or move around comfortably. it's like she's having problems with her back legs. do you think this could be from the pain medication or another issue popping up?

i'll be around occasionally to update everyone on her state as well, but for now i'd love an answer to my question. it's also been proven somewhat hard to feed her the critical care, even with water mixed in & a syringe, mainly just because it's hard to get the food in there. with all the syringes going into her mouth, she gets pretty angry that she has to go through so much.. but there's not much else we could do at this state, y'know? ):

update: we're trying to feed her the critical care, and while she's eating some, she spits a lot of it out and seems to get very angry (with heavier breathing, etc.) we're assuming she might not be as hungry today so we're waiting for the medicine to kick in and hopefully she'll be more cooperative tomorrow.

// @pompomurin: nugget is absolutely adorable, i'm glad to hear he's starting to eat more :)

Vet vet vet! Any change of behaviour like this should be seen by a vet.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me