The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby mediocre mackerel » Thu May 10, 2018 5:04 pm

can someone explain to me how fleece bedding/fleece cage liners work? (for guinea pigs) i understand it's more convenient than bedding since it's easier to see the poop and easier to clean the poop, but what about pee? like, wouldn't the fleece absorb the pee since it's a cloth then the pee would dry and it would smell and crust and all that nastiness? i'm just so confused :'L

platy she/her
came back for the oekaki (again)

insta gallery artfight
mediocre mackerel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keriae » Thu May 10, 2018 8:01 pm

pompompurin wrote:
      just a little excited tidbit, hehe.

one of my best friends owns two hamsters, and she's super quiet abt them (doesn't show us pictures, etc.). she sent me photos of their cages on snapchat, and yep... they were crittertrails. i'm the animal nerd in my friend group, so i was happy to give her some pointers on hamster care!! i suggested building bin cages (29 gallons each) for them, and she's planning on doing that. i'm so happy my immense knowledge of this was able to help not only her, but her hamsters as well!! <3 it's also cheaper than buying a crittertrail, from what she said.

@keriae

oh, alright! :0 thank you aa !!

@the enchantress

thank you for all of the tips !! i do plan on getting a detolf for the cage, and i've had some hamsters at the animal shelter i volunteer at, so i'll check that out! carefresh has been on my shopping list for quite a while now, and i've been looking at wheels.

chews are something i plan on having, but i'll make sure to have a TON :>

I have a list of links here, for all your hamster needs c:
Keriae

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby gamorasass » Fri May 11, 2018 12:30 am

Kisiel wrote:Poor girl, she looks old and unwell. Steroids and a Baytril + doxy combo might help her but if she really does have scarring then there isn’t much that can be done. I would recommend introducing a pair of kittens to her via the carrier method instead of another older female - that way when she passes the new rat(s) won’t be left alone, and kittens tend to be easier to introduce too. So pleased to hear she’s in a better situation now.

I'm hesitant to even put others with her because she just seems so fragile. Plus, she's been alone her entire life. The baytril and steroids have not been helping so I phoned my vet and waiting to hear back from him regarding what he wants to do. I really hope there is something we can find to help her lungs as it pains me to watch her labored breathing. She's one happy rat now tho!
CrackerQuacker wrote:can someone explain to me how fleece bedding/fleece cage liners work? (for guinea pigs) i understand it's more convenient than bedding since it's easier to see the poop and easier to clean the poop, but what about pee? like, wouldn't the fleece absorb the pee since it's a cloth then the pee would dry and it would smell and crust and all that nastiness? i'm just so confused :'L

It is recommended that the fleece is changed every second or third day to avoid ammonia build up. If you keep on top of it, it won't smell or crust. You just have to make sure you clean it properly.

This is a video to one of my favorite and most recommended Guinea Pig YouTubers. She uses fleece and shows how she works with it.

♕── IT'S JUST SOME]XXX
      XXXXUNSPOKEN THING

just you average marvel nerd &
      starmora enthusiast living life as
      a full time working cat mom!
      LIGHTS OFF!

┌──────────────────┐
      service dog chat job chat
      └──────────────────┘
gamorasass

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kainé » Fri May 11, 2018 3:01 am

I got a new guinea pig friend for my sow, and they're currently in a divided cage and they're able to see and sniff each other. They have chattered and nipped a little bit, but neither has really tried to dominate the other.

Both piggies have lived solo for an extended period of time, and are about a year old. Should I introduce them more slowly so the bonding goes better? I've bonded rabbits, but not guinea pigs so I'm still new to this. Any advice?
Kainé

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Sat May 12, 2018 1:46 pm

pompompurin wrote:
      just a little excited tidbit, hehe.

one of my best friends owns two hamsters, and she's super quiet abt them (doesn't show us pictures, etc.). she sent me photos of their cages on snapchat, and yep... they were crittertrails. i'm the animal nerd in my friend group, so i was happy to give her some pointers on hamster care!! i suggested building bin cages (29 gallons each) for them, and she's planning on doing that. i'm so happy my immense knowledge of this was able to help not only her, but her hamsters as well!! <3 it's also cheaper than buying a crittertrail, from what she said.

@keriae

oh, alright! :0 thank you aa !!

@the enchantress

thank you for all of the tips !! i do plan on getting a detolf for the cage, and i've had some hamsters at the animal shelter i volunteer at, so i'll check that out! carefresh has been on my shopping list for quite a while now, and i've been looking at wheels.

chews are something i plan on having, but i'll make sure to have a TON :>

Yup yup. It's so much easier (and cheaper) to just make a DIY bin cage than buy a CritterTrail XD. I don't know why people do this. Anyway, I hope that the hamsters go well, and good luck ^^
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby RhythmicWolf » Sun May 20, 2018 5:05 am

CrackerQuacker wrote:can someone explain to me how fleece bedding/fleece cage liners work? (for guinea pigs) i understand it's more convenient than bedding since it's easier to see the poop and easier to clean the poop, but what about pee? like, wouldn't the fleece absorb the pee since it's a cloth then the pee would dry and it would smell and crust and all that nastiness? i'm just so confused :'L

i have fleece in with my chinchillas. its not just straight up fleece, but an absorbent fabric between two pieces of fleece. the fleece is washed about 3 times so that liquid passes through it instead of sitting on top of it. i find that it actually stays very dry! the pee just goes through and gets absorbed by the second layer. it is such a nice change from scooping litter. i have 2 chinchillas and i change the fleece every 3 or 4 days - i just pull them out, put on my second set, shake the poos off outside and throw them in the wash!

if you or anyone else has any other questions about them, feel free to pm me!

on another note:

are there any chinchilla owners here with a bonded pair/experience there? i had to separate my two and they really arent taking it well, but theres no other solution at the moment, and i dont know what i should do, if anything. please shoot me a pm if you can help. i can explain further, i just dont want to upset anybody by posting it here (not a pleasant story)
RhythmicWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mediocre mackerel » Sun May 20, 2018 5:14 am

Thank you all on the advice for fleece! Will be changing soon :)

platy she/her
came back for the oekaki (again)

insta gallery artfight
mediocre mackerel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Sun May 20, 2018 3:54 pm

i’ve been looking at DIY cage options, and i’m stuck between building a cage with the ikea BILLY height extension units, or BILLY bookcases (without shelves and with one side removed.)

i think my parents are going to let me get one soon, finally!! i’ve been thinking of names and i’m in love with the names nugget, shuri, and pippa.
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .cherry blossom. » Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 pm

pompompurin wrote:
      i’ve been looking at DIY cage options, and i’m stuck between building a cage with the ikea BILLY height extension units, or BILLY bookcases (without shelves and with one side removed.)

i think my parents are going to let me get one soon, finally!! i’ve been thinking of names and i’m in love with the names nugget, shuri, and pippa.

Hmm, both seem like good options. However, I'd check the wood on both of those, make sure they're safe and not treated. i love the hamster names, I currently have three Syrians, Kaui, a small calico girl, Spark, a grey and silver girl, and Moore Runner or Boo as we call him (came from a hamster breeder, also is a show hamster, so he gets a fancy name), he's a long haired rust boy with markings. I love them all so much <3. Let me know when you get your hamster, love to see him/her :P
.cherry blossom.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ghostmaker » Wed May 23, 2018 11:51 am

does anybody have any good, reliable water bottles i could use for a robo dwarf hamster?

@the enchantress thank you for the tips !! i'll be sure to post photos c:
ghostmaker

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me