The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby winged-backpack » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Hey, I hope it's okay to post here about this. It's just one of my rats died today and now his cagemate is all on his own. I'd just like to know how I can make sure that Ziggy doesn't die from grief. Thanks everyone who replies.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
call me devon or dev (i'm a mess and so is my gender
they/them pronouns) I love Harry Potter, Star Wars,
and Tim Burton films. Birthday is 27th October ^^

Feel free to PM me about anything!

intj, chaotic neutral, ravenclaw, scorpio

my art shop//also I'm writing a book (16+)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:05 am

winged-backpack wrote:Hey, I hope it's okay to post here about this. It's just one of my rats died today and now his cagemate is all on his own. I'd just like to know how I can make sure that Ziggy doesn't die from grief. Thanks everyone who replies.

The best thing you can do is get another rattie as soon as possible, Make sure its cage mate gets to smell its dead cagemate, So he/She knows it has passed away, And he/she is not confuzed. And make sure you spend as much time with it as possible.
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:00 am

RATS
Attachments
Screenshot 2017-04-21 at 8.50.57 AM.png
Screenshot 2017-04-21 at 8.50.57 AM.png (163.47 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:46 am

Rattielover0709 wrote:
winged-backpack wrote:Hey, I hope it's okay to post here about this. It's just one of my rats died today and now his cagemate is all on his own. I'd just like to know how I can make sure that Ziggy doesn't die from grief. Thanks everyone who replies.

The best thing you can do is get another rattie as soon as possible, Make sure its cage mate gets to smell its dead cagemate, So he/She knows it has passed away, And he/she is not confuzed. And make sure you spend as much time with it as possible.

Thank you for the advice. He seems to be coping well with the loss so I think I'm just going to shower him with as much love as I can, get him loads of new toys and treats so he's as happy as he possibly can be. I know you're not supposed to have a lone rat, but getting another is kind of out of the question, due to space, money and the fact that I'll be going off to uni soon. His brother actually died in the cage so he was probably with him to the last second, and that may contribute to how well he seems to be coping.
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN

winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoloft » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:47 pm

hi guys!! i was wondering how you think i can convince my dad to get me a rat. i've started writing an essay and citing my sources and i'm gonna send it to him c': so far i've basically got that animals help depression, rats are smart, nd rats are pretty easy to care for. any help would be awesome cuz i need a little buddy ;0;

live and learn
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
i'm not gonna sit around and feel
guilty for every mistake i've ever
made. if you think you're perfect,
you're wrong. no one is without a
flaw. what matters is how we
correct the wrongs we've done.
you can't just 'cancel' somebody
because they mess up.

i used to be more active on
ix herexbutxixdont really play
ix much anymore. feel free to
ix send me a pm if you want a
ix friend though!xxxxxxxxxxx

zoloft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby junkmonkey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:01 pm

brumous wrote:hi guys!! i was wondering how you think i can convince my dad to get me a rat. i've started writing an essay and citing my sources and i'm gonna send it to him c': so far i've basically got that animals help depression, rats are smart, nd rats are pretty easy to care for. any help would be awesome cuz i need a little buddy ;0;

Sounds like what you're doing so far is awesome!! That's a very mature and rational way to convince a parent. The only thing I suggest is getting two rats instead of one. They are social creatures, and unfortunately no human could replace the constant contact, grooming, and cuddling of another rat. I wish you luck!<3

ImageImage

Avatar © ThorsHammer94539 on Flickr
junkmonkey

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby zoloft » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:41 pm

four-legged-song wrote:
brumous wrote:hi guys!! i was wondering how you think i can convince my dad to get me a rat. i've started writing an essay and citing my sources and i'm gonna send it to him c': so far i've basically got that animals help depression, rats are smart, nd rats are pretty easy to care for. any help would be awesome cuz i need a little buddy ;0;

Sounds like what you're doing so far is awesome!! That's a very mature and rational way to convince a parent. The only thing I suggest is getting two rats instead of one. They are social creatures, and unfortunately no human could replace the constant contact, grooming, and cuddling of another rat. I wish you luck!<3

yeah! i discovered that when i was researching. i put that into the essay actually uwu thank you so much for your advice!!

live and learn
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
i'm not gonna sit around and feel
guilty for every mistake i've ever
made. if you think you're perfect,
you're wrong. no one is without a
flaw. what matters is how we
correct the wrongs we've done.
you can't just 'cancel' somebody
because they mess up.

i used to be more active on
ix herexbutxixdont really play
ix much anymore. feel free to
ix send me a pm if you want a
ix friend though!xxxxxxxxxxx

zoloft

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skrapple » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:20 pm

brumous wrote:
four-legged-song wrote:

yeah! i discovered that when i was researching. i put that into the essay actually uwu thank you so much for your advice!!

One of my favorite youtubers did a video on how to convince your parents to let you get pet rats! they bring up a lot of good things to know and say, and all their other videos are fantastic as well. They mention it in the video, but their Rattiepedia playlist has amazing information you'll need to know about keeping pet rats! Being educated is the first step to looking mature to your parents. Best of luck convincing them!

┏──────────────✫──────────────┓

Find me on other sites!
toyhouse ; artfight

✫✫ Hi, I'm Skrapple! ✫✫
I am an adult and
I use she/her pronouns.

┖──────────────✫──────────────┚

┏───────────✫───────────┓
kes. is my boyfriend
and we like to gift each other.
┖───────────✫───────────┚

.┏───────────────────────────✫───────────────────────────┓

Pet's name: Cinnamon

┖───────────────────────────✫───────────────────────────┚
skrapple

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby winged-backpack » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:03 am

Keep doing what you're doing! What you're doing is exactly how I convinced my dad and stepmother to let me have 2 rats! Mine was 4 pages long with a full bibliography and a price list, including the amount it was going to cost (which I recommend). Play with your dad's sympathies, use some cute pictures. Write about the negatives and the positives, don't be biased, because you don't want your dad to regret his decision and not have the evidence to point out that you already told him about it. If you'd like me to send you my essay to reference, shoot me a PM ^^

As a little update: Ziggy seems to still be coping well after losing his brother. I'm thinking I may have a chat with my dad about possibly getting him a buddy or two, seeing as he's going to have very little attention once I start school again. It is really down to whether my dad will be able to look after them once I've gone to uni (September 2018).
xxxxxAND I
THE PUMPKIN

winged-backpack

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby silkteeth. » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:45 am

my little sister (aged six) recently got a sweet baby syrian hamster as a birthday gift. my mother thought getting a child an animal as a birthday gift was a good idea – i'm really unhappy about it. sure, i'm jealous but that's not why – she treats it like a toy rather than an animal. my mother doesn't really care about it either, other than me, nobody sees it as anything but entertainment.

so i'm looking after him, keeping him fed, clean etcetera but i've noticed something today; his rear fur is kind of clumpy, as if it's wet? it could just be water, but since this is the first time i've cared for a rodent i'm nervous is could be wet tail or something along those lines? from what i've seen he's perfectly healthy and hasn't made a sound since he came home with us – he's happy, and surprisingly tame for a pet store bought hamster, but i'm still really anxious because 1) i'm really attached to this little ball of joy 2) i don't want my sister to be upset if he passes away so soon and 3) since my mother doesn't really see him as very important, i'm afraid that if it is something serious, he'll be left untreated.

so i was wondering if anybody who's had a pet hamster has experienced wet tail would be able to give me some advice, or anybody who knows any information about it. i'm probably being dramatic and he's 9/10 fine, but i really don't want him to be suffering and for me to be unaware of it.

update : the 'wetness' has disappeared now, and since it had no coloration nor scent, i'm going to assume it was water or something along those lines. he's perfectly fine -- i'm even learning new things about him! he's really curious and goofy, he prefers jumping and climbing instead of walking normally . . heck, i love him. he's such a character.
silkteeth.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me