The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby gamorasass » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:15 am

I cannot wait until next pay day because Nicodemous, my almost six month old rat, will be getting neutered. His aggression is at the point where he's injured some of my boys and I have witnessed it first hand. Even yesterday, as I was feeding them baby food off my hand, he attacked one of his brother's for coming up to me. Enough is enough and I really hope the neutering helps him.
MotherMother wrote:Thank you for your help. I will take her to the vet asap and hope they can treat her.
Do you know if seizures tend to be a one time thing or recurring throughout their whole life?

From my experience, it usually isn't a one time thing. I've had many pets go through seizures, and it never was a one time thing. I would ask you vet about it though, as they are more knowledgeable, and they should also be able to prescribe medication to help your baby.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:39 am

Her eyes are normal, guess it’s just that photo looking odd.

Goals depend on the line, my marble line for instance I’m working on improving size and their degree of marbling. Im also starting to breed towards AFRMA show standards since my state is looking at starting shows up. Hoping to pick up some nice rats from a show breeder in the future.

Another of my new girls! Cynthia here is also pregnant we think which is exciting! I’m so excited to get to go meet all my new piggies next week! It’s been way too long since I’ve had pigs, I’ve missed having them a ton!
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:41 am

.Middy. wrote:Another of my new girls! Cynthia here is also pregnant we think which is exciting! I’m so excited to get to go meet all my new piggies next week! It’s been way too long since I’ve had pigs, I’ve missed having them a ton!

How many pets do you have? You should totally become one of those Pet Youtubers. That's all I watch these days on YouTube xD
      Can you show us your setups for all your animals?

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Middy. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:56 am

King Kakashi wrote:
.Middy. wrote:Another of my new girls! Cynthia here is also pregnant we think which is exciting! I’m so excited to get to go meet all my new piggies next week! It’s been way too long since I’ve had pigs, I’ve missed having them a ton!

How many pets do you have? You should totally become one of those Pet Youtubers. That's all I watch these days on YouTube xD
      Can you show us your setups for all your animals?

Right now I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 22? Adult rats, 11 babies, 3 rabbits, and 2 mice. Then 4 guinea pigs are coming home (friend decided to keep one of the sows) and 3 more rabbits.

I currently don’t have any pics of my set ups lol. I can get some when I get back from vacation though. I’ve got to get cages cleaned and everything prepped for my leaving, so won’t have time for photos until I return.
.Middy.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:31 am

.Middy. wrote:I currently don’t have any pics of my set ups lol. I can get some when I get back from vacation though. I’ve got to get cages cleaned and everything prepped for my leaving, so won’t have time for photos until I return.

I would love to see them when you get the chance! I'm always curious and I binge watch Pet Youtuber videos xD

On another note. I'm trying to rehome two male rats. They were my girlfriend's, whom broke up with me and basically forced her two rats on me because she said she would rehome them to a random stranger since she didn't want them. Long story short, I have 5 rats now. I love them and feel guilty about rehoming them, but they remind me of her and it's not a warm and pleasant feeling. I don't want the situation to lessen my affection for them, so a new home is best. But it's so hard to find someone!!

Any advice? This would be a lot easier if they were puppies -_-

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hocaro Kitsune » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:44 am

Fun fact- I posted on this exact thread when I first joined, and that was almost 5 years ago! :lol:

As of now the only rodent I own right now is a gerbil. What happened is an extremely long story, but basically stuff happened and me and my dad had to leave the house. While we were gone a relative had hired a construction company to take everything out of the house, including the animals. (We believe they were planning on demolishing the house) when I came home the gerbil cage was outside, left opened. There was only 1 gerbil inside and she looked terrified. I brought her inside and she lives alone. I need to get her a friend soon. So basically these people took my all my pets except the gerbils and apparently my rabbit. The reptiles and birds got new homes but the gerbils and rabbit were released :(
Hocaro Kitsune

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:15 am

I was in a pet shop yesterday called petstop and I rushed staight over to the small animals section
Boy was I dissapointed.

They did have a Syrian and a couple of dwarfs but they were all in their hides sleeping!
I saw a 12 inch wheel (for sale) though which enlightened me a bit
They also had gerbils which are soO adorable

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jade, » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:04 pm

My hamster escaped. We had this church group on Saturday and a little kid opened the door to my hamster's cage, and *surprise surprise*, didn't close it. And the thing is, I only JUST got the hamster on Sunday last week. I named her Nutmeg, and I miss her already. Now it is Monday, and I don't even know if she is still alive. I put out strawberries since we did not have cucumbers, which we usually put out if my hamsters went missing.

I tried a bunch of heat detecting and motion detecting apps, but they were all just trash apps for entertainment. I treat this as a really serious matter, and if any of you like to use those heat detecting and motion detecting apps, please, please, please tell me if there is one that actually works.

Also looking for some tips. My old hamster who died recently, Cocoa, escaped tons of times, and the very first time, I was so panicked. When I got her back, I didn't think she would escape again, but she kept escaping. Later on, we found her in the fireplace(I have no idea how, don't ask), and we eventually blocked that up.

Anyway, if any of you fellow smoothians are rodent experts, please help me!
★ ★ ███████████████
𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 ────────

jay | she/her | sep. 2
hihi im jade/jay, im n
ot very active on this
site anymore but still
feel free to pm me <3

██
██
██
██

────── 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐍
██
██
██
██
──────────
coding shop
art shop
coding cred

──────────
██
██
██
██

█████████
────────┐

───────
████
─────𝐁𝐔𝐓
jade,

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 pm

j a d e. wrote:
    My hamster escaped. We had this church group on Saturday and a little kid opened the door to my hamster's cage, and *surprise surprise*, didn't close it. And the thing is, I only JUST got the hamster on Sunday last week. I named her Nutmeg, and I miss her already. Now it is Monday, and I don't even know if she is still alive. I put out strawberries since we did not have cucumbers, which we usually put out if my hamsters went missing.

I tried a bunch of heat detecting and motion detecting apps, but they were all just trash apps for entertainment. I treat this as a really serious matter, and if any of you like to use those heat detecting and motion detecting apps, please, please, please tell me if there is one that actually works.

Also looking for some tips. My old hamster who died recently, Cocoa, escaped tons of times, and the very first time, I was so panicked. When I got her back, I didn't think she would escape again, but she kept escaping. Later on, we found her in the fireplace(I have no idea how, don't ask), and we eventually blocked that up.

Have you put her cage down and left the door open? She might come back to her nest c:
    Apparently you can put down flour, too, to see her tracks. Have you had a proper search around? Do that but leave it until dusk, when she'll be becoming active.
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jade, » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:07 am

Keriae wrote:
j a d e. wrote:

Have you put her cage down and left the door open? She might come back to her nest c:
    Apparently you can put down flour, too, to see her tracks. Have you had a proper search around? Do that but leave it until dusk, when she'll be becoming active.
yes, and I have put little boxes full of bedding, food and carrots to attract her. I am going to check if there is any sign of her
★ ★ ███████████████
𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒 ────────

jay | she/her | sep. 2
hihi im jade/jay, im n
ot very active on this
site anymore but still
feel free to pm me <3

██
██
██
██

────── 𝐌𝐔𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐒 𝐎𝐍