The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby meerkat boi. » Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 pm

it's coming up to a year now since I wanted a hamster, and I still don't have one.
    I may be getting it after the summer, since I'll be out of the country for most of the holidays (three weeks in France, four in estonia) and no one would be there to mind a hamster..

May I ask, what are the best things to look for in a hamster? For example, in a pet shop would you try and look for curiosity in the hamster or something about health?

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MotherMother » Tue May 08, 2018 6:52 pm

meerkat boi. wrote:
    it's coming up to a year now since I wanted a hamster, and I still don't have one.
    I may be getting it after the summer, since I'll be out of the country for most of the holidays (three weeks in France, four in estonia) and no one would be there to mind a hamster..

May I ask, what are the best things to look for in a hamster? For example, in a pet shop would you try and look for curiosity in the hamster or something about health?

I hope you can get a hamster! Though I would definitely agree with getting one after your holiday so the little thing isn't lonely while you're gone (: that sound so like a really fun trip!

When picking your pet, no matter where you get it from, always look for good health as a top priority. The hamster should have bright, round, clear eyes, they should not squint nor have discharge in their eyes or nose. Check that the fur is healthy and smooth with no bald patches, and spend some time with the hammy to see if it sneezes or scratches too much.
Second after health is how friendly they are, and more importantly the bond you form. Some hamsters will be more affectionate than others, just like people they all have different personalities! Try asking the breeder or pet store employee if you can hold the hamster to see if you two are a good match.

Also! If you have a choice in where to get your hamster from, I would strongly recommend rescuing one! Rescues are always cleared by a vet for health before being adopted out, volunteers are much more thorough and helpful, and they are just as loving as a brand new baby hamster. You can actually find baby hamsters in shelters, too! Adult hamsters will be able to show you their true personalities, while babies may be more of a guessing game. Either way take a visit to your local shelter and see if they have any up for adoption!
Good luck and I hope you get a new friend!!

------

a
r
t

b
y

K
u
r
a
i.
Image Image
MotherMother

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Tue May 08, 2018 7:18 pm

MotherMother wrote:
meerkat boi. wrote:

I hope you can get a hamster! Though I would definitely agree with getting one after your holiday so the little thing isn't lonely while you're gone (: that sound so like a really fun trip!

When picking your pet, no matter where you get it from, always look for good health as a top priority. The hamster should have bright, round, clear eyes, they should not squint nor have discharge in their eyes or nose. Check that the fur is healthy and smooth with no bald patches, and spend some time with the hammy to see if it sneezes or scratches too much.
Second after health is how friendly they are, and more importantly the bond you form. Some hamsters will be more affectionate than others, just like people they all have different personalities! Try asking the breeder or pet store employee if you can hold the hamster to see if you two are a good match.

Also! If you have a choice in where to get your hamster from, I would strongly recommend rescuing one! Rescues are always cleared by a vet for health before being adopted out, volunteers are much more thorough and helpful, and they are just as loving as a brand new baby hamster. You can actually find baby hamsters in shelters, too! Adult hamsters will be able to show you their true personalities, while babies may be more of a guessing game. Either way take a visit to your local shelter and see if they have any up for adoption!
Good luck and I hope you get a new friend!!

Thank you! I've been to many shelters before, and mainly they only have cats and dogs.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 pm

hello! i changed my username hah, i was formerly resonatings/.mochi

my birthday is coming up in june and i’m really hoping to get a hamster aaaa !! i had mentioned reasons why my parents don’t want me getting one which were: the short lifespan, the inability to take them on vacation, and my mom is worried that they might smell or carry disease..

i’ve thought of plans as to where they would go if we went on vacation; my cousin is our first option, and the second is one of my best friends who has two hamsters (i would most likely have my cousin come to my house, and i could provide a back-up bin cage for going to my friend’s house.)

i’m also prepared for the short lifespan.. i’ve always thought about when my dogs will eventually grow old, as well as any pet i get. i’m hoping to be a vet, so i’ll eventually have to understand this.

as for the odor, i know that in most cases, it’s the tank/cage that smells, so i plan to spot clean daily and deep clean weekly. when cleaning, i’ll obviously wear gloves (i’ve seen people do it without them) as i know there are diseases that hamsters carry, but most i found don’t affect humans.

any other suggestions/tips would be appreciated!!
mars • he/they/she • adult
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Tue May 08, 2018 11:54 pm

pompompurin wrote:

my birthday is coming up in june and i’m really hoping to get a hamster aaaa !! i had mentioned reasons why my parents don’t want me getting one which were: the short lifespan, the inability to take them on vacation, and my mom is worried that they might smell or carry disease..

i’ve thought of plans as to where they would go if we went on vacation; my cousin is our first option, and the second is one of my best friends who has two hamsters (i would most likely have my cousin come to my house, and i could provide a back-up bin cage for going to my friend’s house.)

i’m also prepared for the short lifespan.. i’ve always thought about when my dogs will eventually grow old, as well as any pet i get. i’m hoping to be a vet, so i’ll eventually have to understand this.

as for the odor, i know that in most cases, it’s the tank/cage that smells, so i plan to spot clean daily and deep clean weekly. when cleaning, i’ll obviously wear gloves (i’ve seen people do it without them) as i know there are diseases that hamsters carry, but most i found don’t affect humans.

I wouldn't recommend cleaning every week! You'll be stressing your hammy out and that can cause them to overmark = more smell. Invest in a good substrate, like Carefresh, and spot clean daily. I clean Bella's house out once a week, but I only do a full clean once a month. She doesn't smell at all c:
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 am

I adopted an elderly rat from my local shelter. She's been a lone rat her hole life, so I am not getting her a female friend as a result. She's used to her life now and I'm afraid she won't take to it or she is too weak to handle a young one.

She was in an animal hoarding situation, covered in mites, and had horrible breathing. They believed it to be a URI, as the shelter is not adapt in caring for rats, they did their best, which I appreciate. They treated her using Baytril, but it had no effect. They also treated her for mites and she is now mite free, but has so many sore and itchy scabs on her skin. I adopted her on Friday and noticed how labored her breathing was and made an appointment right away for the next day.

Turns out, she does not have a URI. She had lung scarring/COPD from the living conditions she was in the first two years of her life. Likely the ammonia build up from her cage, and the other twelve guinea pigs she was with, destroyed her lungs. She is on steroids in hopes that it helps her breathing, but so far it has had no effect. She has it prescribed for seven days, so I'm hoping within the next few that she will be breathing better.

She has a few more doses of Revolution to treat the mites to ensure they don't come back. She's also skin and bones and I am working on getting her weight up. She doesn't take to vegetables very much so I don't think she has ever seen one in her life, but thankfully she seems to be enjoying her oxbow and is drinking well. I also feed her about two tablespoons of meat baby food every night and she's been loving that!!

I didn't plan to get another rat, let alone a female since I have 3 unaltered boys, but I am blessed to have her in my life now. She will live the rest of her senior life in a healthy and happy environment.
Attachments
31562151_2120688561280343_6013465727825084416_n.jpg
Princess' Advertisement Photo
31562151_2120688561280343_6013465727825084416_n.jpg (84.07 KiB) Viewed 94 times

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Thu May 10, 2018 2:05 am

pompompurin wrote:

first off guys, sorry about the really embarrassing post about the hamsters a while back, my little cousin got into my account. she desperately wants to breed, and so I had a talk with her yesterday. I explained to her that hamster breeding wasn't to be taken lightly ect. anyway, sorry total tangent there, the spot clean schedule is perfect. i would recommend not deep cleaning until at leads two weeks after you initially get your hamster, it helps reduce stress in a already new environment. after the two weeks, or when you hamster has settled in, a deep clean at least four times a month will do. diseases aren't honestly a big concern, if you get a hamster from a good breeder, and possibly just get a quick checkup by a vet, then you should be fine. pregnant women and young children are at the largest risk, and none of the diseases are truly life-threatening to a healthy person. anyway, you seem that you've planned out getting your hamster very carefully, well done. it's good that one thinks about every problem a hamster could arise, you seem to have done that. other tips i have:
• use absorbent bedding- will help you so much. really keeps the stink out. i would recommend care fresh bedding, safe for you hamster, good quality, and very absorbent.
• you may know this already, but get a hamster wheel! so important! make sure it's large enough, 10-12 inches should be fine, but if yup hamper is large and their back bends quite a bit when they run, definitely upgrade.
• get a large cage, please please please do not get a Critter Trail cage! they are tiny and cruel to you hamster! i use 20+ gallon aquariums or large wire cages.
• adopt don't shop! this is so important, do not buy from petco or pet smart unless you have to! first, try a local rescue. if there are no hamsters in rescues, try Craigslist or Fijiji, if you live in canada. Craigslist is great, because you can see both the mom and dad, and where the hamster grew up. check ads there first. if you do, make sure the person seems knowledgable, the parents and littermates are healthy, and the cage is large. if the breeder does not let you see these things, or does not provide pictures at the least, don't buy. but alas, if you can't find any hamsters anywhere except petco or petsmart, just go ahead and buy there, though really try hard to pick the healthiest animal.
• buy chews. they provide both mental and physical health benefits, they reduce boredom, as well as keep your hamsters teeth in good shape. they're definitely a must-have.

if you have any questions, just post here :)
hope this helps!
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Thu May 10, 2018 11:03 am

King Kakashi wrote:
      I adopted an elderly rat from my local shelter. She's been a lone rat her hole life, so I am not getting her a female friend as a result. She's used to her life now and I'm afraid she won't take to it or she is too weak to handle a young one.

She was in an animal hoarding situation, covered in mites, and had horrible breathing. They believed it to be a URI, as the shelter is not adapt in caring for rats, they did their best, which I appreciate. They treated her using Baytril, but it had no effect. They also treated her for mites and she is now mite free, but has so many sore and itchy scabs on her skin. I adopted her on Friday and noticed how labored her breathing was and made an appointment right away for the next day.

Turns out, she does not have a URI. She had lung scarring/COPD from the living conditions she was in the first two years of her life. Likely the ammonia build up from her cage, and the other twelve guinea pigs she was with, destroyed her lungs. She is on steroids in hopes that it helps her breathing, but so far it has had no effect. She has it prescribed for seven days, so I'm hoping within the next few that she will be breathing better.

She has a few more doses of Revolution to treat the mites to ensure they don't come back. She's also skin and bones and I am working on getting her weight up. She doesn't take to vegetables very much so I don't think she has ever seen one in her life, but thankfully she seems to be enjoying her oxbow and is drinking well. I also feed her about two tablespoons of meat baby food every night and she's been loving that!!

I didn't plan to get another rat, let alone a female since I have 3 unaltered boys, but I am blessed to have her in my life now. She will live the rest of her senior life in a healthy and happy environment.

Poor girl, she looks old and unwell. Steroids and a Baytril + doxy combo might help her but if she really does have scarring then there isn’t much that can be done. I would recommend introducing a pair of kittens to her via the carrier method instead of another older female - that way when she passes the new rat(s) won’t be left alone, and kittens tend to be easier to introduce too. So pleased to hear she’s in a better situation now.
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 am

just a little excited tidbit, hehe.

one of my best friends owns two hamsters, and she's super quiet abt them (doesn't show us pictures, etc.). she sent me photos of their cages on snapchat, and yep... they were crittertrails. i'm the animal nerd in my friend group, so i was happy to give her some pointers on hamster care!! i suggested building bin cages (29 gallons each) for them, and she's planning on doing that. i'm so happy my immense knowledge of this was able to help not only her, but her hamsters as well!! <3 it's also cheaper than buying a crittertrail, from what she said.

@keriae

oh, alright! :0 thank you aa !!

@the enchantress

thank you for all of the tips !! i do plan on getting a detolf for the cage, and i've had some hamsters at the animal shelter i volunteer at, so i'll check that out! carefresh has been on my shopping list for quite a while now, and i've been looking at wheels.

chews are something i plan on having, but i'll make sure to have a TON :>
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jade, » Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 pm

My hamster is still missing. It has been over 2 weeks, and I'm losing hope of finding her. My dad said she was alive, because he saw her, but she was too fast and escaped from his hands. Like, seriously, I only had bought her for less than a week xc Any tips?
Last edited by jade, on Thu May 10, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
★ ★ ███████████████
𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 ────────

jay | she/her | sep. 2
hihi im jade/jay, im n
ot very active on this
site anymore but still
feel free to pm me <3

██
██
██
██

────── 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐍