The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby ThePetCollector » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Black.Wings wrote:
KittieKatKana wrote:I currently own, raise, and breed Egyptian Spiny Mice and Fancy Mice :)

Do you ship? Because I kinda want a spiny

Unfortunately, right now, I do not ship, they are only available for pick up in Texas. But if I do ever begin to ship, I will definitely let you know, it's just very expensive to ship live animals.
Gift Of Randomness!! But Do Not Ask, You WIll NOT Receive! :)
Gifted Randomly: 65 Times

I WIll Collect Every Pet Possible! It Is MY Mission!
My birthday is October 20th!! :D
Pet collection account, working on adoption center

[b]I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 10 people.
I have received 24 Gifts
Adoption Center- Donations Appreciated to Grow :D
ThePetCollector

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby yves » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:58 am

this is only my second time posting here but i guess a few things have changed since i last did so. as recommended by a worker at pets at home, i took my gerbils to the vets for a health check a few weeks after i got them. and──um, well──moony and padfoot turned out to be female but i guess it must've been hard to determine their gender when they were so young. :\\\ however, since then, i came up with new names for them, after family pets that namely my mum and uncle had as kids. it was also just by coincidence that miffy had a tip on the end of her tail much like the cat miffy did! i also named the other mitzi after a family dachshund who was, too, black.
yves

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Petals » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 am

Hello! I currently have one rat, her name is Dippy. She's 2 years old.

She had a rattie sister named Sniffles, who sadly had to be euthanized at 1 & 1/2 years old because she had a cancerous mammary tumor. It's been 2 months since her death.

I've read that rats should always be kept in at least pairs, because rats are very social and can become lonely. But since Dippy is an old woman, I'm not sure if another rat would be ideal since Dippy might have to pass on soon as well.

Should I get another rat for her? Or would it not be ideal regarding her age?
╔═══════ { ⋆★⋆ } ═══════╗

xxxxx he/him | ♎ | infj

xxImageImage
xxxxxxxxImage
xcurrently hoarding dwarf hamsters

xxxxxxxImage

╚═══════ { ⋆★⋆ } ═══════╝
Petals

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WalkingContradiction » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 am

Petals wrote:Hello! I currently have one rat, her name is Dippy. She's 2 years old.

She had a rattie sister named Sniffles, who sadly had to be euthanized at 1 & 1/2 years old because she had a cancerous mammary tumor. It's been 2 months since her death.

I've read that rats should always be kept in at least pairs, because rats are very social and can become lonely. But since Dippy is an old woman, I'm not sure if another rat would be ideal since Dippy might have to pass on soon as well.

If you feel like you could get another rat maybe get two young rats so they have each other when she passes on at least.
Some rats can be a bit... um weird around new rats and they may not get along but if they do it would be the ideal situation
otherwise try just to spend as much time with her as possible... whenever your in a rat proof room have her out
I haven't had to go through this yet because my ratties are only 1 but it is a topic I've read about before
WalkingContradiction

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:22 am

Petals wrote:Hello! I currently have one rat, her name is Dippy. She's 2 years old.

Do what the user above said, But first, check your shelters and see if there are any older rats there. That way little babies won't annoy your old lady <3
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 am

The recommendation I recieved from a vet was to not get her a new playmate.
I always emphasize that rats must be kept in pairs, but as they grow older, in certain cases this changes.
This decision depends on your rat. Is she doing well or slowing down? If she is slowing down it is better to not get a new companion. A new rat brings in stress and competition before they become friends. If you can, try visiting your vet (or just ask them next time you bring her in) because they will have the best advice suited to Dippy specifically.

I definitely wouldn't recommend getting one young rat, as it will probably bother her for attention. Two is a better idea, but it is possible they may gang up on her seeing as she is not as fast and weaker than them. An old rat is probably your best option age-wise, but once one of them passes away you'll have the same problem again.

If you can spend lots and lots of time with her and she seems to be slowing down a bit, I probably wouldn't get another rat. If she is still spunky and playful, I think you could probably get her a companion <3

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PikaPerfect » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Does anybody here have hamsters, mice, or rats and cats? When I get old enough to move out, I really want to get some mice, rats, hamsters, or something like that, but I also want cats, and possibly a dog (but I’m not sure yet). Does anyone have any good way since to deal with having all of these animals and not, ya know, having them eat each other? I’ve always wanted [insert mice, rats, hamsters here] but I also REALLY want cats, and I don’t particularly want to have to choose ^^”
call me pika - he/him - gay - i like cats, pokemon, and genshin impact
sorry if i don't respond to your DM, random messages give me anxiety 😎✌
The summoning gif worked :)
PikaPerfect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ratsy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:31 pm

PikaPerfect wrote:Does anybody here have hamsters, mice, or rats and cats? When I get old enough to move out, I really want to get some mice, rats, hamsters, or something like that, but I also want cats, and possibly a dog (but I’m not sure yet). Does anyone have any good way since to deal with having all of these animals and not, ya know, having them eat each other? I’ve always wanted [insert mice, rats, hamsters here] but I also REALLY want cats, and I don’t particularly want to have to choose ^^”

Soo, I don't have cats, but I do have two dogs that would definitely eat one of my rats if given the chance. Basically, I just keep my dogs out of the room where the rats are. I haven't had the rats for long, but it really hasn't been an issues.
With a cat, it might be easier-- just close the door to the rat room when you're gone. Since the cat can't really knock over the cage,
you just need to make sure it has small bar spacing and it can't get its paw through.
At least that's my best guess. I'm not the most experienced.
ratsy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WalkingContradiction » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 pm

PikaPerfect wrote:Does anybody here have hamsters, mice, or rats and cats? When I get old enough to move out, I really want to get some mice, rats, hamsters, or something like that, but I also want cats, and possibly a dog (but I’m not sure yet). Does anyone have any good way since to deal with having all of these animals and not, ya know, having them eat each other? I’ve always wanted [insert mice, rats, hamsters here] but I also REALLY want cats, and I don’t particularly want to have to choose ^^”

I also just have dogs... three to be exact. I keep the rats in my room that is at the top of a flight of stairs. For some reason there is a door blocking entrance to the stairs and then two more doors separating my room from my father's office. So I just keep all the doors closed. Yeah basically just separate them.
WalkingContradiction

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 pm

I have cats and dogs and mice and rats and birds and almost anything else you can think of lol.

My cats are pretty well behaved, but most cats will leave rats alone. Rats are very powerful animals especially large males and will even puff up at a predator that bothers them- I had two males charge and hiss at a big hound who tried to sniff their cage and sent him running. Cats prefer to go for easier prey (mice etc). As for mice or smaller animals keep them in a secure enclosure somewhere the cat can't access easily, a heavy tank is good, with a secure sturdy lid.

@petals

It's often recommended to get a pair of youngsters. That way the older rat has company, but the babies have eachother to play with (and when the older rat passes on, there isn't another lonely rat)
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups